4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!
This headset is really good, mic is crystal clear, sound is pretty good. I love the amplifier, if your looking for a headset that isn't over the £100 then this would be a very good headset to consider buying.
However, it isn't the most comfortable headsets but its comfortable enough to be able to game hours on end.
Published 17 months ago by Jun

they do not work well in a usb3 port. :( unfortunately the only usb2 port on my laptop is on the oposite side from my earphone jack. The split cable end is just barely long enough to reach both ports, so i'm concerned how long would i be before the cable breaks because of the sharp bends in it. I could use it usb only, but then the sound quality drops significantly...
Published 6 months ago by Liene

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good!, 29 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Turtle Beach Ear Force Z22 Amplified Gaming Headset (PC DVD) (Personal Computers)

4.0 out of 5 stars A sound headset, 23 Jan. 2014
CJ (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a PC-centric headset, the Ear Force (yes, really) Z22 does a good job most of the time. I also own the Ear Force X12, AMZ FFP (Xbox 360/PC DVD), which is compatible with both my Xbox 360 and PC and I've always been happy with.

The Z22 cans are more expensive and are only PC compatible, so my expectations for a great audio experience on my computer were high. And it's fine, but for the money I think I was really expecting a bit more.

They are reasonably comfortable, but after a while I wasn't sad to take them off. Connecting up and using the headset is simple and the microphone works well, as do the built-in controls for volume and so on. The sound quality is great and very immersive in the right kind of game.

On top of that, you get a fair bit of connectivity, including the ability to plug in your phone and be able to take calls without stopping your gaming. I haven't used it as I'm too old and just don't get enough calls, but it's a nifty feature.

I can't knock the overall quality of this headset, but I would have preferred compatibility with consoles as well as the PC to make them more multi-purpose. Although these are apparently considered to be at the 'budget' end of the market, I think £50 is still a fair bit of cash, so it may be worth shopping around a little more to see what else is out there for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bang For Your Buck, 21 Jan. 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
These headphones are hands down the best headphones you can get for this price, if they are set up correctly having the option to turn the volume of your communication programs and games up or down separately without having to minimize the game is just amazing and so handy to have. The microphone quality is great and there is no annoying buzz through the speakers like the old turtle beach headphones.

I must say that having your phone plugged in and being able to take phone calls while you are playing by just switching the switch is awesome too, my parents to longer shout at me for not hearing the phone...

There is one thing that I must say about these headphones though, they are not very good if you want to record gameplay or livestream, they are okay if you want to record gameplay using DxTory as they have an option to record multiple outputs but for live-streaming is not the easiest thing, people who are watching will be able to hear you and the game but not anyone in your Skype call or teamspeak.

All in all, these headphones are great, if set up properly then they are perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headset enhanced by a great inline amplifier, 1 Jan. 2014
Alien937 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Turtle Beach's Ear Force Z22 comes in surprisingly premium-style packaging given its price point, and the headset itself is also more than acceptable. Though plasticky, it's lightweight, reasonably robust, and has breathable fabric on the earcups and headband. The headset is only part of the story though: one of the main attractions of the Z22 is its inline amplifier.

The amplifier connects via USB, which also powers it, while a separate connection to the headphone port on your PC/Mac needs to be made (the amplifier has an Xbox chat input port, so it should also work with Xbox, though I haven't tried it). In situations where you don't have access to a USB port, you can connect the headset directly, though obviously you lose all the functions of the amplifier unit. The amp has a little belt clip on the back and allows you to control bass, treble, and game, chat and mic monitoring volumes. There's an auxiliary input for connecting your phone or MP3 player, so you can use the headset for gaming and talking on the phone simultaneously, a capability that, on its own, makes the amp worthwhile.

Audio is nice and clear on the Z22, though lacking in the surround department (not something that particularly bothers me when it comes to headphones). The non-detachable boom mic sits wherever it's placed, picking up audio just fine, and the headset is comfortable to wear for long periods, helped along greatly by its lightweight construction and fabric-covered earcups. I like the amp's mic LED, which shows you at a glance the status of the mic, and its chat boost function, which increases chat volume whenever there's a significant increase in game volume. The headset's cable lengths are more than ample for PC use (apart from the auxiliary cable, which is a little on the short side for my liking).

In general, though, it's hard to fault the Ear Force Z22, especially since it comes with such a great, easy-to-use inline amplifier, and especially at the kind of price Amazon is currently selling it for. I imagine you'd be hard pushed to find a much better PC gaming headset out there for the same amount of dough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset. Ive used Turtle Beach headsets for years ..., 8 July 2014
Great headset.
Ive used Turtle Beach headsets for years and there have been some negatives on some of them which were used on consoles now i've got one specifically for the PC and this one is great.

The price is what sells this product because the price and quality are 5 stars, you can get better headsets for a higher price but if you just need a good quality headset for a reasonable price this is your headset.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Headset for the Price, 5 Jan. 2014
Positives:
- A pretty inexpensive headset at only £35
- Audio quality is decent for this price, considering they're only stereo speakers. Using the bass and treble adjustments on the in-line amplifier I was able to get music and games to sound really good. I've also owned 7.1 surround sound headsets in the past, and personally I find stereo to be just as good, don't waste money on surround sound, it really is a needless cost. With this headset in Battlefield 4 I was easily able to hear the direction sounds were coming from, such as helicopters and footsteps.
- Mic Monitoring is a really nice feature to have, and the main reason I went with Turtle Beach. The ability to hear my own voice on top of game audio is really nice as it saves me shouting down the mic or mispronouncing words because I can't hear myself.
- Mic quality is fantastic. I did a few recording tests and spoke to friends on Skype, my voice was perfectly clear without any popping sounds when pronouncing sharp words.
- This headset can also be used with mobile devices (including taking phone calls), a feature I personally won't use and haven't tested, but still good to have nonetheless.
- The headset cabling is thick and durable, it certainly won't snap easily. Also bear in mind that if you sit far away from your PC (for whatever reason), the cable probably won't reach as it's designed for those sitting close to their PC.

Negatives:
- The headset isn't particularly comfortable, but this is the same with most Turtle Beach headsets I've used (I've owned 4 in the past). The problem I find with this headset is simply the ear cushioning material. I previously owned a pair of Turtle Beach PX5's which were £100, and for some reason Turtle Beach always use the same cheap material for their ear cushions, even when buying a lot of their high end headsets. The 'breathable' mesh over the cheap foam makes the ear cushions very stiff on the head and nothing like memory foam or a pillow for example. I find that the sides of my head above my ear get clamped down and after a few hours I begin to get a headache, but this may just be me, although my head is average size. I've even gone as far as ordering some spare ear cushions from Turtle Beach's online store, ear cushions designed for the Turtle Beach Tango. I could not find any ear cushion sizing details, but I'm hoping that the leather/memory foam ear cushions for the Tango might fit the Z22, which hopefully will make it more comfortable.
- The headset uses a lot of plastic, and although it's still durable, it can feel a bit cheap.
- Despite me saying the mic is great, it does have one problem, background noise. When someone downstairs shouts for my attention, my friends on Skype hear it, and even my keyboard can be heard when typing, which is slightly annoying too. This is made even worse with the fact that I own a mechanical 'clicky' keyboard. However, 90% of PC headsets will pick up nearby keyboard sounds anyway, so I can't moan too much about this.

EDIT: I purchased and received some spare Turtle Beach Tango ear cushions which use leather and memory foam material, and they fit perfectly on this headset. I highly advise investing in some higher quality Turtle Beach ear cushions (which can be found from their eBay store) for around £6, they improve comfort immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing headphones for a great price, 13 Feb. 2014
Great quality, plenty of ventilation to prevent the headphones from becoming too hot, and a great price. You really can't go wrong with these - Turtle Beach goes way above and beyond

2.0 out of 5 stars When you manage to plug them in properly the sound is good tho., 12 Sept. 2014
When you manage to plug them in properly the sound is good tho.

Upd. They broke after just few months use. one side of them broke and the other one shows a crack in the same place. Will contact customer service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable, 11 Feb. 2015
This headset is almost perfect; the mic., amplifier and general headset work perfectly, however I can't use it for an extended period of time. After less than an hour of gaming I have a headache with pain behind my ears causing me to have to remove them and take a half an hour break. When gaming I find that it's acceptable to want to play at least 4 hours in comfort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent budget headset, 6 Jan. 2014
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
♦ Brief ♦

Was really impressed with the packaging, smart look and very well presented, but the positive impression I got from the quality of the packaging wasn't reflected on the first glimpse of the headset; whilst the headset is very lightweight, the ear cushions aren't made out of the most comfortable material and the headset overall felt quite fragile and to be quite frank, cheaply made. But to be fair on Turtle Beach, these are in the lower budget range, so I shouldn't have really expected such high quality.

♦ Set-Up ♦

When you first get everything out of the box, it does seem like you have to plug in a lot of cables, however it's not as bad as it looks, just follow either of the steps below:

- Phone: All you have to do is plug in the cable that's fixed onto the headset and plug it directly into your phone.

- Computer: Insert the amplifier cables into the computer (one in the USB port & other in the headphone jack), then plug the headset into the amplifier.

- Phone & Computer: Follow the computer steps above, then connect your phone with the included auxiliary cable and plug it into the amplifiers phone port.

♦ Mic & Sound Quality ♦

The microphone caught me by surprise, I did some voice recording through my phone and the results were very good, sound seemed clean and very crisp.

Sound quality I would say is above average, the sound is clear but there's nothing special about it and it most definitely can't handle much bass.

One issue I encountered is that the inline amplifier doesn't seem to make a difference... There are two control wheels, one for bass and the other for treble, but no matter how far I turn either one, I can't actually notice a difference in sound.

On a good note though, the amplifier has an option which allows you to subtly hear yourself when talking which helps me talk at an appropriate volume, rather than accidentally shouting because I can't hear myself.

♦ Comfort ♦

At first these seem pretty comfy as they are really lightweight, but after an hour these seem to ache my ears a lot, so they're not something I would use for long gaming sessions.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

Definitely not the best headset available, especially when it comes to sound & comfort, but it is very affordable.

So if you don't want to splash out loads of money, but want a headset that does the job, then this one is for you.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Z22 Amplified Gaming Headset (PC DVD)