5.0 out of 5 stars The best nightmare ever
Published on 26 Jun 2012 by Jogger

2.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare containing errors
I had high hopes when I begun to read this book. I figured the author was someone who would have gone over facts
and making sure everything was right over and over again before publishing.

Instead I find many small errors which in total make a bad impression.

Published on 20 July 2012 by Maria

2.0 out of 5 stars A nightmare containing errors, 20 July 2012
and making sure everything was right over and over again before publishing.

Instead I find many small errors which in total make a bad impression.

For example his son is called "Damien" all through the book but his real name is Dashiel and
the last name is not Furnier as the book says but Cooper.

Titles from the last album Welcome 2 My Nightmare are wrongly spelled.
"The Last Man" is "Last Man On Earth" and "Disco Bloodbath" is "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever".

What makes this frustrating is that in the end of the book there is a discography and it would be
so easy just to check and see that it's right.

If you want to read about Alice Cooper's life I would recommend to skip this and instead read
his own book Alice Cooper, Golf Monster.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best nightmare ever, 26 Jun 2012
Author Thompson is a serial Glam historian - on my own shelves, I see books about Bowie, Sweet, Sparks and Glam in general, and there are probably more. It was probably inevitable that he would turn his attention to Alice at some point, but what I especially enjoyed was the manner in which he teases tease out a story that separates the original Cooper group from everything that history now associates with Glam Rock, at the same time as confirming both their right, and that of the later solo Cooper, to forever stand up and be counted.

It's a breathless story that admits from the outset that it has no interest in Cooper's personal life (and generally sticks to that). This is the story of the legend, the myth, the monster. Written with what my old English prof called "caffeinated enthusiasm" but never descending into hyperbole or blather, apocrypha and black humour abound, with the band's most outrageous lies and press stunts given the same coverage and respect as the things that "really" happened. And not only their own; one of my favorite sequences discusses a Melody Maker concert review that suggested Alice had just been killed onstage by his own theatrical arsenal. Recounted with deadpan disbelief, the outpouring of reader horror and shock that followed is as much a part of Alice's story as any event he personally orchestrated.

Neither does the story loses momentum once the big hits have dried up and Alice lurched into the half-life of his late 1970s-1980s output; musician interviews and the writer's own eye for detail all bring to life records that some readers may not even have heard before, while the recent years are painted in such glowing detail that one could easily believe that it's 1972 once again, and school is about to be out forever. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting - in parts - but flawed, 2 Jan 2014
Got this for Christmas. Have recently had an Alice remembrance and found the book interesting, especially at the beginning. However after a while when every quote seems to have a source you start wondering where all the exclusive interview content is. Also there are many silly editing errors people and events with different names, or spellings, on the same page; facts that reappear after a few pages as though just being introduced. There are some events/facts that are boldly stated with no extra detail so you have to look them up elsewhere to get the flesh on the bones. So, all in all some interesting stuff I didn't know but the book could be shorter, better edited and more supporting details of what actually went on.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointment, 19 Sep 2013
Not really worth of reading if you knew Alice before. Suitable maybe for the young. Would have needed more about the music and lyrics or Alice the private person. And much less about the "shock" value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, 29 May 2013
As a great fan of the original Alice Cooper Group I stil learnt a lot from this excellent book, especially about Alice's early family life which I found fascinating.

It does a great job of objectively charting the original group's rise and fall and is essential reading for any Alice fan, but particularly those that prefer the original group circa 68-74. Buy this and Alice's 'Golf Monster' autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE COOP :), 7 May 2013
a must for any alice fan good pics
up to date 2012 hard to put down good read and pics :)

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable, 17 Oct 2012
I really enjoyed this, if you want to read about Alice himself you might be better reading his golf monster book, but if you want to read about the Alice cooper band (before he hijacked the name for himself) then this is a must read it's all in here from the band members early days, signing to Frank Zappa's straight label right through to the original bands break up in 74'. we then move on to Alice as a solo artist from welcome to my nightmare in 75' through the forgotten albums and the lost years of the early 80s to the full blown comeback in 1986, right up to the present day, this is a cracking book, my only gripes are the lack of info about his touring band members as the likes of Ken mary, Jonathan mover, Jimmy degrasso Derek sherinian, Pete friesen and Damon johnson etc etc don't get a mention at all (i know it's about Alice but if you mention a tour why not name who played on it) and also the latter albums from Brutal planet to welcome 2 my nightmare just seem to get brushed over in a few pages, other than that this is a cracking read and is a great addition to anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 12 Dec 2012
This is a Christmas gift, looks interesting will review ago after Christmas, this was on a wish list so I think it will be ok

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring., 26 Sep 2012
I actually thought it would be something I'd enjoy reading.I was wrong.It's not like other such books I've read.To me it's like a school text book teaching the reader about the subject.
I'm roughly half way through it but probably won't finish reading it because I'm bored out of my skull with it.