5.0 out of 5 stars Cats is Purrfect!!
What can you say that's bad about this DVD? This is a must buy for every musical fan! I have watched this over 80 times now and i am NOT joking either, it's addictive.The plot, though not very strong is simple, once a year a tribe of Cats meets in a junkyard for the annual Jellicle Ball in which their leader chooses one of the cats to go to the Heavyside Layer where they...
Published on 4 July 2003 by Flower_Child

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - but missing key songs which may ruin it for you
I confess I am a huge Lloyd Webber fan, and having seen Cats myself when I was 10 (22 years ago!) I still remember it in detail. I have always adored the music and recently introduced my children (aged 5 and 4) to the songs on CD as they already adored Joseph. They loved Cats which is why I bought this to them from Father Christmas.

Since they can't see it in...
Published on 16 Jan 2008 by Mrs. C. Cadogan

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor image quality., 6 Sep 2013
Joseph O. Brien "Joe" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Whilst this is a great production of "Cats" I have to agree that the image quality is extremely poor.

It says on the back cover that it has been "Remastered in High Definition" but I would argue that it is barely passable as even DVD quality. The image is very very grainy and there is a lack of sharpness to everything. It just feels like an old DVD or VHS which has been directly copied onto a Blu-ray.

A shameful release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Aug 2003
By A Customer
I Think this is brilliant. I got this for my birthday on video and i watched it so much that i wore the tape out so i had to get it on DVD. This is great for the whole family. If you haven't seen the stage show then it is like you are at the theatre watching it. If you have seen the stage show then it is good to have to watch to remind you how good it is. On the DVD you also get exclusive bonus footage which shows you the work put in to the making of the film and about the musical.
I recommend this DVD to Every one of all ages.
Once you have watched this you will find your self in the world of cats and won't stop singing the songs.

3.0 out of 5 stars It could be much better, 3 Oct 2013
The magnificent production of "Cats" got very poor blu ray transfer. The sound is gorgeous, but the picture quality is mostly horrible, very grainy. After all, it's better then DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mognificent!!, 5 April 2008
I got the chance a few days ago to go and see the theatre production of Cats at the Leeds Grand Theatre when the UK Tour came to town and although we were up on the balcony perched like two tweeting birds, I can safely say that there is nothing else [and I have seen Phantom in London] that comes anywhere near the production of Cats played live.

So when we returned home, we bought the DVD with the special features included to get a behind the scenes glimpse at the production. Watch Munkustrap morph from actor to cat and see what I mean!

What memories. Seeing once again [and it was so close to the live show] the dance, the movement, the balletic interpretation and the quality of sound made us both sit there with big cheshire cat grins on our faces, remembering the night out all over again.

This is a fantastic filmed version of the live show, allowing you a close up, front row seat as you watch and listen to all those songs. For us, who have had numerous moggies over the last twenty years or so, it allows us to see something of all of them, now happy in the heavyside layer, and makes for some great memory inducing moments.

This is definitely worth the money. If you have the chance, go to see the show as well. The experience is worth every penny.

Truly mognificent!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely magnificent, 29 Mar 2008
David Woodall - See all my reviews
This was intended to be the definitive version of 'Cats', in in most respects it is. Admittedly it lacks the intimacy or 'buzz' of a live performance, but this is more than made up for by the close-ups (which allow you to see details you might otherwise have missed) and, most particularly, what is probably the best cast this musical has ever enjoyed.

It would probably be unfair to single out individual members of the cast, as they're all first rate, but I'm going to anyway! Elaine Paige cuts a terrifically tragic figure as Grizabella and - at the other end of the scale - John Partridge makes for a gloriously over-the-top Rum Tum Tugger. Veerle Casteleyn is a charming Jemima (though dubbed with the beautiful purity of Helen Massey's singing). John Mills's Gus is thoroughly moving, whilst Rosemarie Ford's Bombalurina, together with Aeva May as Demeter, make a sexy and sensual pair. As for Drew Varley and Jo Gibb, I cannot praise their interpretation of Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer highly enough - just perfect.

The main downsides are the cuts. The loss of 'Growltiger's Last Stand' is a terrible shame, but arguably worth it to have John Mills. As for the others, I particularly miss the cut verses from 'Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer', but since this is my favourite song, and stars my favourite characters, I must admit to being biased in this respect!

None of this, however, seriously detracts from what is overall a truly stunning film of this glorious musical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids will love it!, 22 July 2004
pete "i am" (Edinburgh, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVD for my 7 year olds birthday, guessing that both she and her 8 year old sister would love it. I can tell you that I wasn't wrong. One week later they are still loving it, in fact they seem to get more out of it each time they watch it. The songs and dance routines are suberb, it's a lot better than I think I imagined it would be.
I'm no great Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but that's not really the point. I don't think that you need to be to recognise when something is well done. And whilst it may help? to have seen the stage show before, it's clearly not essential to enjoy the DVD. Sometimes it can be the opposite, as people may feel a film version does not live up to their expectations/memories of the live show.
If you are considering buying this then please do, and for goodness sake, do not worry AT ALL about this being unsuitable for children. Some previous reviews commenting on it's unsuitablity for children are way off the mark. I can only imagine they live in households where table cloths are required to reach to the floor, lest young ladies in the house are offended by the sight of the table legs!...

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic show on a flawed disc, 27 Feb 2001
By A Customer
A number of the songs in Webber's musical rank amongst my favorite songs of all time. This musical is a fantastic mix of song and ballet that rarely bores you; pure delight. The makeup is excellent, as are the performances of the dancers. I was slightly disappointed with the video quality of this DVD, though, as it doesn't seem much better than VHS. To its credit, though, it does include a lengthy "making of" footage that fans will enjoy, as well as an interview with Webber himself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exasperating disc Cats!, 10 Jan 2014
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For one day I had both the dvd and the blu ray versions of Cats. Comparing them is an exercise in film viewing analysis where I need to write a review in order to find out what I think!

Firstly the dvd has no subtitle track. The blu ray has a multi language subtitle track. The dvd has one of the strangest aspect ratios I have come across. Some films have black bars top and bottom whilst other films have bars either side. The dvd has black bars all around. The blu ray fills a widescreen; no black bars.

The picture on the blu ray often appears washed-out if viewing on a plasma screen. But very good if watching on 100' projection screen. Slight grain but more than just watchable on projection - enjoyable. It is clearly zoomed-in dvd release on the blu ray.

The blu ray confronts you with six warning notices of one sort or another before starting to view the film. You can skip each notice with remote control. The dvd has just one warning notice before hand but you can not skip or fast forward it. Both discs are, therefore, annoying for different reasons.

The Menu on the dvd is far clearer than the use of symbols on the blu ray. The dvd contains a fold-over leaflet with a list of chapter contents for each of the two discs. One disc for film another for extras. One side of the leaflet outlines the story of the production. The blu ray contains fresh air. Just the one disc. Yet they both have the same 21 Chapters for the film. The blu ray does not have any Trailers on its extras.

The sound reproduction on the blu ray is superb. True surround sound effects are immersive (to use a vogue word) for the viewer/listener. The dvd sound reproduction is also very good across three front speakers, but just stereo.

To conclude: blu ray for projectioners certainly. The rest of you can work it out for yourselves. Must also point out that I came to this production unsullied by theatrical experience of Cats. I really enjoyed watching the show on dvd projected 100' with black bars either side and one at the top (I had used the zoom on my projector for the first time). But the blu ray with subtitles projected was excellent. I kept the blu ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave musical ever!, 28 Mar 2008
Ms. J. D. French "Bambina" (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
CATS - Is one of the best musicals I have ever had the chance to see. I originally recorded the film when it premiered on TV about 6-7 years ago, but I watched the video so much, it soon died, so I brought the DVD.

The magic, music, costumes and singing, is totally brilliant and well thought of. It certainly has helped me with my singing and confidence to sing in front of other people.

Well done Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Really Useful Group for creating such a magical, phenomonal, musical.

Julia

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Interpretation, 9 Aug 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cats [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
Andrew Lloyd-Webber's best loved musical - Cats - is as good on video as at the live performance. It's true - it lacks the interaction of the show, but this is more than made up for by the intimacy of close up shots on individual cats, which creates the atmosphere of the live performance. I understood the musical better after watching the video and I notice things I have not seen before every time I watch it. I am very glad that the set used was the one used in the theatre - the whole play could have been spoilt by trying to make a fancy video set when it was not needed. The music, dance and costumes are as effective in binding you into the spell of 'Cats' as in the live performance. As I would recommend the show as the greatest show of all time, so I say that this is an essential for any video collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free]
Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] by Trevor Nunn David Mallet (Blu-ray - 2013)
7.00