Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.29

on 28 September 2013
Such a shame this is a stand alone book ! Although I doubt it would be better any other way .. I guess sometimes you just have to let go. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a witty protagonist, well witty characters overall. Loved this book and I will read it again
I like smart, sassy teenage heroines who have a strong independent streak, no angst issues, and a deadpan refusal to be conned. That's what this book has. It's wrapped up in an angel mystery that is interesting and suspenseful, but doesn't read like a tedious course in angelology. It is a teen romance, but avoids all of the excessive dreamy/melty silly stuff in favor of an honest and appealing, and very authentic feeling, relationship.

There are a zillion ways this book could have been sappy, yet the author avoids every single potential pitfall and instead delivers a sharp, tight story with a refreshing and bracing bit of an edge to it.

Our heroine Riley is immediately likable in her refusal to be sucked in to phony angel hysteria. Her parents are equally resistant and free thinking, and it's a nice touch to have parents who aren't dopes. The love interest Gabe is a cool customer with just the right bad boy/good guy balance. Riley's friends and schoolmates are more than just types and by fleshing them out the author adds depth and weight to the whole story. The remaining secondary characters, or at least some of them, have important roles to play as the story unfolds, and each is allowed to take on a bit of life and weight. The result is that the book feels much richer and more complex than maybe it is, but that makes the action, the mystery, and the romance all that much more believable.

Lots of paranormal romances, and especially angel based romances, just melt away under closer examination. This one is so nicely plotted and constructed that it stays engaging and satisfying right through to the end. That's a very strong point of recommendation and makes this book a very happy find for me.

Please note that I received a free ecopy of this book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 3 July 2015
One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that this book is amazing. I recommend it highly to anyone. Have was my favourite character. He was totally neat-o, sorry reference there. The way the author added the little 50s charm was awesome, especially as I love that decades style, music and well everything. Even in the little nicknames like sweetheart and dollface it really added to it.
The story it's self was great with all the surprises and plot twists. And without giving much away I almost cried at the end.
on 28 June 2013
This book has all the ingredients that, to me, make a good book: it's funny, the female protagonist is clever, the cliches are spared, it strays away from the whole 'popular, female cheerleader is horrible to the protagonist', it's mysterious and it's unique.

I really did enjoy the story and the rich array of characters in this. Kress' style is unique, and this book is paranormal, possibly post-apocalyptic meets Sarra Manning. The only let down for me was the ending, which I felt was rushed and disappointing.
on 2 April 2014
I enjoyed this book, even though I'm prone to reading series, it was refreshing to read a stand alone novel( I think its standalone but it did lend itself to a sequel.) but without giving anything away, I was a little disappointed by the ending. That said its still def worth the read.
on 17 July 2013
Outcast had my attention from the very start, and it held it. It made me laugh, entertained me thoroughly, and left me second guessing what would happen next.

Riley was a strong, fiesty protagonist, filling the pages of this book with sass, humour, and intelligence. Gabe was a likeable, intriguing love interest with something that was entirely his and not a copy of seventeen million other teen heartthrobs - which was refreshing. And the rest of the cast of characters in the book were colourful and interesting.

The premise of angels abducting people was something I had never seen before, and it proved to be thrilling to read. Instantly, I was absorbed into the rich Southern world and invested in the outcome of the story as if I, personally, was one of the rag-tag bunch of people fighting the angels to reclaim their taken.

Outcast was exciting, unique, and a pleasure to read. A solid, enjoyable book.
on 5 June 2013
For our heroine, Riley Carver, a yearly event over the past six years sees"angels" coming out of the sky to take away her townsfolk. When her boyfriend is taken she starts to hate the status quo, and the odd Church of Angels, which asks the town to accept the strange yearly taking.

As far as her relationship with the `angels `goes, it's not worshipping she intends, as the blurb explains "When one decides to terrorize her in her own backyard, it's the final straw. She takes her mother's shotgun and shoots the thing. So it's dead. Or ... not? In place of the creature she shot, is a guy. A really hot guy. A really hot alive and breathing guy. Oh, and he's totally naked."

From the write up I just knew this story would be humorous, and it certainly was. Her naked, living, breathing guy is called Gabe and he's an irreverent flirt - and a total mystery. Riley's determined to uncover the reason her town's been chosen for these yearly abductions and her journey held my attention from start to finish. Her investigations aren't put on hold whilst having to cope with the annoying fervour of the Church of Angels followers, a snarky cheerleader - who simply won't let her catch a break - and several unexplained phenomena. If pressed for a criticism I'd say there were a couple of sections which I felt were over-written, but never enough for me to feel frustrated.

Outcast is set in the deep south, and is filled with humid summer days, drawling accents and catty southern belles. There are gun totting and swamp dwelling folk, as well as many supernatural beings. It's a quirky blend of comedy, romance, and spookiness. The characters are lovable and the plot sucked me in from the start.
on 5 June 2013
I didn't really know what to expect when I began this book.. I knew that I really loved the cover and I was intrigued by the synopsis. I've read several angel type books now but Outcast feels fresh and unique. I was enthralled from the beginning and found it hard to put down.

The characters in this story are brilliant! The protagonist Riley was strong and intriguing. I loved the character of Gabe and the banter/flirtation between him and Riley. Lacy was a typical stereotypical clichéd cheerleader character, although she didn't seem to mind being this cliché. She turned out to be more than what was on the surface though which is always good to read. All of the characters have something appealing about them which isn't often the case in a story.

The ending of Outcast sets itself up for a sequel which excites me. It's a brilliant story with thought-provoking conversations between characters about bible interpretations and faith.

I'm really impressed with Outcast. I thoroughly recommend it!
on 30 July 2013
I really enjoyed the book and loved the main character because she wasn't a total cry baby or weak. She was strong and not perfect which made it really enjoyable to read. The ending did feel rushed but at the same time it was strong and poetic. I like the twist and bittersweet note
on 15 October 2013
This book was a funny, charming and unique romance. It was well thought out and kept a steady pace, drawing you in with every page. The ending was not rushed but was a cliffhanger and I really hope there's a sequel coming out soon.

The main character was a very likeable protagonist who didn't try too hard to be tough or funny an the love interest was a very charming man who I instantly fell in love with.

I would highly recommend this book to all.