Losing Hope
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:£5.99

on 9 July 2013
**ARC provided by Atria via NetGalley in return for an honest review**

All the stars in the sky..

Beautifully written book. I am wrung right out..Colleen, you are a friggin goddess!

I was quite late coming to the Hopeless party, which I will be forever slapping myself for! So this time around, I was lucky enough to read an ARC of Losing Hope.

Reading it was from Holder's POV, I was apprehensive that the story would be repetitive and that that would steal some of my enjoyment of it. But I was Hopelessly wrong...and very glad to be!

Colleen was able to script Holder's thoughts, feelings, actions in such a captivating way that made me feel I knew Holder so well, so dearly. I was heartbroken from the first chapter, where we were given piece by piece Holder's world falling apart. I'm quite choked writing this to be honest.

To understand his thoughts and hopes when he first met Sky, and listening to his motivations as their friendship deepens, only assisted to enhance the already beautiful story that sits on my keeper shelf...

His letters to Les were his therapy, and his opportunity to vent as time passed and his acceptance of living without her. Truly poignant and another opportunity to grab for the tissues.

As the story develops, we were enchanted by his live/love for her, dripping off every page. *sigh*

I could not recommend this book enough, but have made an attempt to at every opportunity. Great praise for Colleen..and thank you.
on 12 July 2013
An engaging read with a realistic male POV--LOSING HOPE is another win for Hoover.

Holder's POV. That what it's all about, peeps. Holder's side of all the crazy events from HOPELESS, as well as extras from his childhood, the years in between, and the sweetest part of all--his letters to his sister Les that are threaded throughout in "handwritten" sections, which I thought was an absolutely perfect touch and a very clever idea from Hoover.

During HOPELESS, you'd have been forgiven for being slightly weirded out by Holder and his often confusing, and sometimes disturbing, behaviour. I know I was. He seemed to blow hot and cold without warning, and perhaps even had a little anger management problem sprinkled on the top. But that was before we knew about the thing. You know, the thing? Of course you do. Now that we do know about the thing, those exact same scenes as seen here in LOSING HOPE through Holder's eyes, suddenly make a whole truck load more sense, and were very enjoyable to read. Not to mention well-written, and with a very authentic sounding "boy" voice.

The only complaint I have about LOSING HOPE is that the end chapters--which really are all about Sky's character--felt slightly choppy and rushed when told from Holder's POV. Since he was only on the periphery during much of it, he had to do a lot of summarising, which of course isn't as satisfying as living it in all its pain-filled glory like we did in HOPELESS. Still, it's only a minor quibble, and didn't really detract from the book's appeal.

So basically, if you loved HOPELESS, you're going to love LOSING HOPE--and Holder--all over again. Enjoy!

4 Stars ★★★★
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I’ve read and re-read both Hopeless and Losing Hope a few times now and have never been able to coherently formulate my thoughts in order to write the review. They are just those kind of books. I’m sure you know what I mean; the type of books that swallow you whole, drown you in emotion then spit you back out as a chewed up, gnarled mess.

Colleen’s trade mark beautiful writing has a lyrical almost poetic feel to it, the beauty of the words belie the horror lurking within the pages. There is a sense of despair that emanates from within the words, a feeling of inevitability you just can’t escape. The feeling of foreboding increases with each page turned. The prologue within Hopeless sets the tone – repetition of the prologue within the main part of the story reinforces the imagery and emotions sharply within the imagination immersing the reader completely.

Very difficult issues are dealt with – as a reader and also as a mother I found myself trying to make sense of the incomprehensible. The mind is a fantastic thing, protecting itself from trauma. Revelations in the form of dreams/flashbacks pave the way for the brutality of the ultimate exposé as the plot peaks.

Sky is a wonderful character, there are so many facets to her, it’s like peeling the layers of an onion. She has a terrific relationship with her mother and her best friend. Although some of her actions are questionable the reasoning behind them only adds to endear her to the reader.

First impression of Holder make you question his intentions toward Sky. His anger management issues count against him until you scratch away that hard shell of his. I have to say I loved seeing his point of view in Losing Hope, however, there was an incident at the start of that book which really altered my opinion of him. I didn’t like it one bit and it took quite a while for me to get over it. Yes, I am aware that grief causes people to do things they normally wouldnt’ but still, really didn’t like that incident :*(

The chemistry between Sky and Holder is electric but it is the tenderness and emotion they share which makes their relationship tug at even the hardest of hearts. Best non-kissing scene EVER ♥

At the risk of being pedestrian, the thing that stands out in these books is that sense of HOPE. While events in our lives, especially the traumatic ones, shape the people we become, they do not define us.

NEVER LOSE HOPE♥
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
After reading and really enjoying Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, I planned to take a little break before reading Losing Hope as I knew it was based on the same story but told from Holder’s perspective. I lasted all of a couple of hours before picking it up though, I just couldn’t resist. I really enjoyed this novel, but not quite as much as the first one, which I think is always the case with companion novels that cover the same plot-lines.

When I finished Hopeless I really wasn’t ready to leave these characters behind, which was why I was so excited to be able to go straight into Losing Hope. I love that it’s told from Holder’s perspective, as I enjoy and want to read more contemporaries told from a male POV, and as Holder has his own fare share of secrets going on, I was looking forward to the chance to get inside his head.

I can imagine writing two books that cover quite a similar storyline but from two different perspectives is tough, how do you keep it fresh and keep the reader interested? Hoover managed this quite effortlessly by including diary-entries that serve as letters to Holder’s sister, Les. They are wonderful, heart-breaking and offer such an insight into Holder as a character. Hoover also gives Holder’s BFF, Daniel, much more page time, and his humour was a welcome relief throughout the book. I love that after reading both of these books you have a clear picture of the relationship between Sky and Holder – how it started, how it developed, how both characters were feeling during certain critical plot-points. I LOVED this.

I have to say though, because I read this book so soon after Hopeless, I did skim read certain sections that were practically the same in both novels. The original story was very fresh in my mind, and I didn’t have the patience to read through the sections verbatim. As soon as I finished this read I went ahead and downloaded the companion novella Finding Cinderella, and devoured it just as quickly.

There’s not much in it, but overall I did prefer Hopeless slightly more to Losing Hope, but that’s mostly because the story was so fresh and new to me when I read the first book. In my opinion, the Hopeless series is best read, considered and rated on a whole. The pieces fit together so well, that the series overall rates much higher for me than each novel on its own.

Check out the full review on Confessions of a Book Geek!
www.confessionsofabookgeek.com
on 3 February 2014
Losing Hope is the 2nd in the Hopeless series by Colleen Hoover. The story is all about Dean Holder – Sky’s boyfriend in the first book Hopeless – and is basically him telling his version of the events that take place in the first book.

From Hopeless we know that Sky is not Sky, but instead she is Hope. A girl who was abducted, although told she was adopted, and grew up living a secret lie. She meets Dean Holder, who turns her world upside down. They become friends but the attraction is too great and they become boyfriend/girlfriend. But Dean has a secret himself. And that secret is that he knows Sky’s true identity, he witnessed her being taken. In the story we get to see Dean’s life with Hope, during Hope going missing, and the after.

I already knew, going into Losing Hope, that I like Dean Holder’s character from Hopeless. But only after he redeemed himself tenfold part way through the book. He has this awful secret that you don’t actually know anything about until nearer the end of the story, that is when you find out that Holder already knows Sky, but he knows her by the name Hope. The book explains all of his feelings towards Hope, and the guilt that crushed him as a little boy, for letting his best friend be taken, for not protecting her. But he also carries this guilt about his dead twin sister, for not being able to save her. He starts to write letters to his sister, knowing that she can’t see them, but as a sort of therapy and he pours his heart out in them so you are left in no doubt how he is feeling.

I liked that you get to see it from the other point of view. It helps you understand his actions, how emotionally turbulent the whole situation is for him, when he thinks he’s found Hope, then when he finds out more about his sister, and what could possibly have caused her to commit suicide. It’s a more emotional read than Hopeless because Holder has experienced loss, loss like a young boy shouldn’t, and loss like a teenage boy shouldn’t. You appreciate his story a lot more after reading this.

Aside from being emotionally charged the story is told in quite a funny way. Having access to Holder’s thoughts as he interacts with Sky is fun, it’s cute and you already know how Sky reacts so it’s like your spying! I always feel like your spying on the boy when you get to read their POV.

Definitely one to be read after Hopeless.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I loved Hopeless when I read it earlier this year, the twist completely took me by surprise and I loved seeing how things unfolded as Sky slowly uncovered the truth about her past. I did find Holder's behaviour was more than a little disturbing at the beginning of the book but after finding out what was going on I could understand his actions. When I heard that Colleen Hoover had re-written the story from his point of view I was quite excited to get inside his head and seeing exactly what he was thinking during the pivotal moments. I was also hoping we'd get a lot more insight into Holder's past and to a small extent we do but unfortunately we didn't get enough new material to completely hold my interest.

I did really enjoy learning more about his relationship with his twin sister Lesley and seeing what had driven her to take such drastic action but the majority of the scenes between Holder and Sky were the same ones that we'd already read in Hopeless. I spent a lot of time reading the exact same conversations and wondering what was the point. I think I'm starting to get a bit bored of this new trend of writing the same story again but from a different POV. It can work really well when it tells a different part of the story or adds some insight that we didn't get from the first book but when it's too similar it just feels like a waste of time reading it.

I have to say that Losing Hope is very well written and I probably loved Holder even more after seeing inside his head but I still ended up feeling a little disappointed overall, in fact I think this would have worked better as a novella so that there was less repeated material in there. Colleen Hoover is a brilliant author so I have high expectations when I pick up one of her books but this one fell a little flat for me. If you were a massive fan of Hopeless then you might still want to give this one a try but I'd say it's probably worth picking up a copy from the library or borrowing it from a friend first rather than buying it.
on 10 November 2013
'My whole world turned from a place full of vibrant colors to a dull,lifeless gray. The sky, the grass, the trees...all the things that were once beautiful were stripped of their magnificence the moment I realized I was responsible for our best friend Hope's disappearance.'

---My thoughts---

Once again, I have Colleen Hoover to blame for my lack of sleep. I read this book in two days, each time staying up until the early hours of the morning. It's yet another one of Colleen's books that I just couldn't bring myself to put down. Whilst I can't say that I enjoyed it as much as Hopeless, seeing the story from Holder's point of view was amazing,and it made me fall in love with the story all over again.

The only reason I didn't enjoy it as much as Hopeless, is purely because Hopeless had the elements of shock and mystery surrounding it, as the truth about Sky was revealed piece by piece. But as Hopeless was more a six-star book than a five-star book, I was still able to give Losing Hope a huge five stars.

I loved reading the letters that Holder writes to his sister Les. He opened up his heart in those letters and allowed us to really see what was going on in his head, and his heart, during Hopeless. Whilst Hopeless would have worked as a stand-alone anyway, the addition of Holder's point of view tied up everything nicely. Everything that happened in Hopeless made even more sense after reading this book, even down to small details which I won't go into so I don't spoil it for anyone else.

Whilst this is essentially the same story as Hopeless from Holder's point of view, it's also different in so many ways. We get more of an insight into Holder's past, and the effect that Hope's disappearance, and the death of his sister Les had on him. In this book, we get to know the real Dean Holder with no holding back.

This is the third book by Colleen Hoover that I've read now, and she has very quickly become one of my favourite Authors. After reading Hopeless, I moved on to the Slammed series, which I also fell in love with. Now that I've read Losing Hope, I plan on reading Finding Cinderella, a novella about Sky's friend Six. And of course, I'll be continuing with the Slammed series.
on 17 July 2013
I took a while to read Hopeless and I have no idea why, because it was so brilliant! So I decided Losing Hope had to be read as soon as possible. Losing Hope leap-frogged many books to the top of my to be read pile. I'm glad it made that leap because it's an incredible book.

I'm not the biggest fan of New Adult as a genre. I don't mind it, but haven't really been blown away. Hopeless and Losing Hope are an exception. I absolutely fell for the characters, even more so with Losing Hope. I felt so sad throughout the book. It's an incredibly hard read because of the subject matter. I completely believed in Holder and Sky's relationship.

I really liked Holder from Hopeless, but I fell more in love with him in Losing Hope. I worried that I wouldn't like the sequel because I knew what had happened already. I shouldn't have worried, it was so intriguing to read it from Holder's point of view. He becomes an even more lovable character. He's so thoughtful and considerate. I need to find a Dean Holder.

The book begins with the death of Holder's sister and then all the emotional turmoil unfolds. Urgh. That's urgh in a good way. It's just so emotional! Holder writes letters to his sister to unleash those feelings that he feels he can't express to others. They are so heart-breaking. I just want to jump into the book and give Holder a huge hug. But I can't. (I need to remind myself that Holder isn't real!) It gets worse as if you've read Hopeless, you know exactly what's going to happen and you're just waiting for him to experience it all.

I thoroughly recommend this book and Hopeless to fans of the New Adult genre. It's not restricted to New Adult fans though I actually think readers would enjoy it that enjoy emotional and intense reads.
on 14 July 2013
This book has totally exceeded all my expectations of Harpers POV.

The fact that he was struggling to understand the fact that he thought he knew his sister, he thought he understood her tears her smiles I think anyone, if they are honest don't truly understand their siblings true feelings and emotions.
I feel it incredibly difficult to understand how a mother feels after losing a child. I believe that Colleen captured a great deal of Beth's devastation, emotions and actions for her lose.
Also and understanding as to why Harper was never informed of the true heartache that happened as he was still blaming himself for not protecting Hope,

I absolutely adored Daniel he never held anything back not matter what was happening his nicknames for people were hilarious, **** nugget, buttshark and Val short for Valium. My favourite is Daniels story about the store room cupboard Prince Charming and Cindrella.

It was great to understand how much Harper was affected when Hope realizes who she really is; I think he was more distraught than her at the time.

The note book moments are sometimes heartbreaking to read, my meltdown moment was chapter forty-eight I dropped my kindle and sobbed like a baby I needed a breather, time for a tea break.

My favourite quote of my life I think
"In order to miss someone, that means you were privileged enough to have the in your life to begin with"

Yes this book was necessary Colleen
on 22 July 2013
If you haven't read this book make sure you read hopeless first!
I've just read losing hope and it had me tears at the end, I absolutely loved the fact that losing hope is from holders point of view and you get to no a lot more about him&les and how much he actually loves sky/hope and it will just melt your heart and have you crying.
Well done collen hope there is a third!:)