5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution, easy to set up
Published 15 months ago by S. Duncan

1.0 out of 5 stars Multiple electric zones?
I purchased the item as I leave in a two story old cottage with brick walls. What the specs do not tell you is that if you have multiple electric loops/zones in the house it will not work. So check you fuze box and see where you can use the device before purchase.
Published 6 months ago by Steven

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution, easy to set up, 5 Dec. 2013
S. Duncan "SED" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This powerline broadband extender is an ideal method for extending a home network without the frailties of a wireless network. It works best when used on the same circuit, but this is not an essential requirement. I have successfully set mine up to link my broadband router to two other locations in parts of the house behind old brick walls where wireless was nearly impossible to use. I have used one to connect my smart TV to the internet, the other to link the laptop we use upstairs, both to the router in another room where we have an old pc. The base unit connects directly to the router and the two paired units use the existing wired power supply to connect to the base unit and receive/send the required broadband signal. A wire then needs to be connected from the sub units to the hardware you want to connect. In our case, the smart TV and the laptop. There are no worries about a flakey wireless signal, the connection is perfect every time, allowing us to use our smart TV to download movies on Netflix or whatever system we choose. A simple and effective way to add internet ports wherever needed around the house. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good connectivity with trusted name, 28 Dec. 2013
a.k. (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nowadays there is no end to the number of connected devices in a home, and Wi-Fi is not always an option. I got these to connect my Sky boxes for On-Demand content.

I simply connected one of the units (doesn't matter which) to my router and the other to my Sky box and restarted the Sky box for it to pickup the network. All very simply.

My only negative point would be the ethernet cable is connected into the top of the adapter, rather than the bottom, and it just looks untidy and causes clutter.

5.0 out of 5 stars An odd spec, but does the job, 6 Aug. 2013
Dave M (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: BT Broadband Extender 200 Kit, Powerline Adapters (Twin Pack) (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an odd specification, especially when viewed alongside a BT Home Hub.

Basically the HH has ports which are 100Mbit and 1Gbit, but this is a 200Mbit. Just a bit odd of a mismatch, but of no significance.

Back to the set-up and performance...

Set-up is very easy, I plugged them in next to each other and, almost immediately, they recognised each other. I did a quick test using a laptop wired through the extenders and all was fine. I then unplugged one and installed at the 'remote' location (i.e. the other end of the house) and all worked well and almost immediately.

So, easy to set up; good throughput (which was limited to 100Mbit by my laptop); and they seem to be reliable.

Also, I know it says it in the spec, but I will repeat here. These do not provide wireless extension, they extend your wired connection only.....

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars This works!!!, 28 Mar. 2014
I was a liitle bit sceptical when I ordered the BT broadband extender 200 Powerline adaptors, but I installed it in a couple of minutes and it worked just fine. I am very pleased with it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Multiple electric zones?, 7 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars works a treat , fast connection, 23 April 2014
Great kit for a great price , we now have the internet in our garden room at the top of the garden (out of range for the wifi) at a really good speed

4.0 out of 5 stars More stable than wireless, easier than Ethernet, 28 July 2013
S. P. Long "Simon Long" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Broadband Extender 200 kit is a pair of HomePlug adaptors which run network signals over the power cables in your home. While most modern devices use some form of wireless networking, this isn't always a viable solution - thick walls and interference can block wireless signals, and wireless networks can struggle with high bandwidth signals such as HD video streaming. The ideal solution is to run Ethernet cables, but that can be hard work, messy and time-consuming. HomePlug provides a more solid signal than wireless, but without the need to run cables.

The kit includes two (identical) adaptors, and set-up couldn't be easier - each adaptor is the size of a largish mains adaptor, and plugs straight into a mains socket. On the top of each is an Ethernet socket (2 Ethernet cables are provided). Plug an adaptor into a socket near your router, and connect the Ethernet port on the adaptor to an Ethernet socket on your router with the supplied cable; plug the other adaptor into a socket near the device you want to network, plug the other Ethernet cable between adaptor and device. Make sure both sockets are switched on, and the Data and Ethernet lights on the adaptors will come on to show data is flowing - job done. It takes longer to write about than it does to do, and there is no set-up or fiddling with keys or addresses required. The supplied instructions are extremely clear (and very brief) - it would be hard to get it wrong!

I tested the connection between my router and my PS3 by streaming MPEG2 SD video ripped from DVDs, and it played perfectly; no glitches or dropouts. These adaptors use a lower spec version of the HomePlug standard, so they might struggle with HD video, but they are fine for SD.

You can also connect additional adaptors to expand your network - this process is a bit fiddly, as you have to hold down the button on the adaptor for 5-8 seconds (with no sign as to when that has elapsed - the instructions recommend you to use a stopwatch!) But once done, additional adaptors also worked fine, and I had a multiple-port network set up in a matter of minutes.

The only snag of these particular adaptors is that they don't pass through the mains - you lose a mains socket for each you plug in. BT also sell a more expensive version - the Extender Flex 500 - which has pass-through mains sockets and also supports a higher data rate - which might be worth considering if you are short of mains sockets.

But other than that, there's not much to fault on these adaptors - if you need a plug-and-play alternative to wireless, I recommend them highly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy set-up, 26 Dec. 2013
Marand - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have the extender kit (two adapters) plus a further extension. We live in a long stone barn conversion and there are several places where the wi-fi signal is weak to non-existent because of the thickness of the walls even though the router is centrally located. Running long ethernet cables isn't really an option for reasons of practicality and aesthetic appearance.

The basic powerline kit contains two identical plug-in adapters - one is plugged into a socket close to the router and attached to it by a short ethernet cable (supplied), the other is plugged in wherever you need to extend the signal and again is attached by supplied cable to your device. Once the adapters are switched on all you have to do is leave them alone for a few minutes whilst they find each other and that's it. The instructions are brief but as the set-up process is so simple they don't need to be anything more. The only difference when adding in a further extension, which also comes with the necessary cable, is that the second time round you have to push the 'link' button on the top of the socket. The whole process takes less than five minutes. I like that there is a powersave function which kicks in when the extender isn't in use - no need to unplug and have to re-connect later. I have seen one or two comments about how set up is fiddly if you don't have a BT router and that it isn't 'plug and play'. We have a non-BT Belkin router and the set-up was a doddle - I really cannot see why or how it could be easier if the router was supplied by BT.

UPDATE

We eventually found the speeds just too slow and searched for an alternative. We now have two wi-fi range extenders (Belkin N300) and these have provided a strong, stable connection far better than the powerline adapters. I am not sure if this says something about our wiring (vintage late 1980s) but there is no question the range extenders offer a superior connection.

4.0 out of 5 stars bt broadband extender, 24 April 2014
arrived at right time. easy to setup and works well most of the times. some times have to wait till connected to my broadband

1.0 out of 5 stars No, you can't just plug it in straight out of the pack. Another BT misery..., 30 Dec. 2014
What you don't find out, until you've bought the kit, is that the one plugged into your router has to use a mains socket, not an extension socket. As most routers are stationed near to the main computer which accesses the internet, and therefore endless devices are using extensions coming from the main socket(s), this is a chronic fault and should have been highlighted before purchase.

So...don't buy it, it's another BT device that doesn't do what it says - or omits - on the tin