5.0 out of 5 stars A crowning achievement
Every since her 1999 debut 'Dog leap Stairs' through the Mercury nominated 'Little Black Numbers' and he collaborations with neill MacColl and myriad other projects, Kathryn has been one of the UK's most consistently excellent singer songwriters. This album, her tenth, seems to be the culmination of all of her work so far. There is a deep emotional strength in the music,...
Published 22 months ago by DogFacedBoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite live up to the hype.
Published 21 months ago by A. D. Sefton

5.0 out of 5 stars Matchless, 6 July 2014
Neil Barnes (Norwich, Norfolk England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
Darkness Light is, I think, the best track on here... But as someone almost wrote above, although it's pretty nigh impossible to imagine it, given the quality of her back catalogue (Old Low Light, Little Black Numbers, all the way back to the amazing Dog Leap Stairs), this is perhaps Kathryn's best album yet. She's the best thing to happen to the British singer/songwriter genre in at least 25 years. Buy it today!

4.0 out of 5 stars Crown Electric, 5 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
A wonderful intro for me into Kathryn Williams. Folk pop but not too poppy with a lovely ethereal quality. She is a bit mournful in some of her lyrics but that's what a soloist is always going to risk I suppose. The tunes and lyrics are well written and thoughtful however and remain with you for some time after listening; a splendid addition to my CD collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Consistently Beautiful, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
With a back catalogue like Kathryn Williams' it is unfathomable that she is not more universally recognised. This album is perhaps her most consistent, which given the consistency of her output is really more of a compliment than it seems. Some of these songs have a timeless quality that make it sound like an album of folk standards rather than new compositions. Truly, gorgeously understated.

5.0 out of 5 stars More more more, 14 Dec. 2013
Mr. A. Mowatt "humour magnate" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
Kathryn Williams voice is sweet and inviting for easy listening on a cold night.
I have seen her perform live and she engages with her audience(s) every time. She is. Multi instrumentalist and songwriter.
Having purchased a copy of each of her previous CD'S I can recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10th time lucky?, 8 Dec. 2013
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
I'd been aware of folk singer-songwriter Kathryn Williams for a few years, but only became particularly interested in her music when I saw her perform as part of a charity concert in East Sussex in late 2012. Directly after that excellent performance, I bought a handful of her most highly rated and critically acclaimed albums and enjoyed them enough to buy her new album when it was released this year. After giving "Crown Electric", her tenth studio album, a few listens, I wasn't disappointed at all, although it does probably have more of a commercial feel to it than anything I've heard from her back catalogue. That's not necessarily a criticism and I'm mindful that I haven't heard everything that she has released, but one of the things I particularly like about Williams' material is her edge, which is a little more disguised on this release. If this is a conscious attempt to release something which will receive more radio play then I think it is likely to succeed, but it does sometimes walk a fine line between delicate, crafted, gentle arrangements and simply being a bit overly pretty and twee. That is my one and only negative opinion about this impressive, masterful collection of songs which many consider to be her best yet. I also believe it to be her finest album, but that is based on comparing it to four other releases, rather than her entire back catalogue.

The first absolutely brilliant track on "Crown Electric" (named after the place that Elvis Presley worked before hitting the big time) for me is "Count", a superb, richly melodic piece and "Monday Morning", which is also a very catchy, toe-tapping and enjoyable song. "Darkness Light" is a beautiful composition with a delicate vocal performance from Kathryn and a lovely arrangement for strings; it's one that I've played over and over again, although I'm not sure that the bit where she virtually shouts the word "shadows" really works. The gorgeous "Morning Twilight", co-written with Ed Harcourt, is a sublime performance of a beauteous composition and "Tequila" has an absolutely irresistible fragile melancholy. "Sequins", also co-written with Ed Harcourt, is my last pick of the album, the piano motif and general feel of the track reminding me a little of Costello & Bacharach's "Painted From Memory", albeit a little more understated. It's all very aurally picturesque, certainly very easy on the ear and is a beautifully recorded and performed piece of work. The strings, arranged by Ben Trigg, that adorn the album augment the songs well and the intelligent lyrics make you think more than most, in order to decipher their meaning. If this album packed full of enjoyable, accessible songs doesn't catapult her into the big time, then nothing else probably ever will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite live up to the hype., 21 Oct. 2013
A. D. Sefton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Crown Electric (Audio CD)
I tried to pre-order Kathryn's new album being a long time Geordie fan who was hooked all those years ago by 'Dog Leap Stairs'. Her last album 'The Quickening' was, for me,the most sublime example of Kathryn's exquisite songwriting which showcased her unique voice perfectly. Something went wrong with my pre-order, and I have only just received 'Crown Electric'. While I've been waiting, I have read all the glowing reviews with almost unbearable anticipation. I've given the new one 5 spins so far and it's a beautiful album but, for me, it is not as strong as its'predesessor. 'The Quickening' remains my favourite KW album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Jun. 2015
Very good play

Crown Electric
Crown Electric by Kathryn Williams (Audio CD - 2013)