5.0 out of 5 stars Super simple to set up and works brilliantly!
Published 13 months ago by Fliptop

Published 9 months ago by S N BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simple to set up and works brilliantly!, 21 Sep 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This is a great product. As I recently installed a BT Hub 4 I needed a router that could handle the dual bandwidth of the router. Many similar products involved more set up time. This took about 2 minutes and was so easy. I have 2 different 1 foot "external thickness" walls between the router and the main bedroom and lounge. Signal in the bedroom was usually non-existent, and was weak to medium in the lounge. Now I have a full strength signal in the bedroom and better signal strength through out the whole house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this Helps, 19 July 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This is a great piece of kit - but only if it is set up correctly.
Most people get a dual band router plug it in and never change the settings, they then get the extender plug that in, link it as per the simple instructions and away they go.
Any issues, problems with the original router are then just transmitted for a greater distance which then makes them think its the extenders fault - I bet 9 times out of 10 it isn't.
For those of you with problems connecting or dropping connections may I suggest the following?
The inherent problem with the new dual band technology is that not all our gadgets like it or can use it, such as older iPads, iPhones etc.
The fix is really easy and only takes a few minutes and can I suggest you give it a try?
Firstly go into your router settings and change the name of the faster channel only - I simply added a 5 to the end of the current name and turn of the auto switch option.
Then turn on your iPad, or whatever, and do a wireless search where you will find the original, which you will still be connected to, and also the new one with the new name. Connect to this new one, you will need your password, and your device will then see both the new channels and will automatically switch between the two as it feels necessary.
Older kit will only see the slower band and will be happy now because the router will not be trying to make it switch to the faster one so no more dropped connections.
Do this on all your devices and I think you will find them all a lot happier and it also gives you the choice of which band you want to connect to, the slower for better distance and the faster for speed but less distance.
Now you need to set up the extender to match, the easiest way is to download from the BT website a little program called BT Device Configuration Tool.
Plug in the extender and then run this program which will detect the extender and open up a configuration screen, just change the name of the faster channel on the extender to exactly the same as the router and job done.
It may sound complicated but it really isn't and I think you will find that having two channels being transmitted rather than one will make life a lot easier.
I hope this helps

3.0 out of 5 stars Extender can give lower wifi download speeds than main router, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This device does extend the wifi range of your main router but what is much less clear from the promotional blurb is that it can also dramatically reduce download speed at the same time. My main BT Home Hub 5 provides >55mbps whereas accessing the same router via the BT Extender reduces this to between 10-14 mbps. The annoying thing is that all our wifi devices pick up the Extender's slower speed signal in preference to the faster signal, regardless of where I am in the house. BT does acknowledge this issue somewhere in the depths of its online help pages - it's just an inherent drawback with the technology. BT also provides a downloadable program which enables you to set up the Extender with a separate SSID. So now we have the minor inconvenience of two wireless networks in the house. It is necessary to login separately to each one. Yes, this is a "first world problem" but who would willingly and knowingly sacrifice a big chunk of the download speed they pay handsomely for? So it does work in that it reaches parts that a main router might not - just don't necessarily expect to get the same download speed normally delivered by that same router. My gripe is not that the technology clearly has limitations, it's that the marketing people appear to have chosen not to communicate this to people. My decision to purchase this particular bit of kit might have been different had I been in possession of all the relevant facts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best i've tried - Terrible instructions, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
WiFi Extenders are NOT a cure for bad signals and you need to use them with a little care.
Placement is key. They only amplify the signal they receive so if you place them too far away from the main router all you are doing to amplifying a poor signal.
This is why you need to take a little time to find a spot where the signal starts to fall off and put the Extender there.

I put mine where the connection is down from 150mbps to around 50mbps so in the garden I still get a true 50mbps not the 11 or less I used to get. Don't be confused by the extender telling you a connection speed. This is what you are connected to the extender at, the real speed is what the extender has connected to the router at.

Happily the BT extender has lights on the front to help you do this and make it simple for those who aren't able to use the old methods. Seems pretty accurate too. Feels well made.

Connection via WPS is easy taking a few moments and the extender uses the same name as you existing router and becomes seemless into your network. Happy days.

It does have issues though.......

Firstly the lights indicated the 2.4ghz strength not the 5ghz network strength so if you want extended 5ghz coverage particularly you'll need to place it closer than the lights tell you. The book doesn't tell you this.

Secondly the auto setup doesn't name itself properly. My network has 1 name for the 2.4 and 1 for the 5ghz. The auto setup created a new 5ghz named the same as the 2.4ghz not what I originally called it. So I had 3 network not 2. Not ideal.

Thirdly accessing the extender after setup requires you know the IP address the router has given the extender and put that into your browser not the original 192.168.1.1 as told in the instructions. It doesn't tell you this.

Fourthly there are NO instructions on any of the advanced functions at all.

BUT once setup it performs brilliantly. Older extenders half the connection rate straight away as wifi is not duplex and cannot send a receive at the same time. So a laptop to an extender to a router has a lot of waiting going on. They use the same channel too as the main traffic making matters worse. Your weak connection is halved again by the extender before it boosts it.

This is one of the newer designs however that transmits on a different channel to it receives avoiding this problem and in testing I have seen little difference in speeds connecting to the router or the extender (stood next to the extender downloading a 4gb file over the network). This is good.

4 Stars for simplicity initially and quality
3 Stars for instructions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy to set up., 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
As stated in the user guide, just push the WPS button on your Router, followed by the WPS button on this Extender, and you can then experiment in finding the best location for this unit. Nice neat solid design.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY OR YOUR WIFI NETWORK WILL DIE, 26 Sep 2014
Mr. T. J. Taylor (Wormley, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
It gets one star for spelling its name correctly and that's about the best I can say.
It certainly extends the range of the router, but it messes up your wifi on your laptop or pc, by attributing fictitious IP addresses and setting up additional unknown networks, which have no internet access.
At first I assumed the problems were caused by some Microsoft update to Windows. But no. By the time I had uninstalled and re-installed the correct wifi network and settings for the hundred thousandth time on all the PCs, laptops, tablets and phones in our household, I tried one last thin and switched off the extender. And magically, the wifi network worked fine again for several weeks. At least until I turned the extender on again, and within seconds the whole network had crashed again.
It really is the worst purchase I have ever made anywhere. And because I trusted it with the BT brand, it is now out of time for returns.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most extenders but not without issues., 15 July 2014
Cambridge Ian (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
I have this linked to my HH5 with inifinty 2 .

On the plus side connection was very easy - simply press the wps buttons and away you go. Reposition the extender and it should all work fine.

I've had a couple of problems - initial set up gives it the same name as the home hub - on occasions this would leave us unable to connect to the network or leave us connected but no internet or slow internet. This was solved by giving the extender its own network id (this doesn't affect any items on the network - shared printers etc will all continue to work). BT provide a downloadable tool to do this but I found it easier to log into the IP address and change it directly. BT suggest this to solve the problem of slower speeds.

The 2nd issue was the connection to the extender would sometime fail from my laptop - the main reason for the extender was to get wifi into my office. I have finally solved this by turning off the 5hz band and just leaving it on 2.4 - this has made the connection much more robust and so far connections now work fine.

The only other "issue" is the speed - from the Homehub directly I get 50mps+ connection, via the extender in the office i get 10 -20mps. I can live with this as without it the very hit and miss wifi direct form the homehub through walls etc would rarely hit 2mps if it connected at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
Plugged into one socket but it was too near moved to a socket at other side of the room approx 8 feet away and it was too far. As I don't have a socket in the middle of a room I plugged it into the socket that was too close. Whilst it did work it did not extend the wifi any further than i could already connect via the router.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does work, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
Turned up really quickly.

We have BT v4 non infinity to cover a big 5 bed farmhouse with thick walls.
A couple of dead zones but once in correct place my home office, kitchen, sitting room and bedroom all receive wi fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Function over form, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
I purchased this after upgrading to BT Infinity and a main router change from a BT Home Hub 3 Type B (HH3) to a BT Home Hub 5 (HH5). Wi-fi reception and transfer rates were a bit patchy in certain areas of my house using the HH3, but the signal strength of the HH5 was noticeably poorer when testing them side-by-side. I used InSSIDer which is a really good free Wi-fi analysis software to test.

I'd read about the poor signal of the HH5 online before the upgrade, so I went into the upgrade with my eyes open and ordered this BT repeater in advance. Set up was straightforward and like others, I have found good results despite it showing either a red "Too close" or the amber light sitting between "Too close" and "Good range". A quick test with a speed test app showed ping time, download and upload speeds very close to those obtained right next to the main router.

The device plugs into any mains socket in the house and unlike HomePlug Ethernet networks, they don't need to be on the same mains circuit, so it's a viable alternative for sheds, garages and garden offices on different main circuits (as long as it's still in wireless range of the main router of course). It measures approx 12 cm tall, 7 cm wide and sticks out from the mains socket by 5 cm.

One observation is that WPS on some devices doesn't seem to like the fact that there are now multiple access points on the same SSID (network name). It's not a major drama and not a direct fault of the repeater.

The reason for the loss of a star may seem petty - it's black. It didn't even cross my mind at first, in fact it seemed logical that it matched BT's Home Hub, but I have it in a socket on my landing and after a couple of weeks in place it still sticks out like a sore thumb. Most mains sockets are white (I know some are chrome and brass), most walls are decorated in light colours, most skirting boards are white. Why it has to black is beyond me - heat dissipation? Unlikely.

Is anyone going to not buy it because it black? No. Can I move it to somewhere less obvious? Yes. Could BT have made it white? Of course.

Any questions, please comment and I'll help if I can.

BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600