5.0 out of 5 stars Just big enough for a 4" post
150mm (15cm) diameter post hole bore. A great tool, good value for money. Ideal for boring holes for a 3" post to set in concrete. Little effort required in my soil, drilled straight and true.
Published 13 months ago by Xrat

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality
Published 3 months ago by jm

5.0 out of 5 stars Just big enough for a 4" post, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
I was dubious whether the auger would be wide enough to bore a hole wide enough to set a 4" post in concrete, but it's big enough to drop a 4" post in, and by rocking the post (from corner to corner) open up the hole to accommodate the concrete (This also had the effect of squaring off the hole to present a flat surface more resistant to wind-rock.)
It managed to force it's way past stones up to about 5cm, any larger I had to reach in and lift them out of the way.
If using a wooden post, experience tells me to concrete a little above ground level to stop earth making the wood damp (if you're likely to mulch regularly leave extra room for ground level to rise) wooden posts always break where they get damp and rot just above the concrete level.

4.0 out of 5 stars DRAPER 1050 AUGER, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
Excellent packing for a brutish implement, it cuts through heavy clay well as long as you do not try to extract too much at a time. Only four stars because the crossbar/handle is not a good fit with the tee bar - it rattles around and has only one small fixing screw to lock it in - although the screw was not supplied and tempted to send it back I used two self tapping screws of a decent size to fix it. this should not be necessary but I needed to get on with the job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
Arrived promptly, not very well packaged - just a bit of flimsy cardboard over the business end, which must surely have caused some damage to other items in transit. When I came to insert the handle into the top tube, I discovered one end of the tube was severely 'burred' and I could not get the handle through without considerable force. This then left dangerous, sharp shards of metal sticking out which I cut my hands on. So I had to remove the handle and file the end down before it was useable. Not impressed with Draper, I would have thought better of them. Where's the quality control?? Also the handle is only secured in place by a small screw which tightens against the bar - there is no hole for it to screw into. I doubt this will do much given the force you would expect to put onto the handle. I haven't actually used it yet, but I hope it will do the job more easily than using a narrow spade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket., 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This auger is a monster. It is making easy work of prepping the holes for a new fence line. A must have tool if you're considering any type of fencing work.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a heavy duty tool. Some reviewers have ..., 7 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This is a heavy duty tool. Some reviewers have refered to the small retaining screw coming loose and getting lost. Not a problem for me as the handle stays in place well without a screw. If you are close to a wall or an existing fence panel, you can slide the handle to one end and turn it 180 degrees at a time. My soil is very stony, so I use it mainly for lifting the soil out of the hole after loosening it with a "garden claw" tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to get holes for POSTS, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
Brilliant !! Excellent neat holes.Good quality product but would recommend drilling a small hole in the handle and using a self- tapping screw to lock in place instead of the pressure screw provided.
Bill Ecclestone

4.0 out of 5 stars Draper fence post auger, 7 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This is a very useful tool if you are erecting fence posts
The ground I was using the tool on was heavy clay soil
I found that once through the topsoil it was best to only do between 1/2 and 1 turn on the auger pull it out and clear the clay from the cutting area if I went any further down I was unable to pull the tool out to clear it
The hole it digs is easily large enough for 4" posts I dug my holes to 80 cm back filled a wee bit with gravel placed the post and filled the hole with concrete
For a good neat hole up to 1 meter deep it is an ideal tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Draper Fence Post Auger, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This item seems to be very well made and has done the job in our garden. I was most surprised that it was packaged in such a huge box and wrapped in 23 metres of paper. One sheet of bubble wrap would have done the job!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The handle fitted in nicely with a small thumb fastened screw, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This was bought to dig out two holes for 100x100mm posts for a pergola. The box that the item came in was huge. It could have come in a box a third of the size. It was full of the air bag padding. A little bit OTT. The handle fitted in nicely with a small thumb fastened screw. As it was only hand tightened, it allowed me to move the handle mid dig to get better turning force (torque?) when things got a little tough. The ground I was digging into is solid chalk, through which this just cut without any problems. Applying greater pressure while turning the tool gave a bigger cut but light pressure just kept it turning and digging well. A normal post hold would have taken me ages with just a spade, but in a matter of minutes the hole was dug. I put Concrete-in post supports in to the holes rather than putting the wood into the ground directly. The hole was big enough to drop the posts in without the post supports if I had wanted with sufficient clearance all around for concrete. The only thing I might have done differently was to dig down further so I would have had a bigger column of cement hold the post. All in all this was a great bit of kit and dig exactly what I needed with the minimum of fuss. Not sure how it would have been if I’d hit a big stone or large piece of flint. Great product that didn’t bend while being used – solid construction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for 150 mm holes, 3 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger (DIY & Tools)
This is a useful tool for making holes for posts. It has a good screw length and the cross bar is adjustable with a grub screw so it can be adjusted if using in a confined space. My only reservation is the length of the Auger, it could be a bit longer, say about another 300-500 mm longer, When used on deeper holes say 300 mm or more then it will require kneeling down when turning the auger. It also helps if the ground is not to stony.

Draper 24414 1050mm Fence Post Auger