5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Action/Horror Story!!
Published 13 months ago by BigPappaD

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombies in Wales
Published 14 months ago by John Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Action/Horror Story!!, 30 July 2013
This was a really awesome read and I wanted to recommend it. I liked the detail in the characters, the solid gory set pieces felt fresh and imaginative but the horror always felt real. I enjoyed the local setting, lots of nice touches, and a little social commentary to boot. Look forward to reading the sequel. Plus I've lent it to a friend at work, she's halfway through and loves it so far. Nice!!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
Addictive read, could not put this down until I finished, I've not downloaded the further 3 books to help me through the family Christmas

5.0 out of 5 stars First class, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
Just finished reading panic ... amazing read from start to finish , could not put it down , can't wait to start the next one .

4.0 out of 5 stars Good debut, 11 April 2014
H. Cawte (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, and found it a very quick read. Griffiths' style is occasionally a bit overblown, but the characters are good and the handling of the multiple viewpoints is very assured. It's good to read a zombie novel set somewhere other than the USA, and I'll be reading the others in the series just to see what happens to the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced, exciting, gory and brilliant, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
I loved this novella and I can definitely see this being adapted into film.

Questions are asked from the very beginning about what is taking over the town and you are left guessing throughout. The ending leaves further unanswered questions setting the scene perfectly for "Shock" the second in the series.

You genuinely care about the main characters Rachel, Jason and Michael and the way the novel is written you can put yourself into their shoes.

Victor is extremely sinister from the moment he is introduced and he becomes more so as the novel goes on. (I can see Gary Oldman playing him).

Overall a fantastic read, leaving you wanting more. 100% recommend and I would love to see this on the big screen. Looking forward to reading "Shock"

4.0 out of 5 stars Page Turner, 7 Aug 2013
This book was recommended by a friend since she knows I like my horrors :-)

The book quickly introduced several of the characters and the storyline is fast moving with the action starting up fairly quickly. It was almost impossible to put the book down!

It is well written and the characters are likeable - I found myself wanting certain characters to be okay at the end, as well as wishing a certain character would have a really painful death!

The only little annoyance for me was that although the whole book is based on the events of one day, the last chapter or 2 covered five days, and I didn't feel it had enough happening to cover 5 days but having discussed this with my friend, it has been suggested that this maybe because the characters are isolated and disorientated at the end in which case it does come across like that.

Overall, a very enjoyable read and I am very much looking forward to the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. Proper creepy - was almost to scared to finish it!!

Well written and well developed characters.

I'm going to make my sister read this it will give her NIGHTMARES!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Strangely captivating, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1) (Kindle Edition)
When I first started reading this book, it felt slightly like I was reading a piece of GCSE course work, but the more I read, the more I was drawn in.

The premise it old, but still seems fresh. Not sure about the dogs-eye view, but the rest of the writing was entertaining and not too repetitive.

Am definitely going to read the 2nd book, but will reserve judgement on paying for the rest of the series until I have finished that one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zombies in Wales, 17 July 2013
John Williams (Apeldoorn, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
St Davids and the surrounding coastline is in my opinion one of the most magical places on earth, an ideal setting for a horror story. This is what initially attracted me to 'Panic', a zombie tale with a local, rural flavour. I enjoyed the book, though, unlike some other reviewers, I didn't find it terribly scary - more 'Shaun of the Dead' than 'Dawn of the Dead'. I'm not sure if this was the author's intention, but it didn't spoil the book for me. The descriptions of St Davids and the surrounding countryside are not 100% accurate. For example, the real St Davids has no railway station, its cathedral has no spire, and there are no extensive forests nearby. At first I found this irritating, but soon came to accept that this is a mythical St Davids, which the author has moulded to his purposes, a bit like Philip Pullman's Oxford or John Cowper Powys's Glastonbury. The characters are well drawn and, although there is a certain predictability in all zombie stories, the plot has enough intrigue to keep one's interest to the end and beyond. This is the first book in a series, and, while it also stands alone as a novel, there are enough cliffhangers to arouse ones interest in what is to come. This is a good first novel. There are some typos and inaccuracies, but fewer than I have come to expect from most self-published ebooks. The book has a strong, attention grabbing opening, and an ending which leaves the reader wanting more. In between there are a few plodding, less stylish passages, but the overall effect is satisfying. Not quite sure what category it belongs in; is it a genuine horror story, or is it a spoof along the lines of the 'Aberystwyth Noir' series? Perhaps we should regard it as an essential educational book; come the zombie apocalypse you'll be glad you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for a first novel., 16 July 2013
Pyewacket "czarnowice" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I am not sure whether you would class this book as horror or science fiction but whatever genre it is, it is pretty scary and gory too.

Strange capsules have dropped out of the sky and delivered their payload, a virus. A really nasty one at that!

One capsule/canister drops into the sleepy little town of St. David's and the carnage begins at the Bay Restaurant where a customer is nursing a pretty grim hangover. Suddenly the door opens and in walks the local Priest carrying a recently severed head.

There are only two Policeman in St.David's one is Michael Evans the other Carl Wilkins. Carl loves his food but his Wife insists he only eats Muesli for breakfast so they go up to the Bay Restaurant where Carl can have a decent meal. What greets them there is carnage.

Apart from Michael, the only other main players are Rachel her Brother Jason and a strange man called Victor who lives in a kind of nuclear bunker in the woods.

Now starts the game of cat and mouse, the first three desperately trying to avoid being bitten.

Victor who has lived in total isolation for many years has something to do with this virus but what part did he play?

An excellent first novel written very fluidly and leaving you wanting to keep on reading and reading until you reach the end.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Panic (Wildfire Chronicles Vol. 1)