Published on 2 Feb. 2010 by J. Hairsine

2.0 out of 5 stars Great For Single babies
Published on 3 April 2013 by Joellanne

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're expecting twins, this book will ensure you keep your sanity, 2 Feb. 2010
J. Hairsine (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
Being an advocate of Gina Ford's CLB routines for my singleton, I may have been slightly biased before reading this book. However, reading some negative reviews about this book prior to purchasing it made me question whether I actually needed this book before my twins arrived, or whether I could simply adapt the single CLB routines for twins myself. I couldn't. Single babies are a different ball game to twins. If you're expecting twins, this book - whether you follow the routines or not - will prove invaluable to you and your sanity.
The Alice Beer segments, though entertaining and informative, serve mainly to engage readers who perhaps haven't been used to Gina's strict formulas and techniques yet, despite hints of a slightly more funded lifestyle than the average reader (something I didn't find as offensive as some reviewers), I found her to write articulately, honestly and sincerely, and this, surely, is the only style of advise that expectant mothers really need in their lives.
Merely reading Gina Ford doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to looking after your baby or babies successfully - although she has amazingly useful tips and advice on all aspects of parenting young children, the CLB routines themselves are what underpin everything she writes about. It is these routines that reviewers with negative comments have failed to appreciate. The routines - like any aspect of successful parenting - require PERSEVERANCE. Nobody's tips or routines can feasibly work overnight, or even within the week, but working towards the timings and style of sleep etc, it's hard to imagine any child not eventually benefitting from Gina's well-researched techniques. I honestly don't know how parents of newborns - singletons or otherwise - can survive without the knowledge that their children will sleep at certain times, or that they will be able to enjoy the peace of evenings to themselves again from 7pm within a reasonable timeframe. Gina's CLB routines actually work - but only if you keep working at them. Yes, it is hard and monotonous at times - but then I imagine it's even harder work and more monotonous without such routine in your life - but the pay-off is incredible. Babies that know when to sleep; babies that settle themselves; babies that are clearly contented - these goals become even more crucial to parents when twins arrive. This book hands you the key to achieving these goals and even summarizes the info on a week-by-week basis for even easier reference when your hands are full all of the time. I can't endorse this book enough (and a few sloppy editing errors cannot put me off).

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful tips and ideas, 22 May 2009
Stacey Stephenson (Walsall, England) - See all my reviews
The book has some helpful tips and ideas even if you dont follow the scrict routines. The routines are very regimented and I found that my twins are different people and do not want to follow them, especially at the same time! Worth buying though for helpful ideas about feeding, sleeping, controlled crying and bedtime routines.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great For Single babies, 3 April 2013
I read this book whilst expecting my twins. I was convinced that this was going to be the answer to my prayers. To the point that I wrote down all the timings for feeds ready for me and the hubby to follow. My husband did point out that the timings did not actually make sense in terms of the gaps between feedings and length of naps etc but I assumed it would all become clear once the babes were here.

The book has some useful information about things to buy in advance of the birth. It also has some useful information about how babies need a routine. However, the actual routines are extremely complicated and allow for little time between feedings to actually get anything done. In adition to this it assumes that all babies are the same. I ended up having three month premature babies. Both were in hospital until at least their due dates. They left hospital with their own routine and very different needs. Both had severe reflux and one had a heart problem. No mention of prematurity is really made in the book and yet it is very common. There were 5 sets of twins on our neonatal unit! For this reason I could not breast feed them, they were in 4 hourly routines and one choked if I tried to feed them at the same time, the other screamed until fed and if I stopped to even wind him.

The early days at home with the twins were spent constantly feeding, sterilising, changing and winding. We were giving about 30 doses of meds a day. We had doctors and hospital appointments most days. One of the twins would take up to an hour to feed (then bring it back up). To feed 3 hourly would be impossible under these circumstances. I think the thing with Gina Ford is that she has a lot of experience with looking after twins as a job. I presume that she had time off and breaks away from the babies in the day. All day and night with twins being fed 3 hourly and keeping to her precise timings really would leave no time for anything else. Do not forget it takes half hour to leave the house when you do attempt it!

I have referred to this book now and then. For example with regard to the amount of time babies need to sleep in the day. Her advice to feed at night in the dark and no talking etc is also useful. I just can't see how most moms of twins would be able to get their babies to follow these strict routines.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has she really met any twins?, 19 Sept. 2013
I wasn't mad keen on this book at all. I found her book prescriptive and full of dire warnings without much explanation of why she wanted you to do things. She was maddeningly vague about calming a crying baby and what to do about nights - I think you were supposed to intuit that you do night feeds, but she doesn't mention them in her routines - and there wasn't much troubleshooting advice. Some of the recommendations were bizarre (don't feed your twins solids off the same plate to avoid cross contamination in case they get ill - what? I've seen them lick each other!) and it was badly edited - I think she's taken stick in the past for seeming to recommend bottle feeding and the importance of meat in an older baby's diet, and some very clumsy changes had been made to correct that e.g. you were supposed to give the baby half of a breastfeed. How do you know they're halfway through a breastfeed?) Generally through the book you're encouraged to always push your child on to the next stage in the routine, rather than letting them adjust themselves. I never bothered following her book but by about 4 months we had broadly fallen into her routine - but the routine for younger babies! I was always about one chapter behind her.

I know from experience (my twins are now 17 months and sleep through the night with no bedtime battles) that it's possible to sleep train twins from an early age but I wouldn't recommend her method. Try Marc Weissbluth's book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child: A step-by-step programme for a good night's sleep - a lot less panic-inducing than Gina's book, I found, and with a lot more detail on why you're doing things rather than just assuming you'll have 100% faith just because she's the woman off the telly who promises you your life back in 10 weeks. They all calm down eventually.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me!, 18 Feb. 2015
When I found out I was having twins shock hit first then panic. A friend recommend this. Well after reading 10 pages I couldn't stand this woman! It seems she spares no thoughts for a babies feelings and everything seemed too regimented. I knew this was not how I would raise my girls. I didn't and they turned out fine!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Have just started to read..., 3 Mar. 2014
Mayuri (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
Only 3 stars at the moment as have only just started to read. In my 3rd trimester and had Gina Ford recommended to me by my sister in law (who has read and adopted some of the guidelines from the singleton version).

I like this book immediately because it's written in conjuction iwth Alice Beers who gives us the low-down on her experiences being pregnant with twins. I love this, because she experienced quite a few difficulties and briefly mentions them in the beginning. At last someone else who knows just what a tough business carrying twins can be! (And someone who can vindicate my horrible and lonely experiences!).

I'm still at the part where she's listing essentials to buy for the baby. I thought we were already pretty prepared, but going through this section I've written a new list to make sure I get in what I'd missed before they get here.

Even though there are a couple of things I don't agree with (eg her advice against co-bedding), I'm still finding reading it really helpful as she gives insights into things I hadn't thought of or really don't have a clue about at the moment.

I can't wait to complete this, I think it will really help me (and my husband who gets briefings from me!) to lay out and prepare for how we will manage the arrival of our two little baby girls and look after them in the best way possible.

I get the impression this will be a thorough book, so this is great. I can use all the insights that I feel I agree with, and further research areas that I believe require adjustment for the uniqueness of our new family.

I'm surprised to find myself so drawn to completing the book, as previously I'd read controversial reviews about Gina Ford techniques - but I guess this is just one of those things that you have to get from the horses mouth rather than listen to hearsay. Every person and family is so unique!

The only thing further I wish at the moment is that there were a more recent edition (to see if there are updates in any areas, eg co-bedding research). And an accompanying dvd to show things like how to make up the beds as it's difficult to follow the diagrammatic instructions in the book.

I'm still in the early part of the book, so lets see what the rest of it says....

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for yourself when you have twins... impossible? Think again., 12 Oct. 2010
This book scared the life out of me when I first read it, still pregnant with my twins. It seemed incredibly detailed and military in its outlook but that was before life had been turned upsidedown by the arrival of two demanding little babies.

Once the twins were 3 weeks old I started to introduce a routine based on the Gina Ford timings, altering them to make the day start at 8am to fit in with a later morning start, and just adjusted all other timings by 1 hour 15 minutes. The twins were fed every 3 hours, 24 hours a day until the book said to adjust the feeds. I followed the guidance pretty strictly to begin with and the babies soon fell into a fabulous routine - and I then understood why she was so strict with her advice. Babies adore routine.

My twins are now 8 months old. They sleep for one hour in the morning and two hours in the afternoon and, the minute their little heads touch their cot at 7.30pm, they fall fast asleep. More importantly, I have time during the day to call my own - a seemingly impossible task if you have twins that aren't in a routine. With my singleton son, routine didn't seem so important but now it's the most important thing in the day. All events are planned around their sleeping and eating times. This may sound excessive but this stage does not last forever and life will return to normal eventually. Right now though, being able to have an hour or two of my own time during the day is the most important thing in the world.

I have a friend with twins of a similar age and she hasn't ever implimented a strict routine. She never knows when they're going to sleep and never has any time of her own during the day, and I would say that life just isn't fun for her.

The routines do take some perserverance but by heck they make having twins enjoyable. I would thoroughly recommend this book if you are expecting twins.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok if you have 'textbook' twins ONLY!, 20 Nov. 2014
Miss A L Jones (Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Contented House with Twins (Kindle Edition)
A great idea for a routine however the book is really confusing (especially as a new mum with 'baby brain'). I have twins born at week 32 so would have liked some advice on development and milestones when you have a preemie(most twins are!). Also feel aspects/issues such as wind or colic are blamed on parent and the issue is skirted over for parents that have twins suffering. Afraid we don't all have perfect babies to follow this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY AND FOLLOW, 12 Nov. 2012
My husband and I read this book whilst I was pregnant and everything in it just seemed really sensible. Despite my mother in law being a "Gina-hater" we implemented the routines as soon as my twins were big enough. Initially it was hard work...particularly keeping them awake in the day but I perserved and did my best. And sure enough, by 12 weeks they were both sleeping from 7am to 7pm with one feed when we woke them at about 1030pm. We kept waking them for this feed until one day when the boys were nearly 7 months old we forgot to set the alarm clock and they slept through. Now they sleep 7am to 7pm every night and we only have to go to them if there is a problem - like if they are teething. There are so many positive things about the routines:
- if your baby is crying you don't have to guess why...are they tired? are they hungry? Follow the routines and, once established, your baby will never be tired or hungry as the routines meet their needs. Gina provides a check list so you know what else might be causing the crying - or you will know (ie they didn't nap very well so are probably tired)
- both your babies do the same thing at the same time - I always fed mine together, they nap together etc - it means that when your babies are sleeping you can or you can do something else. There is not the nightmare of having one baby awake preventing you from doing something whilst the other one sleeps
- you know your day - you can schedule things like friends coming or going out around the routines

Criticisms are often that each baby is individual but when it comes to basic needs I haven't found this to be the case. Gina's book is based on what, in her vast experience, most babies need and I found that when I spoke to non Gina followers, they had a similar routine anyway but often not as consisent. Now at one year my twins still nap 1230 til 230 so I have two whole hours during the day to myself. None of my friends who didn't follow Gina get this! Also, although Gina is famous for the "leave them cry" controlled crying you don't have to do this to follow Gina! Also, you can adapt the routines if you need to do something special.

I don't know how I would have stayed sane without Gina's routines - I simply cannot recommend them enough!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the average family!, 12 Feb. 2015
Very disappointing! What average household can afford a maternity nurse, night nurse and nanny to take on holiday!!!! Also not great if you end up bottle feeding babies. I also have a very windy baby who can not be put down half way through a feed or who behaves the same as his sister they are individuals! Little bit to strict for my lifestyle.

A Contented House with Twins