5.0 out of 5 stars Show some respect!
Anyone who approaches this album wanting something similar to The Police or Sting at his most mainstream should probably stop looking at this item now and go and replay their favourite albums instead. However, if you are open minded for something different from Sting (and let's face it, the last few albums have all been "something different" and I would forgive anyone...
Published 11 months ago by A. Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I've been a massive Sting fan for years and used to eagerly await his new work. Sadly, in my opinion, the quality of his albums has diminished since Ten Summoner's Tales in the early 90s. Mercury Falling was a great album but not quite as good as TST. Brand New Day was great in places but the production of Kipper with his modern dance beats and over the top production...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. C. R. Walker

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Sting, I want to keep loving you, but..., 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
As a Police and Sting fan, I feel 'Ten Summoner's Tales' was his last great album and they've gotten progressively worse. 'Mercury Falling' and 'Brand New Day' were quite good, but 'Sacred Love' was the first to genuinely disappoint me. 'Songs from the Labyrinth', 'If on a Winter's Night' and 'Symphonicities' were a waste of time, in my opinion.

And now comes 'The Last Ship'...

Frankly, Sting's talent for melody has irrevocably diminished. His music has tragically become derivative and mediocre. He rarely "sings" any more. His voice seldom soars. These days he mostly gruffly speaks in beat, with an arrogant affectation or patronising accent.

I'm 43 now and I find it difficult to know how to feel when my aging musician heroes insist on releasing albums. Every artist peaks and Sting is no exception. I haven't purchased this album, but have listened to it many times. It's a depressing experience, a harsh reminder that Sting is older and I am middle-aged. I can honestly say it's mostly a dull album and it indeed makes me long for 'Nothing Like The Sun' or 'The Soul Cages' instead.

'The Last Ship' is a good track, 'Practical Arrangement' and 'So To Speak' are pleasant... The rest is utterly forgettable.

I used to have a completist mentality, where I`d buy every album from my favourite artists, regardless of their quality. This album is a wake-up call: I will no longer do that and in fact, I'm going to get rid of albums that I bought for this reason.

I'm now considering where my Sting collection ends: Mercury Falling? Brand New Day? Sacred Love wasn't great, but at least it's still a pop/rock album.

Sadly, I won't be purchasing The Last Ship.

To Sting... I bid you farewell.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Sep 2014
Interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
Very pleased

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 9 April 2014
Stephen Mccarthy "pigyard" (Northampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I used to like Sting a lot but he's now trying too hard. If you want to hear a good Geordie story then listen to Mark Knopfler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, masterful album from a legend of song, hugely misunderstood..., 13 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
Having been a Sting and Police fan for many many years, and after hearing Stings last albums such as Songs from the Labyrinth and On a Winters Night, which were a bit of a departure for Sting and not completely to my expectations, yet still wonderful and talented music (especially the utterly sublime 'Live From Durham Cathedral'), I was a bit apprehensive about this latest album from Sting. I have waited what seems like a very long time for a 'proper' gathering of songs from one of the greatest singer/song writers ever, the last and most impressionable album being Sacred Love. I have read quite a few negative reviews on The Last Ship, but upon getting the album and playing it for the first time, through headphones, my mind and soul was just swept away across the waves of joy with the hearing of every song. So joyous in fact was this album upon my ears and my state of mind, that I listened to it twice in a row, something I have never done before with any other album in my life. The songs, style, approach, wonderful uplifting shanty arrangement and accents are just utterly, utterly brilliant. This is indeed a different style for Sting and yet at the same time a return to some of his roots in both his song writing genius and personal life. Of special mention are the tracks 'The Night The Pugilist Learned How To Dance' (simply genius), 'The Last Ship' (it's wonderful Christian gospel-inspired opening lyrics), 'Ballad Of The Great Eastern (a typical wonderful Sting story-telling song)' and 'So To Speak' (featuring the beautiful voice of Becky Unthank). This really is a truly misunderstood album as many were expecting something different after such a long wait, more 'main stream' or 'regular' even, but in the end, what we have got is something that only comes along maybe once a decade. A fantastic, enduring, joyous arrangement of songs from a man truly gifted in music!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and songs sung in a northern accent, 11 Nov 2013
After waiting many years for new material this album is disappointing and quite boring. Even worse is that Sting sings the songs in a northern accent and not his normal voice which is irritaiting.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Ship., 1 Nov 2013
Fab to be offered a special version. Very prompt delivery. Thinking of more As Xmas pressies! I do not want to say more!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars ha-way......, 31 Oct 2013
Real Tyneside this......shipyards shout out at you, with most tracks based on the shipworks of this ex capital of ship building.
I enjoyed this album, my first Sting purchase, and really loved the tracks with Jimmy Nail on. If your a native of the North East, and know and love the area around Newcastle, then this CD is probably fine for you, if not, then I suspect a lot of people would struggle with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting melodies & Tales....., 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
Tells a great story. I can understand how it will succeed as a musical. A very nostalgic and sometimes touching album that brings to life the shipyards and hardships which were part of life & death surrounding them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 16 July 2014
Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 121 22 23 24 | Next ›

The Last Ship
The Last Ship by Sting (Audio CD - 2013)