Although the S4 Mini is called 'mini' this is actually what most people would consider a normal sized phone, it sits well in the hand, has a good screen size and is very light. Some might find it a little too light, preferring a bit of weight to give a more premium feel.

Samsung have insisted on sticking with the plastic design found on all of the phones they make which will divide opinion, some will not be at all concerned with it, and on the smaller S4 Mini it's not as cheap feeling as the full sized S4, others will dislike it if they've used other manufacturers phones (such as the HTC One Mini) that have a more expensive finish to them.

The S4 Mini has a duel core processor and has a good looking and responsive screen which means the interface is nice and snappy and it has no problems running games, with Asphalt 8: Airborne running really smoothly and without any lag.

Surprisingly Samsung have done away with the notification light found on most Android phones, in the long run you'll get use to it not being there but it does take a bit of getting use to, especially when you want to check with a quick glance if the phone has finished charging.

The camera is OK, nothing amazing, it's fine for when you're out and about but it wouldn't be good enough to replace a dedicated camera.

Battery life is very good, you should easily be able to get through the day no problem. The battery is removable so if you want to carry a spare you can do. There is a lot to like about the S4 Mini, but if you're not sure if this is the phone for you I'd recommend checking out the alternatives: HTC One Mini Sim Free Smartphone - Silver and the Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is my second Samsung phone (I upgraded from a Galaxy S2) and I am very pleased with my purchase. Clearly, there are phones which are larger and/or more powerful. For me, however, I thought this was a great combination of a medium-sized phone that fits my hand comfortably and excellent (but not amazing) performance.

* The first thing I noticed was how fast apps run on this phone and how quickly I can transition from one app to another one. Having upgraded from the often sluggish S2, I am very pleased with the speediness of the S4.
* The phone has a microSD slot so that I could put in my 32GB card with all of the videos and music that I like to have with me. Many mid-priced to cheaper phones do not provide a microSD card slot, which to me is a waste of time.
* For me, this is the perfect size of phone. The screen is larger than the iPhone 4 or 5; the screen size is the same as the Galaxy S2 but the body is smaller than the Galaxy S2
* The screen is clear and bright
* The camera takes excellent quality photos outdoors. In fact, to reduce the amount of memory that each photo takes up, I have reduced the camera quality slightly.

There's nothing that I am unhappy with. However, some things which you might consider:
* Do you want a larger screen? Most top-end phones have significantly larger screens. I wanted something that fit my small to mid-sized hand so this works for me. If you have thick fingers, you might plump for a larger screen on which it is easier to type
* Do you want the fastest performance? This is NOT a quad core phone so if you are looking to play games which rely on lots of screen animation, this may not be the phone for you.

A very good phone for those who in particular want a mid-sized phone.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 May 2014
I was once a huge fan of Android, before moving away to the world of Windows Phone and in all honesty, I absolutely loved Windows Phone. However, I found it lacking alot of the features of Android so after only a year, I moved back and the £250 S4 Mini appeared to be the perfect choice for a user of my kind.

Alot of the alternatives I studied were absolutely huge, at 5"+ I found the size to be too big to comfortably carry around in one's pocket and the S4 mini appeared to the perfect size and it absolutely is. It's compact enough to be used in one hand and easily carried about, but that doesn't mean screen functionality is compromise and it's worth remembering that the screen is still slightly bigger than the flagship Apple phone, iPhone 5S.

At a smaller size and cheaper prise, the specs have been compromised slightly, but nothing too drastically. With 1.5GB ram, the phone is still completely fantastic for a power user like myself.

I can't recommend the S4 mini enough as a great alternative to some of the much bigger and flashy smartphones. Great job Samsung, I think you've just kick started my love affair with Android once again!
on 3 August 2013
I upgraded from a Samsung S2 to this. Do not be fooled into thinking just because this phone is called a mini it is inferior to its bigger brother the S4. Yes there are a few features missing but it more than makes up for it for the features that are included.
Like the S4 it has smart screen features and also has S Translator which can come in handy.
The screen is very sharp and the clarity when viewing photos is superb. When you use the Facebook app again it is crystal clear.
You can even personalize this phone to suit your every need such as font size, font style, screen lay out. You can even mute the phone just by covering it with your hand which is a great feature.
For a phone that is supposed to be a mini it certainly lives up to much more than that. I am very pleased with this phone so far and have only had it two days.
If there is one criticism then it must be when you use your phone for web browsing then you do have to zoom in to read text, but I had to do this on my S2 as well.
I am a male and I have average size hands but the size of the phone does not pose a problem to me either
I fully recommend this phone for anyone who can not afford the full S4, you will not be disappointed. I have it in white and it makes a change from having a phone in black and looks quite sharp and sleek in the white too.
I hope my review helps you in choosing the right phone. Thanks for reading.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2014
If you need a phone and you don't want something the size of a small tablet, this could be the phone for you. Easy to set up (even I could do it without help!). The Samsung menus are easy on the eye and very intuitive and the build quality is very good as, we have come to expect from Samsung. If you leave everything switched on the battery will get you through the day but turning off any unused functions improves the battery life considerably. Pictures taken with the camera seem bright and clear.
The phone is unlocked and there were no problems with it working on my network (Tesco Mobile) and buying the phone sim free allowed me to find the best sim only deals.
The phone arrived on time and intact with a standard UK charger and a half decent set of inner-ear, noise cancelling headphones in the box. So much better than the ones supplied with other fruit based alternatives. The only issue I had was that the boxed phone was only in a Jiffy Bag which I thought wasn't sufficient protection for an item that is worth over £250 in todays postal system. You will need to acquire a microSD card to expand the memory (that's something else you can't do with the Iphone) although the phone itself has enough to get started.
All in all the S4 mini is hard to fault. A very good mid range phone with stunning looks and easy use.
on 10 January 2014
Replaceable battery
Micro SD card
Perfect proportions
Decent smartphone battery life
Great camera
Android Jelly Bean
Swift and smooth operator

Screen not HD (guess what? It doesn't matter.)
on 3 May 2014
I have to agree with a lot of the reviews here. The phone is great, compact, full of features you would find the S3 with a little bit more. It does not have the full features of the S4 which is fine. Battery life is fairly standard. You can get about a full days use or use a battery saving app which gives you more than a day. Sound quality is good as well

The bad
As most people pointed out, there is clearly a network selection problem with this phone. I thought i would be one of the lucky ones but that didnt happen. To clarify, you can leave the phone on stand by and next time you pick it up it says your network is unavailable (even though it was a few minutes ago). This happens to me about twice a week. It is easy to fix this. Restart the phone (long process) or manually choose your network in the mobile data settings and it sorts itself out......for a while. If you go abroad you will need to manually choose the network you are compatible with. This took me about 20mins to find the right network.

Other than that, this is like a mini s3. I would recommend if you have the s3 and you are looking for a smaller option to either go for the s3 mini or wait for the s5 mini which im guessing would be released soon. Other than that, the phone is a good one and if you dont mind the issue highlighted above, then go for it
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2015
Neat little phone with all the features I wanted, plus some I'll probably never use! The main camera is excellent quality, has a LED flash, an idiot proof auto setting plus a whole bunch of tweeks for the amateur photographer. The anti-shake function works well for me as at age 70 my hands aren't that steady. The second, front-facing camera makes self videos a doddle. I loaded all my favourite albums onto the memory card and it even plays the music videos that wouldn't play on my old phone and when the device is turned sideways the image rotates into widescreen view. The FM radio is sensitive and crystal clear, but only works with head or ear phones plugged in as the lead acts as the aerial. Reading e-books is comfortable: I downloaded a Bible app from Google Play with a couple of versions of the Bible. It all works really smoothly - any passage can be found by name, chapter and verse, words or phrases can be searched (as with a concordance) and favourite bits can be highlighted in different colours. With the UK NIV version you also have David Suchet reading the selected passage. Of course it also has GPS with Google maps. Security-wise, the phone can be set to 'none' with just a screen swipe to wake it up; or PIN or pattern recognition; or face or face plus voice recognition with PIN as backup. I found that face recognition with PIN backup works best for me. The only con I've found is that the battery life isn't fantastic - if you do a fair bit of surfing or reading, you'll probably have to put it on charge every night. It's the screen that uses a lot of power, but it can be set to go off with a quick press of the power button, and it can be set to go off when playing music too. All in all an excellent small sized smart phone.
on 8 August 2014
Bought for my wife. I have been an iPhone user for 4 years but actually opted for a Galaxy S5 when I upgraded ... after I used my wife's S4 Mini! Really great phone. She loves it. We deleted a lot of the Samsung apps as they got in the way. Recently added a 64GB SD card to boost the memory (the internal 8GB soon gets filled with photos and apps, especially when you've got 2 young kids).

I highly recommend this phone, and the Galaxy S5. As will all Android phones they need a little more set up time than an iPhone but after that little bit of investment I think these are better than the iPhone.
on 18 January 2015
I already had the same mobile telephone and wanted this to be a 'spare' just in case I have a problem with my first mobile. I bought it now because the S4 Mini has been replaced with a newer model and the price has come down quite a lot from when I bought one last year. Personally I like this size better than the larger variant as I can put into a normal pocket and do not perform that much on the Internet. I have set it up the same as my first mobile and swap them over periodically so I will use them both over time.