4.0 out of 5 stars Warm, feelgood & well-written: spoilers!, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Witches of Dark Root (Daughters of Dark Root Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The story follows Maggie as she returns to her home town to reunite with her sisters and learn some things about herself and her past.

Things I liked:

-It was well-written, ( only a couple of misplaced POV head hops to mar it), with an easy, smooth, honey-like flow to the prose.

-The story was interesting, as was the background. The characters did what they were meant to do: Maggie was exasperating but likeable, Eve annoying, Merry the sister you always wanted. Dark Root was well depicted; you could get a feel of the place and want to be there.

- I really liked that the focus was the family and the sisters. Such a change from romance romance romance violence violence gore. The author created a warm family feel that you wanted to be part of, and the whole book felt quite Joanne Harris 'Chocolat'.

- Maggie was chubby! Loved this, sick of all the beautiful swan-like sex goddesses in fiction. Sure, it might be due to the the thing revealed at the end, but still, hurray for a non-perfect heroine!

Reservations:

Not many of these. The only things that didn't sit very well with me were as follows:

- Maggie was such a strong minded no-nonsense thing. I couldn't see her joining a cult.

- There was a whole big scene where Maggie was almost raped and murdered, with no follow-up. Such a huge event wouldn't just be glossed over, surely? I'm not sure why this scene was in the book, since she didn't really react to it, none of them did. It seemed a bit extreme, just for the purpose of having Shane find her again.

-Michael and the love potion. The author sets the situation up wonderfully: we hate Leah and Michael and we really don't want Maggie to take him back, the cheating rat! We are glad when she refuses him and he gets his comeuppance. Then it transpires that he was Leah's victim- what are we supposed to make of him now? Are we supposed to feel sorry for him or think maybe Maggie should've gone back to him? I felt this took away the impact of that situation.

Summary: overall, enjoyed it and would recommend. I'm actually going to buy the second one, and it's rare for me to be tempted into a follow-up purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining Vivid Characters!!, 13 Sep 2013
Thoroughly enjoyed reading about the sisters return to Dark Root,their childhood home,rediscovering their family roots and their sibling bonds and rivalries,very vivid characters and a delightful read to recommend....could be the start of an excellent series or just as a stand alone book worth dipping into...not so much magic but the suggestion of something backing up the portrayal of family bonds !!

4.0 out of 5 stars More about sisterly love than witchcraft - but all the better for it, 4 July 2013
I am not a fan of fantasy .. I like my novels entrenched in the real world and can't be doing with witches, wizards or vampires (Harry Potter excluded!) so while The Witches of Dark Root, which was recommend by a friend, intrigued me I did approach it with some trepidation, and for the first few chapters my resistance to all things Magick looked set to be proved correct. Yet once I overcame my prejudice about this kind of thing, I was reeled into the storyline and thoroughly enjoyed learning about the witchy sisters Merry, Maggie and Eve.

The story begins with Maggie at Wood Haven, a cultish religious community founded by her boyfriend Michael. Being completely non-religious my heart sank at this point as I thought this was going to be the focus of the book, and I was very relieved when I realised it wasn't! Maggie discovers that Michael is having an affair with another cult member, the poisonous Leah. Coincidentally a message has come from home that her mother is ill so, with the help of her friend Jason, she decides to leave Wood Haven and pay her family a visit - the first since she left several years earlier. (By the by, I thought Jason seemed rather sweet and was puzzled why Maggie didn't spend more time with him - they seemed perfect for each other!)

When she arrives home Maggie discovers that Dark Root, once a bustling town, has fallen on hard times, apparently because of the illness of her mother. Though she's delighted to be reunited with her sisters (and new found niece) after so many years, Maggie is adamant this is only a flying visit .... But when it's suggested that they organise the annual Halloween festival in an attempt to breathe new life into the town, she feels she has to stay, and when the sisters discover there's an ancient curse on their home they learn how to use their Magick for good and overcome demons and family mysteries.

I think what worked for me in this book is that it's not so much about witches and Magick as about family bonds and sisterly love - the Magick is just an element of their Iives rather than the focal point. In fact, despite being anti-fantasy I think I'd have liked to learn a bit more about the sisters' abilities and how they had first discovered them! I felt the characters of the sisters came through strongly - Maggie, Merry and Eve were all very different. And I loved June Bug, though their Aunt Dora, with her strange way of speaking, annoyed me. I also felt there were characters who needed further development - Leah, for example, is key to the main plot yet never came across very strongly and bows out like a damp squib. There were also some events that should have been a big shock or surprise that were just accepted without a second thought, which struck me as a bit strange, but overall I did enjoy this book and will definitely look out for the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A housewife nightmare!!!!! be warned., 21 Jun 2013
Maggi Maddock (the protagonist) is as human as they come, despite the work of magic she lives in, whom I quickly warmed to. But with this book comes a warning - it is a housewife nightmare - once I was only a couple of pages in I could not put it down, the chores were left undone and the shopping waited till another day. I finished it over the course of two days. The plot is fast paced and a roller coaster ride for Maggi but no spoilers here, lets just say it deals with real issues of sibling rivalry and the pain of ageing parents in a magical and mystical setting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 25 July 2014
4 rating. loved this book. lots going on keep,s you wanting to read and not put down. a nice ending but you know there's more to come. and you want the next book to see what happens next. I know I do.....
to other readers don't miss out read the witches of dark root.