TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 November 2013
This very well-made item consists of a brightly coloured anodised smooth aluminium
tube which has the internal battery capacity to fully charge most makes of smartphone
and other 5-volt rechargeable devices, for example my iPod touch. It also doubles as
quite a bright LED powered torch.

Its internal battery has a rating of 2600mAh and it managed to charge both my HTC
Desire (1400mAh battery) and my iPod (900mAh) with ease; both devices were down
to around 10 - 15% charge. There was still enough energy for the torch to shine very
brightly.

I find that as a battery pack it's great, but the fact it doubles as a torch is a great idea.
My wife regularly forgets to charge her phone and with device in her bag or pocket it's
quite reassuring to know she's got a torch on hand too. The device is supplied with a
drawstring suede-effect little bag to keep the cables and adapter tips in one place.

We do have another larger-capacity external battery pack, but it is also much bulkier;
this charger is really quite compact and ideal for my wife's handbag measuring Ø22
mm x 102mm long, rather like a rather chunky tube of lipstick.

Charging time was just over three hours using my phone's charger, but around twice
that if recharged from my computer. The torch is switched on by pressing the led that
not only indicates charge (red then green) but doubles a switch too.

The unit is supplied with one lead and three adapters including Micro USB, Mini USB,
Apple and a PSP Connector. If one uses the micro USB adapter it will double as a
computer charging lead. Any non-standard smartphone or other USB charged device
can be powered by this charger; if the connector is not supplied, just use the device's
own charging cable.

The user guide rather small and a little difficult to read but the charger's so intuitive to
use it's really not a problem. There is a small hole drilled in the base of the torch to allow
a small 1.5mm cord loop to be fed through to attach to a wrist strap; this is not included
and I think it would be an improvement if this was supplied with the charger.

So, in summary, it looks great and is very well made; it has 'quality' feel to it and the
compact size makes it ideal to carry around. The torch feature particularly appealed to
me. This product was supplied to me for reviewing and after a couple of weeks of regular
use I can definitely recommend it; splendid.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 11 May 2014
A solid product and is very adaptable. Previous battery backups I have owned have only supported certain Apple devices. This has the power, sockets and adapters to provide additional power to iPhone, iPad2 and mini, Samsung smart phone. On a long trek in Pembrokeshire this device charged up fully two mobiles and an iPad 2 and still had 50% power left in it. I was very impressed. It's not too big and fitted in my coat pocket as it charged. The casing is strong and showed no sign of over heating. It's the speed of the charge that really impressed me. Now I have one battery pack to support all devices as long as you remembered to take the necessary cables with you!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had this external battery pack for about a month now and I have recommended it to several of my friends. This is not much bigger than a packet of polos and is sleek and elegant. I have used it on countless occasions, when my phone battery has been running low and I am out and about and have either given it a little boost or charged it fully. The pack itself is easily charged with the included cable via my PC USB and then switching the cable around, so that the USB is in the battery pack - I can charge my Samsung Galaxy. Fab!

The torch element is excellent too - with a little button, which despite my initially concerns has been designed cleverly, so that you can't accidentally turn it on in your handbag, but needs to be pressed intentionally. I have found it useful finding my way back to my car late at night as despite the small size, it has a very powerful, bright daylight-like torchlight.

I like that this comes in a variety of colours, but the hot pink that I have is definitely my favourite!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 November 2013
This is a hefty external battery in more ways than one. Firstly, it is quite large (about the size of an iPhone but considerably thicker) and reasonably heavy. This gives the feeling of being a robust and substantial product. It has a pleasant feel to it and can be held in one hand.

The second way in which it is hefty is in the amount of charge it holds. I was given a free product in exchange for a review and so I spent a week using the battery as the sole way in which to charge my electronic devices just to see how long it lasted. A week later, I had used it to charge my phone, Kindle, iPod and a bluetooth speaker on more than one occasion and had still only used 25% of the charge. This is very impressive, especially as it can charge two items at the same time (one slot is specifically for items such as tablets but you can recharge smaller devices in it as well) - larger items use more power but you should still get quite a few recharges from this product. The battery also doubles as a very effective small torch which will last a very long time but which is probably a bit unwieldy to hold for considerable periods because of the weight and the size of the battery (people with strong, large hands will be fine).

I can see that this would be a very useful product if you were travelling a lot or camping for a period. It could also be used where you have a number of people who might need to recharge devices over a day or so and who could share it. It is not light enough really to carry around in a bag just in case you needed it but it would fit easily into the glove compartment of a car or a suitcase.

The amount of charge remaining in the battery is shown by four blue lights which reduce in number as it empties. The battery is charged up itself using mini-USB cable which is included but you will need a plug if you want to recharge from the mains suppy. A cable with a number of different attachments is provided for you to charge your devices, or you could use your own cables. The battery could have done with a travelling case or container of some sort to store these as they are easy to lose. In fact, a case might have been nice to hold the battery and whatever cables you needed when out and about.

All in all, a useful, substantial and robust product.
on 12 June 2014
This is a great external battery. It's quite large and a little weighty, which may put some people off, but it means it has a solid robust feeling and, most importantly, it packs a great charge. I rarely charge my gadgets from the mains any more.

In fact it holds a pretty massive charge. The first week I got it I fully charged it off my laptop whilst I was sat working one day and then for the rest of the week I managed to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3 every day, my Samsung tablet once, my Kindle once and my wife's HTC One once or twice and I think it still had a little charge left.

I've had this since March 12th and I haven't charged my phone from the mains once in that time. I plug this charger into my laptop or my TV on a night and then just plug my phone into it. So, as far as I can see, this is free electricity! Well, kind of!

I used it on a recent two week road trip in California and it was a great help on the long haul flight - my tablet couldn't last the 10+ hour flight but that was no problem thanks to this! It was great for use in the car too.

It has two USB ports of varying outputs which is great for charging multiple devices; it comes with multiple cables and attachments for iPods/iPhones/Kindles/Phones/Tablets; it has a very effective torch built in (just double click the button); it charges very quickly; and it feels good in the hand, the coating is kind of soft. Nice touch.

After about three months the input connector seemed to stop working however. This may have been a fault with the product or something I caused by chucking it in my bag with the charger cable plugged in. I contacted the sellers just to ask for advice on getting it fixed and they happily sent me a free replacement and it arrived in 48 hours! I was so surprised and very touched. Well done guys. Great customer service.

If you have Samsung products, I would recommend getting one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E8AJ41E/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1 The Seller informed me that Samsung products charge very slowly when not plugged into the mains (I can confirm this from years of having Samsung phones) but this little 99p attachment makes them charge just as if they were plugged into the mains. It meant that my Samsung Galaxy Tab fully charged in less than an hour, instead of 3+ when just plugged into a computer.

All in all I would FULLY recommend this to anyone. It's cheap, super useful and customer service has been excellent!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
It's great to have a mobile device with GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 3G/4G, but these devices use up power at quite a rate, and one of the least convenient things about a mobile phone is having to plug it into the wall to charge. Even more so if you're out on a hike and there is no wall to plug into!

This charger comes in several sizes, and I have the black 13000 mAH version. That's 13 Amp Hours, or in real terms and after allowing for energy lost to heat around 9 hours of a 1 Amp current, which is a lot of charging. If you're using a tablet and you need more current, there's a 2.1Amp USB outlet too, and you can use both the 1 Amp and the 2.1 Amp outlet simultaneously.

It's quite a chunky unit, with a sort of rubbery coating and rounded edges, and with a minimal 4-light charge display, a "start charging" button (if you press it twice a white LED comes on that you can use as a rudimentary torch), the two USB outlets on an end and the micro-USB charging input on one side. That's it; it's functional and not at all flashy. Note that the unit charges at 1 Amp, which allows for better battery charge but takes longer - it will take about 12 hours to fully charge this pack from flat.

There are some cables included with the charger, including the vital micro-USB one to charge the unit itself. Not every possible form of cable is included (and - apparently due to licensing issues - an Apple Lightning charging cable is one of the cables not included). But of course you get the correct cable with your phone/tablet/whatever, so that's shouldn't really be too much of a problem.

The thing about a battery pack of this size is that it can keep a typical smartphone (I use a Nexus 4) going for about a week - depending on how much you use your phone, of course - and it can keep an iPad going for much longer than a typical 5,000mAH charger. It's definitely worth going for a higher-capacity pack like this, even if it is a bit heavier and thicker. It's still only about the same size as my Nexus 4, and about 2.5 times as thick.

Note: EC Technology kindly sent me one of these battery packs for review purposes.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had a number of battery backup products to review recently and I have rated most of them as 5 star products. This item is definitely a 5 star product. It has a real quality feel to it and is made from a rubberised type of plastic. It also has a very bright LED torch added to the unit which is very useful at night. For those who are not aware of what this product does, it is in essence a rechargeable battery powerpack that charges other items, such as my Android phone, sat nav, tablet PC, PSP etc. The product is quite small and relatively lightweight given the capacity of its enormous charge. The layout is very simple, on the front are 4 LED lights that indicate how much charge is left so as to charge other items, a on/off button, on the top of the unit are two USB slots and the LED torch light. To use you simply charge the unit using a USB port and then use the included cables to charge the item you want to charge such as a phone. On my test, I charged my Sony Xperia phone from empty to 100% charge in 1 hour 10 minutes, so equating to almost the same charge rate as plugging it into a socket. This charge also hardly dissipated the internal battery of the unit. I think the units' battery once fully charged, will allow 8 full charges of my mobile phone, giving the unit an enormous capacity.

Unlike other battery powerpack units I have tested, this comes with 2 USB slots, which allows for dual charging of a phone and a tablet PC at the same time. It also has a very useful automatic power off which kicks in when the battery you are charging is full or after being disconnected for one minute from the charged item. The unit also comes with two charging cables, unlike some other battery powerpacks I have tested, multiple connectors (but not the Apple connector due to patent issues with Apple), instruction booklet and guarantee card.

I am very impressed by the unit, how it looks and the quality of its construction. The item is backed by a manufacturers 12 month warranty and email help address. I cannot recommend this charger enough. It solves one of the most common problems with an ageing phone battery, in that it seems to run out when you are in the middle of nowhere and have no socket to plug it in. With this product you have a fully charged phone in less than 90 minutes. The pack itself has an enormous charge capacity and I have found it very difficult to dissipate it, whilst charging my phone. It also can dual charge two items which is simply brilliant.

This is a fantastic product, which I highly recommend.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Note: EC Technology provided me with this item free of charge. In exchange I agreed to give an honest review of it.

Weighing about 300g, with a hybrid plastic / rubber finish, this power bank has a massive 13000mAh capacity. There are four small LEDs on the front that indicate its charge status and a on/off button. It has two USB ports for connecting devices:

- USB Output 1 - 5V / 1A for phones
- USB Output 2 - 5V / 2A tablets

It also had a small LED torch light.

To charge it you'll need a USB wall plug (not included) and from empty it takes approximately 7 hours to fully charge. With a full charge it delivers a 150% charge to my iPad 2 and over 400% to my Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player. Charging my iPad from empty took about 3 hours as opposed to 2 hours when plugged into the mains and my Samsung Galaxy S charged at more or less the same rate. It's also able to charge my Samsung ST66 camera. You can charge two devices simultaneously and I also managed to charge two iPad 2 at the same time, albeit slowly.

It comes with a cable with interchangeable heads - Micro-USB, Mini-USB, replica Apple 30 pin and PSP. Personally, I have no use for them - it's easier to use the cables supplied with my devices.

This is an impessive power bank and an essential bit of kit if you go camping (when I'll be using it) or during the summer festival season. Alternatively, it's quite useful at home - there's no power socket near enough to where I sit, so if my charge is running low and I need to continue using my iPad, I just plug it into this.
on 5 May 2014
This review is for the 13000mAh version.

This was purchased for a long weekend of camping at a music festival, and it performed more than adequately. Provided two full charges for a Nokia 808 and kept three large smartphones ticking over for three days, which considering the amount of photos taken by all is no mean feat. Solid build, cables with firm connections. The only flaw is that it's impossible to see the battery status in direct sunlight, but this is nit picking. An absolute must for a festival goer.
on 20 November 2014
Initially I would have given this more stars, but after use you soon notice a few flaws.

The positives are as many people mention. It charges your devices quickly and efficiently and can manage smartphones such as the Samsung Note 3 with ease easily handling 4 or 5 charges from flat. The fact you can charge other devices at the same time is clearly beneficial, but I have found that some cables will not work and thus am only able to charge the one device using the supplied cable. The size and weight, although not ideal isn't a major issue for me, although big pockets would be required if you needed this out and about.

The negatives are small in number but of great importance. The device takes a very long time to reach its full charge, you'll be looking at 12 hours+ initially and that leads on to the next major issue. From the outset it wouldn't reach its full capacity of 100% and generally stopped charging when it reached 92%. Each month it managed less and less and 11 months down the line it can only reach a maximum of 54%.

All of this aside though I would still recommend the product based on the price, but do go into it with the understanding that it'll probably need replacing after a couple of years.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...