5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise and delighted.
Published 7 months ago by Mike Ludwig

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips RQ1195 Review
As part of their range of Personal Care products, Philips kindly offers a ridiculous number of shavers (26 to be precise), divided into four main categories (Series, AquaTouch, Click and Style, and Basic). With so many options, and so many specifications to compare, choosing the right one can be difficult.

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive...
Published 16 months ago by Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise and delighted., 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Stubble Styler RQ1195/17 (Personal Care)
Some years ago I bought a Phillips electric razor (Phillishave 4870). Although well made I could not get on with it . It was consigned to the cupboard and I went back to a wet shave. Having borrowed my son-in-laws electric razor (an older version of this one) when I was stuck unexpectedly overnight at my daughters I was surprised how much I liked it. I spent hours looking at the different models and reading the reviews. Not wishing to take out a second mortgage to buy one, especially as I was still uncertain, The price being offered for this razor which on paper seemed to fit the bill with its high specification, convinced me to take the risk and order.

To say that I was surprised at how well it performed would be an understatement. Okay, it does not shave as well as a wet shave if you are in a hurry, but take a little time and it is as good. A quick shave, around 1 minute as adequate for me to go through the day. 2 - 3 minutes is usually good enough to see me through into any evening activities. If I wish a 30 second run over will certainly satisfy "her indoors".

I have just been away for 14days and the battery still has plenty of life in it. I reckon I will get at least twenty days from it. Of course it is new so how long I will get this battery life is anyone's guess. I have of course used it wet and with shaving gel both giving great performance. Being able to wash it is a great advantage. I have used the beard attachment after sliding of the comb to trim .
sideburns, nose and ear hairs. works well. Some reviews complained about the on of switch. I have no problems whatsoever.

All in all agreat product. I delighted I took the plunge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - perhaps a little steep pricing, 26 Sept. 2013
Lewis Hiley (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a lot of lower end "budget shavers" in my life time i decided that it would be nice to treat myself to something which i didn't fear using everyday and i am happy to say that i did!

The Philips SensoTouch wet and dry shaver is without doubt the best shaver i have ever used! It is painless when used wet or dry and doesn't snag the hairs like a lot of its lower priced cousins. The shave is extremely close and almost as good as a regular wet shave!

It comes with a beard trimming attachment which is handy, although i have another tool with this in mind so i do not use it that often, only when travelling as it saves the hassle of carrying two products. The finish of the product is excellent and both the charging mechanism and unit itself appear strong and durable. My only gripe here is that there is no adapter for the plug, so i had to purchase one of these before charging the shaver.

Overall this is a great shaver, the price is a little steep but i suppose you do get what you pay for the most part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver for fans of Philips Rotary Head Shavers, 5 Dec. 2013
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this shaver for a few months having previously used another Philips shaver. This shaver is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used and if you are a fan of the Philips rotary head system then this is a good option. The wet and dry shave option is very good and not a gimmick. A wet shave with this shaver is very smooth.

As it is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used the decision to purchase it comes down to the differences. This shaver comes with a beard trimmer attachment, to use this you remove the shaver attachment and replace it with the trimmer. The beard trimmer has 5 length settings which is just about as much as you really need unless you are real aficionado of beards in which case a dedicated beard trimmer is probably best for you.

With the trimmer attached the angle at which you hold the shaver is a little awkward at first. It took me at least half a dozen times using it before it became comfortable. The guard on the beard trimmer is easily removed at which time the beard trimmer becomes a precision trimmer.

The shaver comes with a travel pouch, this is a soft pouch unlike other Philips models which are more rigid. The rigid pouch seems to offer better protection although I have not had a problem with the soft pouch. The razor has an LED batter indicator, other models give you a battery remaining indicator in minutes, this is just a series of lights. I prefer the display on other models.

Charging is exceptional as it is with all recent Philips models - a 20min charge will give over an hour of usage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips RQ1195 Review, 17 Sept. 2013
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive shaver Philips sells, in the Series shavers category. It comes packaged in an inefficiently large (17.3 x 24.4 x 8.8 cm) box that contains the following 12 items, but no Jet Clean System:

- RQ1195 shaver
- RQ11 shaving unit
- Protection cap (for RQ11)
- RQ111 Beard Styler attachment (alternative shaving unit)
- Comb (removable part of the RQ111)
- HQ8505 Adapter (AC/DC power adapter)
- Foldable charger
- Soft pouch
- Cleaning brush
- Philips RQ1100 series User manual (14 pages of wordless, graphical instructions)
- Philips RQ12XX, RQ11XX Important Information Booklet (4 pages in English)
- Philips Certificate of Purchase

The shape of the RQ1195 shaver is completely smooth and seamless, which makes it comfortable to hold and easy to clean. However, since the on/off button can't be felt, and can't easily be seen (it's a black power symbol on a black shaver), it takes a little while to locate. The shaver feels well-made and solid in the hand, yet weighs just 125 g on its own, 167 g with the RQ11 shaving unit attached, and 163 g with the RQ111 Beard Styler attached.

Charging up the shaver's built-in lithium-ion battery takes approximately one hour, which gives you a shaving time of up to 50 minutes. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, a full charge will last you as much as 17 shaves, or as little as two. The shaver comes with a power adapter, with the standard two-pin plug at one end, and a smaller plug at the other which normally goes straight into the shaver. However, there's no socket on the bottom of the shaver. So, the only way of charging it is via the supplied foldable charger (charging stand), which connects via the two metal contacts on the side of the shaver. The problem with this is, whenever you travel, you always have to remember to pack the foldable charger. But more importantly, if you ever run out of charge mid-shave, there's no way of using it off the mains! It's cordless only.

The shaving unit that comes with the RQ1195 shaver is an RQ11. The RQ11 contains three DualPrecision heads which each have two types of slot (normal hair, short stubble) arranged in a single track. The DualPrecision heads work well, but because they're single track, there's a lot of wasted space without any slots, which reduces their efficiency. The good news is, the entire RQ11 shaving unit can be pulled straight off the RQ1195 shaver and replaced with a more advanced RQ12 shaving unit (sold separately). The RQ12 contains three UltraTrack heads which each have three types of slot (normal hair, long hair, short stubble) arranged in a triple track configuration. The benefit of the RQ12 is 50% more shaving surface compared to the RQ11. Since Philips recommend replacing the RQ11 shaving unit after 2 years of use, it's a great opportunity to upgrade to the RQ12.

Something that surprised me about the RQ1195 shaver is that it has no pop-up trimmer. That's right, no pop-up trimmer. So, how are you supposed to shape the bottom of your sideburns, to get a nice clean line, without one? Sure, there's an RQ111 Beard Styler attachment included in the box, but that's not short enough for trimming sideburns, is it? Well it turns out, it is. The RQ111 Beard Styler attachment actually has a comb attachment clipped onto it, which can be removed. What you're left with an 18 mm wide blade (just like Hair Clippers) that's perfect for trimming sideburns.

Overall, I think the Philips RQ1195 is a good product. It's well-made and it gives decent shaving results. However, it's cordless only, it uses the lower quality DualPrecision heads, and there's no pop-up trimmer. So, unless you specifically need the RQ111 Beard Styler attachment, you might be better off getting the Philips RQ1250 instead (which has UltraTrack heads).

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid!, 1 Jan. 2015
My wife gave me this for Christmas as I was thinking of trying wet electric shaving to be kinder to my skin. I have now been using it for a week and have formed an opinion - what a load of rubbish!
I have been using Philips shavers for years and know how to use them, so my opinion is based on experience. It has plenty of pretty lights, it glides over the skin, but ... it doesn't actually cut anything. I have now tried it dry, with water, and with gel. No matter how I move it, no matter how lightly or hard I press, the result is always the same. My stubble remains almost exactly how it was before I started. I have now gone back to my old HQ8240. I have to use after-shave balm, but I have had a shave.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 30 Sept. 2014
Was very skeptical about this as previous attempts with electric razors had ended with severe skin burn and rash. Have been using this as a dry razor for just over a week and nothing but good; no rash, no burn. Impressed.
Thought I would try it as a wet razor today and cannot notice any perceptible difference. So wondering if there is any need to have both wet and dry?
Would recommend.
Anyone want a half used can of shaving gel?

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 7 Oct. 2013
I've been using the SensoTouch RQ1195 for about 4 weeks now. Prior to this I only used a wet razor as previous experience with electric ones hadn't been good - they took longer and did a worse job. However, having a new job (and a new child) means that my morning routine has changed and I bought this so as to give me flexibility to shave whenever and wherever I got the opportunity.

In summary - a great shaver. Results are as good as I get with a wet razor. Like all electric razors it struggles a bit with longer hair i.e. if I've left it more than 3 days. Challenge with the rotor approach is that getting precise lines on the sideburns is luck more than judgement and requires changing the head to the groomer. The sleek look and feel means that the on and off button isn't tactile and therefore you have to look for the button rather than feel for it!

However in summary I'm really pleased. It does what I want, better than I expected and I'd recommend to anyone who wanted an alternative or supplement to their wet shaving

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT SHAVER, 6 Nov. 2014
Philips, was for many years my shaver of choice. I tried the Panasonic 4 blade wet / dry shaver for a few months, and whilst it does give quite a good shave, it is heavy, noisy and the head is not as good over the contours of the face / neck.
The Philips shaver by contrast is light, with a fairly quiet motor and the shaver head is much better.
The quality of the shave is very good and I'm glad to be back with Philips.
Excellent purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars I have used 5 different Philips razors and this is the worst in terms of 'shaving', 18 Jan. 2015
I have used Braun and Philips shavers for about 10 years and tend to buy a new model every 2 or 3 years. My last razor was the Philips HS8460 which was excellent and 5 out of 5 so I thought that this being a newer model for a similar price it would be an upgrade. I have been using it for a month now and have decided it is time to cut my losses (no pun intended). Almost every time I have used it I have had to finish the job with my old razor. It takes twice as long with this 7000 series and despite going over the same area over and over and over again it simply doesn't shave my beard hair. While I am a big fan of philips razors generally I would not recommend this model and will be reverting back to the previous model until they release a new range.

While it looks and feels good, the shave is simply poor and not worth £10 let alone £100.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault, except .., 21 Aug. 2013
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The cost of course, but you are getting a lot of high quality kit packed into a light and well designed cordless shaver. The pivot and contour of the shaving head is the best out of all shavers I have owned so far, and the standard dry shaving has produced the best smoothest results too, I have fairly tough stubble and the low noise gliding sensation of this shaver is superb. But the best thing about it has been the wet shave with shaving foam. I have not been anywhere near a blade for years because I cut myself easily, so this Philips unit is awesome for that. I have had the closest shave since my teenage years (that's a long while ago) when it used to be so easy to get a clean face. I am also quite pleased about the separate trimmer head, because it's not just a sideburns trimmer, it's a proper beard/hair trimmer and really good for taking bushiness out of the sideburns and the hairs at back of the neck. Highly recommended.