This is another top drawer release from the latest batch of CDs in the now legendary Backbeats series. Most of the featured tracks are from the mid and second half of the Seventies and there's an abundance of funk, soul and jazz vibes.

Hubert Laws' 'Family' features some cool bass grooves and a flute break and Debra Laws sings the lyrics with the passion they deserve. Lalo Schifrin's 'Theme from Hong Kong is 4 minutes & 13 seconds of frantic robotic funk featuring an overload of horns and woodwind. Shuggie Otis is bissfully out of his head on the laid back 'Aht Uh Mi Hed' and Linda "Tequila" Logan's cute vocals on Larry Young's Fuel's 'Turn Off The Lights' have gotta be heard to be believed - she sings like a woman possessed who knows exactly what she wants and she's determined to get it! 'Troglodyte' by the Jimmy Castor Bunch is an isane story of caveman lust. The lyrics and vocals put it in the novelty category but it's rescued by a killer funk beat. The Modulations round out the album with the social commentary of 'It's Rough Out Here' that sounds more Blaxplotation than the Philly Soul they're normally associated with.

Clocking in at a generous 75:42 minutes, this is a welcome addition to the series and, considering the near give away price, it's a no-brainer purchase.
on 6 September 2013
I'm not funk expert but I like this. Plenty of tracks to dance to, with some real classics that even I have heard, or heard samples of in other tracks. Great value.
on 17 August 2013
I was a little dubious buying this as I have bought some Backbeats before, and some had such obscure, specialist tracks I wasn't that keen. However after reading the reviews, and as its ridiculously cheap I got it (the CD is cheaper than the MP3, and with Autorip you get both for the CD!).
Great tunes had me foot tapping and chair dancing (eh?) in no time. Some very funky tracks.
I did recognise "Sneaking up Behind You" from the Brecker Bros, and quite a few tunes used as samples, thinking "Ah that's where its from!".
Well done Backbeats.
By the way, the CD will arrive in a day or two - I love Autorip!
on 8 September 2013
This album is packed with gems from back in the day - never ageless or timeless and a great way to reminisce
on 22 May 2013
I just knew that this was going to be something special.The release date kept being chopped and changed causing much unwanted anxiety but yes, it's finally here and represents all that is great about a Backbeats compilation - top notch tunes for a very affordable price.

Stand out tracks for me Bernard Wright's Hobglobatrobin, Shuggie Otis Aht Uh Mi Head...just endless...tunes that take me back to the vibes of London's Rare Groove scene of the late 80's.

This release comes highly recommended, especially for those who may be into collecting compilations by DJ's like Norman Jay and Gilles Peterson. I think this particular album is an essential purchase.
on 2 September 2013
yes another good compo with a good cross section of tracks couple of items i did not remember so nice to hear again
on 17 July 2013
Great compilations of tracts with a mix of funk, soul and jazz . Good price for some very good music.
on 7 October 2013
Backbeats, what can I say, thank you for restoring my faith in the indie music industry, all of this for just 3pounds.

Its a deal, it's a steal, it's sale of the f*@≠ing century
on 1 October 2013
This album has some rare groooves on it . Some top old ones, some that you could say I remember that tune, and some unknown. They do a series of different styles of music on this label so I will be checking some of those.
on 18 May 2014
good funky good time , great tunes on here for such a small amount of money , paid more for just one single years ago , buy it recommended