Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£11.99

VINE VOICEon 27 February 2008
At long last Slaine's first ever adventures are published! Sky Chariots, included here, has been published before by Titan but so far as I know this is the first ever collection of the stories that preceded it. Slaine and Ukko wander across Tir Nan Og from one blood drenched adventure to the next while Pat Mills explores the Land of the Young's tribal world - no teleporting into other dimensions to fight time travelling aliens just yet. Aside from the first episode the art chores are shared by the recently deceased Massimo Belardinelli, and Mike McMahon.

Unfortunately, as with all Rebellion's collections they're printed at a smaller size than when they originally appeared in 2000AD, which means that some of Belardinelli's finer line work sometimes disappears. Mike MaMahons scribbly experimental style also suffers in comparison to Belardinelli's work. It's a shame then that when he eventually gets his act together and produces some excellent artwork for Sky Chariots a handful of pages are here reproduced so badly that they look like Rebellion must have dropped them in a muddy puddle - one in particular, a full page splash of two sky ships side by side with massed warriors hacking away at each other, has lost so much detail they might as well have left the page blank!

Having said all that of course it's a miracle that these early adventures have been reproduced at all, so buy 'em while you can!!!
on 17 February 2014
I always favoured Slaine over Conan, probably because Slaine was a thoroughly British hero but also because the stories are better written and the art of Belardinelli, McMahon, Fabry and Bisley is far superior to the artwork of artists working on the American Conan.

Warrior's Dawn is an absolute joy, the stories are compelling and of great interest they stirred in me moments of nostalgic bliss, and the illustrations by McMahon are genius.
on 27 May 2014
I had previously never known about Slaine. My only experience with 2000ad stories were ABC Warriors & Judge Dredd. My dad actually told me about Slaine after we'd seen the 2012 Dredd movie at the cinema (which was awesome) I liked the mystical Irish theme & usually I like anything that includes ridiculous over the top violence. I read around on the internet & found that Warrior's Dawn collected the original comics. I read through it in one evening. I couldn't put it down. Slaine's warp spasm ability is badass & kind of terrifying at the same time. The only reason I'm not giving this book 5 stars is that I assumed the artwork inside would be like the cover. So when I opened it up I was met with 100% black and white, very retro looking artwork. I suppose this is just due to the fact that I'm a young whipper-snapper who grew up in the 90's reading Spiderman & X-men that were awash with all the colours of the Mutant Gene. But overall Slaine: Warrior's Dawn was very entertaining. A refreshing & different look into another part of the insane & violent 2000ad universe.
on 6 February 2009
It's fantastic to get this story in collected form again. Unfortunately the publisher has not matched the format of the book to the original artwork so the pages have been shrunk, leaving white bars at the header and footer. My print is also very grey where there should be a marked contrast between black and white areas (for the pages drawn by Mike McMahon).

Still, this is the cheapest and most convenient way to revist this amazing story and artwork.
on 3 December 2008
Five stars for reproducing the GLORIOUS scratchy line work of Mike McMahon. He really puts the other artists to shame. His Slaine is big and ugly - you can practically smell him. And the cover image - I could stare at it for days.
on 21 June 2015