5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the DVD!
Published 10 months ago by alex

2.0 out of 5 stars What am I missing? :(
I was so excited to see “Populaire”, and then it was dragging on and I was getting more and more impatient… And then it ended (with the French sex symbol Romain Duris getting a girl, ah the happily ever after!).

Published 23 days ago by Lola

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the DVD!, 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
I first watched this on a flight home from South Africa. I only switched it on in the hope that it would be soothing and the different language would send me to sleep (I can never seem to sleep on long hauls). I didn't even get round to trying to sleep until I had watched this 3 times back-to-back, I just couldn't seem to stop watching. The guy next to me was giving me very odd looks as I lent further and further out of my seat as the film carried me away in it's glamourous, romantic, whirlwind spell. It's maybe not the most original of plots; the will they won't they followed by the dramatic break just as they are happy followed by a romantic reunion was ovbious from the moment it started but the whole thing was still so different that I found myself carried along with the emotions of the film and its characters.
The first thing I did when I got access to wifi at the airport was google the dvd release date which is saying something! I might have to book another long haul flight just so I can watch this again between now and it's release!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST FILM THIS SUMMER, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
I went to see this film last month when it came out and I can honestly say that it is a fantastic movie! I have loved French cinema ever since I started learning French when I was 12 in school. I am now fluent in French and love watching French films as the French can do it all - humour, drama, sinister plots, romance etc. This film is a real romantic comedy. The relationship between the main characters is very much that of Professor Higgins and Eliza in My Fair Lady. Duris makes his secretary set up home for a short period of time in his house whilst he oversees her studying (of the typewriter). I laughed so much when watching this as it is a real feel good movie. I will be buying it on Amazon as soon as it is released in the UK - make no doubt about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely witty film, 6 Oct 2013
F. Patel (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Populaire [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Only the French could make a film about typing into such a wonderful adventure. Yes ,you heard that right, it's about typing, basically its 'Rocky' but instead of the boxing ring its a typing competition. But there's so much more than a simple pugilistic quest to the top, its funnier, darker and most of all much more enjoyable. The directors made the perfect choice when picking the main characters and they bounce off each other effortlessly, this is further reinforced by the period the film is set in. If you can't speak French and hate subtitles, then no problem, go to settings set it to the audio commentary and you effectively have it set for English dubbing. All in all this is a wonderful film which should leave you with a huge smile on your face.

2.0 out of 5 stars What am I missing? :(, 16 Jun 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)

“Populaire" is a light-hearted comedy, a story of a small-town pretty blonde who moves to the big city of Paris, where her rapid typing brings her into an international competition. Okay, that’s the narrative (not the most exciting, truth be told), but what about the morale? What about the STORY? I am not even talking about the love story – Deborah Francois’s heroine does not have much personality and charm and Romain Duris’ character is no Don Draper (despite the suit and wooden face!).

What is this film about? Is this about the girl’s dream job? The idealisation of speed typing? The idolisation of the secretary? Ah the speed-typing competitions, they are big and full of suspense and bring you contracts with producers of the typewriting machines. I repeat my question, what is this film about?

5.0 out of 5 stars A typewriter story with a difference, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
Who ever heard of typewriting competitions either at a local, national or international level? This is a charming film that is full of humour. An off beat story of dedication, endevour and, of course, romance that I found novel and amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy Gold, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this in the cinema and it is very good and very clever. The film fantastically captures the era of the 1950s, and is reminiscent of Doris Day / Rock Hudson type films of that age rather than the Ewan McGregor / Rene Zellwegger attempt. The French do some very good comedies, so if you have not seen one before you could do worse than start with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A major hit?..I hope so!, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Populaire (DVD)
If this film becomes one of those unexpected major hits I will not be at all surprised.
It has all the advantages of nostalgia for the fifties combined with a knowing modern take that brings back
all the elements of humour, glamour and romance that used to be in abundance in
the cinema of the fifties. If that is generally missing in films of today.......No worries!
For here is a film that will, I hope, restore a jaded mindset to produce
a feel good factor that lasts beyond the one hour fifty five minutes in the cinema or
the DVD.
I have to say I loved every minute of it.
And repeatability? It has that too.
What is it about the French language that is so appealing?

5.0 out of 5 stars POPULAIRE directed by Régis Roinsard, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Populaire [DVD] (DVD)
A rubbish secretary with a gift for typing fast is trained by her tortured boss to compete in the speed-typing contests that were popular in the 1960s, in the hope of escaping her small town roots -- and maybe finding love with him.

This is a frothy, technicolor-dream of a film. It's essentially a sport film - only with speed-typing instead - which hits all the classic beats, only with a Gallic bent -- right down to the world final being France vs. America.

It isn't the destination that matters though; it's the journey. In this case that means a superbly colourful evocation of the 1960s twinned with a charming romance as only the French can do (i.e. it's realistically sexist). Slight but wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Populaire (Amazon Instant Video)
Light hearted comedy. I didn't expect it to be good and I surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed watching it! I felt Romain Duris wasn't in his comfort zone with this role, but he managed to be convincing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet romantic comedy of another age, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Populaire (Blu-ray)
You'd think this filme is actually made in the end of the 50s. There are some modern easter eggs like when they smoke a thte office and talk about a law that could stop that. If you want to watch something soothing, sweet and different I recommend it.

Populaire [Blu-ray]
Populaire [Blu-ray] by Régis Roinsard (Blu-ray - 2013)