Colour Name: Black|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 1 November 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions: nicely packaged, back rips off so no need to use scissors to get them out.

The headphones are quite plasticky, the backs look a bit like carbon fibre but are just plastic. If I had paid £100s I would have been a bit disappointed but the price point means that this is ok. The cable is very long at around a metre. Each ear has its own cable which doesn't bother me.

Sound: Wow. I have a pair of Sennheiser in-ears (MM30i) which I thought were great but the Philips 3100s just blow them away. The sound is incredible, with a deep bass and strong all round sound. I really didn't expect anything like the sonic quality they give out, so if you are looking for substance over looks I would totally recommend these. I kept on swapping with my Sennheisers to judge the difference, but there really is no comparison, the Philips desroyed them!

The DJ angle is a bit gimmicky, the swivelling ear pieces will let budding Pete Tongs do the one ear thing - lost on me but a nice to have for others. You get no volume or in-line control so the 3100s are not for you if you want to control an iPhone etc.

I put these on a friend of mine who reckons they are an audiophile and asked them to tell me what they thought. The verdict was pretty good, and he was astonished when I said they cost less than £30.

All in all I totally recommend these, if you are happy with sound quality rather than the materials used.

Highly recommended.
on 18 January 2016
Having had time to reflect (and also time to experience Philips diabolical customer service), I've downgraded my original 3 star review to 1 star.

The trouble with these headphones is two-fold:

Firstly, they aren't suitable for their claimed purpose (or at least not out of the box), which is supposedly DJ-ing. The cable is just way too short (a fraction over a metre), and the headphones don't come fitted with a 6.5mm jack or include an adapter. That's just not good enough.

Secondly, sound-wise, while they are OK, they aren't as good as some of their contemporaries.
Comparing them to Sennheiser HD201's, the 201's sound far clearer and more articulate, come with a 3m lead (three times that of the Philips) gold plated 3.5mm jack AND 6.5mm adapter and a 2 year warranty. And at the time of writing are cheaper than the Philips.

I own both. Listening to the Philips on their own, they sound adequate though not great. Listening to them side-by-side with the Sennheiser's there's no competition, so whether you're considering these headphones for DJ-ing or general music listening, stop considering them right now and buy the Sennheiser's.
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With every pair of headphones I have a handful of test tracks - New Order's 1998 remix of "True Faith", Kraftwerk's "Spacelab", and some classic Metallica from the 80's : and given the retail price, these are a good quality pair - neither amazing nor awful, with good solid reproduction that is faithful. The sound is a little tinny, airy, and bright for electronics, that is, there isn't very much bass, and there is some mild rustling - especially around the audio jack cable - but the sound is overall clear, and faithful - especially around the stereo panning and some of the background sounds that often lie buried in a mix.

There is some bleed, and if you wanted to listen to music very loud, I guarantee you i won't be long before someone who isn't you notices. There is some slight cheapness/compromise in build quality with plastics, and there is no audio control on the headphones or the lead, so not ideal, but at this price, for this sound, I can't knock these at all.
on 31 December 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've never been a particular fan of Philips products - they always seem to be lacking the quality of other well known brands like Sony and Panasonic. These headphones conform with my perceptions. The sound they produce is OK - neither top or bottom ends are over-egged as is so often the case with cheaper cans like these. But this results in a muffled sort of a sound, a bit like smearing your ears in vaseline. Despite being branded as DJ headphones, these are in no way suitable for a DJ! As well as the poor sound, the cord is too short for use other than for when you're out and about, plugged in to your MP3 player/phone - you couldn't realistically plug it in to your home system.
The final nail in the coffin for me is the sound leakage - being open-backed, the level of noise escaping in to your surrounding environment is unacceptably loud, meaning you will be likely to annoy your fellow commuters on buses, trains etc.
on 28 October 2014
I bought these from Tesco on sale for £15.00 and thought it would be rude not to at that price. I'll be clear, I have a solid appreciation for music. I have some very nice premium headphones from AKG and Sony for different things. I thought these would be okay for travel, if I lost them, so what?

The sound quality is about average. The bass isn't overly punchy or deep but is present and the middles and highs are fairly clear. For the money they're reasonable sounding. The build quality is tacky. Hollow sounding, brittle feeling plastics.

TL;DR
- Reasonable sound. Okay for travel.
- Good price for quality of sound.
- Bass could be richer.
- Look great from a distance.
- Feel cheap in the hand.
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These over ear headphones from Philips are a very light set that fold down for easy transport.

The sound is pretty good, not at the level of some of the better headphones we have (in ear or over ear), not really quite as sharp as the earphones that came with my sons Ipod Touch 5 recently (a little more muffled with a little too much bass). They are however very decent when the very low price is taken account.

The build quality isn't amazing, they don't feel all that solid though being light does help with their portability.

Overall I don't think it's too fair to compare them too much to other sets costing over five times as much really, for the price these are a very decent option.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These have fantastic sound. I am not an audiophile (hope thats the word!) but these do sound good. They are comfortable on the ears - nice cushioning. They look cool! But do they feel cool and nice and luxurious--> I am afraid the answer is NO, but hey ho, at this price I wasn't expecting much in terms of build quality.

I don't use these out and about, they are kept in my bedroom for occasional use.

I would highly recommend these.

P.S. When I ordered these I was being put off by the DJ function...I asked myself if this will be annoying as I am not a DJ, but all I can tell is that the circle things swivel a bit...not sure why but I am sure there is a good reason.
VINE VOICEon 5 November 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love music, though I am not at all technical about it. I just know what I like, and what good sounds like to me. I like to be able to hear a variety of notes and I like to be able to hear separate instruments and little things in the background that might ordinarily be missed. With that in mind, I really like these headphones! Obviously, for the price paid, they are not top of the range, but they are pretty good for someone like me who just wants to hear their music played well.
The construction is OK, they are very light and almost feel flimsy but once on they feel really solid. The adjustable headband stays in place once fitted without slipping. There's foam underneath the headband at the top which means you get a really comfy fit. The earpieces are very comfortable, the foam padding is just right and I can wear these for hours! The 'DJ function' just means you cantilt the earpieces away from your ear - I suspect a professional DJ wouldn't go near these but for budding bedroom DJs this is good. It's alss good for when you need to be able to hear something and don't want to fiddle around turning your music off! The cable is a decent length too, plenty of room to plug into a phone that is in your bag or pocket.
For the price of these headphones, I would say they are great. Better than more expensive headphones I have tried, and the comfiest I have tried in a long time!
on 24 January 2016
These are unusual headphones which perform way beyond their cost band and description. Construction-wise, they at first appear a little plasticy and rather cheap looking. However, one quickly appreciates that they are, in fact, quite rugged and will no doubt stand up to a great deal of wear and tear. However, it is their sound quality which really shines. Philips describe them as 'DJ style' phones with a full bass. Such a description is likely to deter those looking for a more refined sound, and that is unfortunate as the sound quality from these headphones is remarkably good and rivals much more expensive models. Specifically, they have a beautifully clear midrange and treble region which allows for insightful appreciation of musical detail. The lower frequencies are there, but do not shout out at you as some headphones in this price range might be expected to. Connected to a good quality sound source, they provide a clear, detailed sound which is easy to listen to over prolonged periods. Material with a high dynamic range does not phase them and they are capable of a relatively high output without compression or distortion. They are, in fact, something of a gem in Philips line up and well worth seeking out while they are still available. Those who like to travel with high resolution portable music players will find them an ideal travelling companion. They are light and fold flat and are thus easily carried anywhere. Very highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon 31 October 2014
Colour Name: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These are very comfortable, they have big cushioned ears muffs that cover the whole ear. There's neoprene in the headband so they sit well. They seem to be very strongly made and could probably take a lot of abuse in the DJ booth. The lead is short, about 76 cm (yes, less than 1 metre) so unless it's for personal walkabout use, you might need to use an extension. They sound good for the money but obviously don't expect them to be recording studio quality. For general listening, no problem and a great price!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!