on 26 January 2014
Being an avid sci-fi fan, I'm always on the look out for a book large enough to lose myself in for a good length of time and worth coming back to time and again, and this one certainly fills those criteria.

Having read and re-read H.G. Wells collection of short stories interminably since my youth, I'm so pleased to have another in the same league. Yes, there are stories in it I've read before but that was inevitable but there are also plenty I haven't. On Kindle it's not as wrist breaking as the book itself must be with this much content but I feel I'll also be buying the real book to go on my library shelves as, like H.G. Wells, I'm sure it will become a firm friend. Best collections of short stories for a long while, I heartily recommend it to all sci-fi fans and chrononauts in particular.. :-)
on 20 November 2013
This is a huge, beautiful collection! An excellent range of stories, with all the big hitters you'd hope for included and some new gems to discover. Its something to dip in and out of. I've got the hardback because I love to have it on my shelf, but I could imagine the kindle would work too as its so huge and heavy you can only read it for so long!

A book to treasure, makes a great gift too.
on 19 March 2014
"He...remembered the future with increasing melancholy." -- C.J. Cherryh

After their definitive international anthology of horror and dark fantasy, The Weird: A Compendium of Strange and Dark Stories, I was wondering what the Vandermeers would do for an encore. That turns out to be a 960-page time travel fantasy anthology chock full of stories most of us won't have read before.

Note the word "fantasy." The editors have deliberately downplayed what they call the "decidedly science-fictional" time paradox story (epitomized by the absent "By His Bootstraps" and "-All You Zombies-") in favor of fantasy stories with time travel backgrounds: their preface namechecks 11.22.63,The Time Traveler's Wife, and How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe -- a thriller, a romance, and a comedy, all bestsellers, none of them marketed as science fiction -- as examples of where the time travel story has gone to find a popular audience these days. (That doesn't even include Hollywood, where time travel has never gone out of fashion.)

Only "A Sound of Thunder," "Vintage Season," a four-page excerpt from THE TIME MACHINE, and perhaps Ursula Le Guin's "Another Story, or A Fisherman of the Inland Sea" will be overfamiliar to SF readers. Otherwise there's a staggering list of writing talent on display, much of it plucked from out-of-print books and online magazines. Shuffled into four broad categories separated by brief nonfiction interludes (Jason Heller on music, Genevieve Valentine on fashion, Stan Love on the science of time travel, and Charles Yu, typically for this author, on introspective self-analysis), the Vandermeers have assembled an anthology that'll keep the reader pleasurably occupied for weeks. If one makes the time for it.
Ah, the chance to surf the waves of time with a whole host of writers, both past and present in a wonderfully edited book from Ann and Jeff Vandermeer. It has some absolute crackers within and when added to the chance to try authors that you may not have had the finances to spend on the off chance, gives you something truly wonderful to try.

My only real criticism of this book is that at 1000 pages its not lightweight and feel more like something to bludgeon someone with rather than something to sit back and enjoy. That said, if you were wanting this to take on a journey's I'd suggest purchasing the Ebook version, it's a great way to break away from the mundane world and lose some time as you travel the ages with this magnificent selection of authors. Especially when you add a cracking playlist such as the ones supplied within. Magic.
on 18 December 2013
I have always been facinated about stories involving time travel and so collect up books whenever I spot one. Consequently over the years I have amassed quite a collection myself of Time Travel related stories. I can catagorically say therefore that this (in my opinion) is the best collection of Time Travel books I have ever stumbled across and I wholeheartedly encourage anyone into Science Fiction to get this collection. What you will receive is a brilliant well thought out collection of the best time travel related stories..and each story has a great preface about the author who wrote it. Combine all this with an e-book with a proper table of contents and you have something difficult to beat.
on 18 February 2014
Firstly WOW. This is genuinely one of the best anthologies I have ever read. And the best part is I've now been introduced to dozens of new authors.

In the 60+ stories offered the methods range from phonecalls to magic houses and from spaceships to dancing. the breadth and depth of the ways that time travel is used is incredible.

Some of the stories that have stuck with me are:

Enoch Soames: A memory of the 1890s by Max Beerbohm.
- time travel via a deal with the devil. a writer travels forward to the 1990s to see how he is remembered

This Tragic Glass by Elizabeth Bear
- Literary scholars of the future save long dead poets from early deaths so that they may continue to write in the future ( as an English grad I loved this one)

Lost Continent by Greg Egan
- This story of time travelling war refugees critiques the red tape around very real immigration detention camps

Red Letter Day by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Before graduating high schoolers receive a messagef rom their 50 year old self telling them what to change in the future. This story follows the students who don't get a letter.

Highly recommended
on 14 December 2013
Many of these short stories will be familiar to SF hard nuts (a lot won't!). Not read it all yet, but seems to have been lovingly curated by the editors, providing author bios and notes, and other extraneous bits and bobs.

If you are a SF fan this will revisit the old and explore the new. If you are relatively new to the genre enjoy!
on 14 January 2014
I bought this as a 99p Kindle offer and have been reading it for weeks. In print I believe it would have run to over 1000 pages, so at this price it was amazing value.

The stories are grouped into types, and each has an intro about the authors and their works, which I found very informative.

I was grateful for the preface's warning that "We cannot recommend the eel-skin 2040 edition, for example, nor the “cheese cloth” edition of 2079." so now I don't need to look for them!
on 4 June 2014
The subject of time travel has always fascinated me.so when I saw this book and the price ,it was a no brainer.there were stories I loved,and ones I didn't.that it what was great about it.
If you didn't like one story flick to the next one. I was also fascinated with all the different versions of time travel stories.highly recommended.just think as I was writing this it was the future and when I have stopped it will be the past.the way I see time anyway is one endless loop.enjoy.
on 28 May 2014
This is a great book for anyone who likes short stories and tales that require you to engage your brain. I bought the Kindle version for an absolute steal (£1.09!!) and have been dipping into it on train and bus journeys for a couple of weeks now and I'm still only 30% of the way through. An absolute bargain.