4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed.
Published 10 months ago by TheDanielHolt

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective bluetooth Antenna?
Published 15 months ago by BaconTrousers

4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed., 9 Oct 2013
So I have a nice stereo at home and all, but recently I took an interest in small portable bluetooth speakers. So I started researching. There's all these "popular" choices like the Jawbone Jambox or the Beats Pill. And then there was the JBL Flip. I'd much rather trust a brand name that has been dealing with audio equipment, big or small, for 60+ years than some companies that we've barely heard of before. So with big excitement I ordered it. Yesterday it arrived. It was slightly bigger than I had expected, but still very small. It's like a can of soda, but taller. It has a pretty good weight to it, it doesn't feel cheap at all. My first impression of the sound was that it's pretty treble heavy, but I got used to that pretty quickly and it's actually really *good* treble at that. I'm gonna say this much: It sounds GOOD. The bass isn't going to blow you away, but it's certainly there and better than the what the Beats Pill has. If you put the speaker near a wall, it sounds it's best, and there's plenty of volume. This speaker doesn't distort, it stays clean. What it does do though, is compress the sound, which can be kinda annoying. But then again, you have to be listening to max volume for it to do this.
The weak points, I'd say, is the fact that it doesn't charge over USB and that the battery doesn't hold as long as other speakers in the range. And it may not be as pretty as some of the other speakers. But if you're just looking for impressively clean and rounded sound in a small package, this is it.

Other notes:
-Bluetooth coverage seems as good as you could expect, depends on the device you're listening to though.
-When in the upright position, it tips over quite easily so I don't recommend using it like that on a unstable surface.
-The carrying case it comes with is very nice.
-Bought it for 52, so that's what I'm judging after.
-The noises it makes when powering on, connecting etc aren't nearly as annoying as some of the other BT speakers I've heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Little Speaker, 7 April 2014
I never expected such a tiny and small looking speaker produce such amazing and wonderful sounds. It is a clear winnner when compared to its peers. It is small, easy to carry with that wonderful pouch and really produces some soulful sounds. I would certainly recommend this . I think I was lucky for me to get this for 49. Not sure about the current proce though ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Oct 2013
It really good!!! nice sound, good quality!! easy to use i recomend it 100%
The bag that comes with is really nice!

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective bluetooth Antenna?, 10 May 2013
I received my JBL Flip today which was charged from the box. I'm pretty sure I got a customer return as the box and contents had been opened previously (although the speaker itself was unmarked) It paired with my Galaxy s3 with no issues, BUT the signal cut off only after 5 feet of distance with no objects in between. Before I bought this item I did some research and found a review on the US Amazon which states that any Flip with a serial number below 0189100 has a bluetooth antenna issue. According to the reviewer he contacted Harman/JBL and was told this information, and that the new batches would roll out March/April 2013.

What I have here is a speaker that has the serial number 0089948 which is nearly a 100.000 (yes that's a Hundred Thousand) off the new batches which were supposed to be replaced in March/April this year! It also appears that the unit I have is very old stock (either from the seller or their supplier)

Anyway the speaker it's self is the best I've heard from something this size. Bass although not overwhelming is good and if I had any criticisms I would say the treble is too high (this could be addressed in the equaliser settings in the phone though)

Here is a link to the US Amazon review 'JBL releases Flip with new better BT antenna design'

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jun 2013
Very easy use item.
Been away on holiday and I found it easy to pack away.
Sound is excellent for such a tiny speaker.
Every device I have used has synced with it ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 5 May 2014
Davey (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this for travelling - I already have a Bose Minilink, but felt decadent enough to want this as well. It's very good - play with the graphic equaliser on your player (I use the paid for Rocket app on a Google nexus), put it against a wall or window to boost the bass, and away you go. Is it as good as the Bose? No, but so what, it's a lot cheaper, and it's worth every penny (as is the Bose, by the way!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Powerful, 28 Jan 2014
Robert Skelton "Bob" (Stafford, Staffs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Needed a wireless speaker for my android phone and tablet(S3 and note 10.1). Read all of the reviews and bought the JBL Flip. Glad I did; for a device not much bigger than a coke can it produces very reasonable sound. No problems with the bluetooth connection and the bass is adequate. Might get another one for the wife, this time the Flip 2 as the USB charger is a plus point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - so much bass from something so small!, 24 Nov 2013
L. W. Bowler "Lee" (UK) - See all my reviews
I spent my time researching blue tooth speakers and was willing to pay between 100 to 200. I tried the Beats Pill, the jambone etc and I have to say this little speaker beat them hands-down. I was literally amazed at the sound coming from such a small unit. Every time i switch it on I think 'wow'. The bass is really powerful, the volume is perfect from quiet to loud - it handles all frequencies really well. Its beautifully built with a fine choice of materials, it's solid and is perfect as a travel or bedside speaker (saying that, it can fill a room with it's sound).

I found pairing it to my bluetooth gadgets easy and quick - no problems. It comes with a nice carry case (fits snuggly and protects the speaker well), charger/USB etc and i've found the battery life lasting for days with the occasional hour or so of listening to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars JBL Flip Rechargeable Bluetooth, 24 Nov 2013
The delivery process was ok (condition and duration).

The speaker was as expected, as it worked out-of-the-box without problems. The sound quality is very good and the sound range is also very good.
The bluetooth connectivity worked ok the first time and works almost ok every time, but sometimes there are a few quirks (low battery, phone connectivity...).
The major complain is the battery, not lasting the advertised 5 hours (2-3 hours maybe, with low sound), but that could also be related to bluetooth power and distance to source (?).
But I recommend it and I'm very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little performer!, 14 Dec 2012
The JBL flip is an excellent little performer. Better value for money than the 160 Jawbone Jambox and the 200+ offering from Bose - totally over-hyped products in my opinion.
At highest volume you can get a (very) little distortion, which you'd expect from such a tiny package.
Great that you can "flip" into an upright position too, just slot into a space on your bookshelf!
Thoroughly recommended product!