IV

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, short but magnificent album
I can not understand how people judge this album by its short duration or because steven wilson no longer include the songs. I think they are irrational prejudices of some people and that predisposes many listeners negatively.

Published 9 months ago by jododo

2.0 out of 5 stars The last Stand
Published 13 months ago by David S. Haazen

2.0 out of 5 stars The last Stand, 8 Sep 2013
David S. Haazen (Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
Well here it is, the last stand for a band I once thought I would buy anything they produced without having to first hear the album, Steven Wilson is that good, but alas, this is not a Steven Wilson album, infact his imput is pretty minimal, and it shows. This is an Aviv Geffen album disguised as a Blackfield album, and perhaps the last I will ever purchace. On `The Raven that Refused to Sing` Steven Wilson solo album there is a track which sounds like the old Blackfield, so I guess thats were all the talent headed and so will I. Goodbye Blackfield, was fun, but......

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
Blackfield IV is a very skimpy 31 minutes or so of niceness - nothing particularly offensive, but certainly nothing to get at all worked up about. Blackfield appear to have settled for a forumla they're happy with - very short melodic pop that you can have on in the background while doing something else. The inclusion of Messrs Cavanagh, Anderson and Donahue at least offers a change in vocal sound, if nothing else.

There isn't a bad song on IV; thing is, there's not a really good one, either. It's just nice. Hence my three stars - it's okay. Welcome to My DNA is better, and Blackfield I and II are streets ahead. If you're new to the band and want to check them out, do yourself a favour and check the earlier stuff, first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Time to call it Geffen and friends, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
Blackfield have made some great albums, with terrific melodies, unfortunately this isn't one of them. Just over 30 minutes its a bit of a rip off, but the song quality is also poor. I think a few songs might grow on me, but I won't be buying Blackfield V without a really long hard listen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mutton dressed as lamb!, 8 Sep 2013
G. Williams "Gwyn" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
This unfortunately is another fall in quality under the once great Blackfield moniker. Aviv Geffen should be big enough to put this out under his own name and not pretend its something else by exploiting the fan base created by Steven Wilson. Clearly SW stepping away meant he had to seek a further fans from Suede, Anathema and Mercury Rev. I did get Aviv's solo album and its actually better than this pile of half developed songs that runs to just over 31 mins! - charged at full price may I add. For Blackfield 4 read Blackfield Final as far as I am concerned.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light weight predictability., 27 Aug 2013
Mr. SJ Clarke "clunkyclarke" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
Blackfield is something of a side project for Porcupine Tree main-man Steven Wilson. Blackfield, the band (?) is a conglomeration of artists mostly headed by Aviv Geffen with assistance from the said Mr Wilson, so it would be wrong to expect a Porcupine Tree album. Indeed at just over 30 minutes its very short and one should not expect the sprawling progressive epics one might yearn for. In fact, the songs are simple, sometimes whimsical light-hearted affairs with little evidence Mr Wilson's typical input.
The album is very listenable but ultimately thats' its probable downfall. Its too lightweight. Too easy on the ear. Too simple. Too run of the mill. It has a light-weight predictability that offers little new or refreshing and for these reasons makes it my least favorite of their 4 studio and one live release.
Get Blackfield II if you're a newcomer to this band.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice - but WAY too short!, 4 Sep 2013
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
Being a long time fan, I would never have thought to write anything less than at least a 4-star-rated review about Blackfield's new album. But here it is, with 3 stars only. Why?

Well, the music is just fine - but there's so little of it! If this would be sold as an EP prior to an upcoming album, it would be OK. But as it is, it seems to me that the lack of creativity to compose more material corresponds with Steven Wilson's reduced effort for Blackfield. Aviv Geffen's capabilities alone are just not enough to fill the void that SW's absence leaves in the songwriting department.

I hope it's too early to close the coffin over Blackfield, but another poor album like this one would dig a deep grave.

3.0 out of 5 stars Relatively weak, 28 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer (Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
I was looking forward to this after the excellent first three Blackfield albums but after a few listens to this now I have to say it is disappointing. It's pleasant, there are some nice melodies and arrangements, but very little spark. All the tracks are less than 4 minutes long and at times I just was left feeling that the songs could have been developed further - I'm not after epics but the 5-6 minute mark would have been good. If you have Aviv Geffen's English language album that will give you a pretty good idea of what you are getting. It's not rock in any way. I would describe it as melancholic pop. Better than that vast majority of dross that clogs up the charts these days but given the high standards that Blackfield set themselves, it's pretty lightweight and nowhere near the class of Steven Wilson's most recent solo album. Still - if you have the other Blackfield albums it's worth a go, if you haven't start with the earlier stuff!

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
To me this the weakest Blackfield record. No new movements. No new ideas. At least it's the shorter of their records. I really think that the amazing Steven Wilson was no really compromise on this project. Mr. Geffen it's not enough to give a new turn of band.
Keep us with the two first records.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Bland!!!, 29 Aug 2013
Cornish Deadhead "Happy Harv" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)
OK so I've followed Blackfield from the start like Porcupine Tree. Their first album was great, and they followed it up with their second even stronger album. However, there was a marked decline in my opinion with Welcome To My DNA, and now we have this rather bland album which to me has so any influences throughout it - Sense Of Insanity could almost be Coldplay apart from the sound of the vocals; Faking is faking Snow Patrol; the short The Only Fool Is Me could be Mercury Rev (OK so it has Donahue on vocals but it's the whole feel of the track).

The songs have all the right noises but throughout the whole album I felt as though the tracks were reminiscent of something else, although some of the lyrics are bizarre!

All in all I was left disappointed and I fear that this will be the last Blackfield album I purchase. It is not very good value either coming in at under 32 mins which for modern albums is exceptionally short - perhaps this illustrates a lack of ideas.

The packaging is a standard plastic box with yet another superfluous cardboard slipcase (WHY???). There is an eight page useless booklet unless you like uninteresting photos.

Can't see this album being played very much whereas Blackfield & Blackfield II still get regular plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent, short but magnificent album, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: IV (Audio CD)

It is a magnificent album full of amazing songs with excellent sound and also available on DVD Audio 5.1 sound. There are some wonderful songs with melodies difficult to find in most of the discs. It is a varied but full of epic moments and technically very well executed album.

I agree that the duration of the album and the songs are short and it's a shame that these compositions do not last longer, because only last 2 or 3 minutes is a short time to enjoy such good songs. It could have lengthened and thus enjoyed more, but certainly that is a huge cd as recognized by the music press.

Congratulations!!!

IV
IV by Blackfield (Audio CD - 2013)