on 17 October 2013
BOSCH GS-50

Pro's

After vacuuming with my Dyson yesterday I am surprised at the amount the Bosch has picked up today.
So yes this is ultra effective in the pickup & removal of dust, dirt & animal hairs . It comes with 5 ease push on, interchangeable tools.
The substantially built metal telescopic tube has an ergo grip handle `good idea' this rigid bend stops the hose from kinking. I like the automatic cable rewind which keeps the cable taut whilst vacuuming so it stops it from getting trapped under the doors etc. Another feature I like it the 4 Swivel wheels, so when it's laid horizontal it has an easy gliding effect for extra manoeuvrability. The vacuum itself is reasonably quiet.

Con's
This is a wide vacuum which does not stand unaided when cleaning stairs.
I found myself trapping it up against the upper step with my leg to stop it from falling. The ergo grip handle is `too wide' for my hand , I'm a medium sized woman. Plus the hose is exceptionally wide and none too flexible which makes it cumbersome. It has an on board tool storage which when attached makes this vacuum even wider, I've decided to leave it off.

All in all the pro's out weigh the con's I think this a very stylish & powerful vacuum, that lives up to its name as the Power Animal I would certainly recommend this to pet owners and allergy sufferers for its exceptional cleaning powers.
on 29 September 2013
This vacuum cleaner is certainly a bit of a beast when it comes to tackling dirt and dust.
The stylish looking cleaner has a hugely powerful motor that tackles pretty much any job with ease.Think your carpets are clean now? Wait until you try this cleaner - you'll be amazed ( and probably horrified ) at the amount of extra dust it picks up.

We've got two dogs and it's perfect for dealing with their hairs not to mention the assorted pieces of grass and lawn that they love to bring in with them. It's got a large container and a nice selection of attachments to go with it.
The only real criticism is that the lead can be a bit temperamental when rewinding but that's only a minor niggle.
The Power Animal certainly lives up to its name and I'd definitely recommend it for anyone one wanting a cleaner that can pack a serious punch!
on 2 May 2014
I have two very fluffy cats and this is much better than my previous bagless vacuum ( a well know cyclone brand). The first time I used it was immediately after using the vacuum i was replacing & it picked up fur that the other didn't so its obviously more efficient. Easy to store although I dont use the clip on the back also the tool storage on the pipe is a bit poor but to me this isn't a problem. The thing I really like is the fact that the beater is easily removed to get the cat hairs off the brushes. Much lighter & quieter than my previous vacuum and I've had no problems with the cord storage after I worked out what angle to give the power lead a tug to make it reel in. I have been using it for 6months & For me it ticks all the boxes.
on 16 August 2013
Did an excellent job at picking up cat hairs, especially on sofas and beds. Although the vacuum itself is quite quiet, the turbo brush is rather noisy but does the job quickly.

Dislikes: the onboard tool storage is pretty rubbish; the part that clips onto the pole keeps falling off and the storage facility for the extra brush on the side of the unit makes what is already quite a chunky object even wider so difficult to manoeuvre in small spaces.

Overall, first impressions are pretty good. Certainly better than my last one!
on 4 June 2014
This has to be the best vacuum ever... Had Dyson before, this beats it hands down, in suction, usability. The. Carpets have never been so clean, used the Dyson one day, then the Bosch the next, the vacuum was full after using it in house, less expensive too so everyones a winner..
We have a cat and a dog and 2 children so carpets take a battering this makes them spotless in no time.
on 2 November 2013
My word I've never had such a strong vaccy. It's great - all the cat hair in my carpets (which has been there for ever) is now gone. Only moan I have is the weight of the machine, but then again I have a willing husband to tote it up and down the stairs for me. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants a good reliable strong vac.
on 23 August 2014
Had this cleaner a couple of weeks now , i used to use two cleaners, a Dyson for carpets and a Henry type for the hard floors, when the dyson blew up i spent a couple of weeks trying to find a good carpet cleaner i made a short list of the ones i liked the look of but they all had some bad reviews, as the carpet had now vanished under a layer of cat fur ( i have three cats ) i had to make a choice so i went with the one that had the least bad reviews and i'm glad i did it's great,arrived with in a couple of day's of ordering,only a couple of pipes to snap together and away it went ,and more power than you could ever need, used it on full power the first time i used it because of all the cat fur, but now only need half power,didn't find it to noisy..is a little on the heavy side but with the handle on the end of the machine it's easy enough to carry upstairs. The only thing i have found a problem is when you use the turbo brush on full power it does generate static electricity and when i try to turn it down or off i get a shock from it.my husband has put a small piece of chain on the handle that touches the floor to try and earth it out.not pretty but it works.If you have pets this is the one for you.
on 25 April 2014
In terms of removing the thick one inch layer of hair deposited from our 3 pets (2 maine coone, 1 long haired collie), its truly awesome!

Once over and its done.

A few minor drawbacks are having to cut through the hair in the removal turbo brush head more often than I would like.

A little bit cumbersome over the stairs, and has a habit of taking the paint off our skirting boards during over exuberant cleaning.
on 23 July 2013
my initial reaction to this vacuum cleaner was "its huge and heavy). Then I discovered that it is very freewheeling, as it threw itself down the stairs after me, took a lump out of the wall, and hit me on the way down. The hose is enormous for some reason, and its very rigid so it keeps getting in the way. Half of me hates this vacuum, and I really wish I hadn't bought it. However, as it is so pricey, I have to keep it until it dies a natural death. As I run a bed and breakfast, I have 30 stairs to climb, and I have 4 dogs and 3 cats, it is a test for any machine. And so far, I have had 3 dysons, and 1 miele (bagged). This doesn't compare.. The good points are that it has good suction, the bad point is that as you turn it on and off with your foot, you turn up or down the suction and then you have to correct it (just another unnecessary action). Another good point is that it copes fine with all the dog and cat hair and the cleaning system for the brush head is quite handy. A bad point is that when you want to empty the dust box, its quite large, and you have to take out the top bit to empty, and then you end up with dust and hair all over the floor, which defeats the purpose. This is a Boy's Toy. Its big and clumpy and heavy. I don't know how you would cope if you were a little light person. The rewind pull system is a bit of a joke, if you pull it by accident, you end up with the vacuum going in reverse, or it pulls the plug out of the wall, and then when you want it to go in, it won't go all the way in, so you end up pulling it all back out again, and starting all over again.. Also when carrying it upstairs, it is unbalanced, so it bangs into your legs and against the wall all the time. All in all, I regret buying this vacuum.
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2014
I wanted another Dyson but the price was prohibitive. So this was the next best thing and the price was more favourable. Its a bit of a pain to manoeuvre, and the hose is stiffer and shorter that i would have liked. It does not reach up the stairs. Bosch claim that it sits on the stairs but not unless it is balancing on your knees. The power cord is also a pain. It does not always extend to full length - just pulls plug out of the wall and the auto retract is temperamental. Emptying the dust container is not easy as it retains dust. It does have a powerful controllable suction and reasonable tools, however they are not all on board and the ones that are keep falling off. Overall, performance is ok but a bit of a disappointment. Should have bought the Dyson. Generally we praise Bosch products, but this vacuum needs a few design tweaks.