4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - perhaps a little steep pricing
Having used a lot of lower end "budget shavers" in my life time i decided that it would be nice to treat myself to something which i didn't fear using everyday and i am happy to say that i did!

Published 11 months ago by Lewis Hiley

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips RQ1195 Review
As part of their range of Personal Care products, Philips kindly offers a ridiculous number of shavers (26 to be precise), divided into four main categories (Series, AquaTouch, Click and Style, and Basic). With so many options, and so many specifications to compare, choosing the right one can be difficult.

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive...
Published 11 months ago by Alan

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - perhaps a little steep pricing, 26 Sep 2013
Lewis Hiley (Everywhere i can be!) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips Shaver Series 7000, Wet and Dry Shaver with Stubble Styler RQ1195/17 (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The Philips SensoTouch wet and dry shaver is without doubt the best shaver i have ever used! It is painless when used wet or dry and doesn't snag the hairs like a lot of its lower priced cousins. The shave is extremely close and almost as good as a regular wet shave!

It comes with a beard trimming attachment which is handy, although i have another tool with this in mind so i do not use it that often, only when travelling as it saves the hassle of carrying two products. The finish of the product is excellent and both the charging mechanism and unit itself appear strong and durable. My only gripe here is that there is no adapter for the plug, so i had to purchase one of these before charging the shaver.

Overall this is a great shaver, the price is a little steep but i suppose you do get what you pay for the most part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shaver for fans of Philips Rotary Head Shavers, 5 Dec 2013
K. Mcdougall "keithmc" (Wokingham, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using this shaver for a few months having previously used another Philips shaver. This shaver is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used and if you are a fan of the Philips rotary head system then this is a good option. The wet and dry shave option is very good and not a gimmick. A wet shave with this shaver is very smooth.

As it is as good as any other Philips shaver I have used the decision to purchase it comes down to the differences. This shaver comes with a beard trimmer attachment, to use this you remove the shaver attachment and replace it with the trimmer. The beard trimmer has 5 length settings which is just about as much as you really need unless you are real aficionado of beards in which case a dedicated beard trimmer is probably best for you.

With the trimmer attached the angle at which you hold the shaver is a little awkward at first. It took me at least half a dozen times using it before it became comfortable. The guard on the beard trimmer is easily removed at which time the beard trimmer becomes a precision trimmer.

The shaver comes with a travel pouch, this is a soft pouch unlike other Philips models which are more rigid. The rigid pouch seems to offer better protection although I have not had a problem with the soft pouch. The razor has an LED batter indicator, other models give you a battery remaining indicator in minutes, this is just a series of lights. I prefer the display on other models.

Charging is exceptional as it is with all recent Philips models - a 20min charge will give over an hour of usage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips RQ1195 Review, 17 Sep 2013
Alan (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The RQ1195 is currently the fourth most expensive shaver Philips sells, in the Series shavers category. It comes packaged in an inefficiently large (17.3 x 24.4 x 8.8 cm) box that contains the following 12 items, but no Jet Clean System:

- RQ1195 shaver
- RQ11 shaving unit
- Protection cap (for RQ11)
- RQ111 Beard Styler attachment (alternative shaving unit)
- Comb (removable part of the RQ111)
- HQ8505 Adapter (AC/DC power adapter)
- Foldable charger
- Soft pouch
- Cleaning brush
- Philips RQ1100 series User manual (14 pages of wordless, graphical instructions)
- Philips RQ12XX, RQ11XX Important Information Booklet (4 pages in English)
- Philips Certificate of Purchase

The shape of the RQ1195 shaver is completely smooth and seamless, which makes it comfortable to hold and easy to clean. However, since the on/off button can't be felt, and can't easily be seen (it's a black power symbol on a black shaver), it takes a little while to locate. The shaver feels well-made and solid in the hand, yet weighs just 125 g on its own, 167 g with the RQ11 shaving unit attached, and 163 g with the RQ111 Beard Styler attached.

Charging up the shaver's built-in lithium-ion battery takes approximately one hour, which gives you a shaving time of up to 50 minutes. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, a full charge will last you as much as 17 shaves, or as little as two. The shaver comes with a power adapter, with the standard two-pin plug at one end, and a smaller plug at the other which normally goes straight into the shaver. However, there's no socket on the bottom of the shaver. So, the only way of charging it is via the supplied foldable charger (charging stand), which connects via the two metal contacts on the side of the shaver. The problem with this is, whenever you travel, you always have to remember to pack the foldable charger. But more importantly, if you ever run out of charge mid-shave, there's no way of using it off the mains! It's cordless only.

The shaving unit that comes with the RQ1195 shaver is an RQ11. The RQ11 contains three DualPrecision heads which each have two types of slot (normal hair, short stubble) arranged in a single track. The DualPrecision heads work well, but because they're single track, there's a lot of wasted space without any slots, which reduces their efficiency. The good news is, the entire RQ11 shaving unit can be pulled straight off the RQ1195 shaver and replaced with a more advanced RQ12 shaving unit (sold separately). The RQ12 contains three UltraTrack heads which each have three types of slot (normal hair, long hair, short stubble) arranged in a triple track configuration. The benefit of the RQ12 is 50% more shaving surface compared to the RQ11. Since Philips recommend replacing the RQ11 shaving unit after 2 years of use, it's a great opportunity to upgrade to the RQ12.

Something that surprised me about the RQ1195 shaver is that it has no pop-up trimmer. That's right, no pop-up trimmer. So, how are you supposed to shape the bottom of your sideburns, to get a nice clean line, without one? Sure, there's an RQ111 Beard Styler attachment included in the box, but that's not short enough for trimming sideburns, is it? Well it turns out, it is. The RQ111 Beard Styler attachment actually has a comb attachment clipped onto it, which can be removed. What you're left with an 18 mm wide blade (just like Hair Clippers) that's perfect for trimming sideburns.

Overall, I think the Philips RQ1195 is a good product. It's well-made and it gives decent shaving results. However, it's cordless only, it uses the lower quality DualPrecision heads, and there's no pop-up trimmer. So, unless you specifically need the RQ111 Beard Styler attachment, you might be better off getting the Philips RQ1250 instead (which has UltraTrack heads).

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it looks, 7 Oct 2013
I've been using the SensoTouch RQ1195 for about 4 weeks now. Prior to this I only used a wet razor as previous experience with electric ones hadn't been good - they took longer and did a worse job. However, having a new job (and a new child) means that my morning routine has changed and I bought this so as to give me flexibility to shave whenever and wherever I got the opportunity.

In summary - a great shaver. Results are as good as I get with a wet razor. Like all electric razors it struggles a bit with longer hair i.e. if I've left it more than 3 days. Challenge with the rotor approach is that getting precise lines on the sideburns is luck more than judgement and requires changing the head to the groomer. The sleek look and feel means that the on and off button isn't tactile and therefore you have to look for the button rather than feel for it!

However in summary I'm really pleased. It does what I want, better than I expected and I'd recommend to anyone who wanted an alternative or supplement to their wet shaving

2.0 out of 5 stars 200 origial price - must be a joke, 4 Jan 2014
Good point is the battery life so far but the bad points far outweigh this.

The qualty of the shave is abysmal and you need to shave the same area over and over. At a supposed original selling price of 200 I expected much more. I really dont understand how they justify this as the performance is much worse than sub 40 typesand even at the reduced price on Amazon this is still an expensive lemon

wet shave feature is a waste of time because it takes so long to cut that your face is dry by the time it cuts

The need to change heads for the trimmer function is very annoying and finally the thing can only be charged in the cradle so when low on charge the shaver cant be run from the mains

Seems to have been designed by either Grizzly Adams or a 16 year old who has no use for a shaver and no grasp of price/performance

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to fault, except .., 21 Aug 2013
maximus (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The cost of course, but you are getting a lot of high quality kit packed into a light and well designed cordless shaver. The pivot and contour of the shaving head is the best out of all shavers I have owned so far, and the standard dry shaving has produced the best smoothest results too, I have fairly tough stubble and the low noise gliding sensation of this shaver is superb. But the best thing about it has been the wet shave with shaving foam. I have not been anywhere near a blade for years because I cut myself easily, so this Philips unit is awesome for that. I have had the closest shave since my teenage years (that's a long while ago) when it used to be so easy to get a clean face. I am also quite pleased about the separate trimmer head, because it's not just a sideburns trimmer, it's a proper beard/hair trimmer and really good for taking bushiness out of the sideburns and the hairs at back of the neck. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just short of brilliance but a great shaver none the less, 7 Oct 2013
The shaver was very easy to use, and as a user that has never used an electric shaver before it was very easy to use. The trimming feature was great, however i felt the overall shave was not as close as it could have been. Again this is me comparing to a razor of course and i don't expect nothing to cut that close. The shave however was very smooth, pain free, and relatively fast. Cleaning the device is very simple also. The head detaches with the user pressing in 2 sides and your provided a brush to fine clean all the remaining hair that is present. The product comes with a nice pouch also for safe storage along with a stand up charger which was a nice addition. As the shaver has no pop up trimmer i was curious how i would trim my side burns, however the beard trimmer also saw to that as the head of the beard trimmer comes off to present an even more precision cut. This was very pleasing to see that it was still factored in and not omitted. Now the question is, will this replace my usual razor? Sadly no, however i have since started using both. If i am in a rush or feeling lazy, i use the electric shaver as it still gives me a professional look and feel i desire. I find it very convenient and though my initial response to my question was no, i have in recent weeks found my self going back to the electric shaver more than i thought i would be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has a life of its own!, 2 Sep 2013
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always used electric shavers and have over the last 35 years owned models both cheap and expensive from all the major brands.

Personally, no matter what "shaving systems" I try, I tend to end up back with a rotary shaver as that just seems to work better with my skin/beard type.

This is a good looking shaver - it is quite small and lightweight and looks very modern. It has a nice solid charging stand and set of charging LEDs that let you know how much charge is left etc. - more on these in a moment.

It also comes with an interchangeable beard trimmer/detailer head and a simple carrying pouch.

I found actual shaving performance to be OK rather that anything spectacular. It's quiet in use and the motor never sounds like it is straining or anything like that, but for some reason it just does not seem to cope very well with shaving my neck or around my Adam's apple area.

I do have a few other issues too. I find the lack of an integrated trimmer very annoying - not only do you have to change the head to fit the detailing tool, but I just could not seem to get a nice clean cut from it no matter what angle I held it at.

Also, the previously mentioned LEDs seem to have a life of their own on my shaver. When you put the shaver in its charging stand, they do a little "dance" where all the lights go on and off in sequence. On my shaver, it might do this once, or ten times, or any other random number of times until it decides to settle to showing the actual charge level. Upon completion of the charge it also can't always decide if it is going to turn the lights off or leave them on. The indicator lights are very bright white and for me at least they too bright to leave on at night so I have to take the shaver out of the charging cradle to make them go off. Also, even if the lights have all gone out, it sometimes randomly decides to turn them all on again in the middle of the night. I guess these things could be a fault with my particular shaver though.

Overall - Personally I would be a little disappointed if I had spent this much money on a "state of the art" shaver.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could give it a -1 Star if I could, 22 May 2014
I am over 40 and so I have gone through a number of electric razors since puberty.... Why we men get electric ones as opposed to having a wet shave? Because we can be lazy (at times ^_^) or perhaps don't want to waste time in the morning during the week. Well, if you are unfortunate enough to own one of these then you might as well have a wet one every day. Why?

[1] It just doesn't cut well at all. You can go through the same patch over and over again and there will still be many strands of hair remaining.
[2] The trimmer is not only too narrow, it doesn't trim either.
[3] For the ridiculous price tag, you would expect it to perform a lot better than this. I have another one that costs only 35 to 40% of this SensoTouch and it works fantastically well.
[4] All electric razors 'trap' the ends of hair inside its rotor compartment so as not to make a mess. This is the whole point isn't it. This SensoTouch, when it does cut, will sprinkle the cut hair all over the bathroom sink.... [So don't even use it while you are moving around, drinking your coffee, eating your breakfast, etc.... otherwise you will be adding some of 'you' to whatever you are eating] - [*My wife had complained about this and I told her it was because of the razor she me]
[5] Because of its way below par performance, you have to spend at least twice as long as you would on a good electric razor....so, just have a wet one.

*I didn't buy this - it is a Valentine's day present from my wife. Bless her, she has no idea about electric razors at all. She just thought it was expensive, so it must be good. Unfortunately the two things are not mutually exclusive.

Thank God I still have another one - a cheaper and better razor also by Philips. Perhaps my Philips Senso will have an 'accident' one day and meet its maker!

I have this analogy about this crappy razor - I have watched some movies that have great CG/SX but the story sucks. It is as though they had spent so much on making it that they forgot they also need a story in order to make a movie great.

Well, Philips Senso's design is fabulous and very ergonomic but they had spent so much on designing the darn thing that they forgot to do one rather vital thing - to make it shave hair!.

I doubt anyone can get a worse electric razor than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 29 May 2014
Got given for my birthday in april and never looked back amazing and easy to use with the travel pouch i can take it away with me and my wife when we go on hoilday. thank you