5.0 out of 5 stars great buy
Published 7 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Run a mile.
You know how, when house hunting, you see something on paper that appears perfect in all regards - and then when you actually see it for real you can't believe how disappointed you are? Something similar happens with online dating. Apparently. Well, meet TomTom.

Published 5 months ago by M. Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 15 Jan 2014
Its an excellent piece of kit. It is my first time owning one of these devices even though I've been running for years. The functionality is perfect, the GPS signal kicks in quickly, its easy to use and the large display means I can see what I need to when I'm running despite my poor eyesight. Its slim and feels like a real watch rather than a piece of equipment I need to strap onto myself when I head out the door. The real benefit of purchasing a watch like this is the ability to use sites like mapmyrun to their full extent, it is such a motivational tool being able to keep track of your runs. I've discovered levels of motivation in myself that I haven't had since I started running over fifteen years ago. I can't reccommend this device enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend this watch highly enough, 17 Jan 2014
This GPS watch works perfectly and is exactly I need to help me train to run a marathon. I spent a lot of time looking up reviews of other GPS and heart rate monitor watches on the market before I decided to take a risk with the TomTom runner. Living in Finland, my main worry was the time I would have to stand outside waiting to get gps reception, as almost every gps watch has a few reviews claiming that they can take upto 10 minutes to connect! This may not be a problem for some, but in Finland it can be -15 when i start my run so standing still outside is not ideal! However, I didn't need to be worried because it takes the TomTom runner watch on average between 10 to 15 seconds to connect to a satellite and then I am ready to go. Of course, this will vary depending on your location etc, but TomTom have a feature that it downloads updates to your watch every time you connect the watch to a computer which makes it faster and easier for the watch to find a gps signal.

Once I am ready to start my run it is easy to set up different notifications or running programs on the watch. For example, I usually run so that the watch vibrates and beeps every km, showing my time. The option to set it so that it vibrates is particularly handy, as I like to listen to music during my runs and would not be able to hear the simple beep that most other watches give. I have also found that the current pace is stable and accurate, being almost identical during the lap to the time given at the end of it.

What I particularly like about the watch is the easy and modern interface. There are four buttons below the watch which let you navigate through a set of menus (up or down to change the selection, right to select, left to go back). This will be very familiar anyone who own a mobile phone and gives the watch a much more modern interface than some of its main competitors. It makes it easy and simple to use, taking seconds to program a workout and start running. It is also quite a clever design because the gps receiver is within the buttons below the screen. This means that the watch has a slim profile and is not as bulky as some of the competitors. It also means that the gps receiver is always pointing up when running.

Many people might say to avoid this product, as it is relatively new to the market and hasn't been tried and tested like the Garmin watches. However, I think that this is a positive because TomTom is entering quite a crowded and competitive market, which has meant that TomTom have clearly done their homework and seem to be committed to this product. If you look online at popular review sites it is not uncommon for TomTom representatives to actively reply to feedback and provide support, which is quite rare. Also, as the watch is a new product TomTom are continuously making major function improvements and additions, which is also relatively rare. For example, many early reviews of the product criticised the fact that if you press back twice accidentally then it cancels your run. TomTom listened to this feedback and released a free update that means that you can now change the settings so that you have to hold the back button twice for three seconds to cancel the run, meaning that accidental cancellations are no longer a problem. TomTom have also given a roadmap of how they will develop the watch and bring new updates in the future that will only make the watch better: [...]. This means that a watch that I think is already great is only going to get better!

If you are thinking of investing in a gps watch I cannot recommend this watch highly enough. The only criticism that I could come up with is that the tomtom website that you upload your data to is quite basic. However, this really isn't a problem because you can download your run information in a variety of file formats and use any of the numerous sites on the internet to track your progress, such as myasics or mapmyrun. TomTom have also said that they will be updating and improving its website, and if you are only interested in the basic information then it is sufficient (time, distance, lap times, heart rate etc).

Buy this watch and you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars great piece of running kit, 31 Jan 2014
Excellent running gps, easy to use, long battery life and updating info looks great on the pc. Highly recommend for all running types.

2.0 out of 5 stars Run a mile., 14 Mar 2014
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

There are some technology challenges that generations of products seem incapable of solving. And anything deployed around the wrist seems to be one of them. You'll no doubt in your time have owned a digital watch the numerous buttons of which you have pressed randomly until the right thing finally flashed, or damn well stopped flashing. They never became intuitive. And neither have gps running watches. Every one I have ever owned or seen has been a misery to use.

TomTom appeared to have bucked the trend. As a glasses wearer who prefers not to be when running, I was attracted to this watch's nice clear display. This is enhanced by a brilliant backlight. With this watch you can run in the dark, and know how you are doing - even if your eyesight makes this activity perilous. It also has a nice simple four point navigation button, which contains the satellite receiver, and forms the top part of the strap. Odd, but actually quite good - and means there is no bulky USB port in the watch it itself (it comes out of the strap and docks into a separate device for charging and uploading). The whole thing looks so attractive you could wear it as a watch.

Except to do so would be a constant reminder of how annoying this thing is in almost every other regard.

As soon as you end your run, the big display vanishes into a tiny summary screen. Actually it disappears into a mysterious, and tiny circular counter. You find yourself having to hold pause for several seconds, and then the back button repeatedly, to get the damn thing to stop for good. Once back in the home screen however you'll need to grope for your glasses to access the minutely displayed overall run details.

Or of course you can upload the data to the web site. But oh dear. That's when you can't believe how 150 and a premium brand name can buy you so little. The web interface is attractive enough, but has next to no information - just route (which you'd expect), elevation, and hilariously wayward pace information. You might have run at, say, a steady 7.30 pace, but this watch believes you were a demented human yo-yo varying in pace between 5 and 10 minute minute miles in the space of a few metres.

The terrible web site may be a deliberate and cyncial ploy: when it opens it simultenously offers another site called MapMyfitness, which is a third party site that also offers next to nothing (though it does have some very inaccurate splits data) but asks you to pay a subscription to access something supposedly less useless, but totally unspecified.

The TomTom does have some training aids built in. You wont work these out from the watch itself or from the instructions, which could be printed on a postage stamp - and in fact pretty much are. But if you go to the website you can download some instructions which at least dangle the hope of greater functionality. One seemingly neat training aid is the ability to set a target pace range. When running in the range you get a bull's eye, and when outside it, it bleeps. Supposedly. But since TomTom don't seem to think accurate data is that important to a runner, it doesn't actually work.

There was recently an update which means you can now pair the watch with an iphone app. Sort of fun, except it gives you no more than the terrible web site. Updates have another intriguing side effect however: they often change the settings on the watch, without you knowing it - well, not until you've begun running and can't work out what the hell is going on.

Such is my lack of faith in this device I have actually gone to the lengths of checking that the basic data of time, distance and (since it is the product of time divided by distance) overall average pace, are accurate. Happily I can report they are. That's enough to prevent me from abandoning it. But only until someone works out how to make a wrist based device that is a joy to use.

Anyone know if Jony Ive likes running?

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the basics very well!, 10 Mar 2014
I have been using this watch for a few months now....and I can honestly say I am not disappointed. I have used garmin forerunner 205 and Motorola motoactv in the past, but this is now my watch of choice for several reasons.
1) the latest update allows you to sync your workouts over Bluetooth via iPAD.
2) ...which in turn updates the watch with quick GPS.... Which is fantastic - just timed it at 17 seconds...as opposed to minutes on other devices. Note, if you can not connect to ipad or PC every few days you loose Quick GPS, in which case it takes as long or even longer than other devices.
3) It is very easy to use. This comes at the expense of some of the more technical features of other devices, but to be honest if you just want to know basic info, it is a fair trade off. Recent updates have include some essential functions, e.g. A stopwatch!
4) syncs effortlessly via iPAD through TomTom website to mapmyrun.

Summary, at first I thought this watch was a bit pricey considering it misses some of the features I like on my other devices (music / basic mapping / split breakdown during or even after run...although you can view this once uploaded / sync to cloud over wifi, without need of PC or tablet). However, I have grown to appreciate that what it does, it does well and intuitively. I would recommend this product!

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointed :(, 8 Mar 2014
Really good looking watch but very basic functions. Can't check your runs on the watch, have to upload them and when you do it doesn't break down your minute/mile splits. It just shows av pace for whole run. I returned it and purchased the Nike Tomtom watch which isn't as cool looking but far superior. Step it up Tomtom or don't bother trying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great GPS watch, 8 Feb 2014
This watch was bought for me as a birthday present and I have found it to great at giving me info on the run. Other watches I have tried are too small to read but this one has nice big numbers with a great backlight. A couple of features that dissapointed me were the virtual partner which you can't set a target time for and the Lap feature which you can't use the backlight with.

2.0 out of 5 stars Certainly quick to lock onto a GPS signal...but is it the right one?, 6 Jun 2014
I bought this because I was fed up getting soaked in the rain for up to 5 minutes, waiting for my trusty old Forerunner 305 to locate the GPS.

My findings are as follows:

LIKES:

1. Docking/charging device - simple USB, no issues, stands quite nicely on shelf in front of PC.

2. Watch - very smart and comfortable, looks cool, light and much less bulky than my 305.

3. Main display - large and clear. Back light is very nice.

4. Signal - GPS located within 2 seconds - however....

DISLIKES:

1. Unbelievably poor GPS accuracy. The TomTom software I downloaded was for the UK and the watch was charged for 8 hours before I wore it. The watch gave me the 'Go' so off I went on an accurately measured path/road route of 2.6 miles. Within 0.5 miles I knew the readout from this watch was way, way off. At the end the watch returned 3.5 miles and a pace of 8:30 min/mile - completely unrealistic for me (currently recovering from long illness, current pace 11:30 min/mile) and of course, factually incorrect. I hasten to add there were no buildings or woods/trees along my route, which was a loop along country lanes and 2 roads, with no significant elevation/descents.

2. Controls - bizarre. Why on earth can't TomTom put a simple start/stop button somewhere more prominent like Garmin do, set well apart from the other buttons, to avoid having to worry about ensuring the correct button of 4 small buttons surrounding the GPS panel is pushed at the end of an exhausting run?

3. The time and date shown were incorrect throughout. I had no idea how to change these as the instruction manual contains only 4 tiny pages, none of which covered this. I have since found out I needed to refer to the online manual for this basic information - why?

I can't comment on the online site referred to (negatively) in other reviews for uploading my (inaccurate) data, as I'd far rather trust my existing Excel spreadsheet to log and retain this.

In summary, I am really disappointed with this product and the 2 stars I have given this are for the less important features - in terms of performance I'd give it zero. If TomTom can sort out the accuracy of the GPS and I read a number of positive reviews about the improvement then I might be persuaded to repurchase at a later date. Until then, I've returned the watch and echo similar negative comments made here - run a mile (or in this case 1.3). I now leave my Forerunner out in the sun/rain to lock onto the satellites before I go out, the watch is ready to go when I am and continues to be totally reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes, 5 July 2014
I love this watch. It is slim and light enough to be my everyday watch, gives me clear and instant feedback on my runs ( unlike my previous GPS watch which could only tell me calories burned after the run) and looks stylish. The charge holds for ages- I rarely have to charge it more than once a week, with 3 runs and wearing it every day. I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, easy to use, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: TomTom Runner GPS Watch - Dark Pink (Electronics)
Does everything I wanted it to do and was really easy to use. Once set up, it's a couple of clicks and you're ready. Picks up GPS very quickly and keeps the link, unlike my phone apps which drop it half way round the route! Used it hill walking as well and battery lasts several hours. Definitely recommend

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›