Published 10 months ago by Bobbewig

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea but a couple of flaws.
A different approach to holocaust fiction telling the story of a Jewish lawyer having to defend an SS Officer for murder of another SS Officer in Auschwitz - linked to a back story of his life & work in Berlin in 1920s/30s. Would have got 4 stars apart from a couple of errors any holocaust historian would have immediately picked up but still a worthwhile read.
Published 2 months ago by Michael Foster

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent -- Don't Let The Fact That This Book Is Self-Published Dissuade You From Reading It!, 10 Sep 2013
Bobbewig (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
A few months ago the author, J.C. Stephenson, emailed me to request that I accept a free copy of his self-published book, called A Murder In Auschwitz, in return for an honest review. I don't usually accept invitations of this type for two reasons: (1) Because what is often being asked for when accepting a free book is not "an honest review" but "a favorable review," and I'm not the type of person who'll say anything other than what I truly feel about a book in my review; and (2) I have a tendency to believe that a book that has to be self-published isn't going as good as a book published by a well-known publishing house.

Despite my above-mentioned reasons, I recently decided to read A Murder In Auschwitz rather than reading a book from some "proven" author sitting on the top of the mountain of books I have waiting to be read. My main reason for doing so is due to its intriguing title and plot, which can be read about in the Amazon Book Description above. I particularly liked knowing that the author chose to tell his legal thriller set in Germany (and subsequently in Auschwitz) while alternating between the years of 1929 and 1944.

Having now finished this book, I have only very high praise for it; and, as such, highly recommend it to anyone interested in historical fiction during this period in history, legal thrillers, books with very well-developed characters, and a narrative style that enables the reader to feel that they are "right there" experiencing everything the characters are experiencing. A Murder In Auschwitz is a book that I found very difficult to put down due to the emotional impact and nicely woven surprises it provides. And, while the well-written chapters that take place in Auschwitz are very emotional and realistic, they (thankfully) do not dwell on their gruesomeness. Despite the awful period and places in which the book is set, Stephenson's book is more than a good work of historical fiction and a good legal thriller. It, for me, is an excellent tale of the powerful love a man has for his wife and children and what he is willing to do to hold on to that love -- even if only for one more minute.

Why all of the big publishing houses passed on publishing A Murder In Auschwitz is a mystery to me -- perhaps a bigger mystery than the one provided in the book itself -- as it is one of the better books I've read recently.

4 1/2 stars rounded up to 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars love this book, 11 July 2013
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
This book had me from beginning to end. Although it is set during the one of the worst periods in our history there is love, companionship and even laughter throughout the story. I have already recommended this book to friends. Unfortunately the friends who do not have a kindle etc (there are still lots of them about) are unable to read this excellent book as it is not available in print. I hope a publishing company pick up this book and make it available to everyone .

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
First I read the sampler and then had to get this, Without a doubt its one of the best books I have read on this subject and i've read quite a few. In my opinion the main character in the book enacted a cunning revenge on the camps guards and went to his final departure with true dignity hand in hand with the person most dear to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally gripping, 28 April 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
My husband has photographed the author for a magazine and he kindly gave us a copy.
Of course we all know the story of Auschwitz and you may wonder what else is there to find out and why would you want to??
I could hardly bring myself to start it, but actually, although the level of detail is quite mind blowing, for some reason, it is not unbearably harrowing, you are taken on a sort of 'ride', moment by moment, and each moment is in itself quite bearable....
I loved it from start to finish, I rarely get this involved in a book, but love it when I do, the carousel structure reminded me of 'The Slap'...completely different subject matter of course, but equally gripping and you just have to get to the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A film in the making, 14 April 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
Great read. Not often a book makes me cry - but this one did - just as I was being served by the Jet2 air-stewardess (embarrassing). A film in the making.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 10 April 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
IF I could rate this higher I would a brilliant read highly recommend to every one don't hesitate to buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Paperback)
I read this chronologically (authors notes) and thoroughly enjoyed it. Easy on the eye and flowed beautifully.
The Auschwitz section was realistic but not mindlessly graphic and the ending rewarding. I hope this book gets picked up by a major publisher , it deserves to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great story!, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. It was a very sensitive story and beautifully written.
The author really gave a sense of what life was like for the Jews in
war time Germany. It is a page turner and a great twist at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Kindle Edition)
a very interesting, thought provoking book that manages to weave together the reality of the holocaust and the change in German feeling leading up to it. It also touches on the irony of a murder trial in a camp whose main purpose is mass murder. This book also has real humanjty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: A Murder in Auschwitz (Paperback)
I couldn't put this book down, I read it from cover to cover in one day.
Beautifully written, gripping, emotional and fascinating. More, please!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›