5.0 out of 5 stars Show some respect!
Published 13 months ago by Andy Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great
I've been a massive Sting fan for years and used to eagerly await his new work. Sadly, in my opinion, the quality of his albums has diminished since Ten Summoner's Tales in the early 90s. Mercury Falling was a great album but not quite as good as TST. Brand New Day was great in places but the production of Kipper with his modern dance beats and over the top production...
Published 14 months ago by Mr. C. R. Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Show some respect!, 18 Nov 2013
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Anyone who approaches this album wanting something similar to The Police or Sting at his most mainstream should probably stop looking at this item now and go and replay their favourite albums instead. However, if you are open minded for something different from Sting (and let's face it, the last few albums have all been "something different" and I would forgive anyone for losing patience with Mr. Sumner) and have a liking for either folk or theatrical music, then you may find much to please you here. "The Last Ship", for me, is the best piece of work that Sting has released for a couple of decades. It is very much a concept album, based on the Tyneside shipbuilding industry and the characters who populated it. Musically, it's generally quite a gentle album, but exceedingly rich with melody, interesting arrangements and instrumentation. Lyrically, it's outstanding; each track is musical storytelling at its finest and it's intelligent enough to give the listener food for thought yet accessible enough to recognise and empathise with the songs that tug at the emotional heartstrings for differing reasons.

Nearly everything on "The Last Ship" is superb and there are only one or two tracks which took me a few listens to be convinced of their charm. Nearly everything else was almost instantly likeable and my love for these eclectic collection of songs grew each time I listened to the album. There are many songs here that I would count amongst my personal favourites. "Practical Arrangement", for example, is probably the best song that Sting has written for many years. The powerfully emotive title track is superb (as well as the reprise), "August Winds" has a beautiful subtlety and "Ballad Of The Great Eastern" is folk storytelling par excellence. "I Love Her But She Loves Someone Else" is absolutely gorgeous and Sting is in particularly fine voice on this track, but it has to be said that he gives an absolutely excellent performance on each very different track. The special guests (Jimmy Nail, Brian Johnson, Jo Lawry and Becky Unthank) also work very well indeed on their respective songs and give the album the characteristic of having a rather versatile supporting cast of players.

I admit that this isn't going to be for everybody and it's the kind of work that polarises the listener - it's probably going to be either a love or hate reaction when you hear it. For me, it's a very genuine love for this heartfelt tribute to Sting's native North-East of England. I bought the deluxe version of the album which, for a little extra money, gets you an additional CD with eight more tracks, some of them different versions of songs from the album featuring other artists, some of them completely new songs; all of them are excellent (well, "Jock The Singing Welder" perhaps isn't quite as good as the others, maybe the only "ouch" moment on both discs) and are well worth the higher price you pay for the second disc. All-in-all, this is one of the most remarkable albums I have heard all year and I admire Sting greatly for having the courage to write and release something as different and unconventional as this; even if this isn't quite to your taste, it is difficult to ignore the creativity and artistry behind this project. It could have easily backfired and given his critics further ammunition, but I'm of the opinion that this is actually one of the best things he has ever put his name to and is certainly my favourite Sting album since the underrated "Mercury Falling" from way back in 1996.

5.0 out of 5 stars an experience not to be missed at all costs., 23 Dec 2013
this album is the best album ive heard in the last 20 years. this is stings best album its not really an album but the music from a play about the lives and times and conditions in the newcastle shipyards.
the lives the characters put together with jimmy nail. and others. please watch bbc
i player THE LAST SHIP.
a live performance with the most amazing ensemble you can see and get the flavour of this phenominal project.
please dont miss out on a once a lifetime experience to watch and hear a wonderful performance.
this is a story where you can appreciate a true wordsmith whose rhyme and use of words will not be surpassed.
i hope you enjoy this as much as i have. get the mp3 download as the cd version only has 10 tracks only half the story. the mp3 download has the full 20 tracks. hope this helps you make a wise decision.
many thanks. MICK COUSINS.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great cd!, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I have a certain partiality to Geordie accent, stories and locality. That's why I moved up here from London. I also spent some time working in a dockyard in Wallsend where Sting was born and brought up. So this CD was especially interesting to me. I particularly liked the songs "What Have We Got", "The Language of Birds" and "So To Speak" being very evocative of the area. And the title song "The Last Ship" especially so as I got to see the streets of Wallsend that back onto where the Swan Hunter ship building yards were and to relate to the idea of the ship gradually growing and blocking out the sunshine on the streets until it was launched and the street would be flooded with light and sunshine again!

Even if you have no affinity with Newcastle, you'll love this cd. I guarantee it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flawed genius, 23 Sep 2013
Mr. K. Grewcock (Salisbury , England) - See all my reviews
It's quite an eclectic selection of songs yet united by the maritime theme. There are some very beautiful songs, typically thoughtful and sometimes profound. It's wrong to criticise if you're looking for a pop/rock album, it's just not that. It's hard to review properly because Sting 's vision is for a play but the mental scene is clearly set to great effect. There will be scoffing at Sting' s detour into his native tongue but I think it's a good piece of music not really intended for his own repertoire. At the end of the day I've found it strangely uplifting and I'm curious to see what the legacy will be. It's been playing all day in the van and while Sting is flawed, even by his own admission it's a sublime and strange bit of genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better that Synchronicity!, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
Yep you read that right. In my opinion this is the best album Sting has ever made. It so warm and passionately written. Sting sounds fantastic singing in his native Geordie. You can tell he is doing exactly want he wants and not letting anything influence him

Everyday since I brought this album I don't think a day has passed without listing to a song of it. To me a sign of a great album is when your favorite song changes. When I first got this I couldn't get enough of Dead man's boots. Now I can't get So to speak out of my head.

In a day and age when manufactured pop music dominates the charts this album to me was such a breath of fresh air. As you are unlikely to ever here any of these songs on the radio, I couldn't recommend anymore that you buy this album. I promise you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Ship - a Great Ship, 4 Nov 2013
Mrs. C. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I saw Sting perform one of the songs from this album on TV and bought the album on the strength of one track. I have not been disappointed. This is a fabulous album and it gets played a lot. His now older, slightly raspy, voice suits the mood of the album well. Personally I think this is his best for some time.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Last Ship, by Sting, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
Having watched this concert on television, really enjoying the eclectic mix of connected stories set to music and song, I decided the CD would be worth a punt! Stings charismatic vocals are still very much top notch, as are those of fellow gravel voiced "Geordie" Jimmy Nail. I would have given top marks, however the beautiful voice of Jo Lawry, who harmonized, and, on several tracks of the live airing sang duet with Sting, is sadly missing, this is unfortunately to the detriment of the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SHIP, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I was somewhat apprehensive about buying this album due mainly to the negative reviews about Sting's northern accent; but I relented and I am glad I did because this is in my opinion the best album Sting has made to date. There is not a bad track on the whole album - with stand out tracks Practical Arrangement (a stunningly beautiful, sensitive ballad, with Sting in fine voice; August Winds; As Yet and The Last Ship. There was a programme on BBC 1 last night with Sting in concert in New York and presenting songs from the Play upon from which the music comes...............and it was absolutely superb - hope it comes out on DVD/BLU RAY soon. In the meantime I like this album so much I've decided to buy the Amazon Super Deluxe version - which in retrospect I should have done from the outset. A truly outstanding piece of work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sting - The Last Ship - a truly outstanding album, best he's ever done, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Last Ship (Audio CD)
I am very much a fan of Sting's music from way back, so probably not very objective - however, notwithstanding that I truly believe this is without question the best collection of new songs Sting has ever bestowed upon us! In all respects, the lyrics, the melodies, the stories and characters, the instrumentation, they all meld together in a wonderful celebration of poignant, earthy, truculent and yet also truly sensitive music. I have not heard anything this good for years - from anyone, Sting or otherwise. And yet I was not sure at the first listening - these songs need to be listened to over and over again (on a very good sound system!), savored like a Mersault, or dark chocolate gradually melting on your tongue - Listen to the words, so simple and yet such poetry, they are just crafted together like they should never have been apart, and simply flow with the melodies, as one; and listen to his stories about people - so humble and simple, yet capturing all the depth of strong communities and desperate times. Listen to the love songs, tender and yet direct and unambiguous; and overall the creativity that is there in spadefuls throughout the collection - there is no bad song for me, this is truly an outstanding album - BUT IT NEEDS TIME TO APPRECIATE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Latest album, 29 Sep 2013
Excellent album = back to his Newcastle roots
The Last Ship track is thought provoking
Music is melodic and inspiring

The Last Ship
The Last Ship by Sting (Audio CD - 2013)