5.0 out of 5 stars missing link
Beware: taking calcium and/or vitamin D can kill you if you don't also supplement with K2!

Published on 4 April 2012 by D&D

1.0 out of 5 stars Alarmed
I was alarmed by the statement concerning coronary heart disease and the link to saturated fat/cholesterol being debunked by scientific literature. The whole world is now aware of the success of doctors like Caldwell Esselstyn and Dean Ornish, who not only have scientifically proven that coronary heart disease can be prevented but also reversed.

As for the...
Published 1 month ago by Mary Ann Evans

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars missing link, 4 April 2012
D&D - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

This book explained why more than 6 months of taking 10,000iu daily of vitamin D3 did nothing for me, even though I live way north of the 40th parallel (most people above that are deficient and, the further north, the more deficient we are). Calcium needs vitamin D3 and both need vitamin K2. I read eight (yes 8) books on vitamin D3, most of them well researched, yet none of them explained this. All of them claimed many fabulous results just on high-dose D3, claims I'm now finding hard to believe.

Also, many of us have taken calcium religiously, only to find little or no improvement in our bones. For one thing, most calcium supplements are plain chalk, which the body cannot use. For another, calcium will just kill you faster if you don't also take vitamins D3 and K2.

Anyway, back to this book, which provides vital information about the interactions of calcium and magnesium with vitamins K, D, and A, as well as ground-breaking information about all three and about calcium. The major point of Dr Kate's book is that vitamin K2 (not K1, which is good mainly for blood clotting) is beneficial for diabetes, heart disease (K2 can reverse hardened arteries!), various cancers, bone and dental health (K2 is the missing link), kidney disease, alzheimer's and brain/nerve health, aging/wrinkles, varicose veins, arthritis and not least for fertility/pregnancy/prenatal development.

Well-written in a friendly, clear and organised way, Dr Kate explains that K2 deficiency can go unnoticed for years and that the gradual industrialisation of our food supply reduced K2 in our supplies, further complicated by transfats like margarine and the decades-long crusade against the kinds of foods that are highest in vitamin K2 - egg yolks, cheese and butter - but they need to be organic. K2 tests and optimal amounts are covered. Vitamin A and the inadequacies of beta-carotene are addressed as well as the importance of magnesium (suggest "Transdermal Magnesium Therapy" by Sircus on the amazing benefits of magnesium). The only thing missing (as it is in 99% of health books) is the essential part potassium plays in health (food grade potassium bicarbonate powder is available cheaply - see "The XXL Syndrome", basically a booklet, for amazing info about this ignored mineral).

There's fascinating information about how our bones produce essential hormones as well as holding us up and about the suppressed health discoveries of Dr Weston Price on our need for truly organic and unrefined foods. I really enjoyed some of Dr Kate's turns of speech, such as: blaming cholesterol for heart disease is like blaming firefighters when they show up for a fire. Taking statins is like sending the firefighters home while the fire blazes on.

[LATER NOTE: apparently there is research indicating MK-4 is better than MK-7; also one US commenter writes: "K2-MK7 will cause a racing heart" and another that: "the symptoms of too much K2 and hypocalcemia are the same..heart racing and crazy blood pressure changes". I did have problems with MK7 so switched to MK4 but realised my atrial fibrillations had worsened again recently - there are several kinds of af, mine feels like heart shivers, essentially the top half of the heart sometimes shudders like a jelly because it is not pumping in time with the lower half. I was despairing about the worsening because the af had finally started to get better - within a month of (my recently) having started the combined treatment of my adrenal fatigue and low thyroid (undiagnosed for 20 years! PLEASE read Stop The Thyroid Madness if you suspect problems with either or both yourself). I just hadn't realized that the MK4 - which I had only started taking just a few weeks ago - was the reason! My af reduced substantially within 24 hours of stopping the MK4. Perhaps anyone with heart issues should avoid K2 - or perhaps it's because I don't need to supplement with K2 because I eat mainly organic meat products, which provide K2, unlike farmed meats?]

Latest note: It's also worth knowing about "The Calcium Lie II" an intriguing book plausibly claiming to explain the root cause of most illnesses. It explains that vitamin C is just as important for bones and that many other minerals (all available in sea salt and rock salt) are at least as important as calcium (and that both dairy and calcium supplements upset the mineral balance in the body, causing many health problems). Ascorbic acid is only as much a representative of vitamin C as the wrapper is part of your candy bar. It's holding in and protecting the "good stuff" inside. All the synthetic vitamin C forms act like a drug and leach out the real vitamin C in the body. The Vitamin C molecule is complex and needs to be from whole food and the full spectrum C includes K. I now use the Innate Response C-400 tablets for both vitamin C and vitamin K.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life in such a good way!, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life (Kindle Edition)
I think this is one of the most important books I have ever read, as someone who takes lots of vitamins, minerals and calcium. I have had m.s. For over 20 years and am now convinced I have been right in taking a lot of Vit D3, calcium BUT have now started taking K2 as well. Thank you Dr Rheaume-Bleue, you have changed my life, and thanks Amazon for bringing it to my attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential overlooked vitamin, 24 Dec. 2012
Ms. L. D. Crolla "Linda Crolla" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
I would recommend that everybody read this book as vitamin k2 is essential for avoiding major health concerns. I is well written and the first twenty two pages explain the reasons why we should all be aware of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good précis of K2, 8 Sept. 2014
Excellent précis of current understanding on K2. I am looking forward to seeing results of further investigation into this little known and little understood vitamin.

When you analyse that one of the main sources is fermented foods, is it then really that surprising that so many ancestral indigenous diets have contained a regular consumption of some kind of fermented food or beverage?

Ancient wisdom through centuries of trial and error worked out which foods kept them healthy and grew strong healthy offspring. Within a few generations all those years of accumulated knowledge and wisdom have been swept aside in the name of modern 'progress'. Mass migration has integrated diets and cultures not suited to a different environment, and many people out there have no concept of what healthy diet components really are, especially in our highly industrialised and commercialised cosmopolitan 'Western' environment.

Thank goodness for people like Weston Price who documented information now almost lost to 'civilisation', so that we can gain some insight and understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hot off the press - absolutely essential reading, 31 Mar. 2013
Really up to date information, a well researched and much needed, well written book which fills a gap in an important area of health maintenance. Should be absolutely compulsory reading for doctors and health professionals everywhere. A credit to the author for presenting the matter in a well structured, lucid and uncluttered manner. You may have shelves of health books, but you won't find one more valuable than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on health and nutrition I have ever read, 7 Sept. 2014
Susan Glazier (London) - See all my reviews
After finding that my aging bones were not as dense as they should be, my GP prescribed calcium and vitamin D supplements. I had been seeing negative reports about calcium supplementation, linking it to heart disease/ heart attacks and therefore I wasn't too keen to take it, so eventually I decided to stop it. After reading this book, all has become clear - it details how we need calcium for our bones but without vitamin K2 our circulating calcium is more than likely to settle in our arteries causing arteriosclerosis with a subsequent threat to our heart. With adequate intake of vitamin K2 plus vitamin D, plus vitamin A, calcium is steered away from our arteries and into our bones. This book is very enlightening on many levels and I would say one of the best books on health and nutrition that I have ever read. It very much highlights the importance of fat soluble vitamins, which cannot be overstated. It is also very readable, amusing and engaging. I urge you to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you have Osteoporosis, 29 Jun. 2013
Easy to understand. She explains the relationship between vits D3, K2, Cacium and vit A. Puts you on the right track to ensure you are absorbing your Ca, getting it into your bones and stopping it building up in your arteries and tissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and informative read, 18 Jan. 2014
I read this book because as I am entering menopause I wanted to know if I should be taking a calcium supplement or not (Osteoporosis runs in the family). The answer is no I do not need a supplement as I do not have Osteoporosis yet and taking a supplement on its own increases the chance of cardiovascular disease. The author references most of her claims and I checked a lot of them out and they were true. This book started me on a journey of nutrition that I have found fascinating and has lead me to change my whole way of eating - bringing me back to eating natural and unprocessed food. Try reading "Trick and Treat" and "Life without Bread"

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, 6 Dec. 2013
Mark (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
The research surrounding the fat soluble vitamins is so very important, I urge everyone to read books / research on Vitamins: D, K2, A as well as minerals such as magnesium and zinc.

Since you're very likely to be deficient in vitamins D and K2 and since deficiencies in these two vitamins are linked to scores of diseases, everyone needs to be clued up.

K2 is likely to be the final piece in the "fat soluble jigsaw puzzle". This book is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for writing this book, a valuable part of our food library., 29 Aug. 2014
Mrs. Pauline D. Horkan "PDH" (Caterham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is now the Osteoporosis bible on their forum INSPIRE.ORG, and has led us on into researching healthy eating of Pasture fed beef and the PFLA in UK. So well written and interesting. The issues in this book seem to be well covered by the scientific method. Read this together with the A1/A2 milk controversy (Don't drink A1 milk) to get an idea about where Factory farming is taking us, although I feel that the A1 milk type may be better explained as lack of K2. This whole area of nutrition is so very complicated, as every element is inter-reactive so that trying to discover the optimum vitamin and mineral daily input, for each human gut type (dietary typing), daily stress level, ethnicity, is impossible. I love the very last paragraph of this book which sums up its philosophy which makes it all so easy. We have joined the PFLA (Pasture Fed Livestock Association) to influence from within, as they do seem to all have different ideas about feeding livestock, breeds, gas/electric stun methods in abettor, etc., and are researching the myriad of different suppliers and producers to determine standards for all animal types. Organic for the veggies to avoid chemicals, and CIWF for animal welfare issues.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›