I have no idea what the previous reviewers have listened to!! Commercial?! Sold out?! I'd love them to cite an example of a comparable sound in the "Popular" charts.
Published 24 months ago by Mr.R

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not classic GB
Published on 24 July 2013 by John Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most the most explorative and inexhaustibly creative bands on the planet, 1 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
I've seen GB live more than 10 times and have been a huge fan of their globe hopping fusion of punk, funk, latino, folk and general bass drenched party albums for many years. This album is no different; Pura Vida Conspiracy hops the globe from Latvian table-thumping, to beach melodies, to bass-drenched punk rock in its raucous circus led by Eugene's wonderfully passionate soul bearing.
Essentially, it's a all you can eat fusion plate of food that will leave you disgustingly full and yet still excited for dessert! So whilst there are some more tender, soul-searching melodies than previous albums, this feels like a natural evolution and blends the frantic with the poetic and it feels like a great party evening with a jug of red wine, chased by a tequila or ten and with a "chilled" long island ice tea thrown in for good measure ... ".....and you know that I'll pick up every time you call just to thank you one more time ...Alcohol ". Buy it and enjoy the contagious collection of songs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not classic GB, 24 July 2013
John Cook (UK) - See all my reviews
I broadly agree with the earlier reviews. The raw energy of Gogol Bordello has, on earlier recorded work, translated well from the live performances, but this album sounds so over-thought and over-produced; it comes across to me that each band member has probably recorded their bits separately (as is the modern process these days) where previously you could believe they were all in a studio thrashing out their songs together. I wonder also if the changes in personnel have had an impact, now with a more full-on rock drummer (I like Oliver's playing but it lacks the subtlety of Eliot's) and this is the first recording since long-standing Israeli guitarist Oren Kaplan was replaced by American Michael Ward, which may also add to he overall more commercial sound. Eugene's voice still comes through, so it's still undoubtedly GB, and I reckon some of these songs, especially opening track We Rise Again, are strong enough to come over better played live - I'll find out when they hit the UK in December.

On the plus side, I ordered the vinyl version, knowing I'd get the MP3 download from Amazon thrown in (thus making vinyl viable again!), but was pleasantly surprised to find that it was white vinyl, came with a white vinyl 7" of two otherwise unreleased tracks, and the CD (albeit in a wallet rather than jewel case). Bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars best Gogol album yet!, 9 Oct. 2013
J. boot "booty" (london, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
best gogol bordello album yet. im a huge GB fan and own all their albums and this is by far the best overall album. other reviews are ignorant in there opinion this album lacks 'classics' when almost every song is without doubt not only a classic but a gogol classic. from opener we rise again to closer we shall sail im blown away. i sing along to every song especially dig deep enough, malindrino, lost innocent world, other side of rainbow and gypsy auto pilot! as for GB classics, malidrino and lost innocent world are exactly what classic gogol bordello songs should sound like. i cant wait to see them in london for my birthday this december and eagerly await to hear some of these songs as eagerly as i await to hear not a crime and wonderlust king. tune after tune! CLASSIC GB!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fast service., 30 Dec. 2013
Ms. N. Cole "Bootletrinket" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
Bought for son but we all like them, they're a great band and cd came safely and is being thoroughly enjoyed,

4.0 out of 5 stars Gogol bordello but a bit more acoutic this time, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
I like this album but i dont love it as much as some of their older stuff, it is more acoustic and traditional, definately still gypsy but not as much punk, still a good album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new album, 14 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
Something very different to listen to. Seems to capture the excitement of his live shows. First track is the best for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good album., 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
Not their greatest album, but it's good. I'm not keen on the mastering though, it's a little bit too aggressive and bordring on the distorted for my liking

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album so far!, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Gogol Bordello since their first album and this is their strongest offering yet. The quality of the song writing is consistent from start to finish and if you're a fan of passionate, high energy music then you should definitely but this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than some are giving credit for, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan, but I didn't even know they'd released another album. So when i found it I bought it immediatley.

Immediate responsse was not that they had sold out. I relly don't know how some are coming to that conclusion, as I actually found it quite innaccessible. This continues the path started by Underdog World Strike, but without the experimentation found on Super Taranta! Their most accessible album to me is Trans-continental Hustle and for first time listeners of GB I would direct them to here or Underdog World Strike. However, still very much enjoyng this album.

On first listen there didn't seem to be the standout tracks or the energy. It felt like a half-hearted affair. But...after a few listens it has definitely grown and it's on constant circulation. Standouts are Malandrino, Amen and My Gypsy Auto Pilot. It does go a little downhill for the last couple of tracks, and I thought the hidden track died a death with the invent of the MP3.

I actually think this is half the problem. Gogol Bordello are an album band in the age of spotify et al. It deserves to be played all the way through several times before forming the final verdict.

However, overall I would give 3.5 if I could. I think they need a little invigorating.

p.s. if you really want to here "sell-out" music from GB, just check out the track they recorded for Pepsi for the Ukraine/Polaand Euro championship - let's get crazy. In some markets GB were the inescapable sound of both pepsi and fifa. I put that down to overexuberant patriotism and was happy that recording hadn@t set a trend for this release!

3.0 out of 5 stars Loyal GB fan, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Pura Vida Conspiracy (Audio CD)
After being a loyal GB fan since 2004, seeing them twice with raw power! I am regretingly seeing this album as a push to hit the mainstream (as Kings Of Leon did after their 2nd album, i took the 3rd album back and got a refund!)
I do not hold that against them, as we all know everyone is out to make more money, but I feel that too much outside influence is included in this album, and their 'musical spirit' has got easier (lyrics are still great though)
I am seeing them in December at Bristol Academy, i hope i am proven wrong and they can still give it some Oomph! Or maybe it might be the last time I see them in a personal venue, before they are playing Stadiums, god forbid!
Mainstream music is a 'scar' on the Music Industry Eugene. Please do not follow the sheep.

Pura Vida Conspiracy
Pura Vida Conspiracy by Gogol Bordello (Audio CD - 2013)