Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 September 2013
As I put on Hesitation Marks, I thought that this album would have a lot to live up to in terms of originality. I for one felt that Reznor was on an incredible creative run of brilliant ideas and vision with Year Zero, Ghosts and The Slip. Sure, those albums were not comparable to The Downward Spiral or The Fragile in terms of emotional intensity, but then nor were they supposed to be. So I half-expected this album to be a continuation of innovating the format and conceptuality rather than an epic journey exploring the depths of suicidal feelings. And I was extremely excited to hear that Reznor was "completely rethinking" NIN had been working with people like Adrian Belew.

But in actual fact, it seems that the focus of Hesitation Marks is not about world-changing sonic experimentation and technological smart-assery. Musically, there are some surprises. Reznor career-long obvious Prince influence has never been more apparent than it is in the playful falsetto of "All Time Low" or the funk of "Satellite". In a somewhat Talking Heads' Remain in Light fashion, "Copy of A" is built up gradually in layers in a way which seems more rhythmically driven than ever before. And the major-scale verse melody of "Everything" certainly comes as a shock, but after a few listens somehow falls into the category of more conventional loud NIN moments.

Much has been made of the alleged 'sparseness' of this album in contrast with Reznor's usual painstaking tapestries of sound. But for much of the album this is done in such a way which perhaps less noticeable to outsiders, as layers of all-sorts seem to quickly pile on in almost every song. The main noticeable differences are the lack of any truly face-pounding explosive rockers, and the absence of Reznor screaming hard enough to lose his voice. There is an electronic, but ever so slightly ambient quality to the production which certainly gives the album a unique and endearing feel. In that respect it actually sounds more "band"-oriented than cinematic.

But ultimately the album's strength lie in its emotional undertones. It had to be the case - on first listen I actually found myself somewhat underwhelmed by the second half, which ostensibly seemed like an array of generic NIN guitar chugging and "I"s and "you"s. I assumed that after a few listens the cerebral "arc" would begin to show itself. and thankfully, it did. Reznor's motivation here is in looking back on who he was, where he was at, and what he was capable of, circa The Downward Spiral. He even confirmed that this was why he used artist Rusell Mills once again for the cover art. And as a mature, married, father of two and general normal chap, Reznor is now using music to express the harrowing depths of a mid-life crisis.

Joke - it's cooler than that. He is looking back on himself as a fomerly addictive personality prone to extreme mental swings and wondering if he is in any way at all, in spite of the struggles he went through, envious of his former "freer" self. There are intense emotions here, but they are intense explorations of uncertainty rather than despair.

It isn't a very deep plunge into turmoil like The Downward Spiral, and it isn't uber cool or uber conceptual like Year Zero. And nor it can it be expected to deliver the merits of those two periods of NIN. What it does deliver is a new level of reflectiveness, and will demand a deeper understand of that word from any NIN fan loyal enough to go the distance with it. It is, as anyone should expect, a new NIN, an long may it continue (for 4 or so years).
on 23 January 2014
Reznor has received more reviews than he could possibly ever need. However I can hardly resist writing one, too, especially after watching all those live NIN performances, which he's published on his superb vevo channel. The current one appears to be some tour and I am extremely happy it'll be visiting London. Talking about tours, it wasn't that long ago that we went to that NIN "goodbye" one -and even got the goodbye T-shirt - and that he went off to meet Justin Timberlake, bag an Oscar, make us sleep with ghosts, etc. The naïve like me thought that NIN were gone forever, while the more seasoned, committed, fans were certain Trent'd be back with another NIN record.
And back he is, "couldn't stay away". Took me completely by surprise, too: The nauseating video of "Came back haunted" exploded on VEVO one day last June, if I remember correctly, to be watched by almost a million of people in the first 24 hours (myself included; braved the nauseating feeling of watching it 10 times in one day magnificently, I might add) and to instantly become a favourite NIN song- and a lesson on how to make a video clip of huge impact, with rather little money. Nevertheless, when "Hesitation Marks" was released (September?), I neglected to buy it for a few months. It all turned out for the best because, having bought it at the very end of 2013, it kick-started my 2014 in a big way and, as it often happens with any NIN album, once this cd was inserted in the player all other music faded, ceased resonating and became redundant for a few weeks, until Trent's new music had well and truly been learnt, the feelings sunk in, and the lyrics greedily devoured. This album is as sexy as ever. So, once again, I found myself wondering just how many babies might have been conceived in steamy love sessions that have been initiated with some wine and NIN songs such as "Sin", "We're in this together", "Vessel", "Terrible Lie" and (personal sensual favourite) "Me, I'm not"- to list but a few of the more (ahem!) innocuous ones. Needless to say, if you were born after 1991 and your parents have suspiciously many NIN cds on their racks, you just might owe your very existence to this man. A new song from the current album that is sultry and seductive is superb "I would for you"- and it is my favourite on this album. What a song to approach someone you really love/desire with, claiming you'd even change the person you are for them! (And as St Valentine's is already beckoning, it's fit for purpose).
Regarding the album as a whole, I do not predict it becoming my favourite NIN album and dethroning "With teeth" and "Year Zero" from their shared throne. "H. Marks" is yet another very personal Trent album, but it is his albums offering a bit of social context along with the deeply personal one, that have always appealed to me the most. Also, if I had to go for a "personal" album as my NIN favourite, then that would undoubtedly be "The Fragile" (left and right). However, "Hesitation Marks" still is a five (or 6 or 7 stars) album, just for containing fabulous songs such as "while I'm still here", to name one. It might not be off-the- charts unrateable, like most other NIN offerings, but it still is pretty remarkable, especially when compared to the atrocious standards of music released today in general. And 7-star Trent is better than no Trent at all, anyway; not to mention that for me, it is early listening days yet.
The initial listen was a tad unsettling: because of chirpy "Everything", my fellow listeners and I creased our foreheads in momentary worry, thinking he came back happy instead of haunted. Now, this won't do; risking the danger of sounding like the evil "they" of "We're in this together", I must say: someone keep this man unhappy, please! Otherwise, who'll write us songs for our collective heartaches as concise, succinct and to the point as "The great below", "Sin" or favourite "Only", (a song about his troubles with "the business" -his words, not mine- but with lyrics that can easily fit any kind of bad and/or abusive relationship situation, be it with a partner, a parent or a boss). "Everything" had us truly worried he might have finally found "happiness in slavery" (and if you are a parent you know that nobody can spell "slavery," happy or otherwise, as well as a couple of kids running around your house). Luckily, after "Everything", he didn't keep us worried for long, hastily descending down a spiral of delicious angst, expressed by a successive onslaught of tortured songs "various methods of escape", "running", "I would for you" and "in two", then finishing the whole thing off with the beautifully calm growing old/love/lullaby song "while I'm still here," which forms a unit with instrumental "black noise." These songs all make up for a magnificent second half -and a glorious ending- to this very mature album. I love them all- taken in one by one, or taken in all together: the effect is orgasmic. And every time I watch "in two" live from the NIN vevo channel, that effect is doubled!
It transpires that I have found the great songs to be in abundance in this album; I certainly seem to have found more songs to love here, than most of the other reviewers. Perhaps it is because, although I have been following Reznor since the "Pretty Hate Machine", I became more of a fan of his during the "grown up" stage of his career, than I ever was pre-2000 (with the exception of the scorching, apocalyptic "Broken"). He is so clearly one of the soundtracks of one's adulthood. Moreover, I find myself always wanting to pledge my support to him, because of his professional and artistic ethos, which are both outstanding: Never betraying himself or his fans, he has given them music for free through his website, to reward their expenses and faithful efforts of support for him during the decades, and he keeps publishing outstanding live performances on his vevo channel, something that must ultimately be advantageous to him as well as to his insatiable fans. A professionally recorded live performance will always be better than an amateur one, so in this way he can maintain quality control of the output.
Most importantly, he has vouched to never "tarnish" his songs by allowing them to be used in commercials. He expressed his views on this in an old interview, by criticising one of his own music heroes, who Reznor said "hurt Reznor's feelings" when he allowed a much loved song to be used in a software company commercial. So, it'd seem that the lyrics for "Head like a hole" are a rule that Reznor lives by. One hopes he'll never change his mind and vilify that. Most artists do lend their songs to commercials, of course, but it always comes as a shock to us fans. Also, it is always harder to swallow, when a musician that is a symbol (and who, as such, means so much to so many people) goes so fully and blatantly corporate. Reznor is a symbol and we could never conceive an adequate reason for any corporate "whorification" of his songs; it's great that he seems to feel the same and so far stands by it.
One mild criticism, if I may: Reznor seems to have come back a tad deluded. Although all his lyrics are versatile and mean a lot of things, apparently he thinks he's a copy of other people now and made song "copy of A" about this. Truthful self-reflection- or does he want us to stroke his ego and say "no, you're not a copy of anything"? Should it be the latter, I'd be glad to oblige the man who has handheld our souls through so many heart aches, old and new, and who has so well expressed in his lyrics our deepest pathos. Of course, after so many centuries of writers, thinkers and artists, that he should occasionally feel like "a copy" is rather unavoidable. No matter what one writes, it will inevitably have been written by someone, somewhere, before. However, it is not WHAT you write or say, but HOW you say it. And it is not the ideas, but what you do with them that counts. And if there ever was an original artist, a prototype, then Reznor is certainly it. Can't wait to see him live again. Welcome back, Sir!
on 28 September 2013
The record came in excellent packaging. No warps or any defects at all. Also, the delivery was fast. Regarding the album itselft, it starts really well, the first few tracks really grab you, but then it starts to lose something. What i'm trying to say is that the best moments are the first tracks. Regarding the artwork, it is nice to have a different one for the vinyl, although i personally prefer the CD one. And by the way, the record also came with CD of the album, which i think is great! Mind you, no artwork or case with it, just the cd in a transparent plastic sleeve.
on 2 September 2013
After making Nine Inch Nails "go away for a while" to pursue other projects such as scoring two David Fincher movies as well as working with his wife Mariqueen Manndig and Atticus Ross in his other band How To Destroy Angels, Trent Reznor has reawakened Nine Inch Nails with a brand new studio album, an album that originally started life as two tracks for a greatest hits compilation turns into a full length album "Hesitation Marks" the first since 2008's "The Slip".

The album is a lot more subtle in its approach with electronic beats creeping up on you and at times it can take a bit before the songs get going but when they do they all have slick sounding grooves, "Copy Of A" (which is currently being used to open Nine Inch Nails current tour which starts with all five members coming on to stage separately) has a very trance like beat going on with flourishes of guitar mixed in, it's an early highlight to the album. The first release from the album "Came Back Haunted" is driven by big beats and has a dance vibe throughout as well as throwing in a guitar solo at the midway point. "All Time Low" is a big slab of funk. "Everything" is the closet Reznor has ever coming to doing a pop punk number and is one of the most upbeat songs he has ever done.

"Satellite" might just be the catchiest song on the whole album after a couple of listens it will be stuck in your head and at times comes across as NIN doing David Bowies "Fame". "Various Methods of Escape" is driven by lots of beats starting of low tempo before a breakdown in the middle leads to big pounding beats that take the song to its bid dramatic climax. "In Two" features a number of vocal effects and you are never quite sure what direction the song will go in, it's a contender for the best song on the album. The deluxe edition features 3 remixes the highlight being Todd Rundgen's remix of "All Time Low". The artwork is a nod back to 1994's "The Downward Spiral" as the artwork once again is done by Russell Mills. Fleetwood Macs Lindsey Buckingham and king Crimsons Adrian Belew both provide guitar on a number of the tracks.

Reznor shocked everyone back in March this year when he announced Nine Inch Nails would tour again and then followed it up with the news of a new album, he would go onto say that the new album is "F***ing awesome" and that's exactly what "Hesitation Marks" is.
on 21 November 2013
I was prepared for a bit of a disastrous album after hearing the first couple of tracks off the album; however, I couldn't have been more wrong

Since Trent Reznor is now married and has two kids it was inevitable that his music would start to shift, and it would have been disappointing if he had sat still stylistically.

I really like the album, still dark and brooding, with what can only be described as 'dirty' basslines on some of the tracks. Much more acessible to non-NIN fans, and almost PHM-like in it's heavy use of electronic sounds. For me it's a big improvement on Year zero and the slip, which just didn't do it for me!
on 9 October 2013
I am starting to think Trent Reznor should retire or start working under another name because this album does not deserve to be labeled a Nine Inch Nails album! It lacks the power and aggression of previous albums and was not worth the wait.
on 9 January 2015
Arguably NIN's best album, consistently excellent songs all the way through. In fact its quite hard to choose a favourite because their are so many enjoyable tracks. This album appears to have divided opinion among NIN fans although its not as complete a departure from their previous work as some of the reviews may lead you to think. It's perhaps a little more contemplative and more 'funky' than many NIN fans might like. If you have enjoyed the development of Trent Reznor's music this far, you will be very happy with this album.
on 5 March 2014
Being a fan of the majority of NIN's music, the prospect of a new album was obviously exciting. Having heard only 'Copy Of A' before listening to the entire album, I was intrigued to hear what they had created next. On my first listen, I was dubious at whether or not I was impressed. On my second listen, I felt much the same, perhaps even a little 'Disappointed' (sorry). Rather than abandon it, I felt perhaps I wasn't 'getting' it, and continued to give it my time. Listen by listen, I grasped onto each and every song and now (having listened to it on and off since it's release) can easily describe this album as a classic.

The album glides flawlessly from track to track, maintaining the classic NIN sound yet simultaneously sounding fresh and new. Every track is rich with depth, and I have found myself finding something new in it after every listen. Despite such depth, all sounds are used brilliantly sparingly, with nothing gone to waste; complete quality over quantity. My only concern for some NIN fans would be the lack of much heaviness within the album, something I initially missed, but soon got over after my appreciation of the album grew and grew. Though the album is in itself worthy of your time and money, my personal stand-out tracks would include Various Methods of Escape, Satellite and In Two.

So, don't hesitate...
on 23 July 2014
I don't care about genres and sub-genres. This is simply great music!
The kind of that gets me in a very positive trance despite of its mostly pessimistic or depressing lyrics.
You don't even have to turn up the volume very much to get fully engulfed by this music

Trent Reznor isn't merely using electronic industrial sounds – he truly composes music with them. It's amazing how noise and harmonic sounds sometimes "take turns" and sometimes blend in.
I've listened to this album for an hundred times now an still discover new ingenious details – changes in rhythm or instrumentation – each time I'm listening to it.

My favourite titles are

– copy of (lyrics: "copy of a copy of a copy" is a very original metaphor. music: I like the intermissions in the beat best.)

– came back haunted (It has so much drive it feels like a two-minute punk rock song rather than over five minutes. Could easily be eight minutes long without getting boring.)

– I would for you (the melody of the refrain, as soon as you are able to grasp it, really sticks)

But more important: Threre is not one title I'm inclined to skip when listening to this truly great album
on 16 September 2013
I'm a huge NIN fan. Let's get that out the way. At first when I heard this album, I loved numerous songs on it (Copy of A, Find My Way, In Two and All Time Low registering as classics almost immediately). Some of the other songs, while not being bad by any stretch didn't hit home quite as readily, and I did think there was a drop in quality in the middle section. However, having now listened to it a dozen or so times, I can happily say that repeated listens do greatly benefit this album, as it makes more sense as it goes along, both lyrically and musically. I Would For You, Everything, Various Methods of Escape and Satellite are all very good, brilliantly produced songs that each have something different to offer, and while there is definitely more of a Prince vibe going on than for any of his previous releases, he pulls it off with some aplomb. I'd agree with previous reviews stating that Running is the only weak moment, but even that now has a certain charm to it for me. 2 out of the 3 remixes on the deluxe edition are excellent too - the Find My Way one is just a bit odd to me though...

Best work since The Fragile? Absolutely. Best album of 2013 - even above the incredible Like Clockwork. Yes to that one too!