5.0 out of 5 stars Richie At His Best
Amongst die hard Rainbow fans there can be a little prejudice against the last line up. Most see the first manifestations with Dio as the pinnacle and give grudging acknowledgement to the Bonnet and Turner years, but Doogie White?
Published 14 months ago by Cynewulf

3.0 out of 5 stars The performance itself is ok, but the sound is rather bad
The mixing is really rather poor on this one. Don't know if it's only my preference, but it just doesn't seem right. The DVD is in 4:3 format and it's not up to the latest standards when it comes to picture quality. But after all it's not Rihanna, so we're here to see some rocking and there's surely plenty of it :)
Published 13 months ago by Karol Mozdzierz

5.0 out of 5 stars Richie At His Best, 1 Sep 2013
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
I myself did not even bother to buy the `Stranger in us All' CD, having read a few negative reviews. But when, a few years ago, I came across a clip of the song `Black Masquerade' live at Rockplast on YouTube I realised what I had missed. Since then I have been waiting for a DVD of the full concert to be released.
Let me first say that this is not the best sound or visual recording, but once you get past the opening song (where the keyboard sound is not clear) this ceases to be an issue as you get into the concert. Richie, who at the time of this concert must have been aged around 50, has given up his stage antics (all that overblown posing, whilst doing nothing musical on his guitar, that could at times be annoying). This is replaced by good solid and inventive playing which he maintains song after song. His melodies and runs twist and turn according to the moods of the songs and you are left wondering what he will do next. Blackmore always keeps everything fresh and interesting.
As for the rest of the band, they too are solid. Particular mention must be made of Paul Morris on Keyboards whose solo spot is a joy to listen to.
But what of Doogie White? As most of the songs in the concert are from earlier manifestations of Rainbow and Deep Purple he will inevitably get compared with those who originally sung them. As those original singers are Gillan, Coverdale, Bonnet, Dio and Turner, there are a lot of comparisons to make. This sets Doogie at a disadvantage but he copes remarkably well. Where he comes into his own of course is on the songs from the `Strangers in Us All' album which he no doubt helped to write and stamped his own personality on from the start.
There is no song in this concert of the epic proportions of `Catch the Rainbow' (which was the highlight for me from the early years), but there are no bad ones either. Early Blackmore could be a bit patchy in his live playing and he used to naff around a lot but in this concert he displays his brilliance from start to finish. I wished I had been to see this line-up live but this DVD is a good second best and has the advantage of being able to play time and time again to pick up nuances missed the first time. Truly Blackmore at his best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Set from an Excellent Band, 21 Sep 2013
Shrews_Tyke (Shrewsbury, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
This is yet another excellent set from Mr B. He has chosen yet another excellent band of musicians who perform magnificently. There are one or two bits that I don't like. During the first track, Spotlight Kid, some fool starts playing Judy Garland singing Over The Rainbow during Richie's guitar solo which spoils it slightly.Then there are various guitar/keyboard/drum solos which I find a bit tedious. All of the members of the band are excellent musicians and playing together this is obvious, on their own they have a tendency to be a bit boring.Overall though this is an excellent performance, all of the band play extremely well and Dougie White is a really good front man. I loved the Dio years but this is yet another incarnation of one of my favourite bands playing my favourite music extremely well and it's got some of my favourite Deep Purple songs as well.
This is a much over looked line up that deserves greater recognition.
Contrary to what you might read in other reviews about the sound quality I can't fault it but then again I haven't paid thousands of pounds for a sound system and I've only got ordinary ears. Ther are too many pretentious people out there who need to get their heads from up their arses and appreciate things for what they really are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dusseldorf : 09/10/1995, 27 Sep 2013
Mr. Ronald Garner (Chesterfield UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
It's great that this show is available at last officially for all Rainbow fans to enjoy. I'd seen an unofficial video of this concert some time ago and to be fair it was watchable but I was pleased to hear the concert was coming out on DVD. Featuring a line up which only recorded one album " Stranger in us all ", they play a selection of songs from that CD plus various Deep Purple and Rainbow tracks.. I thought Ritchie Blackmore on guitar was on good form and this is one of his better shows with a no nonsense approach.

Definitely an item worth adding to any Deep Purple or Rainbow fan's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Make them like this anymore, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Any one, like me, who's a RB fan will enjoy this,worth buying just for the guitar work on "Black Masquerade" and "spotlight kid" alone ,also thrown in is a small early taste of CN on backing vocals (an early taster of what has become her now legendary stage presence) Really big fan of the current RB offerings ( think BN is really working and goes from strength to strength) but this concert footage is is a great snap shot of the later Rainbow ,saw them only once alas with this particular line up but it brought it all back for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Master class in the Guitar, 23 Oct 2013
Mr. Kim Hutcheson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Blackmore is a legend and this does not disappoint. Open up a bottle, crank up the volume lay back and enjoy a master at work.

4.0 out of 5 stars But the cover on this CD itself was telling me the band had returned to some old musical values so I bought it and wasn't disapp, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
I remember coming across the "Stranger in us all" CD by pure chance whilst just looking around in HMV. To be honest I had given up on Rainbow with the "Difficult to cure" album although I accept a band evolves I just found Joe Lynn Turners vocal style grated and it was all starting to sound too packaged. But the cover on this CD itself was telling me the band had returned to some old musical values so I bought it and wasn't disappointed.
I think the DVD is enjoyable to watch and will appeal to seasoned Rainbow fans. Blackie doesn't chuck himself and the guitar around as much but at fifty what's he got to prove! His outstanding ability as one of the great lead guitarists of our age shines through as ever and it's just incredible how easy he makes it look.
Ronnie Dio is irreplaceable and forever remembered as THE Rainbow singer but I give an appreciative nod to Graham Bonnet for the sheer power of his voice and I think Doogie White gives a very capable performance and actually looks like a Rainbow singer!
All in all if you love Rainbow being Rainbow again you will like this and it's a buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars The performance itself is ok, but the sound is rather bad, 27 Sep 2013
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, a must have for any Richie Blackmore fan, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Fantastic,a must have for any Richie Blackmore fan.From start to finish it rocks with Richie at his best.......EVER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats To say, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
Ritchie Blackmore...what can I say...I bought this for my brother for Christmas...This is a must for all
Blackmore fans and those who are not, buy it and see what you're missing..the man is a guitar genius..
Outshone only by Jimi Hendrix..

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] (DVD)
This DVD was excellent when I watched it! I can't stop watching it! Wish there was more of this kind of stuff. Thanks!

Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC]
Black Masquerade [DVD] [2013] [NTSC] by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (DVD - 2013)