5.0 out of 5 stars Get Shpongled Again :-)
Published 20 months ago by the main man

3.0 out of 5 stars not their best, this is more a 'chill out' session
Published 12 months ago by S. C. Clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Shpongled Again :-), 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Museum of Consciousness (MP3 Download)
A new Shpongle album is always welcome and Museums Of Consciousness definitely delivers 5 star Shpongle quality. Interesting that to me Museums Of Consciousness has a lot of Hallucinogen type feel about it. More mellow than Hallucinogen but still structurally a lot of similarity -lots of layers of sounds, twisting together, deviating and evolving beats are part of the melody, melody becomes the rhythm - its a great adventure to listen to it.
I find it does not quite reach the highest of high peaks of musical awesomeness that my favourite Shpongle 'Tales Of The Inexpressible' does, but then,that album is really a one off work of pure creative genius right up there with the greatest of greats, besides its early days yet, lots of repeat listens to look forward to.
Anyway If you like Shpongle (or Hallucinogen) don't think twice - you will love Museums Of Consciousness.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Flows..., 9 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Museum of Consciousness (MP3 Download)
...from Tales of the Inexpressible like the two albums were made back to back when listened to one after the other. 'Flute Fruit" seems to merge into 'Brain in a Fishtank' as if it were a natural progression of the other. And I have no doubt they are. These tracks have a very similar feel to Shpongle's 2nd (and my favorite) album. This is great music. Heady stuff. Music made only the way Shpongle can do it. I love this group and have to have anything they release.

But there's a 'but'. I'd call myself one of the band's biggest fans and I know I may get some flack for this, but I have to say this. I don't find MoC overly memorable. But that's not necessarily a bad thing and that's my take. While I find Tales and its tracks to be amazingly memorable, MoC seems more like B-sides that were recorded around the same time and then refreshed for a new album release. I have a hard time seeing how it is an evolution from the previous two albums. I immediately fell in love with Shpongle's first two albums and the other tracks they released around that time. Nothing Lasts and Ineffable took a bit longer to sink in, but they did eventually, and I now appreciate them for the genius that they are. Perhaps MoC will do the same, but I've been listening to it for weeks now and while I like it, it hasn't become something integral yet. Perhaps because the songs seem blur together and that I can't remember them again until the next listen. I don't know, this could just be my perception, but like objects in a museum, it's contents - while great - seem more muted. Quieter.

The bottom line is that Shpongle fans shouldn't be disappointed with this release. Its elements may not be overly memorable taken on track-by-track basis, but on the whole it is dripping with Shponglese goodness. The audio quality and musicianship is superb. The songs may blend together, but depending on how you listen to it, that may not be a bad thing. I still would recommend listening first to Are You Shpongled and Tales of the Inexpressible for newcomers to this group, but Museum of Consciousness is a welcome addition to the Shpongle multiverse. 4.5 starry stars.

~ Kort

3.0 out of 5 stars not their best, this is more a 'chill out' session, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
They should have presented this record as their 'chill out' album, maybe I would have felt and approached it differently. This record has no ups or downs it's totally mellow, so nice for late at night or early in the morning with a book or 'something else' in the bath or on the couch. So, if you want a totally ambient chill out album, this might be the one for you. If you fancy some up beat and quirky Shpongle than I recommend you buy another album. I personally do miss their quirky ethnic sound. Still, looking forward to their next offering though..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 19 April 2014
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
Brilliant and unusual. More accessible than some Shpongle albums, no less excellent despite less going on through each track. Excellent chill-out music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soothingly Familiar, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
I was pleased to find this album as I have been a Shpongle fan for some time now, and had no unrealistic expectations about it. Yes, it is similar in tone and content to previous albums with nothing too out of the extraordinary, but I don't mind that as I always enjoy listening to Shpongle. If you are looking for something earth-shatteringly different, this isn't it, but if you just want a good dose of Shpongle, it's a nice add to the collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually really like this one., 14 Mar. 2014
Johnnies (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
Been a Shpongle fan from the very beginning so have all the albums. I saw a lot of people not overly impressed with this album so I approached with no expectation. I really like the album. I like the somewhat upbeat nature of it and I find the songs solid and "back to business". I know that dance trance is not really what Shpongle is about but I liked the honesty of this one. It just says "Hello...here's some tunes" without trying too hard. It feels better. The last album I felt did try to hard and though technically good vibe was it wasn't there so much. This is not a criticism...catching vibes is like bottling lightning...it can't be forced.....just a time and a place man....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 12 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
Best Shpongle album yet for me and my missus anyway, thoroughly recommended.

Also, if you get a chance to see them live, go for it - they're awesome :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
I would recommend this c.d to all of my friends. This album is as good as past albums and hasn't disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars The long awaited sequel to their second album, 15 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
In the last years there has not been a passing month without me listening to my Shpongle collection. I have always thought Are You Shpongled? was a successful experiment, Tales was a masterpiece, while Nothing was too fragmented and Mysteries not at all memorable. This however, as previous reviewers commented, is the natural successor to Tales. What it lacks in musical brilliance it compensates in production quality. Also it flows much smoother and you won't really notice you're near the end until maybe the second to last track.
This is good. If you like Shpongle you'll love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shpongle just keep getting better!, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Museum Of Consciousness (Audio CD)
I have - and love - all the Shpongle albums and saw them play live again last night. They just keeping getting better. Don't bother reading any more reviews, if you are reading this you must know them. Just buy it!

Museum of Consciousness