5.0 out of 5 stars First Wolfenstein had nothing on this.
This game seemed to be stirring some good comments and reviews but I wasn't going to get it. That was until watching XBOXAHOY's video titled "The weapons of Wolfesntein: the new order" who pretty much sold the game to me. Haven't watched it? You should.

Published 2 months ago by CriticalThinker

3.0 out of 5 stars Average game, is this what we should be expecting?
This game is distinctly average. I'd be curious to know the comparison between Xbox360 and XboxOne, but my review is based on the 360 version only. (and I'd expect the XboxOne version to be much better, and would be worried if it wasn't)

Published 26 days ago by Too Old To Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Average game, is this what we should be expecting?, 26 July 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

The game comes with 4 discs and so far I'm at the 3rd disc. The game is big, but unfortunately with the "install" method the game is constantly reading from the disc. Not great for two reasons: 1) The 360 makes a racket when reading (GTAv I'm looking at you too).2) there are areas of the game that are designed for stealth which includes some of your support whispering messages over the radio - great when you can't hear anything over the drive noise.
Also, must of the game is set in almost complete darkness. Ideal you might think for approaching all ninja-style. Be warned! just because you can't see in complete darkness don't assume that the enemies can't. They have what seems like perfect vision (even seeing through concrete walls????) yes sneak about, but don't expect that this method will last, once they spot you just go gung-ho, don't bother re-starting at the last checkpoint it will just frustrate you. (avoiding spoilers). I'm sneaking around an underground train station, lots of dark areas/shadows/etc, perfect for being sneaky, but no, I may as well just move through lit areas for all the difference darkness makes (i.e. none).

If you enjoyed previous Wolfenstein games then this has a familiar feel (although I wouldn't rate has any better than the last one - which was only one disc??). if you didn't like it then I'd suggest giving this one a miss. I'm so glad I waited for the price to drop, but wouldn't be surprised if the price drops a lot more and soon.

It's disappointing. For a franchise which was at the forefront of the genre, it's now lagging behind a lot of much better newer rivals (CoD, Borderlands, Bioshock, all much, much better). Of current franchises the best comparison is maybe the F.E.A.R games which again I would say are better than this, and how long ago did we get them??

Oh well, rant over, back to the game (which is feeling a bit of a chore).

3.0 out of 5 stars Another near miss, 13 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I played the original when it was released. Yes, I am that old. Times change, graphics improve, technology moves on and games get better. Or do they? Playability is what counts. I enjoyed the storyline, I do like a bit of historical "what if". And the Nazis winning WW2 is one of the most intriguing and horrifying prospects. So, whats its like? Its good, good graphics, weapons, layouts, backdrops, but? Two problems. The weapons wheel, no pause while you change weapons, hmmm. Its fiddly, slow, and is actually inaccurate as when you point at a weapon, it picks the one next to it. Bang! You're dead. Your only option is to seek cover while you change, no use, especially at higher difficulty level. This is a schoolboy error, other games have weapon change systems which are slick, easy and intuitive, like Halo. Strange thing is you can look at a map in the middle of a firefight, and all the Nazis sit down for a cup of coffee and a well earned break. But try and change weapons? Oh my no, thats just silly. Then theres the save system. If anyone out there remembers the original Tomb Raider, one spent most of ones time finding the save diamonds. A lot of time and effort would be wasted at that last jump to the diamond only to fall, back to the start for you! Unbelievably, we have the same here!! Save points, I mean come on, how many years have passed and gamers are not grown up enough to save a game where they please? There may be some technical reason for this, but I doubt it. It staggers me that this nonsense still exists. You've done well,fought a good fight, done some nice moves. So you think, I'll save this. Nope, keep going until the game designer tells you its time to save. Just don't fall of that ledge or get hit by that sniper. I do like Bethesda, Fallout 3, what can I say? But they have missed a great chance here with some basic errors. Shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Wolfenstein had nothing on this., 8 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

You want a game that will take you on a emotional, fun filled, journey? Then this is it. You'll fight through hordes of enemies and most of the time you have the choice to go in loud and furious, or stealthy and tactical. For me, using the silenced pistol or throwing the knife was very rewarding.

The maps have plenty to explore with hidden items to be found. Even on XBOX 360 the graphics and detail are some of the best of what you'll see on this platform. No wonder this comes on 4 discs. Be prepared for a 10 minute install.

But is it worth it? Yes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it like you mean it!, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
It's very rare that I get so addicted to a game but this one had me from the start!
I bought it three or four days ago and completed it this morning. The hours spent playing this were very enjoyable ones to say the least. I would recommend to any FPS fans and also to those whom are fascinated by the era of World War II and enjoy the whole 'what if' concept. Highly recommended!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Troublesome and Painful FPS!, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Like many others, I'm old enough to have played the original WOLFENSTEIN game, back in the day. Sadly, this new game, just simply isn't that good or enjoyable.

Whereas the original was a great (albeit limited) first-person-shooter, this game tries to be more emotionally complex and mature, but fails miserably. When your package arrives, you'll find four discs worth of content. After loading-up Disc 1, which will install the 8gb's worth of game-data on to your XBox's hard-drive, you'll then start playing the game from Disc 2. Each of the remaining discs cover about a third of the game. So, whilst it might seem like you're getting great value for money, you're really just getting a normal length experience, spread-out across three discs, due to all of the FMV (Full Motion Video) content, which makes up numerous scenes in the game.

Once you actually start to play, you'll find the graphics are acceptable, but not much more. Objects and characters look fairly decent, but some of the animation is limited. The lip-sync for me, is awful, and doesn't correspond to voices accurately enough, which I found distracting. I also severely disliked the numerous FMV sequences. You'll play a few minutes of the game, only to come to a grinding halt, whilst you endure a lengthy animation sequence, as American soldier B.J. Blazcowicz explains his emotions, his fears, his thoughts on life, and simultaneously trudge from one event to the next. It's all very patchy, annoying and irritating. I just want to play the game, and let the game lead me from one scene to the next, not be constantly interrupted by animatics and storyline.

Secondly, my other major annoyance is the keys you use. Whereas in most games, you'll use the Green A button to activate things, pick-up items of interest, etc, here you use the Blue X button instead. I personally find this irritating, and the same problem happened with BIOSHOCK: INFINITE. Why games manufactures can't stick to standardised layouts, or if not, let gamers allocate the buttons to what functions we want, I'll never know.

As the game progresses, the settings can be changed from Very Easy via Easy, Regular and/or Tough. Unfortunately, there seems to be no standard set. Moments in the game on Very Easy, seemed to me to be very difficult, and moments in the game played on Tough, seemed very easy to get through. Little things like this will annoy you immensely, because it makes playing the game a chore, rather than an enjoyment.

Likewise, the other characters. This is a dialogue-heavy game, and too much time is spent on explaining everything, who people are, their history, and their roles. If I wanted a role-play game, I'd have chosen one. As such, whilst shooting is one aspect of the game, there's too much time to be spent on hunting for things, searching places and locations for this or that piece of information, and not enough time spent on the mass slaughter - the main reason most people want to play the game in the first place. I just want to shoot things up, dagnammit! The weaponry is relatively fun to use, but the Weapon Selection method is truly annoying. Whatever weapon you try and select, the system will select the one next to it. Worse still, when you're in the middle of combat, the AI characters will continue to fight you whilst you're messing-about trying to choose the correct implement to kill them with. It's an immensely glitchy and annoying experience! If you're lucky, you may get the weapon you actually want, and then you can try to kill your enemy, but more often than not, they'll have gunned/knifed you, and you'll be spent right back to the last checkpoint...

...Which brings me onto another major problem. Checkpoints! This game has very few checkpoints on each level. Too few, means that you will end-up getting three-quarters of the way through a particular stage, get killed/die, and then get sent right back to the very beginning of that stage. You can't save whenever you want, it's decided for you. Again, this will frustrate the hell out of you, and want to make you throw your XBox controller through the screen of your TV. A great way to hack-off the player!

Lastly, I had issues with dying. Not because I'm a bad gamesplayer. I mean when you die, which you inevitably will, you then have to wait for 30-40 seconds, for the game to reload the last saved checkpoint. For some inexplicable reason, no matter what, the game can't take you back to where you last started without having to constantly reload it into the XBox's memory. It's so annoying, especially if you are playing a very tricky part of the game, or battling a particularly vicious boss/baddie. Why this happens, I don't know, but it's greatly irritating! Most games don't need this 30-40 second time delay, so why does WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER?

For me, this is very much a game that will annoy you, rather than entertain you. It's not really a FPS, in the truest sense of the word, and there are too many glitches, problems and/or issues that will frustrate the player to the point of real anger. I want to like the game, and there are some good moments, but I'm afraid there are too many cheaper, better-looking, immensely more enjoyable FPS games out there that warrant your hard-earned cash, over this one.

It's not a bad game, per se, it's just not very good.

Overall, 3 out of 5 Stars, but if I'm honest, I'm being generous here, and with all the hassle the game causes the player, it really should be nearer 2 Stars. Buy/rent with extreme caution!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) Review!, 27 Jun 2014
MrE (E Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
As a huge fan of the original Wolfenstein game i was eager to get this on launch day and have been playing it for around 6-7 hours.

First thing to point out is that this is a single player game only. Ordinarily i become suspicious by that and often question the developers motives for doing such a thing. However, i have increasingly come to understand that single player games seem to last longer and maintain their attraction for longer and i agree with "H.Evans" comments regarding this.

So down to the game, it's a first person shooter set in 1960's europe, the difference being that the Nazis won the 2nd world war and now control everything. You the player must lead the fight back, infiltrating enemy strongholds and attempt to take control of their "super weapons". It really is a great plot and well thought through, certainly those that appreciate a good story should like this. Now graphics aren't exactly fantastic but they are on a par with other 360 games coming out but don't forget that this is suppose to be based in 1960s europe and to a large extent they have achieved that, the environments are destructible in parts and particularly come in handy when being attacked.

If you haven't already guessed this is a game in which stealth is key and your ability to sneak around is crucial to your own success, very much like a Sniper Elite game and fans of that series should end up liking this. There is a regenerative health system which i do like but if your health becomes too low then you will require a health pack. There are lots of different weapons and some have special abilities, the classic example being the laser cannon which can double as a cutting tool.

Pros: I love the story and the setting * stealthy game-play * love the weapons on offer * you get to fight the Nazis

Cons: Ammo is far to scarce and you spend too much time searching for it in my opinion * Duel-wielding isn't as good as you first think and you waste too much ammo * Checkpoints have been positioned before and not after an event so if you get killed later on you'll have to do the section all over again * AI are completely dumb and slow.

VERDICT: As I'm only half way through the game i will reserve my final judgement till i have completely finished it but based on what i have played this far i must say on the whole i am very impressed. The story is great and the game will pose a challenge, when you throw in some good shooting moments and the fact you get to kill Nazis what's not to like.

I'm very much getting a touch of nostalgia playing this and have been pleasantly surprised by what I've seen. I can't give it 5 stars as it does have some problems like the ones i have listed although i will say the lower than average price is appealing. Just keep in mind that there is no multi-player whatsoever to extend the experience.

A great game that all old school fans of the series will thoroughly enjoy. Sniper Elite fans may also like what it offers purely because of it's setting and who you are fighting. At 22 i am more than glad with my purchase and as a huge Wolfenstein fan who is currently enjoying the experience, i hope you do too!

RECOMMENDED!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better then the german version, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Great game. I play it in Germany where they have cutted the nazi symbols in the local version. Love it to play the original one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Up there with Bioshock and Dishonoured as a Narrative driven FPS, 29 May 2014
D. Lloyd "Riddick" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Lets be honest, in the realm of video game writing, there has yet to be created any villain more satisfying to frag, than a Nazi. You know it, I know it, and the developers of Wolfenstein know it, and revel in the UN-PC alternate reality of a world run by raving lunatic fascists (UKIP voters be carefull what you vote for).

It is clear from early on that this game is going to be a bit special- the playable prologue is around 40 mins of solid gameplay before the credits even kick in. The story is brilliant, the reality created is all too believable, the levels are well designed, the controlls are excellent, the weapons are well powered, and have a satisfying substance to them.

Now the new gen of consoles is out, its very popular to be dismissive of 360/PS3 graphics, like we werent all raving about them up until 7 months ago. This game has some great facial animations in the (well written and well acted) FMV sequences, and in game the graphics are great. You can tell that people involved in Dishonoured had a hand in its creation, but that is a compliment as far as I am concerned.

In a world where gaming is becoming more and more reliant on being happy to be sworn at by angry 12 year olds on XBL to get any lifespan out of a game, this represents an old school, meaty and immersive single player experience, with solid AI and above all else fun.

Yep, thats the overriding sensation that this game gives. Its one of the most enjoyable games I have played in quite some time, and I recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
so glad I bought this game I love it. fast n prompt the game was brand new five star service

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really the wolfenstein that you know., 3 Jun 2014
Londoner (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I am a huge fan of quake, doom, wolfenstein, have been since my big brothers introduced me to it as a kid. I bought the last wolfenstein and played it far too many times so was really pleased to see that they were going to bring this one out.

I don't like it.. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game, but it doesn't resemble the original at all, it the same as many other shooting games out there.

Only been playing for a while, but there's no nazi's saying 'mein leben' when you kill em, no hidden places/secrets (unless I've missed em all!) and none of the original charm. The game so far is just shooting with many many cinema cuts telling a story. If you like that kind of take your brain out FPS with good graphics, then great, it's perfect. If you like the old school games then perhaps you may be a little disappointed like me.

Wolfenstein: The New Order (Xbox 360)
34.99