on 24 February 2014
I wanted to add some information about this game.

I looked at all the reviews and still decided to buy it. A lot of the negative reviews should be considered but as user errors and issues.

I have found this can be played in single player mode so everyone complaining about having to be online are incorrect. (Check in the game settings settings)

The reviewer complaining about not hearing the music over the engines. Again. Turn the engine sound down in the settings menu.

Graphics are awesome and its very slick on the PS4. Content wise I have to agree that it lacks some depth. But game play should be taken as a arcade style racer. I found I could play 10 minutes or 2 hours depending on free time.

Chopping between racer and cop is great. Fun to pick up and play.
on 21 February 2014
Great laugh, all the super cars are here the open world aspect works great even if you can't really stop to take in the view as you'll be flying past everything at 200mph.
on 14 December 2014
Had this game a year now. Always been a firm favourite.

I've tried the recent Driveclub (a year behind in launching and still broken) and The Crew (terrible - first time I've written a negative review) and I always return to Rivals.

Great graphics, superb handling and intelligent upgrading/unlocks. Very enjoyable racer - a worthy next-gen successor to NFS Hot Pursuit.

As racers go, yet to be beaten.
on 24 May 2016
About time! Arcade-ish handling, fun game with loads of balls-out speed and action. I stopped playing NFS games after Most Wanted, because it wasn't NFSU2 :-) Then I went to Racedriver Grid, then MCLA just for my daily dose of action. I bought one NFS game about 4 years ago and trashed it, gave up on the franchise just as it was too serious and boring. If I want to be a pretentious throbber who plays car games for serious car physics (which they invariably get wrong anyway irrespective of how much effort they put into the programming, speaking as an ex-formula 3 driver who's owned over 40 cars and raced 10 more) then I'll buy that... whatchacallit.... Gran Tourismo. That'd put me to sleep nicely.

Anyway, great return to form & my favourite game since MCLA & GRiD! Hope to see some more in future
on 31 May 2016
I dont care what anyone says cops and racer chases are the best, this new Need for speed 2016 sucks, who wants to be a badman gangsta style, some of us want the Hot pursuit style of need for speed and here we have both and here the multiplayer covers both, I keep coming back to this to play it over and over, its okay playing project cars but if you want a blast around this is the one to buy, if you wanna be a cop or a crook getting chased by a lot of cops then this is a deffo (the newer one is great if you wear your trousers hanging round your bum, with hugo written all around your boxer shorts and your cap on back to front! (no offence)) :)
on 8 June 2014
This is a really good, well made game but after a few weeks of getting away from the cops or wrecking racers vehicles and eventually completing the game you start to think, now what? Online is okay just gets boring very quickly, I sold the product after having it and completing it because I had nothing else to do on it plus you can't use a steering wheel which is disappointing. So overall good game but needs something extra.
on 3 December 2013
Need for Speed has lost it's charm as of late. The closure of the developers of Underground, Most Wanted 2005, Carbon and Undercover - EA Black Box didn't help at all. This is Ghost Game's first Need for Speed title and did they do a heck of a great job.

Rather than going into the nitty gritty about all it's features, just know from a real street racing fan... this is a step in the right direction for Need for Speed and I can't wait to see what they create next year. This is why I am giving it 4/5 rather than the full 5. It's a step in the right direction, but the things that have been fixed such as progression, customisation and so on are only half way there.

You will find no body mods, but you will be able to place stickers and vinyl's on your car... but you can't move them. You can upgrade performance of your cars and see the numbers change by a HUGE amount... but when you drive it the only noticeable difference will be handling and the durability of the cars. You can finally buy cars again! But you can afford any car you want within one outing... as I said. It's half way there.

It's a game that is just a test for the Frostbite racing game engine and sometimes it shows. The guys at Ghost had less than a year to build a new team, make the Frostbite engine racing friendly and make a game... they did a great job. Every time I play the game, I love it... but I look forward to see what comes next more. I hope it's Underground 3 or a sequel to Need for Speed Carbon... as I know from personal experience the fans would love to see that.

But yes. If you're looking for a street racer to hold you until The Crew or NFS 2014, this is the one. My favourite launch title for the PlayStation 4.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 January 2014
Since its launch i've been tossing up whether or not to get this game and for Christmas the decision was made for me. My other half bought me a copy which i am grateful for. However, the reason i was reluctant was i wasn't convinced it was worth the money having listened to many professional reviewers and indeed some friends on a different platform that had bought it but didn't like it.

First things first, the game looks beautiful and runs very well with no lag or screen judder, indeed i would say it's the best looking racing spectacle to date, i instantly took to it and liked the way it played, almost arcade like but thankfully not quite. There was a fear that this game would be completely different to past outings as it's a new studio that made it but there wasn't much worry of that considering the brains behind the past games moved to the new studio, so those old school fans fear not as that same DNA runs through this game, although perhaps too much??

The title really suits this game down to the ground, "Need for Speed" and make no mistake, there's lots of speed with some intense chases (especially if you become the cops) as in this you can play both sides! You can play in a connected world in which you can see other players, both to race against as "RIVALS" and like i said earlier you can become the cops and chase them down. The map is like a shrunken USA albeit twisted and cramped to an extent! So the Cars then, they look and handle beautifully and are a laugh to drive especially when you have friends to race with, i do have concerns over the weapons that are available as many have stated, they just seem dull and like we've been there before. However my biggest gripe and the reason why i gave it 4 stars is simply because I've been playing this game for over a week now and have to say it has become very repetitive with very few different challenges but then again i have yet to meet a racing game that doesn't get repetitive so i guess everyone will know what they are getting into when they buy this game.

PROS: It looks stunningly beautiful * The cars are great to drive * some great races * you can become the cops * more fun than Forza 5 (yes i also own an Xbox One)

CONS: I was hoping for better weapons * Gets very repetitive far too quickly * Expensive for the amount of content i would argue (personal opinion)

VERDICT: Certainly the best looking racing game of the next gen so far, it's lots of fun racing other players or indeed trying to catch them if you are the cops but sadly it's repetitive nature is what lets it down. If anything at certain points it feels short on features and different challenges. However, if you want a racing game that looks great with fantastic vehicles then look no further. Playing with friends is a blast!

My one piece of advise is to wait for the price to drop as at full price the game simply isn't worth it!!
on 4 February 2014
I've been playing NFS games since the first one and this really doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's pretty boring and unimaginative. I would wait until a proper racing game comes out for the PS4.
on 30 January 2014
It looks ok and seems to run at a pretty steady frame rate but this game could have been so much more..

I finished the race career in a day without even trying (no mammoth session just going back and forth during the day) and the notion of speccing up your car is really hampered by the way new cars unlocked.. This becomes more frustrating than anything.

EA have really dropped the ball with this, much like BF4 and Sim City (although this one aint broken, just half assed).. If they continue as is I hope they end up bankrupt. Gamers do not need companies like this ruining franchises and dropping broken games on consumers who act as beta testers for full price releases.