Style Name: Transit Sling 250 AW|Change

VINE VOICEon 24 November 2013
Style Name: Transit Sling 250 AW|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My wife says I have too many camera bags, (actually only four, not including this), and my usual bag was becoming a problem to use, because of problems in my hip and back with arthritis. I also own a Lowepro AW 200 Slingback, but I only really use it if going on a longish trip where more than one camera & lenses are needed.
Where this bag scores, is it has the practicality of the AW 200, but in a more compact package. It hasn't the bulk or weight, and as it holds less, I am less likely to be tempted to stick extra bodies or bits and pieces in! It will still easily hold a DSLR & three lenses, and, if you need it, a smaller sized tablet. It is all easily accessible, and the interior is customizable with movable Velcro dividers. Build quality is high, being a Lowepro, and it is very comfortable to use. (It had its first outing the afternoon it arrived!)

What you really need to know, though, is my wifes' opinion. She says the grey colour goes nicely with my winter jacket...
I think that Lowepro probably make the finest camera bags in the world. They have a huge range, innovative features, and cover everyone from the holiday snapper to the pro-photographer who has to carry a ton of gear around. I own several of their bags in various sizes and they are all in regular use.

I've never had one of their sling bags, though. A friend of mine owns two in different sizes and I often envy the ease with which his camera can be accessed in a hurry, yet carried safely protected in a lightweight bag. The idea of the sling bags is that when you want access to the camera, you slide the bag around from your back to your front, at which point the side-entry panel is facing upwards with your camera sitting comfortably inside with ready access available and no danger of the camera falling out.

So I was quite excited when the opportunity to test this newer model came along.

As usual with Lowepro bags there are pockets all over the place - so there's never a shortage of space to carry batteries and spare flash cards and the other odds and ends that end up in a camera bag. There's even a pocket for your tablet; fastenings to carry a tripod on one side of the bag; and Lowepro's usual built in rain cover.

The first thing that caught my attention on this bag was the unusual curved zip on the back of the bag that gives access to a shallow pocket. Unusually for Lowepro the curved zip seems only to be there to look attractive and add a feature to the otherwise featureless back of the bag while, at the same time, drawing the eye to their logo.

Anyway, I got my Canon 6D out and popped it into the side pocket. Along with its 24-105mm L lens, with lens hood attached and facing the right way, it fitted beautifully - apart from the strap which needed to be jammed in. Great, that was exactly what I wanted, a small bag to carry that camera and lens, plus space in the bag for another medium sized lens (my Canon 100mm macro fits in snugly).

Bag on, camera safely inside, and swung round to my chest, I opened the now top flap and what a struggle to get the camera out. The design of this pocket means the left side of the camera catches under the opening and the lack of space on the right hand side means it's difficult to get a firm grip on the camera. I just couldn't squeeze my hand into the space. This was a total fail. Tried it with a Canon 40D - same problem. Fished out my older, and much smaller, 400D and that was fine. So this bag works as intended with smaller dSLRs, but not with full frame or other larger models. All it needed was an opening just an inch or two wider and it would have been brilliant. This was a serious let down for me.

Mind you Lowepro have not completely ignored the serious photographer with this bag. There is an alternative divider arrangement that will accommodate full frame cameras, fitted with a big telephoto like the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens, but this needs a serious re-arrangement of the internal dividers and access to the camera is then through the `top' of the bag (when worn on the back that is). When the bag is slid around to the front this pocket is now on the side and, to me at least, gives an opportunity for the camera to drop out of the bag. This means it's back to taking the bag off and putting it down to get at my camera - something that seems to me to be what the sling design of this bag is meant to avoid.

Yes, it will carry my camera and some lenses and bits comfortably. No, it won't allow the easy access that it is designed for, so sorry it's a fail for anyone with a large camera, but a wonderful success for anyone with a smaller dSLR. Consequently for me this is only worthy of three stars. However, if you have a small dSLR then you can consider this a 5 star product.
Assuming you like sling-type bags (the jury is still out for me) this is about as good as it gets.
I have used LowePro products for over 25 years. In terms of the hierarchy of camera bags, they are about at the top of the tree, with Kata and ThinkTank just behind (but possibly better for rolling cases) and Billingham peerless if you want traditional design and craftsmanship.
The Transit 250AW is in the new LP line up. It has their usual high quality construction and attention to detail. This is large enough for a medium sized DSLR kit - a body and 2 or 3 lenses, flash, etc. The internal layout can be configured to hold a body with a 70-200 f2.8 big lens held vertically or for a smaller lens / body combination (say 24-105) to be used laterally for side access. There is room for extra kit and your own things and a slot at the back for a tablet (my iPad2 fits fine). There's a front access zipped pocket and mesh pockets (etc) for filters and the like. The bag can also take a tripod / monopod but perhaps more usefully, it has the tabs to hold the attachments for LowePro's accessory pouches (e.g. drinks bottle holder, extra storage). There is also a AW (all weather) cover but my health warning with all these types of bags is that they are fine for urban travel use / city break / 'dry' holiday but I wouldn't use them in wilderness areas or really challenging environments. The rain cover is not that heavy duty. But the cushioning is excellent and the bag strikes a good compromise between weight / bulk and protection.
I would whole-heartedly endorse this product - highly recommended and you can use with confidence.
on 27 September 2013
I love this bag. I already own a Lowepro Classified 160 AW, an excellent bag for top loading but I wanted something that would carry all my gear and the Classified didn't quite do that.
The Lowepro Transit does the job. The compartments can be easily reconfigured and the bag holds all my gear with space for a tripod on the outside (3 lenses, Camera, flash gun, filters, media case and still some spare room. The bag doesn't feel bulky and is easy to get on and off. All the usual thoughtful Lowepro features and excellent detailing including full rain cover and thoughtful strapping arrangements to make carrying easy. With extra battery case on my Nikon D7000 I can't figure out getting the camera into an out of the side compartment arrangement for quick access but I don't regard that as a problem as the bag does all I ask of it.
on 4 September 2015
I ordered this when it was offered as a daily deal. It arrived within four days and was in fine condition. I had used a camera bag previously but it hung off my shoulder and felt a bit cumbersome at times. I knew Lowe Pro have a good reputation for camera bags so with the opportunity to purchase it at a lower price I decided to try one out.

I like the strap across the chest. At first it felt a bit odd but once you get used to it it's actually quite useful. There is a pocket on the side of the bag to the bottom which allows access to the camera stored there. Being able to quickly slide the bag to my front to quickly access this pocket is very useful to catch those subjects which suddenly appear for a short moment when out walking, etc.

The Velcro pockets make it very easy to adjust the internal layout of the bag to suit your particular equipment, a very handy feature especially with differing lenses.

It is a sturdy well constructed bag and I would recommend it to photographers.
on 23 May 2014
Spent ages sizing bags, reading reviews, searching for a bag for a canon 7d with a 400mm 5.6 attached. Not easy! I wanted a small bag to protect the gear in the car and on the bike while I'm out and about. Didn't bother trying to track one down as I know I can return Amazon stuff.
The bag is PERFECT for my needs. Fits the gear above with additional lens or two. (10-22mm and a 1.4 tele) or one larger lens laying upright. Has room to spare for blower brush spare battery/s memory cards. Wallet fits in outer pocket too.
Can be reconfigured so the side zip can be used and the bag can act as a working platform in front across chest. It'll carry a tri or monopod as well!

Great piece of kit and very portable, works perfect on bike slung on back or chest. Doesn't interfere with helmet like a rucksack can.
Decent colour and discreet, no be except a photo anorak will guess what you're carrying!!
on 14 May 2016
Pleased with the bag overall, it's smaller than the pictures make it look. I wanted to carry my iPad Pro (12.9) with the camera set up to allow me to edit once photos taken. I didn't think the bag would be big enough (250) however reviews on Amazon.com say that you can take the stitching out of the bottom and it will hold a MacBook Air so I thought I would do the same as not adverse to removing the stitching. It doesn't, it's not the depth that is the problem, it's the angle at which the zip goes, it only unzips maybe a quarter circle and it's simply not wide enough to get the iPad Pro in to. Having had a MacBook Air previously, I am unconvinced it would fit easily but can't say for definite. In terms of the bag itself, it's brilliant for the camera, 3 lenses, filters and tripod. Nice and lightweight. It actually encourages me to take my camera more as it's easy to pick up and walk with and I don't tire of carrying it.
on 16 January 2014
I think I was probably duped by the photo into thinking this bag was actually bigger than it was. Yes you can get an iPad and camera into the bag, but the truth is you can't get much else and it needs to be a small camera too.

Unfortunately, this was not big enough for all of my gear, but the quality is there for all to see. If you've only got a small amount of kit this is ideal. The additional weather proofing of this also makes it ideal for all weathers.
on 15 January 2015
Great piece of kit. Perfect for my needs as flight cabin luggage to carry a large DSLR , 2 lens's, iPad batteries, memory cards
on 3 August 2015
Would recommend this to anyone with an DSLR camera.
It is slimline and the sling strap is very comfortable. The side pocket is ideal for accessing your camera without having to take the bag off. The velcro dividers mean that it is fully adaptable. We haven't used the waterproof cover yet, but that is stored underneath and it seems really easy to slip on and off.