on 1 January 2014
Nice bit of kit. Simple to setup and update the firmware. Just need to push and hold the side button and then wait until the white light starts to blink, wait a few seconds and then let the button go and then it goes into update mode. Connect your laptop to the Push2TV network, connect to http://192.168.3.1 and away you go...

The reason for 4 stars is that the Samsung S4 (which should work) does not connect...

Also, I'd suggest running it from the USB on the TV and setting the time out feature to off, that way after 30 minutes it will not go to sleep. The timeout is a feature of the most recent firmware update (2.4.26).
on 24 June 2014
Script from the video:

Time for one of my favourite programmes.

Should I watch it on the tablet...

...or on television?

Smart Device technology continues to evolve and one of the more recent developments is the ability to wirelessly stream content from your tablet or smart phone to a smart television. But if you don't have a smart television you can get a device like this.

It's a Netgear PTV3000 which is a wireless display adapter. It plugs into the mains for power and into your television via a HDMI cable. That sorts out the receiver. The transmitter is, obviously, your smart device and this must support something called Miracast.

If it does you can do this with, for example, a Nexus 7 2013 tablet.

Go to settings and then choose the display options. At the bottom of this screen is something called cast screen. Press that and then in this next screen press the three dots in the top right hand corner and check the 'Enable Wireless Display' option.

If the wireless display adapter is on the tablet should pick it up. Press on the device to connect the two together. The process is very much like pairing two Bluetooth devices together and once you've succeeded, the content on the tablet is transmitted directly to your television.

This isn't Chromecast where only certain applications are compatible, this is a direct mirror of your android device on your television.

When the two devices are connected you can swipe down on you notification tray to quickly disconnect the android device and the wireless adapter. But now the connection has been established, it's very easy to connect the two again by swiping down on the top right of the tablet to bring up quick options and selecting the cast screen option.

And that's all you have to do to get your content onto a television. Whatever you do on your tablet, the wireless adaptor will show it to you on your television. That includes rotating from portrait to landscape mode.

A couple of important and positive points to note at this moment are that this does not impact on the wifi capability of your android; it doesn't lose internet connection. And not only is the visual content streamed to your television, sound is too and it syncs perfectly.

In principle this is a fantastic addition to your gadget collection, but unfortunately it's not quite perfect yet. If the resolution of your android device differs from your television then you might encounter borders like you can see here with my hand up against the right edge of the television.

Secondly, applications can detect whether you are using wireless Miracast and can block the signal. For example, you can't use the SKY Go application to transmit SKY from the android device to your television, so you need to make sure the apps you use don't block Miracast.

Finally, there is a slight delay of maybe a third of a second between the android device and what's actually displayed on screen. This doesn't affect sound as that is delayed too but it does mean that playing games is impossible. But when you think about it, trying to play touchscreen games without looking at the touchscreen is just downright stupid anyway.

However, for those of you looking to use emulators and other interactive applications, this isn't really the solution. Wireless adaptors are designed to work with passive entertainment, which basically means watching stuff on your big television.

I'm afraid to say the technology doesn't seem to be consistent with different devices either. First of all, the connect method is always different depending on which android device you use. For my Samsung Galaxy S4 for example I had to go to my connections and choose screen mirroring.

That's acceptable of course; every android device has its own quirks. But what's not acceptable is the atrocious lag I experienced using this device.

You wouldn't want to watch that for long and when I tried to use Youtube, it just flat out refused to work. Even when using the BBC News app you can see the terrible delay.

So, in short, we all want wireless connections and the ability to watch stuff on big screens. But at around £50 the Netgear PTV3000 is gamble due to its patchy performance.

Give it a year though, and I think this technology will be perfected and readily available.

If you have any questions about this device or things you'd like me to test, let me know and I'll give it a try. Thanks for watching and I'll see you all again soon in another VGJFelix video.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 November 2013
Looking to stream your new Kindle Fire HDX, to that huge HDTV. Look no further, and just get one of these. Just set it up, and bingo! What a impressive little gadget. Simply brilliant! Anyway, I'm going to stop talking, and leave you alone to buy one.
on 4 January 2014
I bought this because my Panasonic Viera Plasma didn't have Miracast in it. Hence me buying it. It works very well with my Kindle Fire HDX on the mirroring in the menus. It is easy to use.
on 3 January 2014
Received today to enable me to Mirror my Kindle Fire HDX. Connected to TV no problem. Then it told me to do a software update and the address to get on their website, no problem. But a bit hit and miss working out the sequence to download and install with my desktop computer even though I am reasonably computer literate. Succeeded and after looking how I had done it, it looked pretty straight forward. Could be a problem for someone who is not knowledgeable. Don't think you really need to do the update if using an Android device.
Bought mine direct from Amazon at half the price it is showing from this seller.
on 4 August 2014
An excellent piece of kit for streaming smartphone and tablets to a big screen TV.

I've rated this with four stars rather than five because of the instructions.
Don't get me wrong, this is a relatively easy piece of equipment to set up, but, yes there is a but!
The instructions are very very simple and setting up this little gem doesn't require many steps, however not everyone is 100% tech savvy and the lack of a few extra words or clearer onscreen instruction can lead to some frustration for those of us that were not born in the more recent plugged in generation!

For the Kindle HDX. I can't comment on setting up other equipment because I'm using it soley to stream the HDX.
The instructions or lack of added an extra 45 minutes of set up and frustration.
Assuming the equipment is plugged in correctly it's only a matter seconds before your TV screen will display the set up page. At the top left of your TV screen there will be a small box showing a pictorial description of how to set up Windows 8 then Adroid devices followed by the Kindle, in principle it's a good idea but not so much in practice, the instructions roll along at their own speed and with no ability to slow them down, pause stop or rewind , if you miss something relative to the set up of your device there's nothing to do except sit and wait for the relevant instructions to come around again and hope that you see it clearly and long enough to get an idea of what it means!
The kindle HDX has one serious mis-direction , your TV will quickly show the start up display, it instructs you to the touch the Wireless display app on your tablet, so imagine me frustration when after repeated attempts my Kindle didn't appear to be 'seeing' anything accept my wifi internet connection!
After a few try's the instructions went in the bin.
when your TV display shows you the set up screen it will instruct you to open your wifi display on you kindle HDX....IGNORE that because it's incorrect, on you Kindle HDX look at the top left where it say 'Amazon' open that and scroll down until you find settings and open it, within the settings page there is a very clear option to allow streaming / mirror cast , just check that box, wait a few seconds and there you go, your Kindle HDX is now displayed on your TV.

The image is crisp and sharp with the audio being clear, if you want want more bass you might consider a home theatre surround system.

The unit itself is very neat, smaller than a pack of cards and about 1/4 of inch thick, in shiny piano black.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought the Kindle fire HDX 8.9" and of course I wanted to push to tv. Got in touch with amazon kindle helpdesk who advised this item. The ratings and reports were good so I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon uk. Three to six months waiting - what's going on. I wanted to take up amazon prime so was impatient looked at other amazon sites and ordered from Spain. Arrived within a week, a little more expensive but at least got it sooner.
Right now to set up - came in a huge box but the item was the size of a small pocket calculator (if anyone remembers them). came with a european two pin plug adaptor, USB to mini USB cable but no HDMI, you will need to provide your own. didn't use the adaptor or cable as the charging lead from the Wii to the Wii fit board is the same size and it powered up okay.
Now the fun begins, the instructions are rubbish, well I'll rephrase that they are not even that good. They are plentiful, several small books in different languages, leaflets etc. However the first thing they advise is to update the firmware by going to a netgear site. Now there are multiple sites given and when I managed to download something to the laptop - this took about an hour- it wouldn't open so gave up there.
I tried with the Kindle on it's own, much clicking on settings, wireless, wi-fi etc., but to no avail. This was now about 2330 pm after starting to try to get a result at 2130. I thought, here we go, another load of rubbish I have bought. Then I thought, ah-ha, try the Kindle Mayday button. Clicked on there, waited about half a minute, got through to an american or canadian lady who was very helpful and within a minute it was up and working.
Well done Amazon Kindle Mayday - yes I would recommend it, very easy to use if you know what you are doing - duh!
on 20 November 2014
This is one of the best things I've ever bought. And what made it better was I got it on offer at £26. My reason was to watch tv series and films.

I done a lot of research into this product, including pressing the mayday button on my hdx. The amazon team on mayday told me this is the only thing that will bring everything across from my hdx to my tv. So when I seen the price of £26 thought sure if it dosnt work, least I havnt paid the £50 is was at.

It came, so tiny, smaller than a deck of cards.! Ps, you will need to buy an hdmi cable to go from the netgear box to your tv, as this isn't supplied. Plug it in, turn your tv to the right channel, and just press the mirror button on your kindle fire hdx and the netgear will do the rest. Automatically comes straight across to your tv. Job done.
on 28 November 2014
Worked fine straight out of the packaging and was great until we got the little message saying channel 4 doesn't allow 4OD to be played back on a tv. After all the promises of being able to mirror your device. Shame that, but we're used to it by now.
So we now have a Panasonic "smart" tv that only has iPlayer, (which is why we bought this item in the first place) and a £40 box that is similarly limited. Isn't technology wonderful, all those glowing promises...

As I said, nothing wrong with this little gizmo, it works fine, but like everything else, the Kindles, Apple, Google and all those others that want the pie to themselves, it's the details that limit the technology. Wanting you to do it their way in order to put your money in their pockets is such a selfish business model. But hey-ho that's modern life...too late to stop now..
on 20 December 2013
I guess some people may have trouble connecting this up, I'm not commenting about everything. For me I got this to miracast movies from my kindle HDX to my TV which is a few years old now. It works just fine for that task. Small size doesn't take up hardly any space and wireless seems to pickup ok. I'm sure there are other devices that will miracast your kindle HDX to the tv but all I can say for certain is this unit will do the job.