5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect beginner SPD pedal, 2 Feb. 2014
T. Kerby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shimano PD-T420 Click'r Pop-Up Mechanism Pedals - Black (Sports)
I'm by no means an experienced cyclist but after a few close calls from feet slipping of the pedals in wet conditions, I wanted to find a better pedal to replace the plastic resin pedals I had on my hybrid bike. I'd never considered cleats - even my much more experienced fiancée had stayed well away to avoid the embarrassing falling with the bike experience.

My colleagues tried to persuade me down the SPD road when what I wanted was an alloy pedal with mountain bike style grips. Then I found these on the Shimano website. They are an SPD pedal designed for new sets - the release tension is much lower and the release angle you need to move your heel out by is only 9 degrees rather than 13 on standard SPDs. What's most amazing is they come with multi release cleats. With a low tension, pulling up sideways or at any angle other than normal cycling will release them in an emergency. This means you don't really need to worry about being clipped in - its more like a strong magnet which holds when your feet are straight and flat to the pedal.

So given the easy release, it may seem like these won't give the benefit of being clipped to your pedals. I certainly didn't find this to be the case. I got used to them within the first mile of riding without any falls. The additional spring that angles the clip out from the pedal makes it easy to find the clip and locate your foot. Its actually easier when cycling than when standing still as the pedaling motion helps engage the mechanism. Moving your leg out by default moves your heel first as the ball of your foot articulates in the clip and then it releases so no problems there even when I stopped quickly. The additional power from pulling up feels very different - your bike becomes a part of you rather than riding on it. I instantly became a much faster rider and found cardiovascular stamina rather than how much my legs could take defined my ride. Even with standing up I've not come out accidentally yet and am slowly increasing the tension to allow me more force in the upward pedal pull.

I could recommend these to anyone from absolute beginner cyclists through to competition level if you haven't tried cleats. In my opinion they are far safer than sloppy standard pedals or toe clips that you have to tighten as they hold your foot securely in use but release with ease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both worlds, 24 Nov. 2014
This product is an excellent in between if you want the speed and security of clipped in pedals on a bike you may otherwise use without from time to time. The Click 'R mechanism offer a very easy entrance to this type of pedal but can also be tightened once you have got the hang of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good for nervous first timers, 6 Aug. 2014
Tried lots of pedals and these seem to be the ones I have been looking for.good for nervous first timers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Sept. 2014
Decent but the non SPD side surface could provide a little more grip, slippery when wet!