on 11 September 2013
It arrived quickly, securely packaged. The instructions are clear and simple.

The item itself is chunky, not too heavy and gives an impresson of solidity and quality. It just looks ... an attractive bit of kit. It arrived (I would guess) about 80% charged and it took about 45 mins to charge fully, when connected to a USB port on my PC.

I am delighted with this unit - it seems to do exactly what it says on the tin! The tiny gripe? The two connectors supplied (one Apple 30 pin adapter, one Samsung ditto) look a bit flimsy (and Samsung is misspelled!). Not a worry for me, as I'm an Apple user and would use the USB connectors supplied with their products.

Review edited 19/9/13 and this added:

I charged the Anker Astro E5 fully and plugged it into my iPad2, which had only 1% battery capacity left. These were the results:
After 1 hour - 34%.
After 2 hours - 63%.
After 3 hours - 88%.
100% capacity was reached after a fraction under 4 hours (about 3hr 55min). There were still two lights showing on the unit, indicating 25-50% charge remaining.

Frankly, I think that is superb performance! Delighted with the product...!!!
on 15 July 2015
This charger is exactly what I was looking for. Something with plenty of power, not too big and a low price.

All i need is something that can charge some of my devices by USB. I am due to travel from UK to USA soon and was concerned that i wouldnt have enough power on my tablet to last me the full duration of the flight. This USB charger fits all my needs.

At 16000mAh it has enough charge to charge the items that myself and my partner will be carrying should it be required.

In terms of size its as long as my galaxy note 4, half the width an about twice the depth, so it will fit in my pocket easily and will slot nicely into my bag. In terms of its weight it weighs a touch more than an xbox one controller. Certainly not heavy by anyone's standards and for the power its packing its fair.

The unit itself has a button to press which lights up LEDs to show the remaining charge and it comes in a carrying case to stop the unit getting scratched.

If you are looking for something along the lines above then I would suggest looking no further than this model.
on 3 July 2014
Just got back from Glastonbury 2014 and used this product for the first time ..
Not only did it keep my IPhone 5 charged the whole 5 days it also charged 3 others phones on a top up to give them the ability to make some calls ..
Magic bit of kit .,
Daughter is now taking it to Boardmasters festival ..
Don't buy these silly £10 -£30 phone bars as the queues to exchange where nearly as bad as the recharging queue !!!
Spend your money wisely .. buy one of these ..

Hope it last as like I said .. this was it's first use and got maybe 5-6 full charges out of it ..
Just remember to do all the things you can do to minimise battery usage for your smartphone .. check online for help as there are loads of things that you can do to help prolong the life of your battery before the need to charge it !!

Great product !!
on 7 June 2015
Bought this after a friend recommended it.Topped up the charge before a trip to London. Phone went down to 10% as I sat down for dinner so plugged in the supplied cable and left it charging on the table. Within 30 mins it was up to 70%, and when we finished dinner (90 mins after plugging in) it was fully charged. Nothing got hot, amazingly quick charge, and not too heavy to carry around in a bag (a bit too much for the trouser pocket).
Arrived on time, well packaged, and great price. I am now never going to have the excuse that my phone battery ran out whilst out of the house. Would definitely recommend.
I have topped up phone already 4 times and the battery still shows three quarters full.
on 16 July 2015
Dead only after 5 days....Anker is a trusted brand but seems like some products always need a couple of go's before you get the right one. My other smaller version is working fine which I had anker replaced too. Overall this product is a big unit and has good capacity.
on 2 June 2015
Recieved as a christmas gift in Dec 2014, more than happy to receive this!

From the get go, it was fully charged (I assumed, all fours blue LEDs lit) which was a nice plus. The packaging was extremely eco-friendly all being made of paper and a recyclable plastic bag that protected the actual Astro E5 battery unit. In the box was the Astro E5 power pack, a Micro-USB cable and a soft case to protect the glossy battery case.

Feature wise, it's a very large capacity battery pack. Managed to charge my iPad twice over from ~20% and Lumia 1020 from 0% all on a single charge. Extremely fast too, definitely no complaints with the PowerIQ technology in this. However, I have come across with an issue using thrid-party lightning cables with the pack; both ends of the cable got extremely hot and continued to drain power after the iPad was unplugged therefore running the battery pack to 0% without realizing. I have had no issues when using the official/genuine lightning cable though, so recommend using this. Charge time for the power pack itself was just over 6 hours from 0% (using a 2.1a charger), which is very acceptable considering the capacity.

Feature wise, I mentioned PowerIQ. This is the technology that Anker includes with this pack that will automatically shut off the charging process when the plugged-in device reaches 100% charge, to stop wastage in the Astro E5. Other features include a pretty useful white LED located between the USB ports for seeing the dark. A nice bonus indeedy! You can press the power button on the side of the Astro E5 to enable the battery pack/see what charge is remaining, holding down down this button for 5 seconds will enable the LED mentioned above. If no device is plugged in or the white LED is turned off, the pack will turn off after ~30seconds.

Day to day usage, it's pretty useful to have on the side if your device is running low. No need to be near a wall power socket, you can continue watching TV, cooking, gaming, and not have to worry about your phone/tablet dying on you. The best use I've found for this so far is bringing it along when you're away for a weekend, and for car journeys (our car doesn't have a USB charger). Don't need to bring a a wall plug, and just stuff the included micro USB cable into the pouch, alongside any other charging cables you might need with it and you're good to go!

5/5 - A must have!
on 12 October 2013
I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest.

I own both the Anker Astro Mini and the Anker SlimTalk. I use either of the two batteries for everyday commute to and from work. My iPhone 5 is a battery hog and I need any of the above batteries that are both lightweight, as backup. However, the above batteries can only supply 1-1.5 full charges to the iPhone. Because of this limitation, I need a larger backup battery for long travel like (e.g. long haul flights, long bus/car rides).

I received the Anker Astro E5 battery in time for our Adirondack vacation. The dual ports really come in handy as you can share the battery with your companions or charge two devices simultaneously. The kids all brought their gaming device and iPads, and us - our Smartphones. We can not rely on the car charger as it can only charge a GPS device or smartphone and not an iPad. I'm glad that the Anker Astro E5 can supply as much juice as to charge an iPad along with another Smartphone or a gaming device.

The Anker Astro E5 is a bit heavier than my other Anker external batteries. Tested a fully-charged E5; it can supply 2 full charges to a Smartphone, 2 full charges to an iPad, plus 1 full charge to a gaming device and a bluetooth headset. Pretty impressive for a device that is not as heavy as I was expecting it to be. I also believe that this external battery will also come in handy in cases of emergencies, hurricanes and blackouts. It also comes with a LED flashlight feature which you can use to locate adapters and connections while in the dark (night time travel, blackouts, etc.).

Size and weight is not as bulky as my old Zagg external battery. Size is almost equivalent to a regular 2.5 inch external hard drive. Quality and finish is way much more superior than the Zagg and the other 3rd party external batteries I've bought from eBay. It has a sleek finish that compliments my Apple devices. The handy bag that came with the package is a plus - I can store my cables and adapters in one place. The included adapters and cables are all of superb quality as well.

You only need to buy a lightning adapter if you're using an iPhone 5, iPad 4 or an iPad Mini, otherwise, you don't need to purchase other cables and adapters anymore, they're all included with the package. The package came with almost everything except the kitchen sink. You can directly connect to charge this device straight to a computer or a laptop, or any power adapter, but I use the Anker 18W Wall Charger to charge my external batteries.

For a gadget junkie or somebody who owns a power-hungry device - it will save you $$$ to just get this rather than the lower capacity external batteries which could only provide you with 1-2 full charges.

I can definitely recommend this product if you're planning on long trips or if you own multiple devices. It would be best to keep one at home or in the car as backup. It's quite affordable for a product of superb quality and capacity. After months of owning and using their products, I highly recommend Anker products for your tech needs: innovative, cost-efficient, highly-compatible, and with an exceptional customer service.
on 31 August 2015
Recently having been persuaded to buy one of these as a friend had recommended, i have to say i don't regret it one bit.

Aesthetically, i'm not a big fan of glossy finishes usually, but here you get a case included and it looks very sleek anyway, this would be my only slight complaint but i am being picky. Speaking of the case, it is thin enough to be able to see the lovely blue LED lights to indicate it is charging, but it is very nice to handle, and it is certainly not too thin. However i feel like if i ever dropped the battery from a distance it would get scratched, or dinged, as it doesn't have a loads of padding. The battery itself is very compact, and it has some weight to it which is nice as it feels premium.

Functionally, it is simple and it does it's job extremely well. I own a nexus 5 which has notoriously bad battery life, so this is a life saver for me. It also charges extremely quickly - my nexus can be charged fully in an hour or so. When going away it is also extremely nice to have 2 USB ports so that a friend can charge their phones at the same time - although it slows down charging time a bit, but not substantially enough for this to be a flaw in the product. The battery itself is huge, i get 8/9 full charges of my nexus 5 and 2/3 out of my nexus 9. I've heard complaints that after use a phone doesn't hold its charge any more and the battery goes, but i have had no problems of the sort. The battery itself is simply enormous. The USB cable included is about the right length, it isn't massive but you don't want it to be, plus even if you dont use it it's nice to have spare USB cables around.

Finally, the packaging of it is typically Anker, stylish and simple a lot like the product inside and eco friendly. It arrived a day early too which was a bonus!

Kudos Anker!
on 21 August 2013
I decided to upgrade my external battery pack for Geocaching and Munzee GPS treasure hunting which drain a lot of power from my Galaxy S4, I've been using a rechargeable AA battery adaptor and usually carry pocketfuls of spares around so, after a bit of research I came across the Astro E5 and because of the high reviews decided it was the one most suitable for my needs packing a whopping 15a in a unit not much larger than my phone. I purchased using the free trial Amazon Prime One day delivery but unfortunately it didn't arrive until the day after it was expected, that was a minor disappointment however because from the moment I opened the box I was immediately impressed with the look, feel and simple functionality, this is a very robust and well thought out piece of hardware, it's convenient, portable, simple to operate and looks great, better still, when I switched it on it already had a full charge! I plugged straight into my phone at 80% and within 15 mins it was fully charged. The E5 came with various connectors and a protective carry case however I shan't be using that just yet ... I want to show off my new toy, even the colour perfectly matched my Galaxy. Thankyou Anker, I'm very pleased with my purchase.
on 8 May 2014
This thing goes on and on and on!

I can plug in my phone, leave it recording my route in one app and giving directions in google maps (two battery heavy apps) with bluetooth streaming music to my headphones and wifi keeping my location accurate.
After two or three hours my phone is still at 100% and this thing has barely used anything.

On a 12hr plane ride it kept me gong the whole way. From check in to sitting in arrivals for 2 hours waiting for my ride. Seriously, this pack means business. I'm sure an iPad would fare very well too.

I'd LOVE to be able to charge my laptop from it!

Downside. On my bike rides, it's bulky. The weight isn't really the issue (it's heavy but that is 315g / .69lb), it's just a bit too large to carry. I will probably sell this on and but one that is smaller.

My last sore point is the on/off switch and torch. The torch is completely superfluous, I'd rather not have it. The on/off switch would be better if it was a sliding switch not a button as it can easily be depressed accidentelly while in transit. Turning on/off the device or torch when inconvenient.

Oh and the carry case is cheap and nasty. But that's no big deal!