Published 13 months ago by Sekura

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a nice book and suitable only as a private book for ...
Its a nice book and suitable only as a private book for a young girl around 10-13-not for anyone older than that or for more mature girls of that age as they wouldn't appreciate it as its a bit flowery and poetic.
Published 17 days ago by miss d doherty

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the only book you need to buy for your daughter. If I could give this book ten stars I would., 19 Mar. 2014
Sekura (England UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
I have a ten year old daughter and over the past six months I have been looking for books suitable for her age that we could read together, and/or that she could read independently, about menstruation and coming of age. I purchased 8 books here on Amazon - many of which had numerous raving reviews. But I struggled to like or connect with any of them. Much less want to share them with my daughter. Most were crass and written from an overtly sexualised point of view - trying to be 'cool' rather than authentic.

Then I ordered Reaching for the Moon. As soon as I started reading this book it became apparent that it was very different from the rest. It is written in a way that not only honours the rite of passage of menstruation, but also the young girl going through these massive changes in her life. The book is very gentle, each page is filled with wisdom. It covers everything that a young girl of 9-13 needs to know. As a companion to open discussion, it is everything one could want from a coming of age guide. My daughter has now read Reaching for the Moon many times. We have shared some really beautiful conversations prompted by this book.

I am going to buy Reaching for the Moon as a gift to all my friends with daughters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written letter to young women, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
What I appreciate the most out of this book, is that it didn't feel like an adult talking down to a child. It reads like a woman talking to a young woman {on the verge of womanhood} as an equal, as a sister.. exactly as it should be. Inviting her in to the world that awaits her, age appropriate, with a bit of the secrecy of the fascinating world it is to be a woman. Exactly like being welcomed in to the red tent.. I remember so distinctly being in the circle of my mother and her friends, all talking wildly about their lives- and me, tucked close to my mother's side.. wide eyed and feeling so proud to be able to sit out with them, instead of in the house with the babies. I was far from my first moon... but to be treated as a woman among them, respected and talked to as if I was a woman as well was an incredibly empowering feeling. This book IS that.

I look forward to the day that I get to wrap this book up and send it with other special gifts to my niece, and then too, my own daughter.

A beautiful gift for girls, to start to understand the enormity and beauty that lies within their incredible bodies. To honour and treasure themselves. A gentle, and powerful bit of wisdom to gift to a girl in such a sweet transitional time in her life, something that she will always remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 23 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Kindle Edition)
Discusses emotions as well as facts. Perfect for daughters reaching that tricky age. Good to see this time of life covered in a positive way :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me in happy tears, 8 Jun. 2013
VickyB (Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful book that invites girls to celebrate womanly wonders. It is written from an open heart with love, respect, nurture and never condescension or authority.
This is truly beautiful and I look forward to discussing it with my daughter when the time is right (not long now!)
This book contains so much value and I recommend it to all mothers of daughters (read it first then pass it to her) or to girls who wish to know more about the magic of their bodies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and informative, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
My daughter and I have both read this book, we both love its informative and warm way of helping us navigate in an ancient and modern way the early time of her becoming a woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. The perfect gentle, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
Great book. The perfect gentle, informative guide for my almost-there eldest daughter. Love the general tone, not patronising in the slightest, more like an older sister. The book deals with emotions as well, rather than just the clinical basic information I've seen in other books. It's very positive, a focus on celebrating and honouring this special time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering and nurturing. Best book to read about the gift and joy of being a young woman, 1 Mar. 2015
FM Douglas (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
Absolute joy to read. Bought for my daughter (12), I had a quick scan before I gave it to her and ended up reading it all in just two sittings. Enthralling, enlightening and nourishing. We both love it. She finished it and looked a foot taller. Finally starting to appreciate the special qualities of her body rather than the hassles and fears. Truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could have read this as a young teen!, 9 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Kindle Edition)
Lucy's book is the book I wish I had read before I started my own menstruation - it would definitely have saved me some of the embarrassment, shame and guilt attached to stepping into womanhood. This book is a treasure. I hope it is spread far and wide and feel excited about the magic and understanding it will weave in the lives of every girl who reads it.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Kindle Edition)
Really good book super duper helpful I definitely recommend it to girls turning into women!! I really enjoyed reading it on my kindle and I will probably read it again

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a nice book and suitable only as a private book for ..., 8 April 2015
miss d doherty (LA SELVA BEACH, CALIFORNIA, US) - See all my reviews