This very well-made item consists of a brightly coloured anodised smooth aluminium
tube which has the internal battery capacity to fully charge most makes of smartphone
and other 5-volt rechargeable devices, for example my iPod touch. It also doubles as
quite a bright LED powered torch.

Its internal battery has a rating of 2600mAh and it managed...
Published 19 months ago by JB

Disappointing.
This review is based on both units, so not necessarily a faulty unit.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. A. Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent external charger that's compact with a bright torch, 20 Nov. 2013
JB (Chudleigh, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
quite a bright LED powered torch.

Its internal battery has a rating of 2600mAh and it managed to charge both my HTC
Desire (1400mAh battery) and my iPod (900mAh) with ease; both devices were down
to around 10 - 15% charge. There was still enough energy for the torch to shine very
brightly.

I find that as a battery pack it's great, but the fact it doubles as a torch is a great idea.
My wife regularly forgets to charge her phone and with device in her bag or pocket it's
quite reassuring to know she's got a torch on hand too. The device is supplied with a
drawstring suede-effect little bag to keep the cables and adapter tips in one place.

We do have another larger-capacity external battery pack, but it is also much bulkier;
this charger is really quite compact and ideal for my wife's handbag measuring Ø22
mm x 102mm long, rather like a rather chunky tube of lipstick.

Charging time was just over three hours using my phone's charger, but around twice
that if recharged from my computer. The torch is switched on by pressing the led that
not only indicates charge (red then green) but doubles a switch too.

The unit is supplied with one lead and three adapters including Micro USB, Mini USB,
Apple and a PSP Connector. If one uses the micro USB adapter it will double as a
computer charging lead. Any non-standard smartphone or other USB charged device
can be powered by this charger; if the connector is not supplied, just use the device's
own charging cable.

The user guide rather small and a little difficult to read but the charger's so intuitive to
use it's really not a problem. There is a small hole drilled in the base of the torch to allow
a small 1.5mm cord loop to be fed through to attach to a wrist strap; this is not included
and I think it would be an improvement if this was supplied with the charger.

So, in summary, it looks great and is very well made; it has 'quality' feel to it and the
compact size makes it ideal to carry around. The torch feature particularly appealed to
me. This product was supplied to me for reviewing and after a couple of weeks of regular
use I can definitely recommend it; splendid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very adaptable, 11 May 2014
A solid product and is very adaptable. Previous battery backups I have owned have only supported certain Apple devices. This has the power, sockets and adapters to provide additional power to iPhone, iPad2 and mini, Samsung smart phone. On a long trek in Pembrokeshire this device charged up fully two mobiles and an iPad 2 and still had 50% power left in it. I was very impressed. It's not too big and fitted in my coat pocket as it charged. The casing is strong and showed no sign of over heating. It's the speed of the charge that really impressed me. Now I have one battery pack to support all devices as long as you remembered to take the necessary cables with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pocket-sized backup battery power and torch, 28 Nov. 2013
K. Z. Sobol (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have had this external battery pack for about a month now and I have recommended it to several of my friends. This is not much bigger than a packet of polos and is sleek and elegant. I have used it on countless occasions, when my phone battery has been running low and I am out and about and have either given it a little boost or charged it fully. The pack itself is easily charged with the included cable via my PC USB and then switching the cable around, so that the USB is in the battery pack - I can charge my Samsung Galaxy. Fab!

The torch element is excellent too - with a little button, which despite my initially concerns has been designed cleverly, so that you can't accidentally turn it on in your handbag, but needs to be pressed intentionally. I have found it useful finding my way back to my car late at night as despite the small size, it has a very powerful, bright daylight-like torchlight.

I like that this comes in a variety of colours, but the hot pink that I have is definitely my favourite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, solid product, 18 Nov. 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a hefty external battery in more ways than one. Firstly, it is quite large (about the size of an iPhone but considerably thicker) and reasonably heavy. This gives the feeling of being a robust and substantial product. It has a pleasant feel to it and can be held in one hand.

The second way in which it is hefty is in the amount of charge it holds. I was given a free product in exchange for a review and so I spent a week using the battery as the sole way in which to charge my electronic devices just to see how long it lasted. A week later, I had used it to charge my phone, Kindle, iPod and a bluetooth speaker on more than one occasion and had still only used 25% of the charge. This is very impressive, especially as it can charge two items at the same time (one slot is specifically for items such as tablets but you can recharge smaller devices in it as well) - larger items use more power but you should still get quite a few recharges from this product. The battery also doubles as a very effective small torch which will last a very long time but which is probably a bit unwieldy to hold for considerable periods because of the weight and the size of the battery (people with strong, large hands will be fine).

I can see that this would be a very useful product if you were travelling a lot or camping for a period. It could also be used where you have a number of people who might need to recharge devices over a day or so and who could share it. It is not light enough really to carry around in a bag just in case you needed it but it would fit easily into the glove compartment of a car or a suitcase.

The amount of charge remaining in the battery is shown by four blue lights which reduce in number as it empties. The battery is charged up itself using mini-USB cable which is included but you will need a plug if you want to recharge from the mains suppy. A cable with a number of different attachments is provided for you to charge your devices, or you could use your own cables. The battery could have done with a travelling case or container of some sort to store these as they are easy to lose. In fact, a case might have been nice to hold the battery and whatever cables you needed when out and about.

All in all, a useful, substantial and robust product.

1.0 out of 5 stars A case of misleading, but presumably legal, advertising. The capacity advertised is not at 5V output., 27 Dec. 2014
Mr. A. Cook "Al" (UK) - See all my reviews
Disappointing.
This review is based on both units, so not necessarily a faulty unit.
From earlier reviews of this product, I thought it would be ideal for what I needed and I bought two units. It seems not to be all that is advertised. Both were charged for 24 hours, then left for between 2 and 5 days until I needed them. Despite what other reviews have suggested, neither was sufficient to charge my IPhone equivalent fully, let alone twice.
Both offered a charge increase from about 10% to 80% (so, about 70% charge of the phone battery).
The advertised capacity of 2600mAh is, according to the literature which comes with it, based on the voltage of the rechargeable cell (not specified but presumably less than 5V). It clearly doesn't put out 2600mAh at the 5V needed to charge a phone via a USB connection. It might have 2600mAh at the cell voltage, but put through the internal converter, this only equates to something like 1000mAh at the output voltage at which a phone can charge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Charger, 27 Nov. 2013
C M Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have had a number of battery backup products to review recently and I have rated most of them as 5 star products. This item is definitely a 5 star product. It has a real quality feel to it and is made from a rubberised type of plastic. It also has a very bright LED torch added to the unit which is very useful at night. For those who are not aware of what this product does, it is in essence a rechargeable battery powerpack that charges other items, such as my Android phone, sat nav, tablet PC, PSP etc. The product is quite small and relatively lightweight given the capacity of its enormous charge. The layout is very simple, on the front are 4 LED lights that indicate how much charge is left so as to charge other items, a on/off button, on the top of the unit are two USB slots and the LED torch light. To use you simply charge the unit using a USB port and then use the included cables to charge the item you want to charge such as a phone. On my test, I charged my Sony Xperia phone from empty to 100% charge in 1 hour 10 minutes, so equating to almost the same charge rate as plugging it into a socket. This charge also hardly dissipated the internal battery of the unit. I think the units' battery once fully charged, will allow 8 full charges of my mobile phone, giving the unit an enormous capacity.

Unlike other battery powerpack units I have tested, this comes with 2 USB slots, which allows for dual charging of a phone and a tablet PC at the same time. It also has a very useful automatic power off which kicks in when the battery you are charging is full or after being disconnected for one minute from the charged item. The unit also comes with two charging cables, unlike some other battery powerpacks I have tested, multiple connectors (but not the Apple connector due to patent issues with Apple), instruction booklet and guarantee card.

I am very impressed by the unit, how it looks and the quality of its construction. The item is backed by a manufacturers 12 month warranty and email help address. I cannot recommend this charger enough. It solves one of the most common problems with an ageing phone battery, in that it seems to run out when you are in the middle of nowhere and have no socket to plug it in. With this product you have a fully charged phone in less than 90 minutes. The pack itself has an enormous charge capacity and I have found it very difficult to dissipate it, whilst charging my phone. It also can dual charge two items which is simply brilliant.

This is a fantastic product, which I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally good, although loss of charge capacity is high, 20 Nov. 2014
Initially I would have given this more stars, but after use you soon notice a few flaws.

The positives are as many people mention. It charges your devices quickly and efficiently and can manage smartphones such as the Samsung Note 3 with ease easily handling 4 or 5 charges from flat. The fact you can charge other devices at the same time is clearly beneficial, but I have found that some cables will not work and thus am only able to charge the one device using the supplied cable. The size and weight, although not ideal isn't a major issue for me, although big pockets would be required if you needed this out and about.

The negatives are small in number but of great importance. The device takes a very long time to reach its full charge, you'll be looking at 12 hours+ initially and that leads on to the next major issue. From the outset it wouldn't reach its full capacity of 100% and generally stopped charging when it reached 92%. Each month it managed less and less and 11 months down the line it can only reach a maximum of 54%.

All of this aside though I would still recommend the product based on the price, but do go into it with the understanding that it'll probably need replacing after a couple of years.

5.0 out of 5 stars An emergency power for your smartphone - that's also a torch, 13 Dec. 2014
John Ryan "Scouse in the semi-detached house" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I have to say, I’ve tried and awful lot of power-banks, but I love this. In fact I liked it so much I bought a second one for my wife. Here’s why…..

What is it and what does it do
—————————————
This remarkably small and beautifully designed blue aluminium device is an external battery charge pack for an iPhone or Android Smartphone or tablet computer. Basically, if you’re out and about (on a long rail journey or away camping or at a rock festival), you can re-charge your phone or iPad in an emergency

However, what’s special about it, is it’s also an incredibly powerful torch. It even looks like a torch.

What's it like?
—————————
At 4 inches long and one inch in diameter, and made of anodised aluminium it’s effectively a little torch that also includes an emergency power bank for your smartphone. Of course, the main purpose is it’s a power-bank to power up your mobile phone, and I’m pleased to say it works a treat.

Does it work?
------------------
Glad to say, yes. it charged my Google Nexus 5 from absolutely flat to 100% in around 90 minutes.
The battery is rated at a 3,000 mAh which is absolutely great for an emergency when you’re unexpectedly out late, and your battery is running flat. To put this in context, here’s the battery size of a range of smartphones:-

* Google Nexus 5 - 2,300 mAh - Recharge 1+ times
* Samsung Galaxy S3 - 2,100 mAh - Recharge 1.5 times
* Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2,600 mAh - Recharge 1 times
* Apple iPhone 5 - 1,400 mAh - Recharge 2 times
* Apple iPhone 5S - 1,570 mAh - Recharge 1+ times
* Apple iPhone 6 - 1,810 mAh - Recharge 1+ times
* Apple iPhone 6 Plus (Phablet) - 2,916 mAh - Recharge once

Each of the above are estimates (you never quite get 100% efficiency out of a battery), but they’re a good estimate. I tested it on an iPad Air (lightning connector), iPad 3rd Generation (wide plug) and iPhone 5S.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Tiny little thing - almost disappears in a handbag or bag
* Very Light weight - means you could carry it everywhere
* Useful little torch. Really useful for these dark winter nights

What you should be aware of
—————————————
* It doesn’t come with a wall charger or USB to iPhone cable (but these devices never do).
* Otherwise great!

Conclusion
———————
Top quality smartphone battery/power-bank that’s also a torch. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed and packs a huge punch!, 13 Sept. 2014
John Ryan "Scouse in the semi-detached house" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Don’t know about you, but I’m on my mobile or iPad 24 x 7. Of course, this also means I can’t spend more than a day away from a power socket - that is until now.

Here’s why…..

What is it and what does it do
—————————————
This remarkably powerful (and beautifully designed) little box is an external battery charge pack for an iPhone or Android Smartphone or an iPad or Android tablet computer. Basically, if you’re out and about (on a long rail journey or away camping or at a rock festival), you can re-charge your phone or iPad loads of times back to full charge.

What's it like?
—————————
It’s a chunky little device which comes in a cool “gun metal” blue aluminium box with a white top and tail. just about the size of a smartphone (3 inches by 5.5 inches), but deeper, at just under 3/4 of a inch with a nice heft to it. It comes in at 305g which to put in context is “chunky”, but an awful lot less than the weight of a standard tin of beans which typically weights 400g.

In terms of functionality, it has two USB ports (means you can charge two devices at the same time), and a single button which lights up 4 rather cool looking blue LED lights to indicate how fully charged it is (each light indicates 25%). This is a great feature, because this battery has so much power you’d not need to charge it for ages, and it’s great to see how much charge you have left.

You press the button once to see how much charge is left (it arrived with 4 lights on - fully charged), and double click the button to light up the handy white LED light which makes it a great device to take away with you on a camping trip - no more hunting around in the dark.

It comes with just a USB to micro-USB cable (so you can charge it). This means if you have an iPhone or iPad you’ll need to use your own cable (but you’ll have one anyway so no issues there). If you’re lucky enough to use a phone with a Micro-USB cable (most non-Apple devices), then you can use the supplied cable.

Finally, these things are rated in miliamps per hour. I’ve tested a number of these devices so far, and this is by far the biggest, rated at a whopping 15,000 mAh - which is is just MASSIVE. What it means, is it can charge your phone LOTS of times before finally needing a recharge.

Does it work?
------------------
Glad to say, yes. it charged my Google Nexus 5 from absolutely flat to 100% in just over 90 minutes. What’s more, the 4 lights (which each indicate 25% charge) didn’t move. Lots more power!
The battery is rated at a whopping 15,000Ah (the higher the better) which means it should charge a smartphone several times before finally needing to be plugged in.

For example, here's the battery capacity (mAh) of some of the more popular smartphones:-

* Google Nexus 5 - 2,300
* Samsung Galaxy S3 - 2,100
* Samsung Galaxy S4 - 2,600
* Apple iPhone 5 - 1,400
* Apple iPhone 5S - 1,570
* Apple iPhone 4S - 1,432

So (roughly speaking), you should get around 7+ full charges out of an iPhone 5 before you need to re-charge the unit.

I tested it on an iPad Air (lightning connector), iPad 3rd Generation (wide plug), iPhone 4GS and Google Nexus 5 smartphone.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Fantastic huge power bank - will keep you re-charged for days !
* Beautifully designed - lovely aluminium cool feel to it
* Relatively light weight - means you could carry it in your bag.
* Solid and sturdy,
* Enough power to charge a standard smartphone 7+ times.

What's not so good?
—————————————
In common with every battery power-pack I've tested it doesn't come with a wall charger or USB to smartphone cable, but you'll have one anyway for your phone or tablet. You’ll also need to carry your iPhone cable with you if you intend to charge an Apple device.

Conclusion
---------------
Fantastic little charger. Absolutely love it. Highly recommended.

Disclosure: I was kindly sent this by the manufacturer to give an independent unbiased review. On the positive side, I get to review an awful lot of these mobile batteries, and this one is excellent build quality.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good but only charges around 1,650mAh, 30 Jan. 2015
The product feels sturdy, the colour and texture are great and the torch is a nice feature.

The unit charges quickly and turns of the LED to signify when it has finished which is useful.

It did manage to charge my 'phone faster than I could wear down the battery playing games and browsing which impressed me.

However it can only charge my 2,300mAh battery by about 65-80%, which is only around two thirds of the advertised capacity. I realise that there will always be some inefficiency but I was hoping for less. The unit also becomes quite warm while charging the 'phone.

I haven't yet had the unit long enough to know whether it stands up to the advertised 500+ recharge cycles before losing significant amounts of capacity.

It's a great size to keep in my bag for emergencies and will definitely get used but for extended use I will stick to my brick like Anker.