4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel
I really enjoyed this second instalment in the The Assassin's Curse duology. I'd really liked Ananna and Naji in the first book, and I was hoping things were going to turn out a certain way.

Published 15 months ago by Suzanne Finnegan

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining
Published 9 months ago by Frenchie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sequel, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Pirate's Wish (Paperback)

Adding a manticore into the mix here surprised me somewhat but worked quite well, and I really liked her. She added something to this book for me and I was slightly disappointed when they dropped her off. I enjoyed the relationship that was built between her and Ananna.

Part of me felt though, and this could just have been my bad memory, but that Naji and Ananna's characters had changed somewhat from the first book. While in The Assasin's Curse I enjoyed the dangerous, mysterious and broody guy that was Naji, I felt he acted more 'little boy lost' in this book and seemed to sulk or something. When he doesn't return Ananna's feelings towards him, she's just really mean to him all the time, so he just tries to stay out of her way. I found this annoying on both of their parts. And I never would have guessed his feelings for her, he gave absolutely nothing away.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the antagonistic relationship between the two of them, I did. But I'd been hoping that they would get together, knowing Ananna had feelings for Naji and just hoping they would be reciprocated. But when they did eventually get together, there was nothing. No sparks, no swooning. It just didn't fulfil my expectations at all which was slightly disappointing.

And something that only came to mind sometime after finishing this book, was that, for three apparently, impossible tasks, they weren't that hard to accomplish.

So, to reiterate, as this seems quite negative lol. I did really enjoy The Pirate's Wish and I would recommend this series. The plot is decent and I enjoyed the characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars I want more Ananna and more Naji, 16 Jun 2013
Caroline for www.bigbooklittlebook.com
Copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

The Pirates Wish is book two in the Assassins Curse duology and as such this review may contain unintentional spoilers for book one.

It's no secret that I loved The Assassins Curse (Strange Chemistry) ( read my review here==>www.bigbooklittlebook.com/2012/10/ya-review-the-assassins-curse/title), and I began agonizing over the wait for The Pirates Wish from the moment I turned the final page of the first book. As one of my most anticipated releases for 2013, you can imagine my delight at getting my hands on an advanced readers copy, and shortening that wait by a few weeks.

I was immediately transported back to the creepy and disorientating Isles of Sky. Weeks after the events of Assassins Curse, barely tolerating the cold, rain and monotony, Naji and Anna are no nearer to finding the cure to the curse and their misery was palpable.

Into this environment of listlessness Cassandra introduces a new character, a manticore (with an unpronounceable name), who's uniqueness and humorous partnership with Ananna is a sparkling light in the gloom.

The introduction of new friends doesn't detract from our reunion with our beloved characters. We learn more about Marjani and the circumstances which led to her life on the high seas. While I appreciated the friendship and support she provided to Ananna in the first book, in The Pirates Wish her mentorship of Ananna is more than just instructive. Naji is still very much strong, silent and brooding. But like Ananna, through better acquaintance, we learn to read Naji's non-verbal cues more clearly.

After all of her experiences, I was not at all surprised to find that Annana is not quite the bolshie, over confident, firecracker we met in book one. While she retains her distinctive voice, quick witted snark, and fierce loyalty, she is at times winey and self serving, and I found her naive attempts to catch Naji's attention and make him jealous, squirming uncomfortable. Ananna's flaws, however, make her more believable as character, marked her growing up, and actually endeared her to me even more.

At one point, as Cassandra's imagination conjured up an unexpected twist in the quest to break Naji's curse, I found it difficult to suspend my disbelief. Although the twist was firmly grounded in Cassandra's excellent world building, It was just a tad too "Disney" for me.

While the ending may not have been the traditional HEA ( I have an increasing respect for Clarkes unique perspective of love and romance. Read my review of The Mad Scientist's Daughter here==> http://www.bigbooklittlebook.com/2013/02/book-review-the-mad-scientists-daughter ) that romance fans like myself crave, it was absolutely perfect for the characters and so beautifully written that I have already re-read the final chapter twice.

After bemoaning the trilogy formula, and the agony of committing to a series for two years or more, the current spate of duologys (that's a sequel to you and I) have come as a welcome relief. However, I am one who is never satisfied and I can't help wishing that we could spend more time in Ananna and Naji's lives (yes I want to have my cake and eat it!).

However, I am happy to be consoled with the news that although The Assassin/Pirates story is complete, Cassandra will be revisiting the world in The Wizards Promise, another duology for Strange Chemistry (expected publication 2014).

Verdict: For me Cassandra Rose Clarke is an author who's work is synonymous with one click preorder.

4.0 out of 5 stars an original and adventurous tale, 6 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Pirate's Wish (Paperback)
Following in the footsteps of The Assassin's Curse (the first part of this two-book series), The Pirate's Wish delivers an original and adventurous tale that is (wonderfully) quite difficult to predict. Our pirate and assassin duo provide as much entertainment this time around as they did in the first book, now finally setting off to break the curse binding them together.

From this point forward, and as so many of us have been anticipating, the romance develops into something more substantial and definite than the subtle shades of attraction first seen towards the end of The Assassin's Curse. While the pacing is untidy in places, and the change in Ananna's personality as a result a little disappointing, the progression between the characters is a fairly satisfying one. The journey to the end result is a very bumpy, however, and, for me, not quite as rewarding as I would have liked. Despite that, the characters constantly engage and never fail to demand attention.

The storyline is where Clarke unleashes her true creativity and imagination. We have talking sharks from the Court of the Wave, ghostly threats from the world of the Mists, boisterous manticores from the Island of the Sun - there is so much going on in this book, and while large parts feel a little disjointed from the rest, The Pirate's Wish never strays too close to overwhelming. If anything, it's an effortless read, and the very sort of book that escapists will undoubtedly appreciate, even if only momentarily. This duology has served me well mostly for those reasons, and I'm sure that I'll be itching to get my hands on The Wizard's Promise (the first book in Clarke's new series) when it releases next year.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this book better than the Assassins Curse, 12 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I liked this book better than the Assassins Curse. Overall, I felt there was better plot development & more interesting characters. However the solution to the 3 impossible tasks seemed a bit over-simplified - considering task 1 & 3 required very little effort on Najis part, and solution 2 was conveniently handed to them. That being said, the first 70% of the book kept me really engaged, it was only the last 30% that felt a bit rushed, and where things conveniently fell into place for Ananna & Naji. I would have also liked to see the both of them grow as characters, instead of their constant love-hate relationship & bickering. Read this book if you enjoyed the Assassins Curse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up, 8 Jun 2014
T. J. Pittam - See all my reviews
Really good 2nd book in the series, so many twists and turns to keep you enthralled from start to finish

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent conclusion to the two-parter, 7 Dec 2013
J. R. Bedford (Huddersfield UK) - See all my reviews
The second half of the story begun in The Assassin's Curse as this is basically one long book split into two. It's a light, fast read which comes to a satisfying cionclusion despite a couple of places where the sexual tension gets stretched out purely because the main characters seem to wilfully misunderstand each other's intentions.

I was a little disappointed to find that this was not going to be a longer series because I enjoyed the first one so much, however this tied up all the loose ends, so I'm happy to leave it there.

Ananna has a strong voice and Naji, the scar-faced assassin, is suitably moody. The worldbuilding was mostly completed in the first book, but is maintained very well.

This book picks up where the last one left off, with Ananna and Naji marooned on a magical island. I wish I hadn't left so long between reading the first and second volume because it took me a while to read myself back into it, but once I picked up the threads I was fine.

Ananna has unwittingly saved the life on Naji, her would-be assassin, set on her by a pirate family she mortally offended while trying to escape marriage to their son (in book one). In doing so she has triggered a curse and now Naji is forced to protect her or suffer dreadful consequences. Of course they fancy each other rotten, but neither will admit it, hence the wilful misunderstandings that almost-but-not-quite stretch reader credibility.

I'm probably not giving much away if I tell you that happy endings follow several plot twists. Thoroughly enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, 27 Nov 2013
Frenchie - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
But I did not like as much as The Assassin 's Curse. Ananna is behaving like a spoilt child and there is too much of love/hate arguments in the story. She refuses to see that Naji does care for her. It is not that she cannot see, she refuses to see and that dragged the book down . Naji is a much better character but the author made him look more like the girls ' puppet than the deep complex assassin he truly is. Like ke another reviewer , I found the manticore great fun and I also would only recommend The Pirate'wish to people who loved The Assassin's Curse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 25 Nov 2013
Really enjoyed this, the author continued what she began in book one and spun a really interesting tale. If anything it left me wanting more

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 24 Nov 2013
Escapist and a lot of fun with enough salt in the heroine to keep you along for the ride. Perfect for a rainy day

4.0 out of 5 stars Great end to a series I wish therewas more of, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Pirate's Wish (Paperback)
Review: The Pirate's Wish picks up straight after The Assassin's Curse. Ananna has realised her feelings for Naji, and they set about completing their three impossible tasks. After being picked up by friend Marjani and a manticore (how awesome is that?!), they travel south, trying to find ways of completing these things. As they are chased by pirates wanting vengeance and beings from the Mists, they wonder if it's going to be possible to break the curse, and also what they'll do if they manage it.
I really enjoyed The Assassin's Curse, and was looking forwards to this one. We spend a lot of time in The Pirate's Wish in different lands to last time, with visits to manticore societies, and to courts, and a lot of time on a pirate ship.
My favourite character was either Ananna, who was just as smart and sassy as in the first book, and learning a little more magic and figuring out what she wants to do regarding all this, or the manticore, who had a funny retort for everything when we first met her, often regarding eating people.
I loved the fact they just get hold of a boat and command it and the intercrew dynamics are both funny and touching as it really defines the friendship bond between Ananna, Naji and Marjani.
The story gets resolved in an unbelievable way. Magic comes into it, and it really works for the way it was set up. The very end was a little sad, but I can see a lot of adventures in Ananna's future.
I said in my review of The Pirate's Wish that I think Angry Robot should do an omnibus edition of this series. I'm glad that it wasn't cut down, because the story here is so full and the happennings so good that if we lost it, then it'd be a shame. But it did seem like The Assassin's Curse was just cut off midway, and as this is a direct follow on, I think I'd prefer to read the whole story in one sitting, megabook or not.

Overall: Strength 4 tea to a fitting end to this series. Looking forwards to more from Cassandra!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Pirate's Wish (The Assassin's Curse Book 2)