5.0 out of 5 stars Aching back on a bike? buy this book!
Published 15 months ago by JB

3.0 out of 5 stars its alrite
Published 8 months ago by Mr A M Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Aching back on a bike? buy this book!, 20 Mar 2013
I have sufered lower back pain in the last 5yrs that troubled me on the bike and eventually led me to seek the help of a chiropractor. They had just sorted the problem out when I bought Danielson's book. It is brilliant and I wish I'd had it for longer! His co-writer Alison Westfahl gives a simple to follow synopsis of the human body focussing on the spine and core muscles that support it. Common complaints regrading back pain are highlighted and then a variety of exercise programs offered. These range from simple stretching to full on core workouts.

I found this to be a perfect and sensibly thought through book. It gives you a good background as to what is going on in your body, particularly your spine and core, without going too technical, and then offers a range of core workouts that range in aim from simply keeping your posture correct to really targeting improvement in core muscles.

The best bit is that these workouts are short, sharp and to the point. They don't leave you shattered, but do enough to improve your core at a sensible pace that is sustainable in any normal working week. Even I have managed to fit in 3x15min sessions and have noted a big difference in my core strength, stability and crucially less back pain. The book works and you'd do well to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 29 Oct 2013
I bought this book as I knew I was lacking core strength. This was from a bad back and a physio told me I lacked core strength. Yes I can do endless amounts of sit ups but core stability stuff is where I was lacking. Hence bad back. As I cycle and time trial I thought I'd go for this book. The explanations of why you need core strength and what it means are very good. It makes you realise why you may be having problems. The exercises are very clear and the programs very nice and fit around the amount of time you may or may not have. The only thing I would say is that some of the exercises could cause back problems if you already have a problem outstanding. I would recommend that anyone who uses this book to book a 2 or 3 private pilates lessons to get a greater understanding of immobilizing certain parts of your body to get most out of the book. With pilates know how and this book I would say you have a great combination. This is no easy option though...The exercises are no walk in the park

3.0 out of 5 stars its alrite, 16 Oct 2013
I have a huge amount of respect for professional cyclists, the training, nutrition, the miles they do to compete in cycling races but this book aint all that. It talks a lot about the anatomy of the abs , which unless your a physiology student you'd find it interesting, but for a cyclist hoping to get better I just wanted to know what exercises I needed to do and why. Most of this book is about, as I';ve said the anatomy, and its towards the end of the book you see the kind of stretches and exercises you need to do. about 60% of this book is redundant. But still, an okayish book. There are a lot of books out there that you can buy to increase your strength/fitness on the bike and this is just one of many that can help....

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good exercises - which work, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tom Danielson's Core Advantage: Core Strength for Cycling's Winning Edge (Kindle Edition)
If I was being fair I should have awarded this 5/5 - however, since I was aware of most of the exercises and how effective they are then it has dropped a star. The info is very clearly presented, the exercises do work from prior experience and it is an excellent compendium of these exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for endurance athletes, 14 Dec 2013
Got into core training last year after reading Mark Cavendish's autobiography. Was having lower back problems and thought core exercise might help. Well, they did so searched the Internet for more exercises to do. Was training for London Edinburgh London (1400km cycle ride over 4 1/2 days) and was impressed by how much core exercises seemed to help not only with injury protection but also strength on the bike. Came across this book (was recommended on a cycling forum) so purchased Kindle version. It's brilliant. Really In depth and has a good range of workouts for different aspects of cycling training (such as specific workouts to help with climbing or sprinting etc.). Each workout has a rationale and each exercise is simply expalined in words and then again in pictures. Workouts are then placed into plans for 3 ability ranges.

A must buy for the serious endurance athlete, not just cyclists.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book, 5 July 2014
Good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential to performance, 21 April 2014
Book is easy to understand. Good range of information. Descriptions for the movements are good and the author has also put up videos on YouTube. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, but not the Kindle version., 1 Jan 2014
Other reviewers reckoned this book is fine in Kindle format. I also had a good look at the preview on the Kindle site, but that didnt contain the exercise plans or diagrams so I didnt see how unreadable they are on screen. I therefore bought the Kindle version. It now realise it is exactly the sort of reference book that you need a hard copy of. The tables and diagrams are almost unreadable on a Kindle. Also learning the exercises requires a lot of referencing back and forth between the workout plan, the diagrams, and the descriptions of the exercises for each workout. This is a real pain on a Kindle so I have ordered a hard copy - wish I had done that in the first place.

On a more positive note, the exercises and plans look very good, and there is an extensive explanation of the anatomy and physiology involved, including the need to target the specific issues that often affect cyclists. I would recommend it, but only in hard copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars good on the core work part, 30 Sep 2013
Good book to read on core work for cyclists.
Tom Danielson isn't really someone I follow a lot. It's a nice extra for some, but I mainly bought the book for the Core theory and exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars No kidding, using these routines makes a huge difference, 29 Sep 2013
I would recommend this book without reservation - I'm slowly working my way up through level 1 - I have followed Tom's advice and do the routine before I go out on the bike - I find it focuses my mind and helps with my concentration when I'm out, I don't just jump on my bike anymore - it's helped turn cycling into a devotion perhaps. Tom and Alison have created an excellent resource, with clear and informative text and very good photographs and instructions demonstrating the positions.