Published 9 months ago by RetiredProf

3.0 out of 5 stars BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500
When I first purchased this item I was very pleased. I was getting bad Wi-Fi drop-off in my bedroom (I have BT Infinity 2 with Home Hub 5). At first it was very reliable and provided wireless speeds of about 30-40 mbps. Now it has become very tempermental and only works when it wants to. It's annoying because I regularly have to disconnect and reconnect my Wi-Fi on my...
Published 1 month ago by Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather expensive but works brilliantly in house with thick walls, 19 Dec 2013
Having re-located my (BT) hub to a different part of the house, I needed to extend the Wi-Fi range. The house has VERY thick stone walls, and I had previously tried BT's Dual Band Wi-Fi extender as well as other power line extenders, with very limited success. This product, however, works brilliantly. It took me about 2 minutes to set up and I get the full five bars on the side of the house furthest from the hub! I'm not sure yet whether I shall need to buy additional plugs for other parts of the house (which would start to be rather costly). So, although you could probably get away with cheaper solutions in houses with "normal" walls, if you live in a property with very thick stone walls, this works really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit, 19 Jan 2014
'Works out of the box' is one of those euphemistic phrases that normally means having to decipher a user guide translated from an ancient eastern language whilst scratching your head wondering which bit goes where.

Not so with this product.

1. Plug one end of the supplied ethernet cable into the powerline adapter
2. Plug the other end into your router
3. Plug the adapter into a wall socket
4. Take the wi-fi extender to the room where you want wi-fi and plug it into a wall socket

That's it! It will show up in the list of wireless devices then you connect to it just like any other.

A couple of tips:
a. Make a note of the admin password and wireless key before step 4 (both are on the label attached to the extender)
b. If you are going to change the password, download and install the BT Device Configuration Tool which will make things easier (available from [...] )

I don't think they could have made the installation any easier if they tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says, 25 May 2014
We have just moved into a 1954 house with very thick walls. We could only get a wi fi signal one room away from the router. We tried a number of booster devices without much joy. Then we found this gizmo its brilliant, hard wire the first one to the router and plug it to the wiring system. Then link as many other units as you like, we are using a total of three, two down stairs and one up stairs this gives us a full signal everywhere in the house and a reasonable distance outside. It is literally a plug and play device ready to go in seconds. There have been no problems so far with any of the units dropping out or losing signal strength. They do say you get what you pay for, whilst this is not the cheapest device I chose it because I have a BT router. I am very happy with the performance, would not hesitate to buy additional add ons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat solution, 14 Dec 2013
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I live in a large & very old house with very thick walls. I have had alot of trouble getting broadband in parts of my house so this looked like a simple & pretty cheap solution. And so it was. Easy set up straight from the box. Had it going within 10 minutes of opening it. No need to drill holes in my wall - this is a fantastic product and cheaper than getting a second box. Neat & compact. Clean & simple. Delighted !

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as written on box, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I upgraded to Superfast fibre broadband for increased download speed to watch films etc without it pausing every so often. My down load speeds fluctuated between 6.5 and 14.5 Mb/sec. Not what I was expecting. Phoned BT and was told that the speed at the modem was 75Mb/sec and if I wanted to achieve speeds reaching this, I would have to connect to the modem by ethernet cable. I read most of the reviews of this product, some good and some bad. I did not know which way to turn in the end. I know that the chap in the BT advert would not be knocking on my door saying "that is really fast". I decided to take a chance on the Hotspot 500. I followed the instructions provided and even for the non technical person that I am, it connected smoothly. I connected the main one to my Homehub 5 by ethernet cable and then went upstairs and plugged the other module into the mains by my PC. I then connected my PC to this one by ethernet cable and switched on. It worked as stated on the box. My speeds are now between 60 and 65 Mb/sec. Now that is a result and the reason I gave it a 5 star rating. It worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to extend a home network, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like all powerline-based products, the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 is very much a plug and play device. The 'Broadband Extender Flex' is plugged into a mains socket near to your router and your router then plugs into this via an Ethernet cable. The 'Wi-Fi Home Hotspot' plug is then connected to a separate mains socket and automatically connects to the Extender. Network devices can then connect to the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot plug either wirelessly or via one of the 2 built-in Ethernet ports, allowing these devices to have full network and internet connectivity.

Being AV500 I found the data throughput to be very fast and full stutter-free HD movie streaming of MKV files was easily possible. Even better, I noticed no degradation of network throughput when the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 was used alongside my existing TP-Link AV300 powerline devices, so integration with these was very impressive and had no adverse effects on performance.

The BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 is a very reliable and robust way of extending network coverage using home powerlines, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe they worked, 28 Mar 2014
Judith Garnett (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I live in a very old building where getting a wifi signal throughout house is a nightmare. I have more than one ring main so was not sure if they would work but once both plugged in they have given me a wifi signal in about 80% of the house - which is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Smooth, 14 Dec 2013
Hawk1 "M.H" (England (London)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I have had a few wifi range extenders in the past to extend my current wifi network throughout the home but none perfomed anywhere near as this powerline extender which i have decided to invest. I have to say this has had paid off very well after more than a year struggling to get a good wifi reception in the home even using wifi extenders.

Connected instantly and very fast connection through the power line and thats only connected to power extension i believe it would be even more fast if i connect it directly to the power socket. the built in wifi hotspot is also fast and smooth due to the fact the its connected to the router/modem via power line and so always a strong connection.

No more wifi extenders for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
With my knowledge and skills with technology, I didn't hold out much hope of getting this to work without calling for help from a friendly geek. To my surprise I managed it. Very impressed, as the main router is hard wired around 40 metres away (office) and I've not seen a drop off in signal strength (at the house). Would happily recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 Dec 2013
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I have been looking for a power line wifi extender for some time now but couldn't decide on which one . However when I saw BT were now making one I thought this should be worth a go as Im with them for my home broadband . We have a complete dead spot upstairs in our home so using tablets etc. was virtually impossible . I opened the box , read the very brief instructions , did what they told me to do and waited to be disappointed . I don't normally write reviews however I felt compelled to regarding this bit of kit , in about 2 minutes all was working and pumping out a very strong wifi signal without any problems or annoying set up issues . All I can say is that its slightly more expensive than other brands but worth every penny , BT have done a very good job !!!

BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit