First of all I would like to point out that unfortunately Contour closed it's doors in August 2013. Their "presence" in CES 2014 still showcased the old 2012 cameras, so it does not seem that the company is operating yet. I do hope they will be back in business in the near future. Yet as consumers we should take this fact into account, as it means that there will be no support or firmware upgrades.

No doubt, this is a great camera. I have used it for a brief period and have got some outstanding video footage. Yet with the competition offering similar spec cameras I do feel that this camera is too expensive ... at least in Europe.

I just cannot understand why we should pay twice the amount of the "new" suggested retail price in the US! "New" to a certain extent as the price has dropped by 50% over a year ago.

This model is over 2 years old now, and even though it offers some useful unique features like the front physical rotation ring and a laser to align the camera (useful for helmet mount), many other brands are offering the same bullet design and great image quality. Some have gone even further and offer a waterproof design. This camera requires the use of the supplied waterproof case.

As far as video footage goes I think it still is one of the best, yet the still pictures disappoint. And whilst the camera can take dedicated removable batteries, the battery life is a bit of a letdown. Add GPS and bluetooth to that, and the battery drains very fast!!

I do have a number of sports cameras, including the GoPro 2, Rush, and the very cheap TCL SVC 200 and whilst the video quality is not as good as the Contour, I simply cannot justify the price difference. I'd rather wear a cheaper camera and not be so worried just in case it had to fall and break. To be fair the Contour is very robust, yet the beautiful finish could easily be ruined in case of a crash.

So I have to rate this product 3.5 stars due to the following cons: Company out of business, price, photo quality, battery life and the couple of mounts included (both of which have adhesive tape)

If you are ready to live with these shortcomings, than this might be the camera for you. As for me, I'd look elsewhere.
on 14 May 2014
Contour are back in business! You can get support/firmware updates etc.

I have an older Contour and purchased Contour+2 recently. There has been a big advance in technology in the +2. The pairing of bluetooth is much better on contour+2. Video and sound quality is excellent. I use Final Cut Pro to edit and splice in footage from a broadcast quality handheld Canon HD camera. You cant tell the difference between the contour or the canon on final edits!

You should invest in mounts. As we have had contour for a while we have built up a few - i have two permanently on the motorbike, one on my helmet, one on a google strap, the kids have mounts on their bmx helmets and we have suction mounts for the car. All good. Very easy to take cameras off/on. Only problem is we probably need a few more cameras to give us that multi-POV that we can cut in. Need to save up some more pennies.

I like the contour as it has a low profile on the helmet or bike. so unobtrusive. (unlike the go pro. which every time i see one i'm reminded of the Dudley Moore line....."there good but their boxy")

Battery life is ok. Though if you have a 64GB card you will need two batteries if you are shooting continuously. Its normal. I'm always carrying batteries for other gadgets. Unfortunately cameras just chew batteries.
on 19 September 2014
To be honest I think this was over priced when I got it. I've had mine for around 10 months now and cost nearer £300. I can say there are others on the market that do what this can do and so much more at a lower price.
That being said, its still a great quality camera that gives very clear videos.
The one thing I would mark it down on is the microphone. Its on the front of the camera, so on bikes when riding into the wind, all you hear is static wind noises. So if you want sound, I suggest getting an external mic.
on 10 January 2014
For all those worried about the other reviews saying they are out of business, Contour are now back in business so hurry up and buy this camera before the price goes back up!
on 9 December 2013
1.0 out of 5 stars Be aware, 22 Aug 2013
Nick Woodbridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contour +2 HD Handsfree Action Camera (Electronics)
Contour have gone out of business and therefore there will be no updates for any if the software from now on, no warranty, no support, lack of parts if anything goes wrong, lack of mounts supply. . .

From contour.com:
Happy holidays to all and thank you for continuing to support CONTOUR. It has been a difficult time, as you may have read, but we are getting closer to being able to provide you with the support you deserve for the world's best sports camera! The shop will be open soon, so stay tuned for new announcements.