Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.49

on 28 September 2013
I'm a small business owner who has struggled over the last few years. It's a lonely and difficult life at times, but also hugely rewarding too. Duncan's book, Riding The Storm, is an incredibly intimate and honest account of his divorce and business difficulties over the last few years. Even though my business is tiny compared to his, I take great inspiration from the way he's dealt with his refinancing problems and his strength and willingness to tackle problems head on is a lesson to us all. The simple truth is that we desperately need more jobs in this country and it's entrepreneurs like Duncan who create them. His incredible commitment to extremely worthwhile charities comes across really strongly in this book. He gives of his time and not just money. His very difficult journey up Kilimanjaro, which he almost didn't survive, says it all. I am proud to live in a country that can produce such a kind, thoughtful and compassionate man. We all want to leave a legacy and the world a better place and Duncan is doing more than most.

It takes courage to share such intimate and painful experiences about business and relationships so publicly. I'm sure that his recovery and strength will help many others going through similarly painful times, to pull through and come out the other side happier and content. I have no doubt that he will find great happiness again.

I agree with Duncan that Dragons Den can make small business owners, like myself, feel very small, inconsequential and inadequate. I sometimes don't watch the show now because I always find myself comparing myself to them and the successes on the show and feel down. It's nice to hear Duncan champion small businesses and I'm grateful for that recognition. There's a lot of us about and we all have our stories to tell. It would be really nice to see a show that really champions and inspires small businesses which are the lifeblood of our economy - they are the real heroes.

I know that Duncan will find happiness and great business success in the next few years. His indomitable spirit and passion for his family and good causes will inspire him always. I read somewhere that you must be the change you want to see in the world and Duncan epitomises this.
on 26 December 2013
I was very disappointed with this book. It read as though someone had sat Mr Bannatyne down with a dictaphone and then whisked it away to be typed up and thought, "that will do" and published it. Full of self-justification. I think I was particularly disappointed because I have read Mr Bannatyne's book entitled "Anyone Can Do it" three times and will probably read it a few times more. I felt "Riding The Storm" was blatantly written to bring in money, whilst "Anyone Can Do It" was written to be the best book it could possibly be.
on 2 October 2013
An excellent, very honest account of the struggles Mr Bannatyne has endured these last couple of years. Having read all his previous books I was very excited about this, and it certainly did not disappoint. I found his honesty about the divorce, the financial pressures and keeping his businesses afloat very inspiring and he comes across as a very candid, decent man. It also proves that money does not bring happiness. I ended the book feeling positive about the future and wishing Duncan every future happiness and success over these coming years. Highly recommended read, couldn't put it down.
on 30 September 2013
This is such an amazing book not only about business but also a deep insight into Duncan's personal life.

Duncan is an amazing guy & I'm sure that after what he has been through in the last 2 years will make him an even stronger person & more hungry for success

This is a great book & hopefully not the last one Duncan writes
on 22 November 2013
Behind that dour exterior is a man who can be justifiably proud of what he has achieved but is also someone who clearly wears his heart on his sleeve and is prepared to put much of it into the public domain.It is refreshing to read that behind all that success he hasn't had it all his own way yet his values are admirable.You just can't help liking the guy,even if you suspect that doing business with him would not be a piece of cake!
on 3 November 2013
After seeing Duncan talking about this book on BBC Breakfast I had to read it! I always thought him the 'grumpy Scot' in Dragons Den but I could not be more wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed his writing and honesty. His business ethics make perfect sense and I found it very interesting. A real inspirational read. I read the book in a week and my boyfriend is reading it now!
on 28 November 2014
Poor old Duncan- this is an ode to his divorce, which appears to have left him devastated. It's also a candid account of how his business had real financing problems in the crash. Glad to see his plans recently came to fruition. However, he only tells half a story on his divorce. We are still left wondering why it happened. Duncan paints himself very much as the victim in the divorce, but there is a confidentiality agreement in place- who insisted on that? If it was Duncan, then why insist on this but talk about the divorce in the book knowing we cannot hear the full story. His ex wife dropped hints in a Mail article I read, but who knows? Overall not nearly as good as 'Anyone Can Do It' which was an excellent motivational piece. I am a bit of a fan of Duncan's simple but effective approach to business and for me the most interesting bits of this book were the sections about his business struggles. Good luck Duncan.
on 23 November 2013
It is a good little read, quite quick and doesn't get too bogged down in detail. It is the kind of book that feels like you've invited him round for a chat and you get all the bits you want to hear and feel fairly satisfied. It does go into business details in some areas but I like business so it suited me.
on 1 July 2014
I took this book on holiday and had read it in a day and a half. It was one of those books I really didn't want to finish. It was easy to read and extremely interesting and motivating of which the latter was Duncan's principle aim. I found it a really honest and genuine rags to riches story. Duncan has worked extremely hard to achieve success and he has never forgotten his roots and the money he has given in support of charities is phenominal. Not only has he given money which often appears easy when you have plenty but he has worked giving time and a huge amount of personal effort in a very busy schedule to help the underprivileged and in one instant almost to the point of losing his own life. I have always had a soft spot for Duncan but after reading his book my admiration for him and his achievements cannot be sufficiently expressed. Long may your success continue Duncan.
on 16 November 2013
Really enjoyed the book, it had short chapters which makes it easy to pickup and read. Liked the fact he gives us real figures and gives the low down on what mistakes have occurred particularly with the bank loan from Anglo Irish bank.