5.0 out of 5 stars A Chefs Chef Masterfull, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
Bruno Loubet's new book, Mange Tout, was the inspiration. And a delightful and inspirational collection it is, I have been waiting many years after his last publication (Bistro Bruno cooking from Odean and beforehand Chicken)

The starting point with Bruno is the south west of France well Gascony to be exact like many other great French Chefs.

Coming from within the Bordeaux region, Loubet is absolutely an omnivore.

The south west of France is, after all, the home of duck confit and foie gras. Vegetarianism is not high in the menu.

Although I have been well informed that Bruno's new restaurant (which I hope to visit when I am in Bleighty) gives a much greater prominence to vegetables, and I like Grain as a name or is it to be a brand?

However, back to this book.

It didn't take much of a browse before I saw dishes that I wanted to try.

Mackerel with salted and compressed watermelon and a lime mayonnaise is one that most certainly will be done, to give but a single example.

And then there's lobster with mango - another pairing that you know, instantly, work superbly.

Here are some other great creations: Just great clean & simple pairings

Salmon confit with asparagus, new potatoes and a green gazpacho

Of course, it's enormously seasonal - and seriously worships the produce.

The salmon is confited in olive oil - and works wonderfully - while the new potatoes and asparagus are cooked as you would expect the green gazpacho, which includes avocado, spring onion, green pepper, green chilli, olive oil, basil and mint is a wonderful sauce - and a delightfully fragrant salsa it is too, with just a little kick.

You will require a cook's thermometer to maintain the temperature of the oil - to keep the gauge steady at 50-55˚C, but it would be difficult to completely muck this up.

Bruno concludes the recipe by saying that he garnishes with whatever herbs are available.

Next up rhubarb Clerkenwell mess - which I have actually eaten at Zetters Hotel, Bistrot Bruno Loubet in...? well, err, Clerkenwell.

The mess is made with meringue, a rhubarb jelly and a rhubarb compot, and while the compote is really quite sweet, having been cooked very briskly, with plenty of sugar and also orange juice, the addition of pink grapefruit segments keeps the whole thing very nicely balanced.

When ever I see or hear the words `mange tout' I cannot without thinking of Del Boy's glorious mis-pronounciation in an effort to impress in Only Fools and Horses.

Bruno's new book has serious elements of fusion cookery, (no not that poorly executed mid 90s confusion mix & match kinda stuff) I mean they do not seem to be there for the sake of it.

They're subtle and seriously considered - not just some excuse to combine a random series of ingredients.

On the basis of what I have cooked from the book, the instructions are clear, but you should assume a certain level of knowledge.

Bruno's food is wonderful - and that's exactly why I pre-ordered this book some six months ago, A great advantage from Amazon.

Suffice it to say that Raymond Blanc rates Bruno very highly (He worked Under Him and Also Pierre Koffmann).

I would say that if you buy just one cookery book this year, you won't go far wrong with this one Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 16 July 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
What an exciting cook book! I am gradually working my way through the recipes which are easy to follow with
lovely photography. There is lots of variety throughout and helpful tips from Bruno. My culinary expertise has
definitely gone up a notch! A "must have". Susan Scott Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhhmazing - Love it!!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
I am so enjoying this book. I have cooked at least three dishes since getting it and I love the the simplicity, easy to follow steps. My favourite is "Bruno's tips" definitely very useful tips. I intend to try out as many dishes as I possibly can. So far all my guests have flicked through the book and think it is awesome how it's written and the photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Cook Book, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
What a delight this book is. I love French food but in recent years there have been very few French cook books that inspired. This is refreshingly so with contemporary dishes, easy to follow recipes and gorgeous photography. I made the sweet soy beef cheeks with mango and herb salad which was a HUGE hit, the Goats cheese and soft greens quiche and the grilled marinated quail with quinoa also worked out really well and were delicious, even if I do say so myself. I'm now actually looking forward to autumn when I can have a go at some of the yummy sounding game recipes.

This is my best cook book I have purchased in the last year or two. I love Ottolenghi's books but I find myself looking at the pictures more than following the recipes as the cost of just the herbs in each, nearly breaks the bank. Bruno Loubet's recipes seem to be a little more attainable without compromising on delicious results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something different, 24 July 2013
Bob Harrison (Foston, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
There are many fresh ideas in this beautiful book, well enough written and illustrated to keep one engaged and some brilliant dishes that work really well in execution. We particularly like his puddings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
Mange Tout is without exception the most exciting cookbook I've read in years. I can't wait to work my way through it, I don't think ill skip a single page

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookbook, 10 Jun 2013
zuriga (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
A good cookbook for modern French bistro fare. It's a bit complicated at times, but a good cook
will enjoy the recipes, which are very diverse and interesting. Loubet's beetroot ravioli is truly spectacular.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mange Tout (Kindle Edition)
Just a perfect food book! Recipes are easy to follow and plenty of healthy ways to cook your veggies. Loubet rules!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook like a Master Chef!, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
I have poured through my copy of Mange Tout and tried several of the recipes. The photography is beautiful, the recipes are easy to follow, and the results are superb. A great reference book to have if you want to wow your friends at your next dinner party. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook Book in a longtime, 14 July 2013
This review is from: Mange Tout (Hardcover)
Just bought this book last week. I have to say its one of the most interesting and satisfying cook books I've purchased in some time. The photography is second to none and the bolognese recipe is amazing! Must buy!

Mange Tout