5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this Helps
This is a great piece of kit - but only if it is set up correctly.
Most people get a dual band router plug it in and never change the settings, they then get the extender plug that in, link it as per the simple instructions and away they go.
Published 9 months ago by Baggins

Published 14 months ago by S N BROWN

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope this Helps, 19 July 2014
Baggins (Glos) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This is a great piece of kit - but only if it is set up correctly.
Any issues, problems with the original router are then just transmitted for a greater distance which then makes them think its the extenders fault - I bet 9 times out of 10 it isn't.
For those of you with problems connecting or dropping connections may I suggest the following?
The inherent problem with the new dual band technology is that not all our gadgets like it or can use it, such as older iPads, iPhones etc.
The fix is really easy and only takes a few minutes and can I suggest you give it a try?
Firstly go into your router settings and change the name of the faster channel only - I simply added a 5 to the end of the current name and turn of the auto switch option.
Then turn on your iPad, or whatever, and do a wireless search where you will find the original, which you will still be connected to, and also the new one with the new name. Connect to this new one, you will need your password, and your device will then see both the new channels and will automatically switch between the two as it feels necessary.
Older kit will only see the slower band and will be happy now because the router will not be trying to make it switch to the faster one so no more dropped connections.
Do this on all your devices and I think you will find them all a lot happier and it also gives you the choice of which band you want to connect to, the slower for better distance and the faster for speed but less distance.
Now you need to set up the extender to match, the easiest way is to download from the BT website a little program called BT Device Configuration Tool.
Plug in the extender and then run this program which will detect the extender and open up a configuration screen, just change the name of the faster channel on the extender to exactly the same as the router and job done.
It may sound complicated but it really isn't and I think you will find that having two channels being transmitted rather than one will make life a lot easier.
I hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Super simple to set up and works brilliantly!, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This is a great product. As I recently installed a BT Hub 4 I needed a router that could handle the dual bandwidth of the router. Many similar products involved more set up time. This took about 2 minutes and was so easy. I have 2 different 1 foot "external thickness" walls between the router and the main bedroom and lounge. Signal in the bedroom was usually non-existent, and was weak to medium in the lounge. Now I have a full strength signal in the bedroom and better signal strength through out the whole house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best i've tried - Terrible instructions, 20 Oct. 2013
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
WiFi Extenders are NOT a cure for bad signals and you need to use them with a little care.
Placement is key. They only amplify the signal they receive so if you place them too far away from the main router all you are doing to amplifying a poor signal.
This is why you need to take a little time to find a spot where the signal starts to fall off and put the Extender there.

I put mine where the connection is down from 150mbps to around 50mbps so in the garden I still get a true 50mbps not the 11 or less I used to get. Don't be confused by the extender telling you a connection speed. This is what you are connected to the extender at, the real speed is what the extender has connected to the router at.

Happily the BT extender has lights on the front to help you do this and make it simple for those who aren't able to use the old methods. Seems pretty accurate too. Feels well made.

Connection via WPS is easy taking a few moments and the extender uses the same name as you existing router and becomes seemless into your network. Happy days.

It does have issues though.......

Firstly the lights indicated the 2.4ghz strength not the 5ghz network strength so if you want extended 5ghz coverage particularly you'll need to place it closer than the lights tell you. The book doesn't tell you this.

Secondly the auto setup doesn't name itself properly. My network has 1 name for the 2.4 and 1 for the 5ghz. The auto setup created a new 5ghz named the same as the 2.4ghz not what I originally called it. So I had 3 network not 2. Not ideal.

Thirdly accessing the extender after setup requires you know the IP address the router has given the extender and put that into your browser not the original 192.168.1.1 as told in the instructions. It doesn't tell you this.

Fourthly there are NO instructions on any of the advanced functions at all.

BUT once setup it performs brilliantly. Older extenders half the connection rate straight away as wifi is not duplex and cannot send a receive at the same time. So a laptop to an extender to a router has a lot of waiting going on. They use the same channel too as the main traffic making matters worse. Your weak connection is halved again by the extender before it boosts it.

This is one of the newer designs however that transmits on a different channel to it receives avoiding this problem and in testing I have seen little difference in speeds connecting to the router or the extender (stood next to the extender downloading a 4gb file over the network). This is good.

4 Stars for simplicity initially and quality
3 Stars for instructions!

3.0 out of 5 stars Extender can give lower wifi download speeds than main router, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
This device does extend the wifi range of your main router but what is much less clear from the promotional blurb is that it can also dramatically reduce download speed at the same time. My main BT Home Hub 5 provides >55mbps whereas accessing the same router via the BT Extender reduces this to between 10-14 mbps. The annoying thing is that all our wifi devices pick up the Extender's slower speed signal in preference to the faster signal, regardless of where I am in the house. BT does acknowledge this issue somewhere in the depths of its online help pages - it's just an inherent drawback with the technology. BT also provides a downloadable program which enables you to set up the Extender with a separate SSID. So now we have the minor inconvenience of two wireless networks in the house. It is necessary to login separately to each one. Yes, this is a "first world problem" but who would willingly and knowingly sacrifice a big chunk of the download speed they pay handsomely for? So it does work in that it reaches parts that a main router might not - just don't necessarily expect to get the same download speed normally delivered by that same router. My gripe is not that the technology clearly has limitations, it's that the marketing people appear to have chosen not to communicate this to people. My decision to purchase this particular bit of kit might have been different had I been in possession of all the relevant facts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent range extender, 14 Jan. 2015
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
*** If you vote this review 'unhelpful', I'd appreciate a comment to explain why ***

NB A lot of the reviews here are of the BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600. I am reviewing the 1200 which works very differently.

Here's a summary for anyone who doesn't want the detail: This is a doddle to set up (as long as your router has a WPS button - most do, these days) and works well.

It creates two new networks. The new networks use the key and SSID (name) of the existing 2.4GHz network. "EXT2-" and "EXT5-" are prefixed to the new SSIDs (2.4GHz and 5GHz bands respectively).
So, if your existing network is, say, MYWIFI, the new ones will be EXT2-MYWIFI and EXT5-MYWIFI.

You then choose, on each device, which of the three to connect to. If you move out of range of one, your device should automatically switch to another. 5GHz will generally give you higher speed but less range, but not all devices offer 5GHz support.

You can also connect one device to the Extender with the supplied Ethernet cable.

That's it. Cheaper extenders are available but I haven't tried any of them. This is certainly a good one and I'd recommend it.

===============================

Now, a bit more detail for anyone interested.

I use this with a BT Home Hub 5. Other reviewers talk about it using the same SSID as your router and simply extending the network. That may be true of the 600 but I am reviewing the 1200.

The 1200 created two new networks, 2.4GHz and 5GHz, and I understand it would do so even with a single-band router. It prefixed "EXT2-" and "EXT5-" to my existing 2.4GHz SSID to create the new SSIDs. You can easily change them - see below.

So, now I have four wi-fi networks (having given my Hub's 5GHz network an SSID of its own) and am able to choose between them.

The range indicator on the front is useful. I moved the Extender from one socket to another, progressively further from the Hub, until the indicator was between Good Range and Too Far.

PERFORMANCE
===========

I ran a series of tests using the thinkbroadband website but would need a book to go into the results in any detail. The main points are:

1. I installed the Extender two rooms from my Hub. The Hub has a NAS drive attached to it. On the 2.4GHz band, my laptop showed a 5-bar signal from the Extender, 2-3 bar from the Hub, but connecting to the Hub gave slightly higher speeds than connecting to the Extender. Those speeds were 1/2 to 1/3 of those I saw when working in the same room as the Hub.

2. In the same location, using the 5GHz band, the signal from my Hub was almost non-existent but connecting to the 5GHz Extender network gave excellent results, with higher speeds than either of the 2.4GHz tests.

3. Moving my laptop further from the Hub, so that it couldn't see the Hub on either band, I could still connect to the Extender and get good speeds on both bands.

One more thing - there's a 2.4GHz/5GHz switch on the Extender. It allows you to choose which band to use for the Extender-to-router connection. You'll need to set it up manually (see below) - not difficult for anyone happy to fiddle with router settings. Connecting over 5GHz gave higher speeds on devices connected to the Extender, but I'll stick to 2.4GHz, to maximise the router-extender range.

Editing the Extender firmware
=============================

To access/edit the Extender firmware, e.g. to change the SSIDs or switch to your router's 5GHz network, you could use the BT configuration tool mentioned by Baggins in his review. You might struggle to find it, as I did. I haven't used it (don't like installing s/w I don't really need) but you may want to give it a try. It's at:

You don't need the tool, if you're prepared to a little straightforward technical work. You'll need the Extender's ip address: go into your router settings and look for the BT-11ac-DualBand-WiFi-Extender on your network. To do so on a Home Hub 5, access the Hub using http://bthomehub.home (or its ip address 192.168.1.254) in a browser address bar and look under Advanced Settings / Home Network / Wireless Connections. My Extender was at 192.168.1.93

Now type the Extender's ip address into a browser address bar and sign in (the default admin password is on the back of the Extender and also the instructions).

CONCLUSION
==========

This extender isn't the smallest of its type, the instructions should offer more advice on usage, and it's quite pricey at its current £70. On the other hand, it looks smart, is easy to set up and works well, which is what really counts - I'd strongly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Plug in and Go? I don't think so..., 24 Jan. 2014
D. MYLES "DJMinky" (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
I agree with many posts about this. The item was used to work alongside a BT Business Hub and it did not even pick up the wi-fi from the hub and just displayed flashing lights. A waste of an hour trying to get it to work. I have returned it for a full refund and that process has been excellent thus far. I would not recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work., 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
I could not get the extender to recognise my router. It is not that easy to set up as stated

4.0 out of 5 stars It was still tricky finding a good solution, though, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
We live in a house with some very thick (2ft plus) internal walls, which makes wifi a problem, and this device did help. It was still tricky finding a good solution, though, and I had to rely on line-of-sight through doorways to get it to work. The too close red/amber lights are on most of the time (occasionally green - strangely) but it seems to work, getting wifi reception into rooms that previously didn't have any, and better signal in others.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned!, 10 April 2014
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
Plugged into one socket but it was too near moved to a socket at other side of the room approx 8 feet away and it was too far. As I don't have a socket in the middle of a room I plugged it into the socket that was too close. Whilst it did work it did not extend the wifi any further than i could already connect via the router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, 13 Dec. 2013
P. Freund (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600 (Accessory)
I am glad to say this was as easy to set up as other reviewers have suggested, once I could get my router to provide the required WPS signal, which necessitated a re-boot but that's no big deal. So after about a week's use I am happy with the performance.

The only problem I still have is nothing to do with the BT unit itself but with one of my wireless computers which refuses to link to the new signal and remains firmly locked on the original (weaker) router signal. Hopefully I will find a way around that problem eventually!

BT Dual-Band Wi-Fi Extender 600