Published 18 months ago by RetiredProf

1.0 out of 5 stars Stops working after a while
Worked as expected after installation but after a while after the connection was terminated despite all the pilot lights showing green. My house is large on 3 floors, router is on floor one and hotspot installed on floor 3 - maybe beyond working distance. Powered on and off multiple times - same result. Phoned BT support, waited 15 minutes and then was told to get the...
Published 10 months ago by L. M. Wald

5.0 out of 5 stars Rather expensive but works brilliantly in house with thick walls, 19 Dec. 2013
Having re-located my (BT) hub to a different part of the house, I needed to extend the Wi-Fi range. The house has VERY thick stone walls, and I had previously tried BT's Dual Band Wi-Fi extender as well as other power line extenders, with very limited success. This product, however, works brilliantly. It took me about 2 minutes to set up and I get the full five bars on the side of the house furthest from the hub! I'm not sure yet whether I shall need to buy additional plugs for other parts of the house (which would start to be rather costly). So, although you could probably get away with cheaper solutions in houses with "normal" walls, if you live in a property with very thick stone walls, this works really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Brilliantly, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
Easy to set up and works brilliantly (even when plugged into an extension plug and not directly into wall, as per the recommended set up)
I was surprised to learn that the second unit extends your wifi signal by relaying it using a new wifi router and new wifi password. For example I have a sky broadband router which I have extended to another part of the flat using the BT wifi home hotspot. Now set up in the other room I have to locate the BT router and type in the password code on each of my devices. Once set up though you can choose between your main router (Sky) or the new router (BT) on each device depending on the strongest signal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit, 19 Jan. 2014
'Works out of the box' is one of those euphemistic phrases that normally means having to decipher a user guide translated from an ancient eastern language whilst scratching your head wondering which bit goes where.

Not so with this product.

1. Plug one end of the supplied ethernet cable into the powerline adapter
2. Plug the other end into your router
3. Plug the adapter into a wall socket
4. Take the wi-fi extender to the room where you want wi-fi and plug it into a wall socket

That's it! It will show up in the list of wireless devices then you connect to it just like any other.

A couple of tips:
a. Make a note of the admin password and wireless key before step 4 (both are on the label attached to the extender)
b. If you are going to change the password, download and install the BT Device Configuration Tool which will make things easier (available from [...] )

I don't think they could have made the installation any easier if they tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast & Smooth, 14 Dec. 2013
Hawk1 "M.H" (England (London)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I have had a few wifi range extenders in the past to extend my current wifi network throughout the home but none perfomed anywhere near as this powerline extender which i have decided to invest. I have to say this has had paid off very well after more than a year struggling to get a good wifi reception in the home even using wifi extenders.

Connected instantly and very fast connection through the power line and thats only connected to power extension i believe it would be even more fast if i connect it directly to the power socket. the built in wifi hotspot is also fast and smooth due to the fact the its connected to the router/modem via power line and so always a strong connection.

No more wifi extenders for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to extend a home network, 20 Aug. 2013
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like all powerline-based products, the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 is very much a plug and play device. The 'Broadband Extender Flex' is plugged into a mains socket near to your router and your router then plugs into this via an Ethernet cable. The 'Wi-Fi Home Hotspot' plug is then connected to a separate mains socket and automatically connects to the Extender. Network devices can then connect to the Wi-Fi Home Hotspot plug either wirelessly or via one of the 2 built-in Ethernet ports, allowing these devices to have full network and internet connectivity.

Being AV500 I found the data throughput to be very fast and full stutter-free HD movie streaming of MKV files was easily possible. Even better, I noticed no degradation of network throughput when the BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 was used alongside my existing TP-Link AV300 powerline devices, so integration with these was very impressive and had no adverse effects on performance.

The BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 is a very reliable and robust way of extending network coverage using home powerlines, recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
Probably a one-off purchase for most people. Combines the ease of using Wi-Fi and 2 Ethernet ports for my downstairs area which had Wi-Fi access issues. For most modern smart TV or TV boxes, Ethernet is the best way to source your internet requirements. It is faster and more stable - so less disturbance in your TV viewing. Instructions on set-up is fairly easy. However, make sure you have correct length(s) of Ethernet cabling before you embark. I have experienced no problems in keeping this plugged in 24 hours/day. Wi-Fi for my mobile and tablet had no issues even when used in near-by rooms on the same floor. No regrets in this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat solution, 14 Dec. 2013
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I live in a large & very old house with very thick walls. I have had alot of trouble getting broadband in parts of my house so this looked like a simple & pretty cheap solution. And so it was. Easy set up straight from the box. Had it going within 10 minutes of opening it. No need to drill holes in my wall - this is a fantastic product and cheaper than getting a second box. Neat & compact. Clean & simple. Delighted !

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says, 25 May 2014
We have just moved into a 1954 house with very thick walls. We could only get a wi fi signal one room away from the router. We tried a number of booster devices without much joy. Then we found this gizmo its brilliant, hard wire the first one to the router and plug it to the wiring system. Then link as many other units as you like, we are using a total of three, two down stairs and one up stairs this gives us a full signal everywhere in the house and a reasonable distance outside. It is literally a plug and play device ready to go in seconds. There have been no problems so far with any of the units dropping out or losing signal strength. They do say you get what you pay for, whilst this is not the cheapest device I chose it because I have a BT router. I am very happy with the performance, would not hesitate to buy additional add ons.

5.0 out of 5 stars This gadget is amazing!!, 2 July 2014
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
This gadget is amazing. Takes under 5 minutes to set up - genuine plug in and play, works as a dual-LAN output (one to PS3, one to Smart Blu Ray player) and secondary wifi hotspot. I live in an old cottage with thick stone walls and this ensures that I have full coverage outside - and into the extension, which is through a 2 foot granite wall!

Only minor downside is that it's a different hotspot name so your phone/tablet will stick to the weaker wifi if it's still in range - minor niggle though for such an awesome solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 Dec. 2013
This review is from: BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit (Accessory)
I have been looking for a power line wifi extender for some time now but couldn't decide on which one . However when I saw BT were now making one I thought this should be worth a go as Im with them for my home broadband . We have a complete dead spot upstairs in our home so using tablets etc. was virtually impossible . I opened the box , read the very brief instructions , did what they told me to do and waited to be disappointed . I don't normally write reviews however I felt compelled to regarding this bit of kit , in about 2 minutes all was working and pumping out a very strong wifi signal without any problems or annoying set up issues . All I can say is that its slightly more expensive than other brands but worth every penny , BT have done a very good job !!!

BT Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 500 Kit