5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Musical DVD
This DVD is definately worth buying, especially if - like myself - you did not see the stage show. The performance is full of energy, and the close up shots develop character relationships very effectively.

The bonus features are also really interesting to watch, especially the making of cats, which shows you just how much work went into the show. Elaine...
Published on 29 Dec. 2006 by Lara

2.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful - but missing key songs which may ruin it for you
I confess I am a huge Lloyd Webber fan, and having seen Cats myself when I was 10 (22 years ago!) I still remember it in detail. I have always adored the music and recently introduced my children (aged 5 and 4) to the songs on CD as they already adored Joseph. They loved Cats which is why I bought this to them from Father Christmas.

Since they can't see it in...
Published on 16 Jan. 2008 by Mrs. C. Cadogan

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars TS Eliot at his best, 16 April 2010
I grew up on Macavity and the like. My mother was always a cat person and thus the characters portrayed by Eliot are totally credible. The music of Andrew Lloyd Webber is unforgetable and all the best love songs are down full justice with Elaine Paige singing "Memories" and full cast of practical cats dancing around and across the stage. Songs like Bustopher Jones and Mr Mistoffelees rank among my favourite perfomances. If you expect a plot you'll be disppointed but the performances all link and display the many facets of feline personality and few observations about humans too. Immensely enjoyable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely poor image quality., 6 Sept. 2013
Joseph O. Brien "Joe" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Whilst this is a great production of "Cats" I have to agree that the image quality is extremely poor.

It says on the back cover that it has been "Remastered in High Definition" but I would argue that it is barely passable as even DVD quality. The image is very very grainy and there is a lack of sharpness to everything. It just feels like an old DVD or VHS which has been directly copied onto a Blu-ray.

A shameful release.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another mess from Universal., 8 Sept. 2013
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This blu ray is not as good as my original DVD. The grain is shocking, the definition poor, colour saturation, contrast and black levels very weak. Having suffered from the Universal/BFI Citizen Kane release (very inferior to the Warner's pristine transfer) and their very poor "Marnie" and "Family Plot" I shall not be pre-ordering any more of their blu rays until I have read prior reviews. "Cats" is such an enjoyable musical - and on this disc there is a splendid cast - it's such a pity that the transfer etc is such a mess!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Interpretation, 9 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cats [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
Andrew Lloyd-Webber's best loved musical - Cats - is as good on video as at the live performance. It's true - it lacks the interaction of the show, but this is more than made up for by the intimacy of close up shots on individual cats, which creates the atmosphere of the live performance. I understood the musical better after watching the video and I notice things I have not seen before every time I watch it. I am very glad that the set used was the one used in the theatre - the whole play could have been spoilt by trying to make a fancy video set when it was not needed. The music, dance and costumes are as effective in binding you into the spell of 'Cats' as in the live performance. As I would recommend the show as the greatest show of all time, so I say that this is an essential for any video collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
I Think this is brilliant. I got this for my birthday on video and i watched it so much that i wore the tape out so i had to get it on DVD. This is great for the whole family. If you haven't seen the stage show then it is like you are at the theatre watching it. If you have seen the stage show then it is good to have to watch to remind you how good it is. On the DVD you also get exclusive bonus footage which shows you the work put in to the making of the film and about the musical.
I recommend this DVD to Every one of all ages.
Once you have watched this you will find your self in the world of cats and won't stop singing the songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids will love it!, 22 July 2004
pete "i am" (Edinburgh, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVD for my 7 year olds birthday, guessing that both she and her 8 year old sister would love it. I can tell you that I wasn't wrong. One week later they are still loving it, in fact they seem to get more out of it each time they watch it. The songs and dance routines are suberb, it's a lot better than I think I imagined it would be.
I'm no great Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, but that's not really the point. I don't think that you need to be to recognise when something is well done. And whilst it may help? to have seen the stage show before, it's clearly not essential to enjoy the DVD. Sometimes it can be the opposite, as people may feel a film version does not live up to their expectations/memories of the live show.
If you are considering buying this then please do, and for goodness sake, do not worry AT ALL about this being unsuitable for children. Some previous reviews commenting on it's unsuitablity for children are way off the mark. I can only imagine they live in households where table cloths are required to reach to the floor, lest young ladies in the house are offended by the sight of the table legs!...

5.0 out of 5 stars A video that you'll want to watch again and again., 11 Aug. 2000
This review is from: Cats [VHS] [1998] (VHS Tape)
CATS, the longest running musical has been captured perfectly on this video to combine the amazing choreography and spectacular music in a way that makes you feel as though you are there. Admittedly there isn't that magical feeling that comes with a live performance but what this video lacks in atmosphere it makes up in detail. The make-up is stunning and, along with the costumes, goes a long way towards making the characters come to life. There is only so much that make-up and costumes can do and the actors really do excel themsleves. Unlike in a live performance the audience is able to see the fantastic facial expressions of the actors, notably Geoffrey Garrat whose face is so animated during "Skimbleshanks" it is almost scary. There are excellent performances by John Partridge and Rosemarie Ford and Sir John Mills gives a moving rendition of "Gus The Theatre Cat". Elaine Paige's adaptation of "Memory" is a showstopper but for me the star of the show has to be Jacob Brent as Mr. Mistoffelees, his performance is nothing short of breath taking. This video is for everyone, young or old, and you'll want to watch it again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic show on a flawed disc, 27 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
A number of the songs in Webber's musical rank amongst my favorite songs of all time. This musical is a fantastic mix of song and ballet that rarely bores you; pure delight. The makeup is excellent, as are the performances of the dancers. I was slightly disappointed with the video quality of this DVD, though, as it doesn't seem much better than VHS. To its credit, though, it does include a lengthy "making of" footage that fans will enjoy, as well as an interview with Webber himself.

3.0 out of 5 stars It could be much better, 3 Oct. 2013
The magnificent production of "Cats" got very poor blu ray transfer. The sound is gorgeous, but the picture quality is mostly horrible, very grainy. After all, it's better then DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars My fave musical ever!, 28 Mar. 2008
Ms. J. D. French "Bambina" (Bedford, England) - See all my reviews
CATS - Is one of the best musicals I have ever had the chance to see. I originally recorded the film when it premiered on TV about 6-7 years ago, but I watched the video so much, it soon died, so I brought the DVD.

The magic, music, costumes and singing, is totally brilliant and well thought of. It certainly has helped me with my singing and confidence to sing in front of other people.

Well done Andrew Lloyd Webber and the Really Useful Group for creating such a magical, phenomonal, musical.

Julia

‹ Previous | 1 2 334 | Next ›

Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free]
Cats - Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1998] [Region Free] by Trevor Nunn David Mallet (Blu-ray - 2013)