Format: DVD|Change

on 9 April 2014
Watched the first three episodes on a long-haul flight and HAD to find the rest - got hooked. Very well-thought-out. Only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it has subtitles - look away and if you don't understand French you potentially miss something vital and have to re-wind. Just wish now I had bought the DVD instead as I would prefer a hard copy instead of the download from Amazon.
on 14 November 2013
I couldn't wait to buy this when it came out on DVD because I loved watching the show, it's brilliant! When I finished my GCSE's in May, I had three months off to do nothing and this is literally all I watched on TV! I'd definitely recommend this show, the plot and story is fantastic and the characters and acting is superb. So many cliffhangers! Cab't wait for series two!
on 19 November 2015
Great entertainment. I generally enjoy French films, but this is brilliant. It is so atmospheric, the story at first is puzzling, these dead people coming home with no understanding they are dead. Then as it goes on it gets even stranger. The last episode was frightening, I cannot wait to watch the second series which I have been downloading
on 8 June 2014
Sure, the first few episodes grab you by the lapel of your neck but alas! Before long the show's premise fizzles just like the rest of the episodes. The finale leaves you behind with many unanswered questions and you wonder: Why did they even return in the first place? For THIS?! So you have been warned: You are about to be let down.
At least five have separately come back to the small Alpine town right next to a dam. They are exactly as they used to be, unaware they are now dead. Why the return? Have they unfinished business? In the week that follows "things" begin to happen. Suicide, violent attacks, killings. Meanwhile local power supplies falter and the dam's water level sinks....

Key to everything seems young "Victor", murdered thirty five years ago. (Superbly cast Swann Namotin manages to look both vulnerable and scary.) "Seems" is the operative word, for we do not really know. So much here is a mystery, the series packed with questions hopefully to be answered in Season 2.

The other "returned"? Simon, who died ten years ago on his wedding day; Mrs Costa, wife of the respected former schoolmaster; seriously unstable Serge, who may have a score to settle with his brother; fifteen-year-old Camille, whose school coach plummeted over a parapet.

Are they freaks to be driven away, or relatives and friends to be welcomed back into the community? Tensions rise, emotions overflow. What if these five are but the advance guard, scores of others on their way?

Here is proof a television series does not necessarily need big budgets and major special effects to succeed. Great impact can be made with an intriguing central storyline, good scripts, great cast, fine atmosphere and style. Critics praised, millions of viewers became hooked. (Do not be put off by the thought of subtitles. Most find them no problem at all.)

Skilfully and enjoyably we are well and truly teased.

Welcome here an appropriately haunting masterpiece.
on 14 August 2013
The DVD is yet to be released so my comments are, as with all the other reviews so far, based on having watched all 8 episodes of the TV series shown this summer on Channel 4.

The story is, for once, relatively fresh and different. It must be hard to come up with new concepts for TV drama but The Returned qualifies. Yes, it's about dead people coming back to life but it's not a conventional zombie/ghost story, and it plays heavily on the personal grief that different families suffered years before the present-day events - when the dead started to return.

There's so much to see on the screen that it is a little frustrating to have to read the sub-titles. I'm reminded of other excellent foreign dramas such as The Killing or Wallender; they were so good that big-budget English-speaking versions were made later but the atmosphere of the originals was lost. I think the best solution is old-fashioned dubbing, not least because the actors and actresses in The Returned - particularly the actresses in my opinion - would be very hard to match.

Maybe the DVD will have some entertaining extras, I don't know yet, but the main story - spread across 3 DVD discs that I would estimate to be about 320 minutes in total length - is definitely worth investing your time and money in. If you haven't seen it yet, you're in for a treat, and if you have, it's still worth seeing again.

There is also a film version called The Returned [DVD] but it is totally different and although I have not seen it, most people seem to think it is not as good as the Channel 4 TV series.
on 10 October 2015
I enjoyed this series so much when it was shown on TV when I found this DVD of the series I had to buy it I was not disappointed I could relive the whole series again and catching things I missed the first time around a great series looking forward to the second series starting on TV hopefully a DVD will follow
on 25 January 2014
i have never been so happy with a purchase.this series is one of the best shows i have ever seen and i have seen so many forget about reading the subtitles you will be hooked on the drama alone the characters are all amazing>just simple buy this or miss probably the best tv show in years.
on 30 January 2014
I don't have pay tv so when I saw "The Returned" advertised and reviewed for Foxtel had to watch it so I found it on Amazon. I really enjoyed the series, putting the puzzles together. Not in english but the subtitles were great.
I'm looking forward to the next series.
on 24 November 2013
This series is a real slow burn, moving at a glacial pace, but its compelling viewing with some real wtf moments. It has a scandinavian thriller feel with shades of Twin Peaks. If you're after action and full on horror this may be too subtle and slow but I thought it was wonderful.