on 11 September 2013
It arrived quickly, securely packaged. The instructions are clear and simple.

The item itself is chunky, not too heavy and gives an impresson of solidity and quality. It just looks ... an attractive bit of kit. It arrived (I would guess) about 80% charged and it took about 45 mins to charge fully, when connected to a USB port on my PC.

I am delighted with this unit - it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin! The tiny gripe? The two connectors supplied (one Apple 30 pin adapter, one Samsung ditto) look a bit flimsy (and Samsung is misspelled!). Not a worry for me, as I'm an Apple user and would use the USB connectors supplied with their products.

Review edited 19/9/13 and this added:

I charged the Anker Astro E5 fully and plugged it into my iPad2, which had only 1% battery capacity left. These were the results:
After 1 hour - 34%.
After 2 hours - 63%.
After 3 hours - 88%.
100% capacity was reached after a fraction under 4 hours (about 3hr 55min). There were still two lights showing on the unit, indicating 25-50% charge remaining.

Frankly, I think that is superb performance! Delighted with the product...!!!
on 24 April 2014
I bought one of these so that our mobile phones would not run out of power over a three day period, for a short camping trip. My daughter has an iPhone 4S which is very power hungry and I have a Sony Xperia Z Android phone which also uses a lot of battery but on a normal charge lasts a whole day. On previous camping trips, mobiles have run out on the first night and we've had to either do without the phones (yeah right!) or charge our phones in the car by running the chargers using the engine - hardly economical... So I was on the lookout for a decent solution. I found plenty of these types of chargers with a much lower mAH capacity, then I found this on Amazon and was very excited with the ultra high capacity of 15000 mAH (my phone holds 2500 mAH on its internal battery) so this was very appealing. I wasn't disappointed, the quality of the product is great, feels very well built and is a nice solid weight. It has one port to charge, which takes a few hours for a full charge - displayed as four blue lights when complete. It has two charging ports which means you can charge two devices at the same time. This meant that at the end of the day when going to bed, we could plug both the iPhone and my Sony phone into the Anker and by morning we would have both devices at 100% - by the way the charger is not on all of that time, it automatically turns itself off when the phones are fully charged, perfect. This routine carried on for three days and when leaving we still had two blue lights, meaning that it had only used approximately half of the full charge, brilliant. This in turn means that a single phone user would probably be able to charge their phone between 5-7 days, which is pretty awesome. The whole package includes a nice black carry pouch with drawstring and a quality USB>USB mini port to use for both charging up and using to charge mini USB devices. If you have an iphone, or any other device that doesn't use mini USB, just make sure you have a USB cable for your device and this will plug into the Anker no problem. I think it's also worth mentioning this product is fulfilled by Amazon, so customer service, delivery etc has been great as usual. I highly recommend this product to anyone who needs to have portable power at the ready when travelling, this is a great product.
on 12 October 2013
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.

I own both the Anker Astro Mini and the Anker SlimTalk. I use either of the two batteries for everyday commute to and from work. My iPhone 5 is a battery hog and I need any of the above batteries that are both lightweight, as backup. However, the above batteries can only supply 1-1.5 full charges to the iPhone. Because of this limitation, I need a larger backup battery for long travel like (e.g. long haul flights, long bus/car rides).

I received the Anker Astro E5 battery in time for our Adirondack vacation. The dual ports really come in handy as you can share the battery with your companions or charge two devices simultaneously. The kids all brought their gaming device and iPads, and us - our Smartphones. We can not rely on the car charger as it can only charge a GPS device or smartphone and not an iPad. I'm glad that the Anker Astro E5 can supply as much juice as to charge an iPad along with another Smartphone or a gaming device.

The Anker Astro E5 is a bit heavier than my other Anker external batteries. Tested a fully-charged E5; it can supply 2 full charges to a Smartphone, 2 full charges to an iPad, plus 1 full charge to a gaming device and a bluetooth headset. Pretty impressive for a device that is not as heavy as I was expecting it to be. I also believe that this external battery will also come in handy in cases of emergencies, hurricanes and blackouts. It also comes with a LED flashlight feature which you can use to locate adapters and connections while in the dark (night time travel, blackouts, etc.).

Size and weight is not as bulky as my old Zagg external battery. Size is almost equivalent to a regular 2.5 inch external hard drive. Quality and finish is way much more superior than the Zagg and the other 3rd party external batteries I've bought from eBay. It has a sleek finish that compliments my Apple devices. The handy bag that came with the package is a plus - I can store my cables and adapters in one place. The included adapters and cables are all of superb quality as well.

You only need to buy a lightning adapter if you're using an iPhone 5, iPad 4 or an iPad Mini, otherwise, you don't need to purchase other cables and adapters anymore, they're all included with the package. The package came with almost everything except the kitchen sink. You can directly connect to charge this device straight to a computer or a laptop, or any power adapter, but I use the Anker 18W Wall Charger to charge my external batteries.

For a gadget junkie or somebody who owns a power-hungry device - it will save you $$$ to just get this rather than the lower capacity external batteries which could only provide you with 1-2 full charges.

I can definitely recommend this product if you're planning on long trips or if you own multiple devices. It would be best to keep one at home or in the car as backup. It's quite affordable for a product of superb quality and capacity. After months of owning and using their products, I highly recommend Anker products for your tech needs: innovative, cost-efficient, highly-compatible, and with an exceptional customer service.
on 4 September 2013
A great product, does exactly what it says on the can. However, is it just me or does anybody else have a problem keeping the power usb plug in? If you knock mine even a fraction, out it pops and stops charging. Apart from that minor design defect, a 5-star product!

Update: having posted this, I remembered that the device came with a USB lead. On checking this, I noticed that the plug was significantly longer than my standard, Samsung, one. When I inserted this lead, it made a considerably firmer and more secure contact. Rating amended accordingly, now I need to remember to only use this lead to charge up the device.

Great customer service from the manufacturer, too!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 August 2015
The unit itself is very solidly built with a nice weight to it. The gloss plastic is attractive but easily scratched. This is not a problem as it comes with a carrying pouch which I never feel the need to take off as it protects it nicely.

The micro usb cable supplied is disappointing because it is very cheap and flimsy as it broke after a few weeks use. Anker make some of the best mobile device cables on the planet! It was disappointing to see such a poor cable with an Anker product, however this is understandable to keep costs down.

Ever since I bought this a few months back it has been a life saver on many occasions, for example going out and realising you have forgot to charge your phone that night! I just bring this with me and problem solved.

I have a Samsung S5 and this can charge it from 0 -100% 4 times, with a little to spare (16,000 mah model)

To charge it I recommend a charger of atleat 1-2A output such as a iPad charger as a computer usb will just not cut it.

Top tips!

> Always keep it charged, you will be thankful when you quickly need it!

> if you can, carry around a variety of cables such as a lightning or 30pin Apple cable, your friends will thank you! I usually keep a couple Apple cables with me even though I don't own an Apple device.

5 stars if the cable supplied is better quality.
on 20 December 2014
Bought using a discount code, making it great value. Really well made, no doubting the quality. Used to charge nexus 4 from various low levels around 4 times and still has charge left. Charges nexus 7 as well. You have to press a button on the powerbank to start charging, which seems pointless but not an issue. Having the higher power port is good for more power hungry devices.
The led torch function is more of a nuisance than a help, as is easy to accidently turn on if you carry the device in a bag.
on 21 August 2013
I decided to upgrade my external battery pack for Geocaching and Munzee GPS treasure hunting which drain a lot of power from my Galaxy S4, I've been using a rechargeable AA battery adaptor and usually carry pocketfuls of spares around so, after a bit of research I came across the Astro E5 and because of the high reviews decided it was the one most suitable for my needs packing a whopping 15a in a unit not much larger than my phone. I purchased using the free trial Amazon Prime One day delivery but unfortunately it didn't arrive until the day after it was expected, that was a minor disappointment however because from the moment I opened the box I was immediately impressed with the look, feel and simple functionality, this is a very robust and well thought out piece of hardware, it's convenient, portable, simple to operate and looks great, better still, when I switched it on it already had a full charge! I plugged straight into my phone at 80% and within 15 mins it was fully charged. The E5 came with various connectors and a protective carry case however I shan't be using that just yet ... I want to show off my new toy, even the colour perfectly matched my Galaxy. Thankyou Anker, I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 8 May 2014
This thing goes on and on and on!

I can plug in my phone, leave it recording my route in one app and giving directions in google maps (two battery heavy apps) with bluetooth streaming music to my headphones and wifi keeping my location accurate.
After two or three hours my phone is still at 100% and this thing has barely used anything.

On a 12hr plane ride it kept me gong the whole way. From check in to sitting in arrivals for 2 hours waiting for my ride. Seriously, this pack means business. I'm sure an iPad would fare very well too.

I'd LOVE to be able to charge my laptop from it!

Downside. On my bike rides, it's bulky. The weight isn't really the issue (it's heavy but that is 315g / .69lb), it's just a bit too large to carry. I will probably sell this on and but one that is smaller.

My last sore point is the on/off switch and torch. The torch is completely superfluous, I'd rather not have it. The on/off switch would be better if it was a sliding switch not a button as it can easily be depressed accidentelly while in transit. Turning on/off the device or torch when inconvenient.

Oh and the carry case is cheap and nasty. But that's no big deal!
on 2 June 2015
Recieved as a christmas gift in Dec 2014, more than happy to receive this!

From the get go, it was fully charged (I assumed, all fours blue LEDs lit) which was a nice plus. The packaging was extremely eco-friendly all being made of paper and a recyclable plastic bag that protected the actual Astro E5 battery unit. In the box was the Astro E5 power pack, a Micro-USB cable and a soft case to protect the glossy battery case.

Feature wise, it's a very large capacity battery pack. Managed to charge my iPad twice over from ~20% and Lumia 1020 from 0% all on a single charge. Extremely fast too, definitely no complaints with the PowerIQ technology in this. However, I have come across with an issue using thrid-party lightning cables with the pack; both ends of the cable got extremely hot and continued to drain power after the iPad was unplugged therefore running the battery pack to 0% without realizing. I have had no issues when using the official/genuine lightning cable though, so recommend using this. Charge time for the power pack itself was just over 6 hours from 0% (using a 2.1a charger), which is very acceptable considering the capacity.

Feature wise, I mentioned PowerIQ. This is the technology that Anker includes with this pack that will automatically shut off the charging process when the plugged-in device reaches 100% charge, to stop wastage in the Astro E5. Other features include a pretty useful white LED located between the USB ports for seeing the dark. A nice bonus indeedy! You can press the power button on the side of the Astro E5 to enable the battery pack/see what charge is remaining, holding down down this button for 5 seconds will enable the LED mentioned above. If no device is plugged in or the white LED is turned off, the pack will turn off after ~30seconds.

Day to day usage, it's pretty useful to have on the side if your device is running low. No need to be near a wall power socket, you can continue watching TV, cooking, gaming, and not have to worry about your phone/tablet dying on you. The best use I've found for this so far is bringing it along when you're away for a weekend, and for car journeys (our car doesn't have a USB charger). Don't need to bring a a wall plug, and just stuff the included micro USB cable into the pouch, alongside any other charging cables you might need with it and you're good to go!

5/5 - A must have!
on 23 September 2013
I have a Samsung S2 which consumes its battery in 1.5 hours down to 30% in case of online chatting , now I can guarantee long chats without worrying about running out off battery , excellent product and rapid delivery , strongly recommend it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...