on 8 July 2013
The latest release from Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo is just MAGIC!!
The band are a fantastic talent!
A litle more mature and straight forward than Almanac, with more North American Folk leanings this time around I feel.
The bonus disc contains acoustic versions of the album's songs, and provides a more folky, enchanted edge to the collection brining it a little closer to Almanac.
I cannot wait to see the band on tour this year, it will be a mesmerising experience
This could be a great Decemberists' album...
Now Emily Barker and the Decemberists, now that would be a tour to follow!
I think this is quite remarkably good. I hadn't heard Emily Barker before and I've plainly been missing out. This is an album of exceptionally thoughtful, atmospheric and musically fine songs with very good, original lyrics.

It's hard to categorize the style of this album (which is probably a good thing) but it has a sort of Americana feel but to me has a very English sound (Anglicana, perhaps?) - from an Australian artist, of course. The instrumentation of The Red Clay Halo is varied but is basically accordion, cello and viola with variations, and it gives a very distinctive sound which sets off Barker's songs perfectly. Her voice is very haunting and she can really put over a song, and the standard of musicianship throughout is consistently excellent. The production is great and the overall effect is a deeply involving, personal album which I find quite spellbinding.

The Limited Edition of Dear River includes a second version of the album consisting of acoustic demos. Usually I find such bonus material weak at best, but here it makes a terrific album itself. The stripped down versions of these songs, all apparently recorded in one day, are really good and in my view are well worth having.

I warmly recommend this album - I think it's something rather special.
on 10 July 2013
Another fantastic album from Emily and the girls. They just go from strength to strength. The addition of the acoustic tracks adds an extra wow factor to this great album. The track Ghost Narrative is my favourite.
on 14 October 2013
This acutely plangent record arrived today. If you care about vinyl sound, then you will love this pressing. Emily's voice is so directly recorded that the room feels filled with its urgency.There's almost no surface noise,just the warm clarity of the instruments surrounding the listener. 'I hope I know...'
on 13 September 2013
If you watched the Wallander detective series last year starring Kenneth Branagh, you will already have heard this lady sing on the theme tune used in the drama. Here is another set of original songs, sparsely sung in Emily's unique style. Highly recommended.
on 28 December 2013
I love Emily Barker, I had the good fortune of catching her live in Denmark Western Australia and her then current album Almanac is a favourite in this household. There are still some good songs here but they are rather 'blanded out' by the production (thanks for nothing Linn Records!) I read that this album came with a live acoustic version but my vinyl copy didn't have this; a shame.
on 7 January 2014
Take one Australian lass, transplant her to England, add three English lasses, and you have Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo. My first exposure to the band was through the Wallander series on PBS. The utterly haunting theme music is the song "Nostalgia" from the band's first album Despite the Snow.

Since learning of Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo, I have explored and immersed myself through their entire catalog of music. Their sound and style would be best and loosely described as folk, and there are hints and glimpses of numerous genres including bluegrass, madrigal, etc. Their first three albums are entirely acoustic instrumentation, and Despite the Snow was even recorded in 16th century barn in England!

Dear River is their fourth studio album, and was released in July 2013. With this album, the sounds and atmospheres explored by the band continue to grow, and some electric instrumentation is introduced for the first time. The band ventures into a slightly more modern sound infused with folk, rock and pop influences. The album's thoughtful lyrics follow earthy themes throughout the album, such as a water, land, blood, etc.

The album opens with the title track and a subtle introductory guitar riff with catchy back beats. It is followed by the peppy and string laden "Tuesday," and the slow and retrospective choral "Letters." The toe tapping ballad "The Leaving" leads into the subtle electric guitar of the peppy "Everywhen." The stripped down ballad "Sleeping Horses" introduces the album's folk-rock gem, "The Ghost Narrative." This is followed by country picking sound of "A Spadeful of Ground." The album then treats you to the slow and sweet sounds of "The Cormorant and the Heron" and retrospective "In the Winter I Returned." The album closes with the optimistic folk ballad "The Blackwood."

After being used to the all acoustic instrumentation of the first three albums, I will readily admit that I was initially resistant to the introduction of some minor electric instrumentation upon the first listen. This resistance of mine was utterly foolish and unfounded, as it more than complements the style and atmosphere of the songs, and "The Ghost Narrative" is now among my favorites tracks from the band.

The band also did something very unique with this album, where the listener can get the best of both worlds. They released a "Deluxe Edition" of the album which contains a second CD, called "The Dog House Sessions." It is a version of the entire album recorded on acoustic instruments. Emily is quoted as saying "we wanted to have a record of how the songs sounded in this bare acoustic form, similar to how we recorded Despite The Snow. So earlier this year we went into The Dog House studios near Henley-on-Thames and recorded all eleven songs live in one day."
on 28 February 2014
Quite simply this is a great album. It was another gamble on my part as not heard any of their music but again reviews were good so I took a chance and have not looked back. This was especially good as this version has lots of acoustic versions as well.
on 8 July 2013
The latest release from Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo is just MAGIC!!
The band are a fantastic talent!
This could be a great Decemberists' album...
Now Emily Barker and the Decemberists, now that would be a tour to follow!
on 6 February 2015
Great album. Strong songs, good arrangements and immaculate recording. The CD comes with a complete 'unplugged' version of the album, which i actually prefer. This is acoustic singer/songwriter material with a strong dash of Americana. Fans of the Wailin Jenny's or Alison Krauss will love this. VERY highly recommended.