4.0 out of 5 stars Good interpretations, 28 Sept. 2013
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano (Audio CD)
I like these interpretations. I was rather dubious about the piano/violin combination, but for me it works well here. It's an interesting perspective and in places is very beautiful.

Both Michelle Makarski and Keith Jarrett are very good musicians who have an excellent sense of what Bach's music is about. That essential rhythmic pulse is there when needed and although Makarski is a little freer with the vibrato and rubato than I would like in places, it's by no means excessive and both she and Jarrett judge ornamentation very well. They combine together with great precision and the effect is often very engaging, but I did find that they seem oddly disengaged from each other in places. Perhaps it's just me, but in the Largo of the G major Sonata, for example, there somehow seems to be a sense of two instruments being played perfectly in tune and time but almost in separate worlds. I can't quite put my finger on why and you may disagree, but it does disconcert me from time to time in these discs.

Small personal feelings aside, this is a good recording of these fine works and one I'm glad to have. Obviously, this set is very suitable if you'd like to hear the sonatas well played on piano and violin. I have three treasured recordings for violin and harpsichord which won't be superseded in my affections by this set, but I would still recommend it as a set of often interesting and enjoyable performances.

(For a violin and harpsichord recording, I'd probably recommend Rachel Podger and Trevor Pinnock Bach: Complete Sonatas for Violin and Obbligato Harpsichord /Podger · Pinnock, but I also love the recordings by Andrew Manze and Richard Egarr Bach: Violin Sonatas and by Viktoria Mullova and Ottavio Dantone Bach - Violin Sonatas.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz pianist plays Bach - Brilliant!, 19 Oct. 2013
Mark Shackelford "mark shackelford" (Worthing, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano (Audio CD)
I have come across a couple of previous jazzers playing Bach (the Modern Jazz Quartet, and also several Bach-like tracks by E.S.T.), but this (recommended by Amazon because I have several Jarrett CDs) was a wonderful surprise.

This is a classical CD, played with consummate skill by Mr. Jarrett and a brilliant violinist, Michelle Makarski.

Bach as it perhaps should be played, (OK, it's on a piano, but maybe Bach wrote this for keyboard - not specifically the harpsichord), not TOO much heavy-duty classically imposed rigour, but a lightness of touch by a pianist who, as I now realise is a brilliant classical pianist, but who has several decades of the most beautiful jazz piano behind him.

Crisp recording by ECM, terrific interplay between the two players, bringing Bach's wonderfully mathematical musical spirals into focus, and the two instruments swirl and slide through these gorgeous sonatas.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith Jarrett plays Bach, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano (Audio CD)
In my ignorance I only knew Keith Jarrett as a jazz pianist. This 2CD set is a revelation...the violin and piano perfectly complementing each other and serving Bach as he deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly sensitive rendition, 29 Dec. 2014
Deep Reader - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano (Audio CD)
I love this record. The partnership between pianist and violinist seems telepathic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Aug. 2014
very good

J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano
J.S. Bach: Six Sonatas for Violin and Piano by Johann Sebastian Bach (Audio CD - 2013)