5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise and delighted.
Published 11 months ago by Mike Ludwig

As part of their range of Personal Care products, Philips kindly offers a ridiculous number of shavers (26 to be precise), divided into four main categories (Series, AquaTouch, Click and Style, and Basic). With so many options, and so many specifications to compare, choosing the right one can be difficult.

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive...
Published 20 months ago by Alan

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise and delighted., 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver RQ1195/17 with Click-On Beard Trimmer (Personal Care)
Some years ago I bought a Phillips electric razor (Phillishave 4870). Although well made I could not get on with it . It was consigned to the cupboard and I went back to a wet shave. Having borrowed my son-in-laws electric razor (an older version of this one) when I was stuck unexpectedly overnight at my daughters I was surprised how much I liked it. I spent hours looking at the different models and reading the reviews. Not wishing to take out a second mortgage to buy one, especially as I was still uncertain, The price being offered for this razor which on paper seemed to fit the bill with its high specification, convinced me to take the risk and order.

To say that I was surprised at how well it performed would be an understatement. Okay, it does not shave as well as a wet shave if you are in a hurry, but take a little time and it is as good. A quick shave, around 1 minute as adequate for me to go through the day. 2 - 3 minutes is usually good enough to see me through into any evening activities. If I wish a 30 second run over will certainly satisfy "her indoors".

I have just been away for 14days and the battery still has plenty of life in it. I reckon I will get at least twenty days from it. Of course it is new so how long I will get this battery life is anyone's guess. I have of course used it wet and with shaving gel both giving great performance. Being able to wash it is a great advantage. I have used the beard attachment after sliding of the comb to trim .
sideburns, nose and ear hairs. works well. Some reviews complained about the on of switch. I have no problems whatsoever.

All in all agreat product. I delighted I took the plunge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well-made, But Cordless Only, Inefficient RQ11 Heads, And No Pop-up Trimmer, 17 Sept. 2013
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive shaver Philips sells, in the Series shavers category. It comes packaged in an inefficiently large (17.3 x 24.4 x 8.8 cm) box that contains the following 12 items, but no Jet Clean System:

- RQ1195 shaver
- RQ11 shaving unit
- Protection cap (for RQ11)
- RQ111 Beard Styler attachment (alternative shaving unit)
- Comb (removable part of the RQ111)
- HQ8505 Adapter (AC/DC power adapter)
- Foldable charger
- Soft pouch
- Cleaning brush
- Philips RQ1100 series User manual (14 pages of wordless, graphical instructions)
- Philips RQ12XX, RQ11XX Important Information Booklet (4 pages in English)
- Philips Certificate of Purchase

The shape of the RQ1195 shaver is completely smooth and seamless, which makes it comfortable to hold and easy to clean. However, since the on/off button can't be felt, and can't easily be seen (it's a black power symbol on a black shaver), it takes a little while to locate. The shaver feels well-made and solid in the hand, yet weighs just 125 g on its own, 167 g with the RQ11 shaving unit attached, and 163 g with the RQ111 Beard Styler attached.

Charging up the shaver's built-in lithium-ion battery takes approximately one hour, which gives you a shaving time of up to 50 minutes. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, a full charge will last you as much as 17 shaves, or as little as two. The shaver comes with a power adapter, with the standard two-pin plug at one end, and a smaller plug at the other which normally goes straight into the shaver. However, there's no socket on the bottom of the shaver. So, the only way of charging it is via the supplied foldable charger (charging stand), which connects via the two metal contacts on the side of the shaver. The problem with this is, whenever you travel, you always have to remember to pack the foldable charger. But more importantly, if you ever run out of charge mid-shave, there's no way of using it off the mains! It's cordless only.

The shaving unit that comes with the RQ1195 shaver is an RQ11. The RQ11 contains three DualPrecision heads which each have two types of slot (normal hair, short stubble) arranged in a single track. The DualPrecision heads work well, but because they're single track, there's a lot of wasted space without any slots, which reduces their efficiency. The good news is, the entire RQ11 shaving unit can be pulled straight off the RQ1195 shaver and replaced with a more advanced RQ12 shaving unit (sold separately). The RQ12 contains three UltraTrack heads which each have three types of slot (normal hair, long hair, short stubble) arranged in a triple track configuration. The benefit of the RQ12 is 50% more shaving surface compared to the RQ11. Since Philips recommend replacing the RQ11 shaving unit after 2 years of use, it's a great opportunity to upgrade to the RQ12.

Something that surprised me about the RQ1195 shaver is that it has no pop-up trimmer. That's right, no pop-up trimmer. So, how are you supposed to shape the bottom of your sideburns, to get a nice clean line, without one? Sure, there's an RQ111 Beard Styler attachment included in the box, but that's not short enough for trimming sideburns, is it? Well it turns out, it is. The RQ111 Beard Styler attachment actually has a comb attachment clipped onto it, which can be removed. What you're left with an 18 mm wide blade (just like Hair Clippers) that's perfect for trimming sideburns.

Overall, I think the Philips RQ1195 is a good product. It's well-made and it gives decent shaving results. However, it's cordless only, it uses the lower quality DualPrecision heads, and there's no pop-up trimmer. So, unless you specifically need the RQ111 Beard Styler attachment, you might be better off getting the Philips RQ1250 instead (which has UltraTrack heads).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - perhaps a little steep pricing, 26 Sept. 2013
Lewis Hiley (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used a lot of lower end "budget shavers" in my life time i decided that it would be nice to treat myself to something which i didn't fear using everyday and i am happy to say that i did!

The Philips SensoTouch wet and dry shaver is without doubt the best shaver i have ever used! It is painless when used wet or dry and doesn't snag the hairs like a lot of its lower priced cousins. The shave is extremely close and almost as good as a regular wet shave!

It comes with a beard trimming attachment which is handy, although i have another tool with this in mind so i do not use it that often, only when travelling as it saves the hassle of carrying two products. The finish of the product is excellent and both the charging mechanism and unit itself appear strong and durable. My only gripe here is that there is no adapter for the plug, so i had to purchase one of these before charging the shaver.

Overall this is a great shaver, the price is a little steep but i suppose you do get what you pay for the most part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver for fans of Philips Rotary Head Shavers, 5 Dec. 2013
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this shaver for a few months having previously used another Philips shaver. This shaver is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used and if you are a fan of the Philips rotary head system then this is a good option. The wet and dry shave option is very good and not a gimmick. A wet shave with this shaver is very smooth.

As it is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used the decision to purchase it comes down to the differences. This shaver comes with a beard trimmer attachment, to use this you remove the shaver attachment and replace it with the trimmer. The beard trimmer has 5 length settings which is just about as much as you really need unless you are real aficionado of beards in which case a dedicated beard trimmer is probably best for you.

With the trimmer attached the angle at which you hold the shaver is a little awkward at first. It took me at least half a dozen times using it before it became comfortable. The guard on the beard trimmer is easily removed at which time the beard trimmer becomes a precision trimmer.

The shaver comes with a travel pouch, this is a soft pouch unlike other Philips models which are more rigid. The rigid pouch seems to offer better protection although I have not had a problem with the soft pouch. The razor has an LED batter indicator, other models give you a battery remaining indicator in minutes, this is just a series of lights. I prefer the display on other models.

Charging is exceptional as it is with all recent Philips models - a 20min charge will give over an hour of usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 30 Sept. 2014
Was very skeptical about this as previous attempts with electric razors had ended with severe skin burn and rash. Have been using this as a dry razor for just over a week and nothing but good; no rash, no burn. Impressed.
Thought I would try it as a wet razor today and cannot notice any perceptible difference. So wondering if there is any need to have both wet and dry?
Would recommend.
Anyone want a half used can of shaving gel?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smooth shave, 18 Sept. 2013
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm going to start this review with a personal story that could potentially be a bit embarrassing, but I think it illustrates how close and smooth a shave this electric razor offers.

I went to use the shaver one morning and turned it on and carried on as one normally would. After a minute or so, I realised that there didn't seem to be any effect and thought that the shaver was actually not that great. However, it was only after a couple of minutes that I realised that I'd left the plastic cover on, but because the shaver is normally so smooth, I hadn't actually noticed!

But enough of the stories. The description claims that the shaver charges in an hour, and indeed it's not far away from this, being just over 65 minutes to charge my device. However, it does claim that it offers up to 50 minutes charging time however, in my experience, it is much better than this. I have had the shaver for approximately 50 days now and have only charged it once. That is with me using it once every 2 or 3 days, and the charge indicator states that it is still on 4 out of 5 bars.

One thing that some people may find irritating is that the beard trimmer doesn't come built into the shaver, as has normally been the case with previous models (arguably, a full beard trimmer has never been included, more of a cut down version). Instead, it is a separate attachment and the shaving head must be removed before this can be fitted. Personally, this doesn't bother me too much as at present, I have no real need for this attachment.

The shaver also feels comfortable in the hand and this makes it easy to hold and use and I would consider the results of this shaver to be excellent, using it both wet or dry, as there is virtually no feeling of stubble afterwards. I imagine this will decline slightly as the blades lose their sharpness, however, this will remain to be seen. I would point out that Philips recommend replacing the blades every 2 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 7 Oct. 2013
I've been using the SensoTouch RQ1195 for about 4 weeks now. Prior to this I only used a wet razor as previous experience with electric ones hadn't been good - they took longer and did a worse job. However, having a new job (and a new child) means that my morning routine has changed and I bought this so as to give me flexibility to shave whenever and wherever I got the opportunity.

In summary - a great shaver. Results are as good as I get with a wet razor. Like all electric razors it struggles a bit with longer hair i.e. if I've left it more than 3 days. Challenge with the rotor approach is that getting precise lines on the sideburns is luck more than judgement and requires changing the head to the groomer. The sleek look and feel means that the on and off button isn't tactile and therefore you have to look for the button rather than feel for it!

However in summary I'm really pleased. It does what I want, better than I expected and I'd recommend to anyone who wanted an alternative or supplement to their wet shaving

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT SHAVER, 6 Nov. 2014
Philips, was for many years my shaver of choice. I tried the Panasonic 4 blade wet / dry shaver for a few months, and whilst it does give quite a good shave, it is heavy, noisy and the head is not as good over the contours of the face / neck.
The Philips shaver by contrast is light, with a fairly quiet motor and the shaver head is much better.
The quality of the shave is very good and I'm glad to be back with Philips.
Excellent purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars No the one for Mediterranean beards, 6 Feb. 2015
S. Riza (uk) - See all my reviews
Hi.
This is my first review and apologize if written badly.

I am a light olive skinned Mediterranean and so have hard morning bristles
I have been looking for years for an electric shaver that will give me a good shave.
I have to say this is the best I have tried.
But unfortunately for my skin, it is absolutely rubbish.

If I used this everyday, I would have to shave 3 times a day.
However I tried it, it does not give me a close shave
I have tried it wet and dry

So if anyone knows a shaver that would work for me, please let me know.

Sorry Philips

1.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 15 Oct. 2013
I was really surprised at how disappointed I was with the product. You see, I wanted to like it because it's cool. But because it doesn't cut smoothly, you have to go over the same area again and again and again. So, instead of taking 2 minutes to shave, it takes around 8 minutes. And then when you get to work, you see a few uncut hairs, which is really annoying. It takes longer to do an inferior shave. Stay well away.